A day on repeat | Teen Ink

A day on repeat

This piece was inspired by the 1978 film "Halloween" by John Carpenter.

The day started like a normal one, I woke up, took a shower, ate breakfast, got dressed, and drove to work. When I was driving to work, I heard an interesting story, 6-year-old Michael Myers murdered his sister and her boyfriend while he was dressed in his Halloween costume on Halloween night, which was the night before. “Michael is now in a mental institution after being diagnosed with dyslexia,” said the man on the radio, “since he isn’t old enough, Michael would have his trial on his 18th birthday.” 

When I entered my office to start work, I noticed my co-worker, Josh, trip over a suitcase that was left behind. Then I went to the elevator to go to my level faster since I work on the top floor. When I approached the elevator, there was a sign that said, “out of order, will be fixed tomorrow.” I sighed to myself, “today is a weird day,” I whispered to myself, “let’s just hope it gets better.” After I climbed up the stairs and got buzzed by the security guard, Ron, I checked my PO box.  

Inside my PO box, there was a letter from the institution of genetics, or IOG for short. I knew what this was, I had taken a DNA test so I could discover more about my family. I decided that I would open the letter when it was my lunch break. When my lunch break finally came, I grabbed my letter and sat next to my best friend, George. “Yes,” said George, “it’s finally here.”  

“Are you ready for this,” I ask him, “we have been waiting for we have been waiting months for this.” “I’ve been ready for this.” I sit down and excitedly tear open the envelope. Then my mouth drops open wide. 

There, on the paper that showed my family tree, was Michael Myers, the kid that was on the radio when I was driving to work. “What is it,” asked George, I showed him the paper and pointed to Michael’s name, he put his hands over his mouth to not scream at the top of his lungs. “OK,” said George after a few minutes and leading me in the bathroom, “what do we do about this?” “I think we should just do nothing and let this whole think blow over,” I told him, “Just because Michael is a killer doesn’t mean that I am one, too.” 
“You’re right,” said George, “there’s no reason to cause a scene over this.” Then, the lights were cut off, I immediately crouched down and pulled George with me. “Stay here,” I told George, “I’ll turn the power back on.” I moved through the dark hallways, found a flashlight, and turned it on. I was able to use the flashlight to find the generator room. 

I was able to turn on the generator, but when I turned around, I saw a little boy in a clown mask. I recognized him, it was Michael. Michael raised his knife that he was holding in his hand the entire time and stabbed me in the leg. I let out a scream as Michael stood over me. Michael took of his mask and said, “say hi to Judith for me.” He then plunged the knife into my chest. 

I woke up as soon as the knife hit my chest. I woke up screaming, waking up my dog, Chester. Chester started barking in excitement. Was the entire thing a dream? I took a shower, got dressed, but when I started making my breakfast, I noticed that the milk that I poured was still there, it was a dream. I ate breakfast and got in my car. When I was driving to work, I heard the same radio station talking about the Michael Myers case. 
A normal person would just think that it would be a coincidence, but I realized that the same person was saying the exact same thing as the dream. “Michael is now in a mental institution after being diagnosed with dyslexia,” said the man on the radio, “since he isn’t old enough, Michael would have his trial on his 18th birthday.” I was freaking out at this point, “This can’t be happening right now,” I said to myself, “it is just one big, huge coincidence. Michael and I are not even related in any way.” I drove to work, and all was normal, until I saw Josh trip over the same briefcase as the dream. I went to the elevator, no way that it would be out of order like the dream. But there I was, standing in front of the elevator with a sign that read, “out of order will be fixed tomorrow.” 

I felt like I was a future teller or something, then, I remembered the letter. I ran up the stairs and eventually made it to the top. I got buzzed in and I ran to my PO box. I unlocked it and looked inside, and there, in a red and blue envelope, my letter from IOG. I had some time since I was early so, I went over to George. I showed him my letter and he looked at it wide eyed when I showed him Michael’s name on the paper. 

We went to the break room, and I told him everything, “everything in my dream has happened today so far,” I told him, “The radio show that I listened to talked about Michael, the elevator is out of service, Josh tripped over a briefcase, and my letter from IOG came in today.” George looked back at me, “Is there anything bad that’s going to happen next,” he asked me, “if we know that it is going to happen maybe we can prevent it from happening in the first place.” “Oh, yeah,” I said, “Michael’s going to cut out the power to lure me into the generator to kill me.” “Ok,” said George, “maybe, we can make sure that everyone gets out safely and get to the police station to report attempted murder.” “Well, there’s one problem with that plan,” I told him, “No-one is going to believe that a 6-year-old boy with dyslexia is trying to kill his uncle at a workplace.” 

“Yeah, that does sound like that is coming from a crazy person,” said George. “But how do we stop my death?” “I don’t know but you need to clock in and start doing work, you don’t want to get fired on your 2nd week here.” I started to walk into the room where I clock in, then George yelled, “hey, when is it again?” then I yelled back, “during our lunchbreak.” 

The rest of the day went normally and was easier since I knew who was calling at what time and what they needed. Then my lunch break came along and when I saw that George wasn’t where he was sitting in the break room, I was filled with fear, where’d he gone? I looked in the bathroom and I saw Michael pulling a knife out of a dead George. I let out a horrified scream, another one of my co-workers saw Michael, and he screamed too. “I’m calling the police,” he said, “this is not a joke!” I was able to disarm Michael and tackled him to the ground.  
Even though he had a 40-year-old man on top of him and pushing him down, Michael was able to push me off him and into one of the urinals. The urinal broke when my body hit the lip of it. The water from the urinal spilled on my head as the urinal broke, some of it even got into my mouth, making me cough. When I looked back up to look at Michael, he was right in my face. Just like the previous time, he took his mask off and said, “say hi to Judith for me.” 

I woke up for the 3rd time in a fury, I was so close to catching Michael, but he was able to overpower me and kill me. The 3rd time around, I had a better plan, this plan is something that I decided to do just in case something like this ever happened to me. I only had to execute this plan. I drove to my workplace, got my letter from my PO box, showed it to George, and told him that I am stuck in a time loop and to not tell anyone because I would seem like a psychopath. Then I clocked into my office and waited in the bathroom until I heard George enter the bathroom. I saw him walk past my stall and then I saw a child’s feet following him. I knew the feet belonged to Michael. 

I saw George turn around, then I heard him say, “Hey kid, where are your parents? You should not be here.” Then I heard him say, “What, why do you have a knife, hey put that down!” Then I saw George drop down, his lifeless body staring towards me. I knew that it was time to execute my plan. 

I unlocked my stall door and kicked it open. I was able to hit Michael with the door, which stunned him and made him drop his knife. I took advantage of the opportunity and picked up the knife while Michael was still recovering from the door hitting him in the face. I was able to push Michael to the ground but then, suddenly, security burst into the room. “Get on the ground now!” fail 

I woke up the 4th time and I knew that I had to find out how Michael was getting into the workplace and how he was able to sneak his knife and mask past security. So, when I arrived at the workplace, I waited in a chair until Michael entered. When I saw Michael enter the building, he walked up to the security guard who was working that day, his name is Dante. When Michael finally reached Dante’s desk, he just snapped his fingers twice. 

Snap, snap, that is all it took for Michael to put Dante in the trance-like state. “Which level does my uncle work on,” asked Michael, “top floor,” said Dante. Michael walked onto the staircase and started climbing the stairs. I then looked at my watch, it was 8:27 am, 3 minutes until I was supposed to clock in. I ran up the stairs and was able to get passed Michael without him noticing that I was passing by him. I clocked in, just in time to not right on time for work. This time, instead of telling George about Michael, I decided to trap Michael.  

I ran into the generator room, and I knew that Michael would come to lure me. But, unlike the first time, I already knew that he was coming to the room, so I knew what I was going to do. When   I heard Michael enter the room, I knew that it was time to end the loop. 

I heard Michael walk up to the generator, then I heard some typing, he was trying to shut off the generator with keyboard commands. I knew it was time to stop this nightmare of the day. I ran from my spot and ran towards Michael, or, who I thought was Michael. I turned out one of the security guards was checking on the generator and would be the one that turned off the power accidentally. “What are you doing here,” he said, “you are supposed to be working upstairs.”  

“I thought that there was going to be someone that was going to attack us,” I said, “how would you know that in the first place,” asked the security guard, “did you get a threat or something, and if you did, why did you not tell anyone?” I tripped over my words to find an excuse for why I was there and not look like a psychopath. I kept trying to find an excuse while I was just talking gibberish, “say something,” said the security guard, “I do not have all day for this.” The security guard turned me around and put me in handcuffs. While the security guard was pushing me out of the building, a car was driving like crazy and ran into us. 

I woke up in a sweat this loop, I knew that it was time to finally stop Michael from killing me. I arrived at work and acted like it was a normal day. Then when it was my lunch break, I waited until the security guard accidentally turned off the lights. Then, I told George to stay in the break room and then I pulled a knife from the block. I waited until I heard the door open. When I heard the footsteps of Michael leading into the room, I seaked behind him and stabbed him right then and there. When the lights came back on, I noticed that the person that I had stabbed wasn’t even Michael at all, it was George’s son, Alex.  

“Wait,” I said , “if that’s not Michael...” I turned around and saw Michael standing there. I tried to back away, but I tripped over myself and fell backward. Michael stood over me and said, “say hi to judith for me.” 

This book has 1 comment.

justarandomguy, Florida, Florida

don't let people define you, only you can.

this is cool