The dark but mellow ending | Teen Ink

The dark but mellow ending

By pablo1234, San Jose, California
pablo1234, San Jose, California

In was inspired to make a different ending were death was inevitable. 

none 

I chose this ending because of the bad-tasting ending from the book and how it left many holes as to how the characters would move forward after the gruesome events occurred. The inspiration came from wanting a good ending that would satisfy my own idea of a good ending and to show that Daisy was not to blame for a ]nything that happened and what occurred in the incident was truly an accident but could have been avoided.   

As they were driving back from the city, daisy was in distress after having a serious dispute between here wavering love of Tom and gatsby. Daisy tells Gatsby, “ I’ll drive I want to clear my head.” Gatsby retaliates and convinces daisy to not drive and gatsby takes the wheel. 

Gatsby shockingly asks, “Has your love truly waver between the love that I have kept for so long and the love that brings you pain every time he leaves for “important business”.” Daisy baffled and unaware of what her actions have caused and the void that she had ultimately created in her heart. Although Daisy's heart was conflicted, Gatsby's love was absolute and there were no faint trickles of doubt. As they were nearing a certain shop, a woman that looked distressed and roughed up came running towards the yellow car, gatsby reluctantly was able to swerve off on time and miss hitting the women.  

Gatsby’s ghost-ridden face asked, “ What is the matter with you, were you trying to get yourself killed!” 

Daisy’s rushing thoughts came to a crash and hastily exclaimed, “Miss you look awfully injured, but thankfully you weren't hurt, yet why do you have those injuries?!” The mystery woman had only revealed her name to be Myrtle and that she had thought she recognized the vehicle and thought a certain person was in there, but she was wrong. Myrtle had lied about her injuries and apologized to both Gatsby and Daisy before going back to the shop, where a ghost-like man had been waiting for her to come back in. Unbeknownst both to Daisy and Tom that they would never see myrtle ever again due to her moving far away with her husband. 

West egg, where Gatsby’s and Daisy's last stop would be for the night until they had both cleared their minds of what had occurred between both incidents, with the near-crash and Daisy’s wavering love for gatsby. 

Gatsby hesitantly asks daisy, “ Has the love that we once had extinguish from the very bottom of your heart?!” “If it has, will I have to make you fall in love with me again and rekindle that flame again and outshine that of Tom’s??” Although Gatsby was aware of the overwhelming pressure that daisy was feeling, he was as confused as to why she was indecisive when he knew he could make her happier.

Daisy surprisingly speaking up since the incident at the shop, “ You’re right Jay, somewhere deep in my heart I was never able to come to terms with the falsehood of being together with tom.” “ Jay, I have always loved you, ever since I met you before you left for war, I had always waited for you no matter what, now that I know your love is genuine and sacrificed so much for me I am able to love you again….” Daisy was able to overcome her created void with the push of Gatsby's meaningful words. 

Ultimately daisy was able to come to her senses and face tom and tell him that in the end that their love was no more than an imitation to seem like a genuine family, but in reality was not, but also lead daisy to an inescapable prison of judgement and mislead feelings that could not be replaced by none other than gatsby himself. Tom was unable to comprehend what she was saying and why now of all times, buy gatsby still had a dangerous card to play with revealing a horrible truth about Tom's affair with the women which he had encountered when their incident occurred. 

Gatsby aggressively facing tom, “ If you had never crossed paths with that woman, myrtle, I really would have had a tougher time relaying my love to Daisy, but you did and that showed the limit of your “love” with her, you might as well have had treated her like a shining trophy that could not be feared by others and only have her on display.” 

Tom aggravated, “ Was that not the case for you when you had left her behind all those years ago??!! She had waited but her knight never returned to love her once more and eternally be together…” 

The bickering between them ended shortly after daisy returned, she was delighted to have finally divorced from tom and was able to break those shackles that chained her down in the endless prison she had awaited in. Tom had left defeated and bewildered as to what he would do now that he had lost the person that stood by his side and unbeknownst that myrtle would not be waiting for him either.