Catfish and the Bottlemen Concert | Teen Ink

Catfish and the Bottlemen Concert

October 27, 2015
By ChristineSuciu BRONZE, Washington, New Jersey
ChristineSuciu BRONZE, Washington, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The venue reeked of alcohol and dope, but that’s what made it more memorable. The vibe of the room was so energetic and full of anticipation as everyone waited for the opening act to come on. The balcony was filled with people of all different ages struggling to catch a glimpse of the dimly lit stage below. Some didn’t even know who the main act was but that didn’t seem to matter. There was a low humming as everyone buzzed around talking, laughing, drinking, as the GA floor started to fill with more and more people.


The opening act, Jamie N Commons, came on with the lead singer dressed in some sort of cape which caused everyone to stop what they were doing and stare. A few cheers rang through the air from the people in the front row; which I felt bad for considering they were being squished for about 4 hours. The set made me feel how I feel on a Monday morning stuck in a 3 hour long math class. I really wasn’t into this guys music at all it kind of just put me and my friends to sleep which sucked. The lead singer a acted really arrogant on stage which I didn’t appreciate since no one knew who he was. When the band was done they cleared up the stage and there was about an hour left until Catfish came on. After the set that Jamie N Commons put on, that time couldn’t come fast enough.


9:30 rolled around the corner and the lights started to dim. I felt my heart pounding in my chest and time seemed to be moving in slow motion as the first chord to Rango hummed through the air. I grabbed my friends shoulder and let out a scream so high pitched I didn’t even know I could make, as Van Mccann walked out on stage. Dressed in all black, besides his brown suede boots, he grabbed the microphone and shouted, “HELLO NEW YORK!” Which transitioned straight into the opening lyrics, Darling I’m done for once. And as soon as I get out of here I plan on coming back for nothing. But then again there’s you, and I couldn’t recall being happier than in my life.


The songs and lyrics were all so amazing and going by way too quick. After sometime they sang my favorite song, Homesick. As if my smile wasn’t big enough before, I’m pretty sure my face did the impossible and got bigger. Van was dancing on stage, and even dropped the microphone a few times which was hilarious, and Bob Hall, the drummer, was going crazy. It felt like pure bliss as the song seemed to end, but then a single spotlight came down on Van as he repeated the chorus, I said I’m only looking out for you, she said it’s obvious that’s a lie, I only ever put out for you, you know it’s obvious that’s a lie, without and other instruments on stage. The second time he repeated the chorus, he let the audience sing it, which started off kind of rough at first because no one was on time, but after some direction from Van we all got it eventually. There’s just something about hearing your favorite song sang by hundreds of people all at once, and knowing that everyone is feeling the same emotions you’re feeling at the same time, that beats out any other kind of joy you think you’ve felt before this.


It was as if time stood still, and no form of drug could replicate what I was feeling that very moment. But they were my drug, they sang the words that people were too scared to admit, and made me feel as if everything was okay for those 11 songs. For that time, it didn’t matter that the people around me didn’t know any of the words. It didn’t matter that I moved to a completely different state with two years left of high school. It didn’t matter that sometimes life sucked. Nothing mattered for that hour and a half, it felt like I was home. I was surrounded by my friends that I hadn’t seen in months, in a venue that was dirty and loud, singing hard to every lyric, and I’ve never felt more alive.


The show ended and it was time for everyone to go home. Slowly people trickled out into the neon lit stairway to get outside the venue, but I stayed behind for a little. Recently everything in my life has changed so quick, but it was nice to know that they haven’t changed. The venue didn’t change, and my love for this band hasn’t changed. I didn’t want the night to end. Their last song Tyrants felt like a dram and I could still hear the lyrics playing in my head. My ears buzzed and my head spun as I took one last look at the now empty stage, and felt a form of nostalgia that’s hard to describe. So many great bands have performed on that stage, and now that Catfish and the Bottlemen are apart of that legacy, I know things won’t be the same again. They’ll blow up in the industry with the release of their wildly anticipated second album, and I couldn’t be happier for them. They’ve worked extremely hard to get to where they are now and if one band deserves to be on top of the world, the number one spot goes to Catfish and the Bottlemen.


The author's comments:

I hope people will listen to their music more.