Fall Volleyball Fanatic | Teen Ink

Fall Volleyball Fanatic

By Benneta1610 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Benneta1610 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Mens volleyball is only provided in 36 states across the country and in most of those states very few schools actually have volleyball programs. I am lucky enough to live in one of those states that gives me the opportunity to play whether it's high school ball or club ball. 

Although several states have high school volleyball, Wisconsin is one of the only states that provides volleyball in the fall. I am so grateful that Wisconsin does this because I can look forward to going into the new school year due to the thrilling volleyball season. It especially helped me freshman year because going into school I had already made friends from the summer practices we had before school started. This made walking into school the first day way less scary. 

Another reason I am able to appreciate the fact that Wisconsin offers this sport is because of a friend who was a big volleyball player who had to move to a different state. Where he lives now doesn’t even offer high school volleyball which would be devastating to not be able to represent whatever highschool and play against other friends from different schools. All he can play is club volleyball in which he has to drive five hours just to practice a few times on the weekends. Looking at a situation like my friend has to go through just to play a sport he's played his entire life really puts how awesome Wisconsin is into perspective.

Moving onto club volleyball, Wisconsin is so incredible because it provides some of the most elite clubs in the nation for every single age group and there are clubs everywhere so even people up in Appleton can play club without having to drive too far for practice. I personally decided to play for Milwaukee Sting this year. They have incredible facilities which include olympic level courts for all the players and a great workout area that is free to use by any player at any time. Not many states have facilities like this which allow players to have the most elite practice facilities which make it so much more enjoyable to play.

Another thing that makes Wisconsin club volleyball so unique and enjoyable is that even at the collegiate level there are some incredible teams. For example, UW-Oshkosh has one of the best division three club teams in the nation and they won nationals in 2016. Another great club team is UW-Eau Claire and they won division three nationals this past year. On top of those incredible schools UW-Madison is a top three club team in college. I personally would like to play at Lacrosse or Madison because their teams will be very good the next few years and after being a first team all-state outside it is incredible that I can play at a college where club is even a step up from highschool ball.

To Conclude there are many reasons why Wisconsin is the hub for all things volleyball. Whether it comes to the fall volleyball season, clubs that are close and very competitive, or the amazing college club teams. I am so grateful that Wisconsin gives me the opportunity to play this incredible sport year round.