Little City | Teen Ink

Little City

October 22, 2013
By raidersrock08 GOLD, Hillsborough, New Jersey
raidersrock08 GOLD, Hillsborough, New Jersey
12 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"positive attituide bring positive results"


The smell of the filthy city streets brings me into my meditation. Gym sticking on the back of my shoes, while Holly Jolly Christmas plays into my inner ear. A warm hand grabs me and reminds me that I am safe. The city streets in a rhythm while me being pushed around. Smoke coming out of the top of the buildings, while Taxi drivers are speeding against me, honking their horns to show their impatient. A homeless man begging for one cent to buy another back of cigarettes. But, I just stand in the middle of all of this with my eyes pointing straight to heaven. Heaven; where I see the crown on top of the Cartier Manhattan store.

I look around waiting for that opening to look inside the store, while I hustle my parent stop moving around the city streets of Manhattan to get in line first. The line was out of the door, with every wealthy women in the city ready to be brought their new year’s engagement ring, by their wealthy boyfriends. It is so unfair I am only eight years old and I only could dream to be just like them. So I walked out clutching my little hand to my Daddy’s back pocket. As we move back into the bustling Manhattan streets, I come across a mailbox about a foot away from the heaven of the crown of the Cartier store. I run as fast as I can towards the mailbox of what appeared to be diamonds, and I ask my father to sit me on the top of it. He pulls me up and I sit on the top of the box with my big crooked smile on my face. I’m all bunched up in my winter coat with my beautiful Cartier crown right on top of me. It was the perfect match, better than the bracelet every women had gotten in that store. Mom took the picture, and I hopped off the mailbox back to the bustling streets of the city I called home.

As I look back at the huge crown sparkling in the most of my view, standing perfectly on top of the Cartier store, I begin to smile. I think to myself how a piece of jewelry can resemble one person with memories they can mold. But, a picture can illustrate more than just that one person. It can resemble millions of other people with many memories that throughout the years can be the diamond bracelet they were hoping to unwrap.