Watermelon | Teen Ink

Watermelon

November 3, 2012
By LivyNewhall DIAMOND, Palm Coast, Florida
LivyNewhall DIAMOND, Palm Coast, Florida
69 articles 15 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be the change that you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi


To most people, watermelon is just a general food. To me, watermelon has a meaning. When I was younger, my great uncle Billy and I used to eat watermelon together all the time. My great uncle Billy passed away years ago of Lung Cancer. He never told anybody that he was sick, and refused to go to the hospital. The last day I saw him some of our family had come to my grandpas house to see uncle Billy. He lived in Massachusetts so we didn’t get to see him much.

Every time I eat watermelon I think of the last time I saw him. We were in my grandpas house and he was holding a plate of watermelon. He handed me the plate and asked me if I wanted any. Watermelon has always been my favorite fruit so of course I took some. That was the very last time that I saw him. I never got to go to his funeral, because it was in Massachusetts. I’m just glad that I have that memory.

My entire family misses him a lot, but I have nothing but good memories when it comes to him. Sometimes it can be hard to think back to that last day I saw him. You can’t help but feel like you could have done something. I know he’ll always be with me at heart, and of course when I eat watermelon. Even though the memory that I have of that last day doesn’t sound special, it was. It holds a lot of meaning.


The author's comments:
Not a day goes by that I don't miss my great Uncle Billy.