My Stay at Home Mom | Teen Ink

My Stay at Home Mom

By Xilpho BRONZE, NAPA, California
Xilpho BRONZE, NAPA, California

This essay was written for my Creative Studies class.

“I believe in the power of the stay at home mom.”

All my life, ever since I was a little toddler, my mom has always been there for me. Whether I had a cold or nowadays when I get a flat tire on the way to school. She chose me over her career, and I will always remember that.

When I get home, legs aching and back sweaty from biking, I don’t come home to an empty house and my own thoughts. I don’t keep myself busy until 7 when my mom gets home, or get shushed because she’s on a 4-hour conference call. I come home to a happy voice telling me hello, and wanting me around. Wanting to talk to me, and eat way too many chewy caramels than we probably should.

My mom’s voice matches her personality. Quirky, but serious. Protective, but lenient. She’s everything you want in a mom. She Juggles kids, freelancing, and lymphedema each and every day. Yet even when she’s putting compression wraps on her legs, a process that takes her well over a couple minutes, she still puts up with me. Talking about my day, talking about what fancy drink I tried out that day, talking about the cats we foster, even though she has other things to do. My mom is like an addiction. I just can’t get enough of her.

However, there are days when I don’t want to talk. Days when, I don’t really feel good, and I get space. My mom understands. Ever since she quit her career to stay at home and take care of me, she has been ridiculed. Especially after her divorce with my dad. She’s been called a gold digger, a crazy ex, and a bad person. Part of it is the fact that she doesn’t have one source of income. She has raised me and 3 rugrats off of child support and money she has gotten out of sources that make her happy. Comedy, Freelancing, Selling succulents, and fixing up old pieces of furniture. Not only does this give her the time to actually raise me into a wild child, it keeps her happy. To me, that’s what matters. I only want the best for her.

Not only does a stay at home make sure her kids aren’t eating ramen noodles for three days straight, (Thanks, mom!), she also makes sure her house isn’t a wreck. Whether she tells you to sweep the floors or not. The house doesn’t have to be power cleaned every weekend she would have off. Generally, however, I do these things. Since my mom isn’t able to be as active as she wants, I’ve taken this role. Making dinners, feeding animals, sweeping and cleaning up messes as they appear. It’s not a whole lot of work, and I get rewarded when my little brother looks up at me, mouth full of chicken nuggets and tells me thank you. As well as when our Boxer Dog, Monkey, snorts while she eats her kibble. Honestly, I like where I am in my life right now. Mainly because of my mom. She’s always been there and I doubt she’ll stop being there, right by my side making sarcastic comments. Which why I will always believe;
In the power of the stay at home mom.

This essay is written about my mom, Gina, and my family life in general. Along with how my life is impacted by her being home.