No Sign of Life | Teen Ink

No Sign of Life

By inkforuss BRONZE, Roseburg, Oregon
inkforuss BRONZE, Roseburg, Oregon

“Could I imagine being a piano? That’d be awesome. I’d throw a D-minor at you to make you sad, then an F-major to make you happy!”- Brendon Urie

This entire piece is inspired by the show and book: The Haunting at Hill House

The short bob of Ava Lavender flows in the wind catching every single breeze that comes her way. She starts here; the place she grew up in. The dark shadows and small whispers of the home seem inviting. Subtle flashes of a decayed and withered home appear when she blinks, but only once every few minutes. The flashes doesn't deter Ava Lavender, but later she would regret it tremendously. Ava walks through her old home, and she touches every wall with her delicate fingers with little bits of dust come off. The furniture looks exactly the same as when she lived there. The big house seemed almost too real to be true, but she was there in all its glory.

Out of the corner of her eye she sees a figure; The figure almost looks human, but it is going around the house hovering. The entity has long, dark black, braided hair. The braids are loose, but not loose enough to where the hair would immediately fall out of place. The figure has tremendously long sleeves. The sleeves are long enough to touch the floor. When the thing turns around it has no face. Ava Lavender turns back around to where she was. When Ava looks back around the corner she doesn't see the ghost figure, but her little sister who died in the home. The figure has disappeared by now, and all that is left behind is the ghost of her little sister. She has the same clothes that she had on before she died.

The truth is: Ava believes her sister has been alive this whole time. All of her family has been telling her years after the accident that she has been dead.

"Ella Grey? Is that you?" Ava says while shaking at the fact her supposed dead sister is here right in front of her eyes.

"Yes, it is me Ava." Ella Grey, her little sister, says.

Looking for any kind of sign Ava looks around the house. She looks and searches every inch of every room in the house. Except the one room she despises. The room where all of her nightmares came true. The upstairs bedroom where there was no sign of life. No one in the household would ever go into that room. The only time people saw Ava in that room was when the family had the funeral for Ella.

Any funeral is not lighthearted; Everyone knows that someone they loved has died if they are at a funeral. There may be a fun in funeral, but it's never fun. The only person in the house that would ever walk into the bedroom of nightmares would be Ella. The vibe of the room would draw her into it. When the family went into the room it was decayed and rotten inside, but they went on with the funeral anyways. The disgusted feeling of the room made the whole house feel this way.

Ava comes back to reality where she's standing in the old room; oddly her sister is right next to her. Ava doesn’t remember the walk from the living room back to the nightmare room. When she opens the door all she sees the the old decaying house. There are holes in the roof, spiders are crawling from one wall to another, and the furniture is withered and chewed through like an old chew toy. When Ava turns around she sees not her sister, but the figure she saw earlier. Two feet in front of her she sees the ghost. That’s not her sister at all. The ghost figure hovers over to her and holds out her long arm. The only thing she she holds onto is the white sleeve of the ghost. Ava holds on for dear life as the ghost starts to drag her to the tallest point of the home. She  is mesmerized by the fact she is dragged upstairs by a paranormal thing, these things can’t be real, but it's right here in front of her eyes.

When they get to the top of the house the ghost turns back into her little sister and tells her “It’s alright Ava. I’m right here. There is no need to worry.” The ghost of her little sister brings her to the edge and turns her around.

Little Ella Grey says “Goodbye.”, as she pushes her sister off of the building. The feeling of falling to your death never have felt so right. The air pushing around your body as you fall face forward looking at the ground; looking at your death sentence.