I.C.E. | Teen Ink

I.C.E.

By joedirt1999 BRONZE, Hemet, California
joedirt1999 BRONZE, Hemet, California

-When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful.

The smell of disinfectants being sprayed on fruit-roll ups of mats. The glaring heat of the heaters on your face when you look up. The exhausted look on hungry kids faces who can’t eat because they have to make weight the next day. But this is what wrestlers look forward to everyday for the next four months. Wrestlers wrapped in bundles of clothing just to sweat out any water weight. Wrestler stuck in a sauna-like gym, a gym with a basketball court just in case coach is in the mood for some sprints.   

If coach isn't then practice should be a semi-easy day, but that is never possible. Practice is always difficult. Practice starts with a 15-20 minute warm up with stretches that help relieve pressure of the already sore muscles from the last day of practice. Then comes the exhausting part of practice:the drilling. We huddle up in a tight circle around the coaches and they tell us our drill that we must do with I.C.E. I.C.E stands for intensity, concentration and enthusiasm. We must always have intensity in our drills. Always be concentrated on our drill; never to be distracted. And to always have a happy outlook, to never look like we are tired. If we look like we are tired, then we have already lost. We must always practice with I.C.E. if we don’t then it is conditioning the rest of practice. Nobody wants to condition the rest of practice.       

The fun part of practice is going live for the last 20 minutes of practice. Taking what we learned from all of the week and applying them in real scenarios. The sweat dripping down from your already soaked clothes as you take as many shots as you can. Trying to perfect every little imperfections for when you go into the tournament tomorrow hoping you have the best technique.

After the time has finished, we huddle up and listen to our coaches. Heavily breathing. Panting. The coaches tell us about tomorrow and we bring it up to get one final chant until the next day. We yell with all our might. We roll back up the fruit-roll ups and turn off the heaters. We put on our regular shoes and get ready to compete in our tournament tomorrow.

Wrestling is more than just a sports; it is a lifestyle