The Rising Cost of Sports and Its Effects on Lower Income Children | Teen Ink

The Rising Cost of Sports and Its Effects on Lower Income Children

By katieroditis BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
katieroditis BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California

Sports can be a vital part of growing up. Whether it be baseball, soccer, basketball or any other sport, almost every kid at some point in their life has been apart of some athletic organization. Athletics have the ability to impact people's lives greatly in many different ways. Unfortunately, though, some children are not fortunate enough to afford all of the costs that come along with sports. Although some people don’t believe that the rising costs of sports is detrimental to the participation of young athletes, it is vital because the pricey costs of equipment and participation are excluding lower income children from being able to participate in sports and benefit from all of the positive effects.

Athletics have numerous physical benefits that can help kids live a longer, healthier life. Children who participate in sports are “at a lower risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes”[i] Athletics help boost kids’ confidence and self-esteem. But the advantages of playing sports goes way beyond just the health benefits. Being involved in youth sports “provides a sense of belonging and being apart of a team” while also making kids “less likely to commit crimes” because athletics prevent “unsupervised free time and boredom”[ii] Youth sports provide kids with something to do and be involved in. Because of this they are less likely to turn to drinking or drugs because they are doing something with their time.

Throughout the years, the price of sports has risen due to the pricey equipment and participation costs. Because of this “poor children around the country are getting priced out of sports leagues”[iii] I have been lucky enough that my parents could afford every pair of cleats, shin guards, or soccer ball i’ve ever needed but not all kids are so lucky. With every sport comes several pieces of equipment that are vital to the game and simply keeping the kids safe. For example, take football. In order to be eligible to play in a football game you need to have the proper equipment just to stay safe. Some of the equipment needed are things like a helmet, neck collar, mouth guard, body pads, shoulder pads, and gloves. Even if you get the bare minimum/cheapest equipment you’re still looking at least 150$ in equipment, not even including participation costs or uniforms.

Although no one can stop the prices of equipment and participation from rising, there is a solution that can help aid lower income families and make it easier for them so they can play. All big sports organizations (AYSO, Little League baseball, etc.) should have a system where at the end of each season, players can donate used equipment such as cleats and uniforms. This would especially be beneficial to the younger age groups. This is because these kids are growing, so most likely next season their parents will need to buy them a new pair of cleats. And although these cleats are still in good shape, parents usually get rid of them because they no longer fit their children. Most of the time these cleats end up being thrown in the trash and they are gone to waste, when they can be given to younger kids who can put them to good use.

Sports should be a place that brings children together no matter their income or background. Lower income children should have the same opportunity as children that come from higher income families. Money should never be a factor.

[i] “15 Health Benefits of Sports | Insports Centers.” Insports Trumbull, CT - Adult & Youth Leagues - Soccer, Basketball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, 21 Dec. 2016, insportscenters.com/15-health-benefits-of-sports/.

[ii] “The Positive Effects of Sports as You Age.” The Active Times, 9 May 2016, www.theactivetimes.com/fitness/n/positive-effects-sports-you-age. 

[iii] Parker, Paulette. “In Youth Sports, Low-Income Kids Are Often Left out of the Game.” State of Opportunity, stateofopportunity.michiganradio.org/post/youth-sports-low-income-kids-are-often-left-out-game. 

This article describles how lower income children are being left out of sports due to the rising cost of sports.