Have faith in people | Teen Ink

Have faith in people

October 18, 2019
By 302yabz BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
302yabz BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A couple years ago I played baseball for piedmont. I had a lot of friends on my team and we were pretty good. As we moved up through the games we began to win a good majority. By the end of the season we had went 18 and 2. Are team got entered into a tournament called sports at the beach. 


We lost the first day it was 10 to 9 this was a two elimination tournament so we knew there was only one chance left and we had to succeed. The second day we had two games i hit a homerun and i also pitched a no hitter this is when no batters get on base for the whole game. We won the game it was 3 to 0 my friend jack who was the catcher hit a double and my friend tagen hit a homerun scoring two more runs. The next game we also won it was 8 to 6 our first baseman hit a 3 run walk off home run leading us to winning this tournament. 


There was one kid on the team who was not very good. He was always picked on for not having things as nice as everyone else. I felt bad for him and asked if he wanted to borrow some of my stuff. I lent him a mako torq all the kids on the team were in shock 

This is a very nice bat. We started practicing together soon enough we both started excelling and we began to hangout on the weekends.


Over the time me and tommy became very good friends the kids on our team started to leave him alone and some even became his friend after knowing I was friends with him. Our season was almost over we had one last game to play it was at camby park in wilmington. We were playing one of st.elizabeth's team I was supposed to pitch this game but I hurt my foot and I ended up getting put in a boot the only thing I could do was bat. I told the coach to let tommy have a chance that we had been practicing and he would be surprised in Tommy's improvement. The coach said I guess everyone deserves a chance then he called Tommy over and said im going to need you tonight do you think you can pitch for me? 


Tommy did not hesitate he responded yes sir as fast as lightning. Tommy was sitting on the bench with me before the game started and I noticed he was shaking. I asked him what was wrong and he said “im very nervous i have never pitched in a game before”. I told him you got it all that matters is you're trying your best. The game started and 

Tommy started to pitch he struck out every batter. By the bottom of the 9th inning tommy had thrown a no hitter and was 3 for 3 with two doubles and a single. Everyone was in shock the kid they treated badly for so long had proved them all wrong and won us the championship, on the last pitch we all ran to the outfield jumping in excitement .