Bad Coaches | Teen Ink

Bad Coaches

By austin24 BRONZE, St.louis, Missouri
austin24 BRONZE, St.louis, Missouri

There is a coach I've played for that has had a negative impact that ended up having a positive impact. It was my freshman year, only my second year of playing tackle football. My 8th grade year I played wide receiver so I assumed that would be my position throughout high school.

July before my freshman year we had summer workouts and I got to meet all my new coaches and teammates.  I liked all of the coaches so far but now it was time to meet individual coaches for position groups. The wide receiver coach felt like he didn't know what he was doing. He would make us do drills that didn't help at all. Also he would get his own terminology wrong for his own playbook. This coach made me not want to play football anymore. He made the playbook difficult to learn and picked favorites. It got around to the start of the season and they told us the wide receiver coach would be running the freshman  team. I didn't know if I wanted to play this year, sit out or try to change to a whole new position I've never played. The only thing I could play besides receiver is wing back. I decided to play wide receiver,

Week 1 came by and I didnt play that much and we lost the game. Week 2 I got to start the game but we lost that one too. Coming into week 3 at practice we weren't trying to fix the mistakes we made in the game we were just going over the next week game plan you can tell we were not getting any better week 3 started and I had a season ending injury. The freshman team ended the year 2-7. I wasn't going to play my sophomore year just because of this coach even contemplated transferring but I heard in the new offense we ran we got rid of the wing backs and added slot receivers. I came back my sophomore year and played slot receiver. Now I have played my whole highschool career as a slot receiver and I'm so glad I changed my position.

In the end he was the reason I changed my position and started my high school career off negatively but it was positive because in the new position I was so much better than i've ever been.

This was the first years of me playing the sport