All-Terrain | Teen Ink

All-Terrain

May 2, 2014
By Anonymous

Tucker Bratz
P. 5
January 18, 2014

The tires were supposed to be all-terrain. A boy named Jeffery Dean ended up stuck in a farmers field with all of his friends. His day started out like a normal day, he goes to high school in Centerville IA and works in town at the lumber yard. He had a nice dodge pickup truck but a lot of his friends made fun of it because they were Chevy fans. Jeff usually ignored them and went on with his business. He had plans made after work to pick up his friends on the square and go drive around in his truck just like every weekend. Before Jeff had gone to work he dropped his truck off at Bratz gas station to get new all-terrain tires put on because his other ones were almost shot. I was the one he dropped the truck off to to put the tires on because I work there and we are best friends. He had already gotten the tires ordered so they were already in the building waiting to be put on. He left the truck I grabbed the tires and started doing what I do best and mounted and balanced his brand new tires and put them on the truck. When I was finished I parked his truck around back and waited for 8 o’clock to get off work to go try out the new tired with him, Zack and Josh.

After what seemed like forever it was closing time JD had already picked up his truck and I was on my way home to shower and get ready to go meet them uptown. When I left the house I grabbed the usual stuff wallet, phone, keys, and my iPod. I have a red heeler that I usually take with me every time I go out or uptown but since his truck was going to be full I decided to leave him at home. I told my mom I was leaving and went out and got into my truck. I called Josh and made sure his parents would let him leave because he is usually on a leash and can never do anything. I headed to his house is was around 8:40 when I picked him up he said that he had to be home at 11:30. Josh and I headed up to the square to meet up with Zack and JD. When we got up town we started driving around the circle over and over like we always do, we pulled in next to them and started talking about what we were going to do tonight. JD started talking about how he wanted to test out his new tires. It was a pretty damp night it had rained the night before so it was a perfect time to test out the new tires. We decided we were going to go mudding, we all got in JD's truck and headed to subway to get something to eat before we left town. My truck stayed uptown and when we get back to town I was going to pick it up then.

We got done eating and we were ready to head down towards the Missouri border and find some mud roads. We were cruising down that direction and finally found a level b road to go down. We started down the road and the truck started to stop so JD threw it in 4 wheel drive. We barley made it out and when we got back on the gravel JD was wondering why is brand new all-terrain tires were having that much trouble going through that mud. We just kept on going and decided to try out a field, when you mud in a farmers field you have to be very careful and not get caught. We found the field we were going to drive through so we headed on in. It started off pretty fun and then we instantly sunk, JD put his truck in 4 wheel drive but it didn’t change anything. We all got out of the truck and looked at the tires that is when JD looked at me and said these are not the tires I paid for. He was very angry at me until I explained to him that he had never told me the tired he ordered were all-terrain, he realized then that I was just the guy who put them on and the other guys had told me these were the right tires. That’s when we started thinking of a plan, we decided not to start the truck again and make more noise for the farmer to hear. The second thing was figuring out how to get out of the mud. We all knew it needed to be a quiet and heavy truck, I started thinking and my grandpas tow truck came to mind it was a diesel which gave it more weight and it was very quiet. The only problem was he does not take calls on level B roads or in muddy fields. Me and josh ran back to centerville snuck in to the garage took the truck out quickly pulled the truck out when we got into the road the trucks were covered in mud we decided to go to the car was but at about that time there was the farmer chasing us we split out of there and went separate ways. After about twenty minutes of running we met at the car wash I cleaned the tow truck and returned it as fast as I could. JD picked me up at my grandpas house we took Josh home who was late at this time but we didn’t care. The rest of us crashed at Zacks house that night and none ever knew about what happened but us.