What Does High School Mean to Me? | Teen Ink

What Does High School Mean to Me?

By Freedom_Writers BRONZE, Chicago , Illinois
Freedom_Writers BRONZE, Chicago , Illinois

"Now beginnings the rest of your life, so make it count"
"Give everything your best, so no matter the outcome you know you did all that you can do."

It was the last two months of Freshman year, laying in bed after having gotten my report card, eating pizza. My mother was away on a bussines trip, I on the other hand was with my papa. Flipping through the channels on the tv, I looked and I say “the duff.” Towards the end of the movie, I smiled and felt a sense of realization and pride. I had realized two important things. One of which that I would also hold dear to. I has stopped writing for due to school and I couldn't seem to find the words, I couldn't get them out. They were stuck in my heart, choking and killing with every last  breath. But, now I was able to find them, I could write! I was back and no I don’t mean the me, that was at the beginning of the school year. I am talking about the me who, stood up for herself the girl that wasn't afraid to speak her mind or tell others what she thinks. The girl who didn't worry about how others viewed or called her. The girl who was happy just beginning her.  I had realized that I was pretending to be something I wasn't, and I was tired of it. Somehow, I had lost a hold of the real me and, I realized that. 

I had realized that labels didn't matter, who cared whether people thought of me as pretty, ugly, all that matters is what’s on the inside. I wondered when did I start caring what people thinking or viewed as. All that mattered was how I viewed myself. I had came so worried about how people viewed I lost the sense of the real me. I had lost a classmate in death due to health issues she had, I had lost several friends. But, I realized that me losing those friends, were one of the best things that could have happened to me. It taught that some people come in your life to teach you things, their only their for a due season. I noticed that the more I stopped thinking about them, the more I started worrying about me. The more happier I was, and because I was happy, some of them were furious. And, plus I was moving who carries what they thought about me, I probably wouldn't see them every again anyway. As long as I have my God, Friends and Family,and the brothers and sister of my congregation, that’s all that matters.

So what does high school mean to me?

When you google the meaning of High School  you get a definition like this: a school that typically comprises grades 9 through 12, attended after primary school or middle school.

Google doesn't give justice to how important high school is, High school is a place where you will face some of the hardest things, you will make some of the hardest decision. High school was a place where you not only learned the standard requirements that will help you get into your career choice but, you learned some social skills along the way.  It is here that you will meet some of your best friends, some of the most important people who will have the greatest impacted your lives. And, as long as you have your true friends and family, as long as you have someone in your corner, that all that matters. It might seem like the most difficult thing in the world but, know that you have what it takes to make through high school and on to college and then from college to life. If know one tells you this in the 4 years you are in high school, remember that I have told you that through hard work a dedication you can overcome anything, you can make it through, that you can achieve and reach your goals as long as you're willingly to work for them. How successful, you are in high school is up to? So by the end of your freshman year I want you to ask, what does high school mean to you?

I hope this story helps any in coming high school students.