Sweet 16 - NOT. | Teen Ink

Sweet 16 - NOT.

By LittleLadybird GOLD, Carrickfergus, Other
LittleLadybird GOLD, Carrickfergus, Other

To be nobody but yourself in a world that is trying it's hardest every night and day to change you into everyone else is to fight the hardest battle a human being can fight, and never stop fighting.

My 16th birthday began when I woke up and, instead of running downstairs, I hid in my room for several hours. Reading, going on Facebook, listening to music, etc. This was because my parents had been waiting to give me my present ever since the day they bought it. They had phoned me, sounding excited and telling me about this fantastic present which they knew I would love. They were so happy I hated to disappoint then for I knew what the present was-and hated it.

The Christmas before they had suggested getting me new speakers to which I said, “No thank you.” I already had decent speakers which I rarely used because I prefer earphones which I can walk around in. I would not only never use new speakers, but I didn’t want them. The only problem was, I never really wanted anything, birthday or Christmas, so they could choose whatever they wanted.

Eventually I snuck downstairs for lunch and they caught me, sat me down and told me to open it. We ended up having a huge argument over it, with me refusing to open the present. I truly didn’t want to spoil their happiness, to seem ungrateful and to have to ask them, “Please can you take it back?” Eventually I was back in my room, crying at the unfairness of it all. Hiding, arguing, then hiding again in my room, on the birthday on which you are meant to feel like a princess.

That basically went on for the rest of the day. Manyarguments. I opened it and explained why I wouldn’t use it and asked Dad would take it back, he told me he was, “Very disappointed in your ungrateful behaviour, you will really upset your mum.” Then we had another argument when I pointed out, “I told you I didn’t want speakers at Christmas, you completely ignored that or didn’t even listen and I’M the only one to blame here?” Safe to say, that didn’t go down well.

So, what happened on my 16th birthday? No birthday cake, no happy birthdays, no party, but I can happily say my friend called round and gave me a present and more importantly company for a while. Oh, and the cheery, sometimes odd messages on Facebook from friends saying “Happy birthdaaaaaaay! :D” were absolutely amazing.

I don't care about parties or presents, but not seeing anyone and fighting the whole day was what this piece is really about.