If... | Teen Ink

If...

October 27, 2015
By Sophiapellegrini BRONZE, Miami Lakes, Florida
Sophiapellegrini BRONZE, Miami Lakes, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

If I stopped it. If I didn't lie. If I just said the truth. Oh I wouldn't be in as much trouble as I am now. How stupid could I have been telling myself I wouldn't get caught. I eventually knew they would find out. I mean they're my parents of course they were going to suspect something. They are always two steps ahead of you, no matter how sneaky you think you are. If I could just erase what I did. Always with the word “if.” If this… If that... Now I know for every action, there's always going to be a consequence. It all started because I wanted to be cool, everyone does it, so why shouldn't I? Little did I know those exact words would make me regret everything I did. I wasn't thinking about my family or my friends. I was being selfish and dumb. I didn't even know what I was doing. In those moments all I could tell myself was it's going to be fine, i'm not going to get caught. I told everyone there was going to be “open crib” at my place which means my parents aren't going to be at home, another sentence I regret coming out of my mouth. With every sip I took, my emotions started flying like butterflies in your stomach. I wanted more, not less. I wanted to feel what everyone else does when they do it. Listening to people say “chug, chug.” I didn't even know who the people were that were yelling those words, but I didn't care because in those moments I liked all the attention the keg stand was giving me. People serving me drinks, mainly the guys, like if you were at a bar or club ordering drinks. Taking shots, and loudly yelling the song “I want to take shots with somebody, shot, shot, shot, shots.” I remember dancing all around, listening to the different genres of songs. First it's rap then all of a sudden spanish music. Not having a worry in the world, not paying attention to any detail, not pretending to be happy, not having to be someone else in my life. That feeling made me become wild. Like a whole other person, and I didn't just like it, I loved it. It was a crazy night with people being thrown into the pool and throwing bottles in the air and the bottles coming down shattered onto the pavement. But I didn't care. There's always a first time for everything, and that was my first time. It was all gone in a blink of an eye. I woke up with a headache and an aching stomach. That entire night was a blur just like my future would be when my parents would open the door to my house in less than 24 hours. They would see all the clutter of either the mess of bottles, or people's clothes left on the floor. I instantly got up and asked my cleaning lady to hurry up and help me clean. We cleaned for two hours straight picking up broken glass and what not. My parents would be home in about an hour and we still needed to clean outside. We didn't stop not even for one second to take a breather. It was too late. I knew my life would be over as soon as I heard that doorknob turn to the left side. If I woke up earlier. If I didn't throw this party. If my parents flight got delayed. If my cleaning lady would have worked faster. It just didn't work out and the last words that came out of my mouth were “I can explain.”


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this piece is personal experience.