On the streets of Milan | Teen Ink

On the streets of Milan

By XiaoPa, Bhubaneswar, Other
XiaoPa, Bhubaneswar, Other

With great power comes great responsibility.

Removing her mask she steps out of the Airport.
Taking in the fresh air, she looks around and says, "Milan I'm back".
As she sits in the taxi, her eyes fall upon the mask in her hands.
She throws it away rolling her eyes. 
"Fussy things actresses have to do", she says with a sigh.
Concealing her identity to avoid the swarms of public came hand in hand with her career option and that was something she didn't like at all. But she didnt mind it anymore because it was now concerned with Milan and she willingly wanted to hide.
Wearing a big hat and big goggles which almost hid most of her face, she stepped out of the taxi. Checking in into her room she checked her phone.
55 missed calls.
Of course she hadn't informed anybody about her trip to Milan.
And her manager was in a total fix juggling between her events and shoots. She felt sorry for her but she was here for a motive and nothing can pull her back.
She opened her purse and took out the invitation for 'Milan's Fashion Festival'. Tiantian,her manager, had asked her not to attend it as she thought this invitation was just to humiliate her, but she couldn't help attending it. She knew it very well that the co-organiser of the event, Fei, who was once her beloved actress rival had invited her on purpose to humiliate her, to bring back those awful memories she had tried hard to forget......

5 years back
I'm Reba. I'm 20 years old and a newbie actress. Rising to fame in such early years is indeed a great fact and adding to it is the invitation for the Milan's Fashion Week. My happiness knew no bounds. And my nearest and dearest ones were elated too. But there were some people who were clearly unhappy. Fei, my rival in acting industry, didn't get invited. She is a senior in the industry and has many upper hands and connections. But since my entry into the industry her limelight started dispersing. And the invitation added to her despising me even more. Anyways I was way too happy to consider any mishaps ahead. Unfortunately.

-Ramp walk! I really need to do that?
-Yes Reba dear, you need to. What else would you do then?
-I can just sit anywhere and look at the goddesses doing walks.
-Really?! Why do you think they have invited you? To just sit, salivate and eat those awful chips?
-Hey! Dont say anything to my lil yummy chips, I said hugging the packets close to me.
-Reba dear. U need to do the walk.
-But Tiantian you already know my clumsy ramp walks.
-Aahh! Dont say anymore. I still have your theatre academy annual year result. 'C' is what you got. Why cant u just do it well?
-Well...I get anxious.
-Then drain it out. And practice.

.........…........ practising ……………....

-After 2 weeks of "practising", I feel confident Tiantian.
-Oh I knew my goddess would excel it. 
As we were about to leave for Milan, Fei came in.
-Reba darling. So are you totally ready for it? I mean you can think of retreating back.
-Thanks Fei for your concern but I m all set.
-Good then. But be careful. Danger lingers everywhere, she said and left.
I was too happy to mind her words. Unfortunately.
At the event
I step on the ramp with confidence but it vanishes in a second seeing the large public before me.
"No Reba you must do it. Fighting!"
I start my walk catiously. I didnt let my clumsiness take over me.
I made my way till the last and the public seem to be admiring me. But when I turned, the heels broke making me fall over the ramp with a thud and the back of my dress tore off. The public broke into fit of laughters. I couldnt help but cry. I picked myself up and ran away.
The organisers apologized but I very well knew it was Fei.
I left Milan that very day swearing never to return again as the echoes of humiliating laughter kept haunting me. It didnt affect my acting career but I was criticised every now and then. 
Since then I never accepted any invitation. But this time it was Fei and I couldn't deny. But I'm still afraid of facing Milan. The anxiety of people recognising me is still killing me and thats why I still prefer to hide. 
But what drives me more is that I need to build back my demolished reputation that I lost 
On the streets of Milan.