Rejections | Teen Ink

Rejections

By Veerangana DIAMOND, New Delhi, Other
Veerangana DIAMOND, New Delhi, Other

"Grind the grind before the grind grinds you"

When I buy a book from an author, I am not only buying a collection of words and pages enveloped within the embrace of a red and blue cover. Instead, I am buying sleepless nights of perspiration. I am buying tears, frustration and twinkling moments of ecstasy.

The letter flutters in my hand.

It isn't the first time Í've been rejected.

I pull myself together and swallow the lump in my throat. After all, everyone gets rejections. Yet, somehow, every rejection letter in my post box adds onto my frustration. It makes the roaring fire within me burn brighter. My determination increases. My sweat and blood trickles out. I'm ready to give what it takes. Yet, at times I feel that it won't ever stop demanding.

It is a difficult task to take every character by the hand, and lead him to different worlds. It is difficult to force on clothes of your choice on your created character. It is difficult to make the character say what you want him to say. Rejections should be taken as the character's tantrums and refusals to do what you say. Rejections should be taken as the character's suggestions to transport him to the moon, instead of the underworld.

Rejections aren't refusals. Instead, they're stepping stones which help us accept what we write. Rejections light the embers of acceptance within us.

Rejections help me to befriend my words. Rejections help me to get to know my character better.

"Every aspiring author will go through this stumbling phase. This is how I dealt with mine"