Dragonflies | Teen Ink

Dragonflies

By Summerstar SILVER, Clinton, Utah
Summerstar SILVER, Clinton, Utah

“For he shall give his angels charge over you, to keep you in your ways. And they will bear you up in their hands…” Psalms 91:11-12

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in.

I could smell the freshly cut grass and a hint of a mountain breeze from the east. It was fresh and cold and alive, I opened my eyes again and had to smile at the beauty of the night. Summer had to have been my favorite time of the year; everything was warm and alive; peaceful, beautiful, perfect. I gazed out at the fiery, orange sky; the sunset was the very best time of the day. Everything became quiet and still and the birds would begin their evening songs. I closed my eyes again, trying to absorb the feel of the evening, trying to remember these little moments of heaven.

I opened my eyes to see a burst of color. A bright, iridescent blue dragonfly zipped by, wings humming musically. I watched as it danced in the air above my back lawn and was joined by another. The birds began to say goodnight and the dragonflies zipped back and forth, humming along. They were joined by three more, then they by five and more and more.

That summer night was peaceful and perfect, for one moment I didn’t have a care or worry in the world and everything was at peace.

It’s a night I remember as Dragonflies.

Just a special memory I'd like to share with you all.