Grateful | Teen Ink

Grateful

May 24, 2016
By Kalebsmith BRONZE, Paso Robles, California
Kalebsmith BRONZE, Paso Robles, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Learn to appreciate what you have before it turns into what you had.” Appreciation is something many people lack, a valuable skill which helps to keep things in perspective.  Throughout my life, I have often find myself too concerned with what I want. Whereas, reflecting upon the blessings I am given is far more important. Many times I have taken things for granted and life threw something unexpected at me.


One memory, I can recollect very well, happened when I was eight. My attempts at falling asleep were abaded by a persistent pain in my stomach. At last, I got up and told my mother about what was troubling me. After we tried multiple home remedies, it was decided that the hospital was our next destination. Upon my arrival to the hospital, my nose was treated to the unforgettable aroma of anesthetics.  Two hours of utter boredom passed, before I was seen by a doctor. His cold, clammy hand pressed gently against my skin, as he tried to pinpoint the source of my pain.


His tests were inconclusive and it was determined that I needed at CAT scan. In order to do so, they needed to give me an I.V. A petite, redheaded nurse entered the room with a tray. The tray held a small but threatening looking needle. She carefully examined my arms in order to find a vein that would suffice. While grasping my mom’s hand, the nurse inserted the needle into my hand. Finally, after a great deal of pain, I was ready for my CAT scan. Or so I thought, it turns out the nurse popped one of my veins, and I needed another I.V. After hearing this, I became very anxious and sad. Moments later, another nurse entered with a similar tray. Watching as he prepared the injection, my heart began to pound faster. Before I knew it, he was finished.


“By the way your scan turned out, it seems you have appendicitis,” said the doctor, “which means we need to remove your appendix.” When I heard this I desperately wanted to be lying in my bed, indulged in a deep slumber; rather than stuck here, waiting to have an organ removed. My mom’s encouraging words helped ease my fear of surgery. I remember laying on the operating table, waiting for the anesthesia to whisk me away into unconsciousness.


My eyes opened after the operation. A huge feeling of relief cascaded over me when I was cleared to leave. Never before have I cherished the thought of going home more than I did then. Years later, I still think of that experience when I find myself complaining. I remember how overjoyed I was just to be home. That sense of happiness and bliss over something considered normal, is what it means to be truly grateful.


The author's comments:

This was a very memorable even for me, and I will carry the mindset of appreciation for the rest of my life.