Walk Talk | Teen Ink

Walk Talk

April 29, 2016
By Coronado6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Coronado6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your deeds are your monuments.


Your puppy’s paws are restless. He’s thrashing and tumbling around the house. The wooden floor becomes a slip-and-slide with no water. He’s using socks like dog toys without  squeakers. You can hear crashes echoing through the hallways. Your yippy dog suddenly has the energy of three giggling pooches. It’s probably time for your dog to use his energy in a different way than chewing on the table legs. Grab his leash and suit up for the challenge ahead of you, it will be a hard one… a walk! In this piece, I will cover how to train your dog, the effects on humans and dogs while and after walking and finally, what can and might go wrong when walking so you can prepare for battle!

 

Have you ever grasped the leash for dear life as you are whipped and dragged down the street? Your dog may think it’s all in great fun but fun doesn’t create rope burns! Maybe you should start training your puppy. You’ve probably heard about Cesar  Millan, the famous trainer who treats our puppies like wild wolves. Although he's a professional, I think having your dog walk behind you is a bit extreme. Personally, I lightly tug on the leash for my dog to know to not walk too far ahead. If your dog pulls on the leash, don’t come running, just stand still and grasp it tightly. Your pooch isn’t dumb, once the leash pulls on his neck it will hurt, and he’ll stop. But if he won’t stop and you notice he’s choking himself try investing in a harness. Then when he pulls you won’t hurt him when you pull back. Instead of choking him you safely pull him backwards creating a slight pressure on his chest (as shown in picture.) The most important thing that all types of dog trainers and I will agree is remembering to show your dog you appreciate his good behavior. Training can be a great way to get the best behavior out of your dog.

 

Your heart beats like music in your chest. Your breaths become valued for their incredibility. Your muscles burn as if a spark lit the way. A precious moment you should savor. Although, dog walking isn’t preparation for an olympic race, it has many health benefits. Including, strengthening your heart and decreasing your risk of health problems. “A study by Michigan State University showed that people who walk their dogs are 34% more likely to meet expected levels of exercise” Therefore, dog walking improves health and creates a good way to work your body. Lastly, becoming energized can have positive impacts on your mood by releasing endorphins. Dog walking can be a great source of health and joy in daily life.

 

So now you know why walking’s good for you but it is called dog walking after all so shouldn’t you know how your K9 affected? In 2010 a study was done in shelters by Rebecca Johnson about the changes in dog mood or behavior after a walk. Her team randomly chose half of the test dogs to go on walks everyday for one week while the other poochs sat back in their cages. Seventy five percent of the walked dogs were adopted into forever homes in just a matter of time. Additionally, after walks, my dog seems to be in a good mood as he wants to play and cuddle. But without a walk he glumly lays down in his bed and isn’t the happy, perky, jumpy furball he normally is. Dog walking is great for your pooch so grab that leash!  

 

Wait are you opening the door? Walking is a battle! Have you done all your training? If you said ‘yes’ allow me to set a scene. You’re walking down the street your puppy isn’t pulling or anything you’re about to cross the road when a car zooms by! Or an antisocial dog is suddenly being harassed by your pooch. Knowing to reward your dog for good behavior won’t help now! But knowing what can go wrong and how to look for it and prepare will. Traffic is always hard. To be honest my best advice is to hold onto your pooch look both ways and time it correctly so you and your puppy get to the other side safely. As far as non-social dogs (or owners) always ask the other owner “Is it okay for them to meet?” to avoid conflict. If they say no but your dog’s saying yes give him a few firm pulls on the leash to tell him where you’re going next. Thirdly, remember to stick on one side of the road so there’s room for others to pass you. Now you may open that door!

 

Your pooch’s paws are collapsed on his bed, and he’s sleeping soundly, snoring slightly as his eyes softly flutter shut. Congrats, you won! Your puppy now knows what behavior he should express. You know why you and your dog should walk. Finally, you know how to prepare for the battle ahead by knowing what can go wrong. Enjoy your victory my dear reader.

 

Sources:

"6 Tips for Mastering the Dog Walk." Cesar's Way. N.p., 17 June 2015. Web. 07 Jan. 2016.

Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Dec. 2015.

"Dog 101 | Training & Behavior | Leash-Training Your Dog | Nylabone®." Nylabone. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Jan. 2016.

"The World of Dog Walking: 5 Surprising Facts." The World of Dog Walking: 5 Surprising Facts. N.p., 04 Nov. 2011. Web. 11 Jan. 2016.

 

Glossary

Endorphins are a chemical inside of you that is triggered when you exercise and gives you a joyous feeling