Miami Summer Vacation | Teen Ink

Miami Summer Vacation

By kaybelle16 BRONZE, Astoria, New York
kaybelle16 BRONZE, Astoria, New York

In 2013, I visited Miami, Florida with my parents for my summer vacation. I was looking for a getaway, an entertaining and soothing way to spend summer. The salty, floating breeze of Miami’s weather was a mix of excitement and relaxation. I looked into the clear cerulean sky. I saw a bit of perfection all around. There are countless things that Miami and South Beach have to offer.

Even though there was a mistake with the hotel reservations, my parents and I got an awesome view of the oceanfront of South Beach. The view was literally breathtaking for me since this was my first time seeing a view from the Shore Club Hotel. You can see everything going on when you step on the small balcony from the hotel and just observe. When I first saw the oceanfront view from the hotel, it was picture perfect because you can see the clear cerulean beach and other the tall hotels. I saw the college students having good times with their friends at the pool party with the DJ music in the background. There were people of every age having fun. The hotel employees were really nice and very helpful to the travelers. Whenever we went outside or came inside from the hotel the employees even open the door from us. It feels like we were the royal family whenever they opened the door for us. The DJ music in the background was so loud that it makes me feel happy, alive and upbeat.

Even though I’m still young for atmosphere in Miami, I could explore the culture, diversity and appreciate South Beach’s beauty. The architecture in Miami is more beautiful than in different cities because it is artistically unique. Art Deco is very decorative and artistic style that has geometric shapes. It is unique to Miami. When I first noticed the Art Deco design, I was totally amazed with the architecture and the surroundings; words can’t describe how it felt. When I’m amazed with anything, I feel like I have to learn or search something about the topic. The people around there are very diverse – Hispanics, European Americans, Africans, gay, straight, old, young and so many more. You can explore this diversity the minute when you walk outside. The most popular areas in South Beach were Ocean Drive. The street contains a lot shopping outlets, small restaurants that serve from anything café to seafood. Ocean Drive is also famous for the expensive sports cars. Whenever you are eating in the restaurant in Ocean Drive, you can spot a lot of expensive sports cars that driven in the street. The sports cars were famous for the Ocean Drive. You can also see landmarks such as Versace’s former home.

The nightlife in South Beach has a lot of different vivid lights. One night, my parents and I went to Mangoes Tropical Café. When I entered the restaurant, the vibe and atmosphere were very exciting. You just want to dance with the staff to the music that they are playing. The music in the background was mostly Merengue and Salsa, and although I cannot dance like Shakira, my body makes me want to dance with the dance beat. The decoration and the atmosphere of the restaurant had a lot of vivid colors. It was like living and experiencing a tropical island. Different music plays each time, and there is a live band. The customs and the staff were really friendly. The restaurant was full of vibrant colors and costumes are like in a carnival. The dancers were absolutely perfect because they can literally dance to any music in the background. Something that was cool was that an employee, bartender, waitress, and hostess can literally dance and join the performance. They even had a Michael Jackson impersonator.

When my parents and I had brunch in the Palace restaurant, it was mostly full of gay men and other people. The food was absolutely delicious; it is like you don’t even know what to choose due many good entrées. During brunch at Palace, there was a live show about drag queens who would dance, sing and perform to the customer while they were eating. They had crowd-pleasing performances every twenty - thirty minutes. The costumes, the dance moves, and the bodies on these "women" made it a jaw-dropping experience I would never forget. They were so entertaining and funny at the same time. The outfits that drag queens would wear were vivid club dress and high heels to look fashionable. I loved every second of their performances. I respect their confidence for having a live show in the restaurant and that they are gay men.

Group of my parent’s friends and I decided to go to beach in the wonderful Miami scene. A very beautiful beach with turquoise water, yellow grainy sand and nice people can be described how South Beach is. The best part is that directly across the street on the other side of the beach locates all of the hotels, restaurants, stores, café, and nightlife with the ocean view. Everything there is walking distance, you don’t even need a rental car because it is just a quick walk. The music in the background was playing and some people around us were dancing and just laughing at ourselves. I wandered around along, with the grainy, brown sand that push my bare feet under and leaves a perfect imprint mark. The beach was literally clear with turquoise water which you would not see in other beaches. I was taken in with the soothing, relaxing, peaceful atmosphere. I could just lie here all day to relax, breathe the air and just stare at the ocean which would be peaceful.

I wanted to stay here forever and realize, at this point, this is where I need to come for calm and peace, where all things seem perfect and carefree. There is nowhere in the world quite like this. Warm beaches and plenty of fun was the thing that I can describe for my trip to Miami.