Emmitt Smith's Peak | Teen Ink

Emmitt Smith's Peak

By BrandonPlaster BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
BrandonPlaster BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

Emmitt Smith is an All Pro American Football Legend who contributes his success to God.  He was born May 16, 1969 in Pensacola, Florida. As a child Smith exceeded in every sport he played.  He won awards in track but had a special talent for football. Right after graduating high school the Florida State Gators recruited him. Through college his coaches noted how he was very diligent in his work and felt he was destined to do great things in college, possibly one day having a shot in the NFL.  Because of his high reputation among college coaches had numerous NFL scout watching him during the Combine, a football skills competition.  He left college his junior year to fulfill his dream to play in the National Football League.

Smith was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the first round of the draft because of his amazing talents.  Smith was named first team all pro in 1992-1995 including becoming the 1993 NFL MVP. 1997 was the year of many injuries and troubles for the Cowboys, including Smith. He related the many difficulties going on in his life on and off the field.  He soon became overwhelmed with concerns and stress in his life, he knew then he couldn’t handle these problems on his own. During this time he turned to the Lord and a Bible verse his Grandmother always told him.  Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean on your understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”  This verse helped Smith focus and get his life, career, and priorities back on track.  He became the NFL all-time leading rusher in 2002, passing the current Walter Payton record. Smith’s career totals were 18,355 rushing yards, 175 touchdowns, and 515 receptions. 

His best year he averaged 5.3 yards-per-carry and had fourteen touchdowns. As a runner, Smith took a big part in most games being able to quickly tear up the turf and pass the other athletes. Though quick, he did not have the most eye-catching appeal. One of his greatest talents was being able to squeeze in yard during plays giving his team overall great yardage in plays that were seemingly over. Smith didn't look especially fast, powerful, or blindingly intimidating, yet he was unstoppable no matter what the defense threw at him.  Smith was noted for being a very durable running back, with excellent vision and tremendous leg strength.  He had the ability to push past large players in his way just to gain one more yard, blocked some of the best defensive players in the league, and was excellent in pass protection.

Smith was the first player in NFL history to post eleven 1,000 rushing yard seasons.  He’s the NFL leader with 4,099 rushing attempts,  holding the record for most games with a touchdown and most games with a rushing touchdown, set in 1995.  Smith was traded to the Arizona Cardinals in 2002, and not long after his transfer his stats decreased. Days before Super Bowl XXXIX Emmitt announced his retirement in an emotional speech in February 2004.  

Throughout his life Emmitt Smith has obtained many accomplishments. Throughout his career he led the NFL three times in rushing yards, also helping his team win Super Bowl  XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX. Along with his numerous impressive football stats, he has participated and won on the TV show Dancing with the Stars in 2006, and is involved in a competetive bowling leauge. He has a wife, three children, and owns a real estate, construction, and a technology company. Emmitt has been a Christian since he was a child but has always replaced the priority of religion with sports. This he realized in the middle of his football career and has since encouraged others to believe in God’s word.  Emmitt to this day continues to be open about his faith and be a proud fan of the Dallas Cowboys, proving to me that he is the greatest player to ever wear a blue and white jersey and to play in the NFL.