Basketball | Teen Ink

Basketball

By essay1234 BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
essay1234 BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia

Since the age of six, the game of basketball has been apart of my life. It has always been something I do to push myself with goals, training, and accomplishments. For example, freshman year I rarely got any court time on Varsity. Now, sophomore year, after a whole summer and fall league of working, I’ve moved into the starting lineup. Also, it’s just something I can do to just blow off steam and just relax. For the most part, all of the work and training I do, is just at the High School gym. Occasionally, I will go to the park in our neighborhood.

As soon as I step into the gym, a basketball is in my hands, taking shots and dribbling. Whether it’s working on my actual game or trying to mimic the moves done by players in the NBA. It can just be shooting free throws or perfecting a move that Steph Curry or Chris Paul does. Nothing is more satisfying to me than being able to do moves that professional athletes can do.

As soon as I finish my daily practice, it’s typical that one of my brothers will have practice. I stay and help the younger kids with drills and improve their game. I’m usually on the court with them, helping them learn new drills and plays.

My first Varsity start, came a week before, in a scrimmage against Roswell. Once I heard them call my name in the starting lineup, I realized, “this is what I worked for.” As the game went on we were losing. Half time came and we were in the room. Then coach came in and proceeded to talk about the game. He told us what we needed to know. We needed to be more aggressive, set better screens, play better defense, attack on offense, and value our possessions of the ball. As the second half began, we came out on fire. We were playing like a unit. The team as a whole took what coach said and put it to use on the court. We ended up winning by eight, 58-50. I ended the game with four points and six rebounds. From that game, our season began..

All of my hours of drills, shooting, and weights have come from influential people in my life. First, my dad, due to the fact we will always just shoot and do weights when we have time. Second, Coach Collins, he has helped me a great deal with weights and drills. Lastly, Coach Shef, he has helped me in everyway possible in basketball. All of these, people have sacrificed their time and knowledge to help me improve my game.

This article should let people know how important sports are how they impact the of student-athletes.