Bitten | Teen Ink

Bitten

By ThatGuy304 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
ThatGuy304 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

The hospital doors busted open and blood curling screams and sobbing came with it.

“He’s bleeding bad.”
“I need anesthetics.”
“Stay with me Sam.”
“Sam, no matter what happens, you will be okay.”
“Where are the anesthetics?”
“I’ve got them. Here”

A few seconds after, I, and the crying and screaming I created, were silenced by the narcotics and anesthetics. They performed surgery in my sleep. That day I was seconds from death, and I still can remember that nightmare and exactly how it began.

I was four years old when it began. It was a cold day in August, and my mom wanted to see one of her friends she hasn’t seen in a long time. I had a bad feeling, but my mom still wanted to take me with her to see her friend because she had younger kids there around my age. She drove my sister and I over there.

Something still wasn’t right, but my mom said I was just being shy. I know she didn’t know that I was having these bad feelings, but I was shrugging them off because I was a little kid. Then I saw the dog, a huge rottweiler, heading straight towards me. I hid behind my mother, simply because it was a usual thing to do, and it walked away.

Later, I was playing with my mother’s friend’s children when the rottweiler came up to me again. That time it bit me. There was no doubt that he did. He had a huge chunk of tan colored, bloody cheek and muscle, that he had torn off of my face, in his mouth. I was screaming in pain, and I was bleeding from my chin to my cheekbone, quite literally. My mom came into the room and put the dog into the other room, then sat next to me, telling her friend to call for an ambulance.

The ambulance finally arrived. I almost passed out by the time they got there because of how much blood I lost. They got a stretcher and put me onto it. The rest of it was a haze. That was until we were at the hospital…
While I was asleep I was having visions of, what seemed to be, the past, what my life was like, how I spent my time, how I behaved. Then I saw some figure, I know what, but I can’t type about it in this essay. Anyways, long-story-short, I woke up in my hospital bed wondering if I was alright.

“Sam? Are you alright?” said one of the nurses.
“I feel okay. Am I going to be okay?” I said.
“ You will be just fine Sam,” said one of the doctors.
“Your mom is in the waiting room,” said another nurse.
“Thank you,” I politely responded.
I went into the waiting room and my mom, nearly in tears, runs up to me and says, “I’m so happy to see you Sam. I thought I was going to lose you.”
We hugged each other and then a police officer came up to me and said “Do you know how this happened.”
I said, “My mom’s friend’s dog bit me.”
“Did your mother or her friend know that it was going to bite you?”
“No they did not and both of them put the dog out back to make sure I did not get hurt again.”

I realized, later, that these people were doing their jobs and if they quit, not a lot of us would be here today.

Wordfreak SILVER, Aurora, Colorado

"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Doc Johnson
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog." -Ivan Moody, FFDP

I like this writing piece. Very descriptive.