My New Beginning | Teen Ink

My New Beginning

By xocamilla BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
xocamilla BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois

I moved to a completely new place at the beginning of first grade. I wasn’t too easy for me to adjust and get started at this whole new school with all these new people, but a week into school I was able to make my first best friend. My first day, the teacher had asked if anyone wanted to show me around, take me to classes, and get comfortable with my new environment. Instantly, I saw a hand in the front of the class pop up and she turned around to look at me. She looked pretty excited, with a big smile on her face. “Hi!”, she said as she came up to me. “I’m Emma! What’s your name?!” A little intimidated, I looked back up at her and replied in a quiet voice, “I’m Camilla.” Before I could even think of what to say next, this girl I had just met started talking more than I’ve ever heard anyone talk. I could barely make out the words as she told me something about how great class was and how excited she was for recess. As she motioned for me to get up, she started asking some questions about myself. “So where are you from? What are you doing at a new school? You speak polish?! Wow, that’s so cool!” As I told her about my life story and what brought me to my new elementary school, she seemed fascinated. Before I knew it, it was time to go outside for recess and I was being introduced to all her friends. “Camilla! Meet Kelsey! And Rachel! And Julia! And Sarah!”. “Hi!” “Hey there!” “Hey, nice to meet you!” was what my 30 minutes of break time at the playground consisted of, and by the end of it, you could say I was a little exhausted. I was a shy person, and all the new people and new surroundings were getting a little too much for me.