Fun Days are Over | Teen Ink

Fun Days are Over

By Trinity Milburn BRONZE, Noble, IL, Illinois
Trinity Milburn BRONZE, Noble, IL, Illinois

In the famous words of Helen Keller, “Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye”. The day I had to start my horrible obstacle I knew the fun days were over. My sister was asked to go to college fourteen hours away. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I too overcame my older but little sister going to college.
Helen Keller had to overcome her obstacle of not being able to communicate. At a young age Helen lost her sight and hearing from an unknown sickness. Helen was petrified because no one could tell her what was happening. The Kellers decided to help Helen by hiring Annie Sullivan to teach Helen. Annie needed to teach Helen trust in order to teach anything else like obedience and communication. Communication was the hardest to teach because Helen did not understand the meaning of words, Helen just knew the word itself and how to spell it. Helen’s first word she fully understood was “water.”
Like Helen Keller, I also had an obstacle to overcome like Taylor, my sister going to college at Texas A&M University. I am proud that my sister is working hard. It saddens me that if I come home from a bad day Taylor and I can not drive to McDonalds or go tp-ing at two in the morning with our music loud and singing proud. I will miss our shopping days with our mom when we drive her crazy or just lose our mom in Wal-Mart. I think the best way to overcome my obstacle is to wish Taylor luck and always be a snapchat away even if it is at the crack of dawn.
Although Helen Keller and I have different obstacles we share some similarities. Helen and I both share not being able to communicate. Helen and Annie worked together as a team, which is what Taylor and I need to do. Helen and I also need to never give up on any of our obstacles that we need to overcome.
Helen Keller overcame her obstacle of not being able to communicate by believing and not giving up. That is what I need to do in order to overcome my obstacle. My sister lives by a quote, “Never limit yourself or set boundaries because you can do anything”. I know that I can overcome my obstacle because Taylor will always be there for me.