Bailey’s Visiom | Teen Ink

Bailey’s Visiom

April 27, 2021
By Seevy1038 BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
More by this author
Seevy1038 BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I act as if i'm bailey

The author's comments:

“Hey Martin, your speech was phenomenal. It really spoke to me,” someone from the crowd yelled. 

This woman came from the crowd and began introducing herself to Martin.

“Hi, I’m Bailey Sanders. I just turned 19 and thought about becoming an activist full time. I have been preaching for years but I go unnoticed due to my age. My words are just as powerful and have as much meaning as any persons.” Bailey preached.

Bailey invited Martin Luther King Jr. to join them and he agreed. Martin and Bailey shook hands; Bailey had this vision that two cockeyed, buff white men were going to shoot Martin. On the inside of their van, there were blood patches and holes all throughout the van.

“What is wrong my dear child?” Martin asked.

In Bailey’s vision she saw these two men pointing and looking at Martin, she didn’t know how to tell Martin that he might be in danger. She gave him a blank stare; Bailey looked as if a ghost had startled her. She then proceeded to tell Martin to stay with the protesters. Martin was confused, but he saw how persistent she was to keep him with the group. 

Martin and the rest of the protesters gathered on the street with their signs. Bailey’s legs started shaking, her face turned red, she had to use the restroom. She told him that she would be back in a few minutes, he nodded. Bailey rushed to the bathroom, she came back and there was no sign of Martin. She suddenly heard distant shouts; someone calling out for help.

It was Martin. Bailey saw the two men from her vision shoving him into a white van. Bailey started running towards the van; She didn’t catch it in time. Bailey went searching for Martin for hours, there was no sign of him. 

She was stopped at the end of a dark alley; the rain drops dripping off the rooftops made the situation even worse. Bailey couldn’t focus with the ‘drip drop’ noises echoing through her head. As she stepped into the alley she snapped back into reality once she heard the sound of  someone’s radio. On the radio she heard that a young black activist had been hospitalized. 

Someone then proceeded to say, “Ha, they got another one. He's Probably dead as a doornail.” Stranger one snickered.

“No, I heard he was shot a million times.” Stranger two added.

Bailey couldn’t believe how someone could joke about something so serious. The news men announced the hospital the victim had been taken to. The thought of it being her friend crossed her mind, so she went to the hospital to be sure. Upon her arrival to the hospital she stopped a nurse and asked if her friend was in this hospital. 

After giving a vague description of Martin, they took her to his room. Bailey paused at his door. Bailey felt as if she was his mother seeing her son after many years of his absence. She entered his tiny room. The wallpaper was peeling at the root, the little blue duckies on the wall looked sad; It smelled of death. Bailey turned and saw how badly he’d been hurt, guilt washed over her. She didn’t protect him like she said she would. Bailey grabbed his hand and started praying for her friend. Bailey whispered something in Martin’s ear.

“You are as strong as an ox, you can pull through.” Bailey teared up.

As she was holding Martin’s hand she had another vision; this one was worse than the first. In this vision she saw a nurse enter his room. When the nurse entered the walls bright colors began fading; it was almost as if she sucked up all the energy in the room. When she exited his room an alarm was ringing and doctors rushed to his room. 

A few minutes later a nurse came in and told her that she needed to change Martin’s bandages. Bailey was paranoid, she asked the nurse to leave. The nurse insisted on changing his bandages, she threatened to call security on Bailey if she didn't leave willingly. 

Bailey had a feeling that something was wrong, she couldn’t stay in the room so she stepped into the hall. Bailey went to get a coffee, a few minutes later she saw doctors and nurses rush into his room. A few nurses ran after the nurse who was last seen with him. Bailey knew it was too late, she didn’t save her friend in time. 

Bailey was devastated, she couldn’t save her friend. She felt that every person involved had gotten away scott free; She couldn’t save Martin but she knew how to bring justice to him. Bailey left the hospital and went to the police station. 

“My friend was murdered, he didn’t deserve that. People knew how bright and open minded he was, this isn’t right. Please help me by taking down those who have wronged him.” Bailey begged.

The police officers agreed to help her, she didn’t have a lead on the suspects. Bailey said she would come back with evidence, she went looking for the abductors and the devious nurse. A few hours of searching the main streets and Bailey had nothing. 

Bailey remembered that alley with the radio, it was sketchy and mysterious. She called the police for backup. She lurked down the long dark alley, the raindrops dripping from the rooftops. There they were, the three perpetrators. This was her chance. 

The police officers saw Bailey sneaking up on the trio and came running down both ends of the alley, they raised their weapons while looking at Bailey; They couldn’t believe their eyes. She found them. The police officers arrested the three of them, and told Bailey to never pull something like that again.

 The trio were later questioned at the station, the officers threatened to give them life sentences. The deputy was clever, he offered a shorter sentence to whomever gave him the most information. Butch cracked under pressure; he was one of the guys from the van. He told the officers how Berry (his partner), started the whole thing. Berry and the nurse were old lovers, they shared their hate against activism. Butch told everything, they targeted Martin because of how powerful he was and how he could convince anyone to do what he wanted. Butch’s life sentence was reduced to 30 years for abduction, attempted murder, and being an accomplice. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.