What It's Like To Be a Twin | Teen Ink

What It's Like To Be a Twin

By kenziem15 BRONZE, Cloverdale, Ohio
kenziem15 BRONZE, Cloverdale, Ohio

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light."- Albus Dumbledore

What is it like to breathe? When faced with a question such as this, it is not uncommon to entertain a variety of thoughts and feelings- annoyance at the asker for the simplicity of the question, the realization that it is nearly impossible to provide a sufficient answer, and ultimately accepting that the question is unexplainable and therefore profound. I experience the same thoughts and feelings when confronted with a similar question: what is it like to be a twin? How can I possibly respond to that? I have never known anything different; since conception, I have yet to exist alone.
     There are several amazing rewards that accompany having a twin sister, the greatest being the inseparable bond that is shared. We have progressed through every stage of childhood and adolescence simultaneously (going to kindergarten, getting our ears pierced, joining sports teams, entering high school, getting a license, etc.). Because of this, we have developed a deep understanding of one another that, sadly, most people will never have the opportunity to experience. We are as close as two people can be, undoubtedly due to the fact that we spent nine months together in utero and the following seventeen plus years side by side.
     However, one of the most common misconceptions about being a twin is that it is all matching outfits and perks. Nothing could be further from the truth. The fantastic bond and the life experiences mentioned above are not the only things that are shared. Since birth, we have had to share the attention of others, including our parents. We share a birthday, we share friends, we share teammates, we share a class, we share a car. Aside from a few material things, nothing is solely hers or mine. It has always been "ours." As a result of this, we have somewhat of a communal identity. It is almost as though we are merely extensions of one another. The names Madison and Makenzie have become synonymous. In fact, they are often times forgotten completely and replaced with "the twins." People tend to see us as a unit rather than two separate individuals, and that can be very frustrating. It opens a door to the most uncomfortable comparisons and competition imaginable.
     Even the downsides of being a twin have shaped the person I am today, and I would not trade them for the world. In the struggle to avoid competition and comparison, we have found our own niches. Madison is captain of the cheerleading squad and a member of the chorus and school drama productions while I lead the soccer team, run track, and participate in scholastic bowl. Even though we are involved in very different activities, we still manage to support one another. For example, she runs the scoreboard at my soccer games and I am a member of the crew for her plays and musicals. While we have each begun to create individual identities, our oneness continues to influence me. Having shared so many tangible things and so much of myself, it is easy for me to give and to be open with others. Furthermore, I am able to compromise and settle disputes more effectively than the average person. I consider myself empathetic beyond measure, and I can only associate that with being a twin.
     With college quickly approaching, Madison and I will be separating for the first time in our lives. While this new experience is sure to be challenging, I am so excited for what the future has in store. I cannot wait to see how the two of us individualize even more as we become adults; and while certain parts about our relationship as twins will change, the qualities I have developed because of it will never leave me.