The Game | Teen Ink

The Game

“Don’t ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country” Like what JFK was asking in this quote he was asking what can you do in a crisis to help your country, I am asking, what can you do in a crisis? I believe how you act in crisis shows who you are.

“No time to be scared” It was a huge day, I told myself “don’t worry, be calm”. I stepped on to the field with my teammates and my heart racing like I was in the Daytona five-hundred. Everyone yelling and going crazy with no seats left at the field. I was so nervous but I told myself “no” calm down and do what you can. Boom! The game was on 0-0 and with just minutes remaining I get the ball and blast it in the box and my teammate Cameron Miller head the ball and the next thing I know the ball was in the net. We won the biggest game 1-0. My team knew they could count in me in a crisis to pull through.

But crisis never end! After having asthma as a little kid it never really goes away. I have been able to face my asthma attacks with an inhaler. But I had an attack and no inhaler to help. I was at my house watching TV in my room. Then all of a sudden my heart started to hurt. What the heck is going on? I thought I was going to die. I told myself to calm down and that everything was ok. I was healthy in a matter of minutes. I faced a crisis I didn’t think I could and came out fine.

What would you do when faced with a crisis? Boom! Pow! I heard this kid yelling; I looked over and said “what should I do”? When running over there what are you doing was going through my head. I was over there in a second and with no second thought in my head of jumping in and helping this defenseless kid. I pulled them off of him and in my head I was saying good job Kyle way to go. I helped a kid who needed help and was proud of my decision to help. I learned not to be scared of a decision, but to ask yourself in a crisis “what would who want someone to do”?

Mind is stronger then body! Should I help or should I not? I am happy I helped that kid. Even though I wasn’t a hero, I certainly was no coward.