One Direction: Overrated or Outstanding? | Teen Ink

One Direction: Overrated or Outstanding?

By kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other
kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Thoreau
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

Today at lunch time, I find myself sitting out in the sunshine, about 2 meters away from our group’s ‘spot’ near C Block, and attempting to soak up what little Vitamin D can be found in the straggling winter rays. We are all flushed after having done sport, and are chatting animatedly, though there are a couple who shade their eyes and sulk away the Monday morning blues. As one friend who is usually the centre of everything, making jokes and playing the energetic idiot, is abnormally quiet, I seek her out, plugged in with her iPhone 3. Is the device a little too extravagant for a 13-year-old? Not by today’s standards.

I watch her mouthing the words to the song she’s listening to. I can make out, coupled with her literal hand gestures, what the singer(s) are singing (or rather, as most seem to these days, saying) and I understand: ‘You’ve got that one thing! Get out, get out, get out of my head…’ Pointing to everyone, telling us we possess a particular characteristic/product and suggesting we stop occupying her mind. Huh.
Honestly, it’s not that I hate One Direction, or any other band/singer/artist. In fact, I watched them on The X Factor before they were famous and watched them audition as individuals – and yes, they had talent. But they also had good – no, great – looks, which is why it was very clever of Simon Cowell to put them together, I reckon.

As my friend takes out her headphones, the lyrics suddenly triggering something in her memory, she exclaims, ‘Oh, guess what Amelia said to me yesterday,’ she asks rhetorically, referring to her younger sister who has begun Kindergarten this year. ‘I bought One Direction mag, ‘cause of the posters, and she goes “OMG! Zayn is sooooo hot! And he has a cute love heart on his tummy!” I was like, “Really, Amelia, really?!” And then Mum walks in and goes, “Liam’s the sexiest,” and I was like, “No WAY!” Isn’t that hilarious?!’

We all nod and laugh, some of us exclaiming, ‘Your sister’s only five!’ Others among us ask, ‘How old is your Mum?’ (the answer to which is 35). Amidst all this, I am thinking many things, mostly: ‘Is it just me or are they slightly overrated?’

Sure, they can sing. But there are limits to where you can say that it is their talent for which they are famous rather than the fact they are good-looking teenage hear-throbs who most girls spend their love on. I have to say, I am absolutely disgusted when someone says something along the lines of, ‘One Direction are such excellent singers and that’s why I love them’. No, I’m pretty sure if they looked like the weird creep on the bus you wouldn’t say that about them.

If what I am saying is true (note that I say ‘if’), does this go to show that we judge way more on physical appearance than we should? And anyway, who can say how much we can judge? What particularly makes my blood boil is when girls tell the world they are passionate and go to great lengths (crying when they don’t get concert tickets, flying to the other side of the country without their parents knowing to see them) about the band and then the same girls say the boys are ‘hot’, and then also remind every single person they come into contact with that: ‘Don’t judge me’; please tell me, aren’t you being the slightest bit hypocritical?

This is my perspective of the matter. I don’t want to pick any fights with anyone. What I’m trying to say is, if you love them, truly acknowledge what it is about them that you love so much. If you aren’t so much into them, why hate? To discriminate only generates hate, and when you hate, you’re bound to get irate! (Black Eyed Peas, Where is the Love?) This is my opinion, which in itself is probably a tad overrated…or outstanding. You tell me!

My viewpoint on the whole subject that is One Direction - who seem to be everywhere these days! I am determined to prove that girls need to see clearly what they are attracted to...and yes, this is all coming from a girl.

DC19 said...
They're definitely overrated by you - saying they had talent on the X Factor and that they're 'great looking'. They're all talentless and the only ones who are even remotely attractive are Zayn and Liam. If none of them were famous the other three wouldn't even get a second look in the street.   Despite the above, I do agree however that society places far too much importance on physical appearance.

Reshii BRONZE said...
Reshii BRONZE, Bariloche, Other

"Lettuce is like conversation; it must be fresh and crisp, so sparkling that you scarcely notice the bitter in it."

I'm a directioner too but you're one of the creepiest I've seen, dear! Why do you even bother commenting?

schuy PLATINUM said...
schuy PLATINUM, Chatham, Virginia

"Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion." ~Rumi

Really nicely written article! I can see where you are coming from, and I know that a lot of girls do like One Direction just for their looks.  I think that a lot of the time people are drawn to One Direction's members because of their appearance, but then end up falling in love with everything else.  I know that's what happened to me.  I don't simply like them because have how they look.  I like their music, their personalities, the way they make me smile even when I'm crying.  And now I can honestly say that even if they weren't attractive I would still love them dearly.  I mean, I'm a huge Coldplay and Jason Mraz fan, but they're not the most attractive.

pumpkinsara1 said...
pumpkinsara1, Fairfax, Virginia

If you aim for no where, that's exactly where you'll go.

I am a huge directioner. They cover my bedroom walls, my locker, and my binders, but i do agree at where you're coming from. They do have talent, and OUTSTANDING LOOKS, but i guess they can't compare to musics biggest stars. I do think that they could get there if they reach a bigger audience, and practice their musical skills but for a breakout boyband, i don't think they're doing so bad. 

Emmazing GOLD said...
Emmazing GOLD, Alexandria, Virginia

I'm simply complicated.

I completely agree with your perspective, I know tons of people who are obsessed with one direction but they don't seem to have a good reason why. I think your writing is fanominal and you should definately stick with it! :)

on Jun. 11 2012 at 1:38 am
Hi, I don't know who 'LisePort' is but she is absolutely biased. Firstly, if she'd bothered to read the actual article, she'd know that the writer, a fantastic one at that, has already made the disclaimer that she is just making her own opinion heard, incidentally like you did with that comment. I honestly think you are disgusting, the way you are being so judgmental and disgraceful. You ought to take your obsessed idea of talent somewhere else. Anyway - I loved this article! Good work Kate!

LisePort said...
on Jun. 11 2012 at 1:28 am
Hmm, I like your perspective but...I LOVE 1D! OMG, they are absolutely AMAZAYN, you have to admit!!!! But good article, I suppose. If you want to diss someone though you should do it in person, just sayin. ONE DIRECTIOOOOOON! wooooo i love you larry stylinson <3