Obstacles | Teen Ink

Obstacles

By Lucas Harmon BRONZE, Dundas, Illinois
Lucas Harmon BRONZE, Dundas, Illinois

“Alone we can do so little ; together we can do so much” said Helen Keller, and she knows that is true first hand, because alone she could not overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate, but together, with her teacher they did. When I was really young about eight, I was in a very happy family, with my parents, and my two older brothers, but then my oldest brother moved out. About two years later, my other brother moved out. Much like Helen overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I overcame the obstacle of my brothers moving out.
Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate with other people. When Helen was a baby, she got very ill, and became blind and deaf. The Keller’s hired Annie Sullivan to come and try to teach Helen. Annie had taught Helen to trust people, obedience, language, and how to communicate.
Like Helen Keller, I also had to overcome an obstacle in life. My obstacle was my brothers moving out when I was really young. I overcame it by doing what you always do, give it time, and do other things, and forget about it. They had an impact on my life, and I have overcome them leaving.
Although our obstacles are different, we share a few similarities. One of them is that both of our families were involved in our obstacles. Another is that we both had new opportunities to do different things. Even though they are two totally different obstacles, we have a few similarities.
It does not matter if you are blind and deaf, or your brothers moved out, you can overcome obstacles in life. What I learned from Helen’s obstacle is that if you work hard and do not give up, you can do anything, just look at what Annie did. What I learned from my obstacle is that family will be there for you, but not always. If you face an obstacle in life, remember Helen Keller, if she can learn to communicate while being blind and deaf, you can overcome your obstacle.