Helen Keller and I | Teen Ink

Helen Keller and I

December 5, 2014
By Allison Herman BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
Allison Herman BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Life is either a great adventure or nothing” said by Helen Keller. On a warm April evening in 2012, my track coach, Mr. Harper, told me that I was going to be doing the high jump. I was in the sixth grade and it was my first year in track. I was not very happy that I would be doing something that I had never done before. Like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I too overcame my fear of doing the high jump.
Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate with anyone. When Helen was a baby, she got sick and then became blind and deaf after her illness took place. Her  parents did not know how to control her. Her family would give her a piece of candy every time she threw a tantrum to make her calm down The Keller’s had to hire Annie Sullivan to teach Helen to communicate. After weeks of trying to teach Helen, Annie was able to teach Helen trust, obedience, and language. By teaching her these things, it helped Helen overcome her obstacle of not being able to communicate.
Like Helen Keller, I also had to overcome an obstacle. My obstacle was my fear of doing the high jump in track. I was only in sixth grade and the bar was terrifying to me!I never thought I would be able to jump over it without knocking it off. Everyone started cheering me on, which that made me want to do it. The people that were holding the bar lowered it more than what it normally is, which is three-foot six inches. I ran, jumped over the bar, and landed on the mat. I knew Mr. Harper had confidence in me, which meant a lot to me because coaches do not normally show that. It ended greatly, and I had finally overcame my fear. I only landed on the bar a few times after that, but that is what made me keep trying because I wanted to get over the bar without hitting it.
Although Helen and I’s obstacles were different, we share a few similarities. Helen and I both had to have someone there to teach us things that would help us overcome our problem. Helen and I were successful at overcoming our obstacles, thanks to practice. We had the support of our friends and family to help us through it.
I learned something from both of  Helen and I’s experiences. I learned from Helen’s experience that it is very difficult to teach someone to do something new that they should already know naturally, which in her case was communicating. I learned from my experience that if you have confidence in yourself, then you can overcome anything in life. “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality” by Walt Disney.