Just Waiting | Teen Ink

Just Waiting

My name means many things. All of its meanings assert a form of power, but it all means nothing when it comes to her going away.

It was going so well over the summer. This was my sanctuary, my place of peace, just sitting back and enjoying life with her. My life felt complete when we met. But I didn’t see the inevitable end of relaxing and talking with her as we lay carelessly on the couch, watching as day slowly drifts by.

She was off to college and I was off to my last year of high school. As we said our goodbyes I realized that I wouldn’t see her from then on. Only maintaining contact through phone calls and Facebook. I would be off to college in Florida next year and she’ll be at Oshkosh. This aching pain, this weight of sadness sweeping over me is sinking my heart further into my stomach. We may still be together but those seventy-seven miles feels like it’s an eternity away and will only grow bigger once this year is over.

So here I am now, waiting. Waiting for the years to pass me by. Waiting for the memories to sink into the ancient history of my thoughts long passed. And waiting for the day that we will meet again. Just. Waiting.