That One Time in My Life | Teen Ink

That One Time in My Life

By Laura Wagner BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
Laura Wagner BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado

It had been a problem for almost my entire childhood. Breathing and sleep didn’t work together well. I was in and out of different doctors and specialists for many years; having different tests and being prescribed different revolting medications.  Until one day, the doctors decided I needed to get a tonsillectomy. I went in early in the morning and it did not start the way a terrified 9 year old would like. The novice nurse did not put the IV in correctly and there was blood all over. I went into surgery. All I wanted to do after surgery was go home but that’s not what happened.  I had to stay in the hospital for days because I could not breathe properly. I remember waking up in pain at two in the morning with doctors and nurses around me. I was freaked out. When it was finally time to go home, I was ecstatic but there was one catch. I had to wear oxygen at night for the next six months. That sleepover less six months seemed to take eternity. After a while and a few minor surgeries later, the old childhood problem was almost conquered.