A Little Slice of Our World | Teen Ink

A Little Slice of Our World

By Allison White BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Allison White BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

A Little Slice of Our World

Have you ever wondered just what really was going on in the world? I know I have but the news can be very depressing or boring. They only talk of the bad side of things anymore and not a very wide range of topics. I would like to take a second and correct this predicament. Have a taste of a little slice of our world.

To wet your appetite first off, lets get the more boring topics out of the way. This is the year 2015. In politics, people are looking to the future with new presidential candidates rallying already for the 2016 election. All of the ads will soon be bombarding the housewives’ late afternoon soap operas they all watch religiously. However, President Obama is not going out without a bang. He has started trying to circumvent Congress in many of his acts that he wants to put in place. One major issue has been immigration laws. These would affect children and adults that come over illegally. Congress is not going down without a fight, so much of a fight that the group almost could not agree on funding to Homeland Security which had immigration law changes tacked on. Another issue that continues to pop up in the Middle East is, ISIS. If you haven’t been around for the past few months, ISIS is an Islamic extremist group that is terrorizing the Middle East and other surrounding nations. They have beheaded numerous amounts of people in search of information and to take over land. Many countries have started airstrikes and counter attacks against ISIS but none have had much success. Whew! Now that is over, onto some less brain straining topics.

Now for the main and most satisfying course of all, dessert. Everyday something new pops onto the scene. One tech company took things to the next level when they released a line of luxury watches. This famous company was Apple and they came out with the Apple watch. They come in a variety of colors, have many apps, and you can sync them to any of your other Apple licensed products. Some other products include pens that can 3D print or a small projector that can project your phone onto your arm and you can control it from there. Other fads include the ever popular but almost impossible to follow, fitness routines. People are doing anything to get skinny and not worry. There are a few movies that are predicted to be blockbuster hits, such as the next installment in the Divergent series. Wait! If you aren’t a big movie fan, there will be plenty of new music and artists coming back to satisfy your appetite. People such as Adele, Kanye West, Radiohead, and Rhianna are predicted to make a pop out on the music scene.

To conclude my dear readers, the world is a big place. There are many things that go on out there and to fully satisfy one’s appetite you have to listen to the good, bad, and boring. However, not everything has to be boring. There is good and hope in the world. People just aren’t looking for it. It doesn’t always show up in the laughter from a movie, the dancing and fun from music, or even buying the next big thing. It’s in everything combined. It’s the people and what we do from here till the end of time. This proves my point on why we should try to keep informed and know what’s going on out in our big slice of the universe. So even ordinary people like you and I can help make change.