A Captains Darkness | Teen Ink

A Captains Darkness

By Leocean, Apex, North Carolina
Leocean, Apex, North Carolina

i enjoy writing and enjoyed writing this price as I wrote it for a writing assignment I class

Another mornings ray of sunshine fell into the captains quarters and awoke the captain of the Straw Hats groggily. The Straw Hats captain slowly made his way outside onto the deck and looked around slowly at his ragtag crew that lie strewn about waiting, wanting to do something. That's when the captain made his decision, it was time to set off on another adventure, the crew had been idle for too long now and it was time to make a decision. The captain then quickly gathered all of the members of his 8 man crew and began short meeting to discuss where they should head off to.

“Hoy captain I say we head south with the wind and hope to find an island” said Ivan loudly right off the bat,

“Na I say we head east, the wind would deter other pirates and we know for a fact there are many islands westward” said Theo proudly while standing up,

“Well I think I speak for the rest of the crew when I say that Captain or First Mate should be the only ones deciding” said Ed has he hobbled down to a seated position,

“Alrighty then I'll just make the damn decision, Let's head east, if we leave now we should be able to avoid a couple of storms and then we can begin plundering any islands we please!” said captain Larris whilst looking at his first mate for reassurance,

“All right, let's get the sails up and get this ship moving” said all crew members as the began moving to their posts,

The ship made its way out of port at once and began heading east. The slight southern wind made waves bounce against the ship and made the sails slightly creak under the light pressure, but this was good for the pirates. Because now they could almost guarantee that there would be no pirates or navy after them as they made there way to the closest island that was hopefully full of bountiful treasure that was just waiting to be taken by the Straw Hats.

Exactly 8 hours after the Straw Hats departure from the trading island they saw their first mass of land. Its was another couple hours away but the island looked to be very well maintained and most likely inhabited.

“Hoy captain, there's an island directly in our path, east” said Theo while looking at the island through a telescope,

“Alright then, does it look promising?” asked the captain from the stern of the ship,

“I think so, it looks inhabited but the island itself is pretty small, I can see the whole of it from here i believe.” said theo while still inspecting the island,

“Alright, full speed towards that island, pray for the loot boys!” boomed the captain as walked to the bow,

A short hour later the ship had anchored itself a mile away from the island and the crew began gathering their supplies for their journey onto the island, the 8 man crew quickly packed their small emergency raft with enough rations for a 2 day trip and all together they made their way to the island. Once on the island the Straw Hats quickly found a well beaten trail and began to follow it carefully. The trail continued into the heart of the island for just over a mile until it opened up into small town. However this town was not like any other town, it was dead silent, there were no children playing, no men or women chatting, no people moving around trading, it was silent. The Straw Hats continued carefully into the small village knocking on door and calling out but they found noody, not a single soul.

After some investigation the captain of the Straw Hats came to a decision, he decided that the town must have been abandoned, and that all of the things left behind were free to whomever found them first. And so the 8 man crew began their pirate duties, the crew quickly made their way from house to house taking everything and anything they could. The houses that were thought to be abandoned housed a surprisingly great amount of treasure, lots of gold, jewelry, jewls and family heirlooms. All of these things were great for the Straw Hats, it meant a good payout for an easy days work. The crew was even able to find large amounts of meats, breads and fruits that were still safe to eat.

After a short 2 hours the crew had taken everything of worth and began making their way back to the ship when they heard Theo calling out to them from a short ways away.

“HEY, HEY YALL NEED TO SEE THIS, NOW” said Theo yelling to his crew,

“Huh, what's Theo want” said Ivan while still walking away,

“I dunno, but he sounds damn desperate, i think we should go see” said Ed stopping on the trail,

“Alright Ivan take four people and go see what happening, the first mate and i will take all this back to the ship and wait” said Captain Lassic walking away from his men,

The captain and first mate of the straw hats slowly made their way back to the ship dragging three large bags full to the brim with treasure and food, the first mate got into the small dingy and put two bags in it with him and made his way out to the ship while the captain awaited his return. However when the first mate was about half a mile away the Captain could hear someone running towards him, quickly pulling his sword the captain awaited his aggressors approach. But there was no aggressor, instead it was Theo running at full speed towards the captain.

“Ca…..Captain, we...we found the people of the village”said Theo out of breath,

“Well what the hell, why are you the only one here, now we need to leave” said the captain puzzled,

“No captain all of the people, they're all… all dead.” said Theo shakily

At this the captain quickly left his post and followed Theo into the forest where the townspeople were. The captain and Theo arrived at the mouth of a large cave in a small hill and walked inside. At  the first step in the captain could smell rotting flesh, a disgusting smell that the captains nose had only ever smelled once before in his life, a smell he hoped to never smell again. They rounded a corner and saw the other 5 crewmen standing with their heads drooped down, in front of them lay a wasteland. Bodies were spread about all down the rest of the cave as far as the eye could see. The bodies of mothers, fathers, children, everyone. The bodies were all covered in slash marks and the all of the males had cutlasses in their hands with unrelenting grips.

“What…...what the hell is this” said the captain while trying not to gag,

“I…..I don't even know” said Theo shocked,

“They must have had a pact or something, a suicide pact or….or something” said Ed hunching over,

“No… no way, it looks like the men just killed everyone” said Theo,

“All right, that's enough,forget about it, were leaving now” said the captain sternly,

Making their way back to the shore they were met by the first mate who was going to question the crew but decided it best not to do so by the grim faces and expressions of his fellow crewmates. The ride back to the ship was gloomy and quiet until the first mate questioned where they would go now and like a robot the captain answered that they would head back to the trading post midland to sell all the valuables. The rest of the ride was ghostly.

Once back on the ship the first mate adjusted the sails and they were off, headed back to the place they had just left. The captain eventually made his way up to the  first mate and they stood there silently for what felt like hours until the first mate spoke.

“It must have been pretty bad, whatever you saw” said the first mate

“It was, worse than you can imagine, women and children, all slaughtered” the captain said quietly,

“That..that's…..horrible, I can't even imagine” said the first mate looking away,

“You don't want to, I just hope nothing like that ever happens to any of us” said the captain walking away,

“There's a thick mist on the horizon, it should be here any moment” said the first mate,

“So what, just steer the ship, i'm going to bed” said the captain reaching the bottom of the stairs,

“Alright, have safe dreams!” said the first mate trying to cheer up the captain,

As the captain slowly made his way back to his personal quarters he could feel the thick mist creeping onto the ship. The mist completely coated the ship like a wave and made visibility very minimal. The captain tried his best o walk through the mist to his bead, when he eventually found it he collapsed. The captain laid on his head staring into the thick grey mist for what felt like hours, the mist seemed to wrap itself around the captain like a blanket. This blanket of fog slowly put the captain into a deep sleep. The fog made its way completely around the ship and like a warm blanket it quickly put all of the crew members into a deep sleep.

Once asleep the captain had a dream, a dream in which he say himself and his crew arriving onto an island. In the distance the captain saw a village full of life, kids running around, parents talking, men tending to fires, etc. Then the dream skipped forward in time quickly. The captain saw himself and his crew arrive in the townsquare and begin a speech to the people and then without any warning the captain watched as himself and his men drew their cutlasses, he watched in shock as his own men and himself began hacking and slashing the innocent people of the small village. Then all of the sudden he was back in his body, except he had no control, he couldn't do anything. He was like a ghost trapped inside his own body. The captain watched first hand as he mercilessly slaughtered the villages people. He watched as he drug his cutlass across the countless throats of men, women and children. He could hear all of their screams and pleas perfectly as he continued slaughtering.

Then the captain woke up with a gasp, it had all been a dream, none of it was true. Quickly he threw his covers off and made his way outside hopeful that some fresh air would clear his mind of the horrors he had just experienced. However when he made his way outside the real horror was awaiting him. The putrid stench of blood swept into his nostrils as he gazed across his ship with his eyes meeting the mangled and slashed bodies of his loyal crewmates. They had all been slashed numerous time across the throats mercilessly. The captain completely in shock stood there staring at the dead bodies of his crewmates before looking down at his hands that were completely covered in dried blood along with his clothes that were also drenched in the blood of his loyal mates. He stood there for what felt like hours before slumping down to the ground, his hands muffled his wails as the Straw Hats ship pulled into the docks of a very peaceful trading island on another warm and sunny summers day.