The Right bullet for the Right Man | Teen Ink

The Right bullet for the Right Man

By TaroXxFNxX, San Jose, California
TaroXxFNxX, San Jose, California

I thought of Tom was a man who should learn how his actions will come to bite him so I did that by having him shot by George instead of Gatsby. The rest was made as a way how things may play out after the shotting which might be mostly accurate.

Since this is a fan fiction which means it won't be long so sue me.

I stepped out onto my front lawn pacing back and forth thinking how Gatsby would be if everyone started coming after him. I was deep in my thoughts until a glimpse of flashing red and blue lights caught my attention. Their origin seemed to be at the Buchanan's mansion.

When I arrived at the Buchanan’s place, it was crowded with police and a swarm of reporters trying to get a great scoop at the scene. As I got past all of the crowd, I saw two bodies at the front porch. One was Tom clutching his chest laying on the ground, slumped against one pillar. The other body was George Wilson laying flat on his face.

I overheard one of the Officers making the comment “Mad man” as he saw George’s body. I saw Daisy sobbing the words I could interpret as she wailed were, “That… that… bullet was… *sob* f… f… for me!”

I looked at Daisy. She seemed a nervous reck. I could piece together that Tom was shot by George and then George killed himself. I decided to leave the Mansion which made me feel as if I escape a graveyard of gray lifeless matter.

Two weeks after the shooting had passed, I received a letter from Gatsby in which I read that Daisy had committed suicide and her daughter was to be delivered to me since I was her closest relative. The rest of the letter was how grieve struck he was to hear Daisy killed herself.

I visited Gatsby that evening who was on the dock reaching what was now a fading green light with tears in his eyes.

“You miss her don’t you?” I asked Gatsby.

He replied with a depressing tone, “She was all I ever was sought, and now she’s gone. What do I do now?”

The next morning I took Pammy with me, since she was left in my custody, to Gatsby’s place. We approached the gates, but a voice shouted behind us asking, “Is this the Gatsby Mansion that everyone talks about?”

I looked in the direction of the voice and saw a woman standing there in white clothing.

I asked her, “Friend of Gatsby’s or family member?”

She told me her name was Emily Nightingale. She was a nurse tending to Gatsby’s wounds when he returned injured from the battle they were in.

“He sure was one to fix up with a few scars here and there,” Emily chuckled. “Anyway enough about me. I assume he isn’t feeling cheery these days.”

I was stunned to hear that out of all the people beside me came to comfort Gatsby was a nurse who knew him during the war.

We entered the mansion and walked around it, advising Pammy to stay close so she wouldn’t get lost. We finally found Gatsby in his bedroom looking over the balcony.

He moaned “Daisy, daisy, daisy. Where are you now?”

Emily approached him first. When Gatsby turned toward her, he nearly jumped.

“Emily? Emily Nightingale, is that you?” Gatsby uttered this as he was excited to see her but slump back down to his mournful state.

The day visit from Emily seemed to lifted his spirits a bit but he wasn’t willing to move on so I stepped in to help him. Several hours past with our conversation.

“Gatsby you should let go and give Emily a chance,” I started. “She seems to be very interested in you.”

Gatsby turned to me and responded, “What if she doesn’t like me for who I am. I met Daisy and only tried to prove to her and now she is gone.”  

“You can try again with Emily. With a woman who actually has interest in who you are!” I argued. Gatsby turned away for a few moments.

During those moments of waiting Pammy tugged on my shirt she asked, “Should we go Nick?”

I responded, “May be best to leave mister Gatsby some time alone.”

Yesterday he seemed to be depressed but today seeing him to go back to his house with a bright smile on his face.

“What is mister Gatsby smiling about?” asked Pammy.

“He is happy and maybe happier than he ever was,” I replied to Pammy with a happy tone. “What is he happy about mister Nick?” “He might have found a new passion for life Pammy,” I cheered.

As the weeks went by Gatsby and Emily were together and had a better dynamic than Gatsby would have with Daisy. I would catch glimpses of them going through old memories.

“Remember the time I had to patch up your arm?” “The time we had to help your leg?” Gatsby and Emily had found they were meant for each other.

Emily’s feelings for Gatsby were made when she found how much of a gentleman he was.

Gatsby replied in a shaky tone with, “I always had charm where I go.”

I could sense that Gatsby is feeling challenged. He promised Daisy he would always love her. But now he meets someone who was nicer and with Daisy gone how can he still hold his promise to her.

What came next was a surprise. Gatsby admitted he actual had feelings for her too. This declaration made it as if the world has stopped moving.

“Oh Jay!” Emily squeaked this with overwhelming joy.

Three months has passed but Gatsby and Emily became one of the most beautiful couples I have ever seen. Emily did find out he bootlegged beer but that didn’t bother her one bit.

I could see them almost everywhere at Gatsby’s. In the rooms, at the pool, all over town they seemed to be affectionate towards one another. They were a good pair.

As for me and Pammy, we decided to head to minnesota to have Pammy see her other relatives. I wanted to spend sometime raising her in a better place so she could bloom.

“Heading off old sport?” Gatsby was see us off with Emily next to him.

“I want little Pammy here to see the other side of the US!” I replied in a amused tone.

“Hope you come back some day old sport.” Gatsby said this in high hopes.

“I promise to come back and I hope you have a good life.” I shouted this as I got Pammy into the Car. “I never met a man more amazing than you.”

I drove off the driveway with Pammy in the back. I saw Gatsby and Emily wave towards us as we drove away towards a home I felt ready to come back to for a short while.  I would return to Gatsby one day to see his own life shaping up to the better but I end the tale here for now.