Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

_Mags_ SILVER said...
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

creepy, i say if that happens to you again yell stalker into the phone and see what happens - if they laugh its a prank.

iheartyouhhhx3 BRONZE, Tewksbury, Massachusetts

"Life's a Climb but the view is great"

omg i would have been so scared. it kind of reminds me of when a stranger calls. but anyway good job on the writing. i could picutre everything that was going on

ill be super scared if i were home alone and that happened , but you did a good job

respecturself7 SILVER, Medina, New York

There is a natural law in life to settle.....I broke that law ~Katherine Hepburn
Love, Is the severest of mental diseases~U.K.
Spinning always spinning....when life puts me down I'll give you a call~respecturself7

Holy c***! Talk about getting flashbacks from when a stranger calls! I was so scared for you! I've had scary stuff like that happen, but not to that extreme!

oh my gosh i'd be freaked out! i would be so scared, when i stay home by myself im scared thats going 2 happen 2 me, i m scared even when my mom is just dropping my brother off at the pool. that would be freaky, u shopuld called the cops and the bye-bye part oh god i probably woulda fanted always have a big baseball bat around just in case!!

collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin

A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie

Talk about being afraid! fortunately for him, he had a friend who cared enough to go help him. good story!

alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

Silence screams too honestly and loudly.
-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four.
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2
"What a drag it was to be limited by reality."

This story definately paints a picture in my mind and I can kind of relate to it. I'm not to crazy about staying home alone at night myself. I'm kinda really super paranoid so I'm definately a lock-the-door-when-I'm-alone type person.

HeyAmanda SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
when i am home alone i lock all the doors and keep the lights on because i wacth America's most wanted and too many scary movies.but that doesnt keep my cell phone safe. someone with a restricted number called me and left a voicemail(my phone automaticaly blocks restriced) saying they watch me ,know where i live, know when i leave for school, and thats not so bad-but they mentioned my brothers all in a creepy voice. i alerted my family and called all friends to make sure it wasnt a prank call and learned that my firned had gotten a similar message i was so scared 

kyute96 said...
this story is sooooooo scary

PastorsKid said...
PastorsKid, Saint Charles, Missouri

One is not necessarily born with courage,but one is born with potential.

This would definitely scare me.I probably would've armed myself with my 500+ page biology book(let's see a burgalur get up after getting hit with that!)and hid in the nearest closet.You did really well staying calm.

Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

You don't think getting, like, 10 dead-end calls and then having a stranger's car chilling in your driveway for 30 minutes is a little wierd?

AddisonElizabeth, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

this scared mee:(

mikky said...
wow this had my heat racing. i liked how you ended it with bye-bye ...very scary. keep wrigting

Xblue_raspberryX SILVER, Greensburg, Pennsylvania

I may not be Mrs. America or popular at school, but i do a lot of nice sh** in life. I want some attention too!

holy crap that would scare the heck out of me!!! did you tell your parents what heppened when they got home?

RipponLeaEnergise BRONZE, Clayton, Other

"how wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"

Anne Frank

something like that happened to me. except the stranger was drunk and he forced his way through the door and made a scar on my face. i was 11. it was horrific.

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
I would have been so scared if that happened to me. Did this really happen? It was probably some random kid pranking you.

squeak BRONZE said...
squeak BRONZE, Redding, California

If you are true to love, love will be true to you. people are not evil just missjuided.

ya i agree with the base ball bat lol XD i clunched to one being home alone for the first time in years. lol

this was a good read :D

krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Wow. I have to admit I would be very creeped out if this happened- congrats on playing it cool. You probably should have called the police and definitely have had the doors locked, though.

Ilikecows said...
First of all - this was a very well written article. But I am very concerned about your way of dealing with the calls and unfamiliar car. You should always lock the doors when you're home alone. Always. Just in case something like this ever happens (which it did). Also, you really should have called the police. If you felt threatened, and they were there for so long, then it definitely warrented a phone call. If possible, you should have also have gotten the license plate number of the car, as well as writing down a detailed description of the vehicle (for the police). You didn't go out and confront them, which is good, but your way of dealing with situations like this could be much better (and safer!).

HannahBananah BRONZE, St. Paul, Minnesota

Nothing is as mean as giving a child something useful for Christmas:)

That is extremely creepy. Woah.