Why I Want AP Classes | Teen Ink

Why I Want AP Classes

By ChristineOnwenu GOLD, Detroit, Michigan
ChristineOnwenu GOLD, Detroit, Michigan

When I signed up for AP Biology and AP Psychology my junior year, I was so ecstatic. Biology and Psychology are my two favorite subjects when it comes to science. For the career path that I want, it is super critical for me to take Biology, or Psychology, or both. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted AP Biology or AP Psychology, so I chose to attend both classes; not only will it stand out in my application for college, but it would be a tremendous boost to my GPA taking more than one AP class.

Biology is my number one favorite subject because the more I learn, the more I start to appreciate everything around me; the more I learn, and the more I inquire and realize just how little I know. The amazing complexity of life is very humbling, and it’s satisfying to say I can explain just a little part of it. People may not like the subject; I think we all have that curiosity for it. People still love animal shows, medical shows, and CSI—it’s all (partially, at least) biology. I think the separation of sciences is just a way for human beings to get their head around what happens in the world (Math is slightly different, but since it is extremely useful in science, I would say they can be merged as well)—in other words, there it “biology” or “chemistry” or “physics” because we want to be able to study them separately in school, because presumably that is a better framework for learning. When it comes to “liking” biology, these boundaries evaporate, at least for me. To me, science as a whole is about answering questions about things that matter to us.

Biology is important; not only is it significant, but biology is more important now than it’s ever been before. In the 19th century, we were just learning about how some biology works. We barely knew about cells. We only knew the rudiments of how chemistry worked in living things. Genetics was in its infancy. Theories to explain evolution were just being developed. In the 20th century, things took off. You could call that the century of biology because so much was done, except the 21st century will be even greater. The AP Biology course will be beneficial for me because it enables me to develop advanced inquiry and reasoning skills, such as designing a plan for collecting data, analyzing data, applying mathematical routines, and connecting in and across domains. The outcome will be status for the investigation of cutting edge subjects in ensuing tertiary level school courses—an objective of each AP course. This AP Biology course is proportionate to a two-semester school basic science course and has been supported eagerly by advance education authorities. A practice is an approach to organize information and aptitudes keeping in mind the end goal to fulfill an objective or errand. The science rehearses empower you to set up lines of confirmation and use them to create and refine testable clarifications and forecasts of common marvels. Since substance, inquiry, and thinking are similarly imperative in AP Biology, every learning target joins content with inquiry and thinking abilities portrayed in the science hones. The science rehearses catch essential parts of the work that researchers take part in, at the level of ability expected of me, an AP Biology understudy.

Psychology is my second favorite subject of all time, and I like it because it answers the “Why?” question. It helps in figuring out why people do what they do, and why they are what they are.I like brain research since it answers the why question. It helps in making sense of why individuals do what they do and why we are the manner by which we are. I ken brain science since it shows us how individuals get how they are. Brain science in light of the fact that there is so much that is still there to be found; it is a generally youthful science, so there is still a plethora of data still unfamiliar. This expands the chance I can make a fundamental revelation amid my lifetime. It endeavors to clarify the bigger; more mind boggling issues of our general public, in light of the fact that lone by comprehension them would we be able to start to address them. Nonetheless, I do think numerous individuals take it as a science; when everything it can truly do is propose hypotheses and models for us to work with.
Further, the investigation of the psyche will probably never "end" so such area learning will dependably hold esteem. For all intents and purposes, concentrating on brain research just requires the capacity to peruse, compose and do essential factual investigation so it's agreeable to anybody. As of late, with open courseware picking up steam, the hindrances to taking in the undergrad brain research group to somebody in the created world have brought down to: Do you mind enough?

Finally, psychology is a spot where inadequately characterized - additionally fun and vital - inquiries are considered important. The motivation behind the AP course in Psychology is to present the deliberate and investigative investigation of the conduct and mental procedures of people and different creatures. Included is a thought of the mental certainties, standards, and marvels connected with each of the major subfields inside brain research. Understudies additionally find out about the morals and techniques therapists use in their science and practice.A starting school course in brain research is for the most part one semester long, with some variety among universities. An AP course in brain science need not take after particular school educational programs. Or maybe, the point is to give a learning background comparable to that acquired in most school basic brain science courses. But, unfortunately for me, the class has been permanently omitted and I will not have the luxury of taking 3 AP classes, so in substitute for AP Psychology I’m taking AP English.

I read all types of books no matter what content because I believe that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and I am interested in all types of genres. As you can blatantly see, I am obviously a nerd and I LOVE to read. What I love about reading is that you can escape into a world of imagination; other times it's like you're carrying a portable cinema that you can you can take with you anywhere.  I love reading books . . . and magazines . . . and newspapers . . . and stories on the Internet. Actually, I like reading everything I can — whether it's the stuff on a cereal box while I'm having breakfast or the brochures as I'm waiting at the dentist's office. Reading helps me develop my vocabulary, so even if my trusty dictionary isn't nearby, I can still guess the definition of unfamiliar words.

Reading broadens your knowledge by opening up the whole world to you. While you're reading, you can be visiting another country or a different time period, or traveling through space. You can find out how people solve problems or think up new ideas. You can learn all about other kids, or historic people and important events. You can even figure out how to build things or do something better. Whatever topic you can think of, there's a book or an article waiting to be read. The whole world is an adventure to discover!

Even after a long day of reading difficult stuff for work or for school, lots of people will pick up a book to read for fun and relaxation. Whether it's a thrilling mystery, a funny series of adventures, or a romance novel, books can provide a brief escape from everyday living.I also like to read out loud to myself (or anyone who will listen!) — Especially poetry or pieces that I think are especially well written. When I read aloud, the meaning of the words intensify; even the sound of the words can make a difference in how they make me feel.

Writing is one of my many passions, and as you can see, I write a lot. Writing is a gift that just comes naturally to me. I would love to say that I can write about almost anything, but I can't. It depends on the subject. For instance, say you give me an essay prompt about Antarctica and you give me 2 and a half hours until the end of class to write it, chances are I am going to have to research it first and brainstorm the components for my writing piece. Writing from the top of my head is a challenge for me because I don't read on a daily basis, unless it's summer vacation. There are thousands of thoughts running through my mind so it's an obstacle for me to write about something that I have no knowledge of and looking at it with fresh eyes.

I like the feeling of having somewhere to go without moving anything but my fingers. I like the feeling I get when my character says something I didn't think up. That's when you know your character is alive, and has its own personality! Or when you make a species, it's like you just gave birth and you're proud of your child!!I like organizing my world and life into stories. For example, I will notice a connection between something that happened to me when I was a kid, something that happened a few years ago, and something that happened yesterday. I will then imagine a character where these three events form the key events in the story of his life and the three events that most shaped the person he is. And suddenly a plot begins to appear, and for a little bit there, life's purpose seems to be clear, at least for this imaginary character. But since that character is just really a subset of my real chaotic life, it makes me feel like my purpose could also be as clear as the characters, if only I could find the connection between ALL the events in my life. So that's one of the things I love about writing.
I like to see the impossible happen in my mind and to be able to show it to someone else. I have enjoyed many of other writer's books. A dream can spark a thought that can turn into an idea the forms a story that draws me in until the reason I even write is to find out myself what's going to happen? I enjoy writing just to write. I write because when I hear a song and have an emotion from it I really want to write about the way it makes me feel. Whenever I am writing I am listening or at least thinking about a song. I think that my emotions are the most fun to write about. I tried writing poetry once and it turned out kind of good, but I still would rather write stories. Mainly short stories anyway. If anyone needs a good idea for the start of a story ask me, I will be happy to give you some ideas.

There is a lot of competition for me, because I am competing with adolescents my age to get into the most prestigious colleges/universities. Some of them are even smarter than me, and more involved in their community. But I am at a disadvantage because there are students in California that obtain a vast majority of the wealth in their family; they can afford private tutors that had perfect scores on their SAT/ACT, but I have to use Khan Academy and theOfficial SAT® Study Guide.  And I don’t have the convenience to execute any services because I have a lot studying to do; there aren’t much people in need in the aviation suburban area that currently recent. Most of the places that I could go to are pretty far and transportation doesn’t come cheap. This year, I plan to get A’s in my AP classes and pass the exam with at least a 4, to show colleges what I can do, despite the mental acuity difference that I have between other students that are above my level.