World cup 2022 | Teen Ink

World cup 2022

Today is the day. The day that determines if Argentina wins the biggest sporting event in the world. Argentina plays France in the world cup final, and it’s going to be a difficult game. I wake up at 8:55 on Sunday, and think to myself, “Argentina have to win, they have to”. It is the last world cup for Lionel Messi, the greatest soccer player of all time, and he has never won a world cup. I turn on the tv and right away hear the whistle blow to start the game. The game starts out pretty calm, with Argentina owning the most possession (thankfully). No one scores for a while, until a French defender fouls an Argentinian in their own box, winning Argentina a penalty. They prepare the ball on the penalty spot, and it's none other than Messi himself that steps up to take the shot. He runs up to the ball, brings his foot back, shoots, and obviously, scores. Me and my family cheer, even my sister, who doesn’t know anything about soccer. The game continues and eventually Argentina scores again, making it 2-0, and that's how the first half ends. During the whole break, I’m thinking to myself “They have totally won by now”. The second half starts and I am so confident in the Argentina team. My confidence keeps growing and growing as the game goes on, still 2-0. Time passes until the 80th minute when something very scary happens. France gets a penalty, and their best player Mbappe is taking it. He lines up the ball and just like Messi, scores. It's now a 1 goal difference between the two teams, which I am not a fan of. They kick the ball off again and almost immediately France gets the ball. Mbappe makes a run, gets the ball, and scores a beautiful volley to tie the game up 2-2. My stomach drops, and I sit down on the couch, defeated. I actually thought Argentina could do it, but it’s not looking good. Normal time ended, so the game went into overtime. Overtime is two halves each 15 minutes long. In the first half, nothing eventful happened, but I was terrified of a France goal. In the second half, Messi takes an amazing shot, past the goalie, but there is a defender in the goal waiting, and they clear it. I sigh in disappointment, however, I see the ref pointing to the kickoff spot, signaling a goal. They replay the shot and as it turns out, the defender was far inside the goal, so the ball crossed the line entirely, which is a goal. I yell and cheer because I know, that has to be the winning goal because there are only 12 minutes left. I was wrong. In the 118th minute, 2 minutes away from Argentina winning, France is awarded another penalty, and yet again, Mbappe scores. It's going to penalties, the most stress-inducing thing to ever happen in soccer, is happening in a world cup final. France is up first, which means Mbappe takes the first penalty. He does what he's already done three times today, and finds the back of the net. Messi is up next, and he as well puts the ball away. The next French penalty taker stands up, and I’m cheering “Miss, Miss, Miss”. He steps back and takes the shot, and the keeper dives beautifully and knocks the ball away. Argentina makes their next penalty, and now they are up 2-1. France misses again, and Argentina makes it. The score is now 3-1, which means if France misses their next one, they lose, however, they do indeed make it. Gonzalo Montiel, an Argentinean defender, steps up to hopefully take the last penalty. If he scores, it's over and Argentina wins the 2022 world cup, and Messi goes down as the greatest player to ever win, but if he misses, France could potentially win the world cup two times in a row. He runs forward and kicks it right into the back right side of the goal. “THEY DID IT!!” my dad says next to me. “THEY ACTUALLY DID IT”.

I am writing a review of the 2022 final game of the world cup, Argentina vs. France to show other people the amazing sport that is soccer and how engaging every game is.