Daughter of a Preachin' Man | Teen Ink

Daughter of a Preachin' Man

December 19, 2011
By xXx_Fox_xXx BRONZE, Conbe, Iowa
More by this author
xXx_Fox_xXx BRONZE, Conbe, Iowa
4 articles 1 photo 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Where a rose is, a thistle can not grow" ~The Secret Garden
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Ghandi
"Every road leads somewhere, its just a matter of where you want to go..." ~???


Sunday
Cali hated it all she hated every fiber of every word of every page of every book of the Bible. It meant nothing to her, she wanted no part. Of course to the rest of her family this was "THE BOOK" But why? Why was it that way? Why did they blindly follow a book? She looked around her church. It was a typical Sunday and all was peaceful, or in other words (her words) boring. When things were like they are now they had nothing to them! Days are too easy, Cali wished that for once she could be like a girl in a book. A heroine, someone just plain awesome, but no Cali would never be that girl. She would always be the preaching man's daughter.
Being the daughter of the preacher she was required to do ALL the church activities, meaning mission trips. She hated missions trips. Its not like they even helped anyone. Plus she could NEVER talk her way out of it. Yest-day was the first day of summer which means that on Friday they leave for their yearly mission trip. Cali sank lower in her seat, her black hair becoming tangled with the fabric of the pew. She sighed when her father made a loud slapping sound by closing his Bible. He told the crowd to bow their heads and pray. Cali normally bowed her head and let her mind wander, but today she didn't. Why she should she? God doesn't listen to the sinners. No he just listens to the goody two shoes who brown nose him. Thats the way things work. The whole congregation said amen and the church was released. As soon as her father caught sight of Cali he made a straight arrow for her.
"I saw that you didn't bow your head when we prayed. Not that i wasn't, but anyway. Why is that?" Cali had a choice here. She could man up and tell the truth in front of the congregation or she could tell him later. There was also the option of not telling him at all. Her entire 15 years have been spent not telling him. Now was the time to get it out into the open. If the old hens knew, who cared?! Its not like she'd attend church after this conversation anyway. Cali took a deep breath and put on her biggest fake smile.
"Because, my one, my only father. I don't believe in your God any more." With that sentence Cali turned and left her father completely speechless. She was out of the church before her father could even begin to fathom her words.
She was crying, why was she crying? Why did this hurt so much? It was suppose to free her, make her happy. Cali kept walking unsure of her destination. The sidewalk is what she felt like. Constantly walked all over and ragged, but when someone finally pulls the weeds it just reveals the cracks. What would she do now. Her family would more than likely disown her and without the church she didn't really have friends.
"Its too pretty of a day to cry." Came a voice. It was from above her. Was it God? Was he already punishing her. Cali looked up, there was a boy in the tree.
"Shut up, I don't even know you!" Even the people she didn't know already disliked her.
"I can change that." the boy replied as he jumped down from the tree. He got his balance and held out his hand to Cali. She stared at him. Searching his green eyes for something, she didn't know what. Cali took the boy's hand without smiling.

His hand was cold and it sent chills down her arm. He smiled oddly too. It was a half crooked smile that when he laughed showed teeth. Who was this...friendly...person? Was he mocking because of her tears? Cali dropped cold hand and stared him in the eyes. Not fearing of his judgement. She took a deep breath and spoke, her voice not near as strong as she was hopping for.
"W-who are you?!" Why was her voice still shaking a bit? The boy did one of his odd smile and his eye lit up a bit. He annoyed Cali.
"I am Robin." With that statement in his simple looks Cali had to laugh. She NEEDED to laugh. Robin looked confused.
"Whats so funny?" Once Cali finally got a hold of herself she tried explain her thoughts.
"Your name is Robin and you were sitting in a tree. You just look so..." She was tiring to find a nice way to say simple, nothing came to mind.
Robin smiled and looked at her.
"like a simpleton? I know I'm plain, I get that a lot. I was curious though, why are you crying?" Cali's previous mood lift had evaporated. She looked at the side walk thinking of how it was like her, or she like it. Would she tell Robin, basically a stranger. COULD she even trust him? He didn't seem that...christian-y. Cali looked at him eyes wide and tear stained cheeks hesitant. Then words began spill form her mouth before she could stop them.
Cali's legs dangled aimlessly from the tree. It was a perfect kind of tree, big but not too many branches or leaves. from where she was sitting you had a perfect view of the sky. Have you ever noticed that? The sky is always perfect. Perfectly blue or perfectly gray. The sky was always reliable...She glanced at Robin he had his eyes closed, but not the sleeping kind of closed, the closed that meant you were thinking in a profound kind of way and needed to block out the word. Her tears had dried and she now head the level head to think. How would her parents react? How would she reply? Did even matter what she said? Again Cali glanced at Robin waiting for his reply. The church bell chimed meaning it was ten and church was done. She had been sitting here and hour. No more would Cali wait. In a rude sort of way she blurted
"Are you going to say anything?!"
Robin turned his head towards her and opened one eye. He gave a half hearted smile and jumped from the tree. He began to walk and for some reason this angered Cali. He was walking away after she told him part of her life's story?!
"Hey! Where are you going? You're not being very fair!" She sounded child like as she jumped from the tree. She stomped after him and caught up. She stood right behind him and spun Robin so he was facing her. Cali hadn't realized how close she had gotten till then but oh well for that. Robin smiled that awkward smile and leaned a little closer, Cali backed up a bit.
"To the tree of knowledge of course." Robin turned and kept walk. What was Robin talking about? Like the tree from the bible? This dude was loony! Despite her last thought Cali followed.
Cali looked around as she walked it was like an orchard filled with trees from a forest. They were lined up squarely like they were apple trees but then you looked closer and they turned out to big cedars and dog woods. Robin was leading her to the center of them. there stood a majestic dogwood in full bloom. They couldn't be that far from the church, this had to be someone's backyard. Robin climbed up a branch and held out his hand. Cali hesitated, she was becoming really unsure of her recent choices...Today was just filled with stupid things. Sitting in a tree with a stranger might be another one. She glanced back down the path. Who cared? Her parents would probably kill her anyway.
"Why did we have to come here?" Said Cali as she fixed herself on the branch, after adjusting her jeans (they were her nicest pair) she looked up. The two branches they were sitting on made it perfect for talking. Hers was almost straight out from the dog wood and RObin's was slightly lower and was a bit more twisted.
"The tree before was a tree for thinking, this tree is for sharing knowledge." He was just so serious Cali had to hold in a laugh but partially failed.
"Do you have a tree for everything?" She said trying to be serious. Robin hung his head a little and turned to where his backed leaned on the trunk of the winding dogwood.
"Yes, I do." His voice sounded a little sore which made Cali feel bad.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that its just..I've never actually talked to anyone like that before..Ya' know tell them things I had felt...." Robin closed his eyes and he began to slowly speak.
"My father planted this little forest, he loved nature....This is my favorite tree. Here we used to talk and laugh. You never had that eh? Then how about this." Robin straightened his back and opened one eye just like he did before. Cali was beginning to understand this was the look he had when and idea came to him.
"You and I will become the kind of friends that can do that."Robin said in his honest voice.
"Do what?" Cali said earnestly. She wasn't stupid, she was just slightly slower when it came to people, they were much harder to understand.
"Tell each other everything." Now Cali understood and this made her smile. She and Robin would be friends. She hadn't had any real friends besides the sunday school kids, they really didn't count. Cali held out her pinky and felt a bit sheepish.
"Promise you'll tell me everything?" Robin looked at her finger and the wrapped his pinky around her's.
"Promise"
Cali nodded and dropped her hand. She then became extremely serious.
"What should I do?" Robin closed his eye again and seemed to be contemplating his words.
"I know what you'll do." Then he began to divulge his grand plan and Cali hung on every word.
Cali stood at her doorway tears streaming down her face again. In her head she ran over the plan again and again. It was taking all she had to even think about entering.  Finally she summed up enough courage to knock on the door. She heard her father's heavy steps and the door opened. He didn't hug her or cry tears of joy. He simply stared. Cali stood, wanting to be invited in, wanting her father to love her. He didn't say that  she could come inn, he didn't hug her. He just stood. Fresh tears covered her cheeks.
"D-daddy-"
"Don't call me that." His voice harsh and unfeeling.
"D-dad-" It was a whimpering sound...
"I said don't call me that. I am not your father, your are not my daughter." Cali's heart broke. Every fiber of her being ripped, she was beyond hurt. She backed up a few steps and didn't even think. She stared obliviously. One memory, on thing did play in her head. It was the day her dad...James took her to the park.
~
They played and laughed. Then worn out they laid on the grass. She looked at James...James....not dad, but James and asked a serious question.
"Daddy?"
"What sweetheart?"
"Do you love me?" Her honest five year old voice sounded hallow and empty at this moment.
"I do love you, I will always love no matter what." Doesn't he remember?! Doesn't he?!! Cali came back to the present and her voice came back to her.
~
"Daddy! Daddy don't you remember? Remember when you said no matter what? Daddy!" Her voice was ragged sobs. Cali was hugging herself, holding herself together. In reply her father just shut the door, leaving Cali in the drowning night.
Cali sat on her porch with what little energy she had and slowly after what seemed like hours she began to able to think.
"I can't go to Robin, he is at home, with his family..." The words were like swords that had been held over a fire that stabbed into her. Somehow though, Cali managed.
"I could runaway, I wouldn't get far. I have nothing. Maybe I could sneak in the house and get supplies. The family would be asleep by now. Its ten, so yeah everyone should be in bed..." Cali stood quietly as she could and with new resolution in her heart began to make a mental list.
"I hear Montana is taking runaway girls..." Cali swiftly turned to see her mother. Instinctively she backed up, fear the same words her father had said would come from her mother's mouth.
"Cali come and sit by me." Her mother walked to the edge and sat where Cali has been. Hesitating she took a seat next to her mother. Cali felt like a statue, stiffer than granite. What was going to happen. Then something odd happened. Her mother put her arm around her shoulders. This may not be odd to most people, but Cali's family was not a touchy feel-y kind of family. So when her mother touched her Cali winced just a little.
"W-won't dad-...I mean James be upset with you?" HEr voice cracked at every word and her throat seared from all the sobbing she had done.
"Honey I don't care what your father thinks of me now, but I'm your mother and I love you." After that statement Cali began to cry again, she and her mother had never been that close, she was a daddy's girl. Cali wrapped her arms around her mother's petite figure and held on for dear life. She never wanted to let go. She feel asleep holding on to her mother...

Monday
Cali awoke in the guest bed room. She looked around trying to remember what had happened. Then she heard her father's voice. The searing words had resurfaced from her boggled mind and forced Cali awake. Clothes had been laid out for her, her mother most likely and she could smell breakfast from here. Would she be allowed to eat at the table? Would she banned from family gatherings? Cali tried to listen to what her father was saying but he must have been in the kitchen because his booming voice was not audible. She opened the door as quietly as she could and tip toed her way to the kitchen. All conversation stopped. Her two parents stared her. She stared back, again Cali became like granite stiff and unmoving. Her mother was the first one to break the silence by preparing a plate for Cali. She handed the bright orange plate to her and poured juice. Her father would not stop staring down her and as soon as she got her juice Cali went to sit on the porch and eat. No one followed, no one protested. The air was thicker and her food was heavy on her stomach. Cali ate slower than a turtle chewing on cardboard. Finally half way through she spotted something, or rather someone. It was Robin! She put down her half finished plate and followed her odd, new friend. Curious why he was up at six in the morning. He was walking with a fishing pole and a bucket. There was something off though....Cali could tell it from here. Robin had a great big shiner on his face! It was NOT there yesterday. Cali marched up to Robin worried and angry.
"Hey!" Came her voice in a demanding way. It made Robin stop, he didn't face her.
"Turn around!" Cali's voice didn't rise but it defiantly had a commanding tone to it.
"No." Came his voice sullied and broken.  Cali waited for him to do it anyway, but he did nothing.
"Robin! You promised! You said you'd tell everything and this is oblivious something!" Cali was hurt, did he not trust her to tell how he got a bruise.
"Its nothing worth telling." His voice oh so different than Sunday. When it was bright and thoughtful. This...this was dark and it scared Cali.
"R-robin..." Finally he turned around. Cali's eyes widened in horror.
"What happened?!"
"N-nothing!"
"You can't say nothing when you have a black eye!"
Robin hesitated "W-we were out of food this morning so my mom said fish sounded good then she sent to go-"
"I'm not asking about the fishing pole Robin!" Cali was in a yelling sort of way and was becoming frustrated.
"W-why...Why would you even care? What makes me important to care about?" Cali stopped before she replied. Why did she care so much? Robin was to her a stranger, but yesterday they made a promise and became friends. He listened to her useless babble not it was his turn to spill out the life story.
"We made a promise yesterday! We became friends. I won't abandon that promise! I won't!" Robin stared at her and she looked at his bruised face. Cali took Robin free hand and led him to the garage in the back yard.
"Why are you taking me here?" Came his voice, still a bit dark and unhappy. Cali didn't answer put she opened the fridge and took out a a baggie full of ice.
"My father is clumsier than you might think. So we keep ice baggies handy. You will need two." Cali grabbed another and held it on his eye.
"Now while I hold this on your eye explain why you have it in the first place." Robin didn't speak and Cali, for once, was patient. Finally his solemn voice came and echoed in the large garage.
"M-my dad....When I was ten he was in a bad car accident.....He was taking me to hokey practice...He didn't make it. I barley did. In the end my mother....She never really recovered. She blames me, she rightfully blames me. This is what happens when it all becomes too much. She take it out on me." Cali held tight on the ice bag as tears rushed to her eyes. She tried blink them away but a few escaped. Robin lifted his hand and held the wrist that was holding the ice pack up. He looked straight into Cali's tearful eyes.
"Its okay if you hate me."
How could she hate him? The simpleton had done more for her in the few hours she had known him than anyone has EVER done for her in her life.
"Don't be stupid, I could never hate you. I just couldn't." Robin stared at her, seemingly searching for the lie in her words. He sighed and dropped his hand from her wrist. Cali smiled knowing she had won this battle. Now it was time to digest this latest information. His mother beat him. Simple as that, how could Cali help? She could tell the cops or her parents, but what if Robin wanted to keep his mom, even though she did what she did? Cali bit her bottom lip worried. What if it happens again? She didn't want Robin to get hurt.
"Hey Cali...." Robin said his voice almost whispering. "I was wondering....are you...Are you going to tell?" His voice seemed to get smaller with each word and Cali looked away from his honest eyes unsure.
"Do you want me to?" she said.
"Please don't" Cali wasn't sure if she could keep this promise.

Wednesday
Cali felt stiff and every muscle ached. She hadn't slept a wink. It what was Robin said and it is also how they said goodbye. It was so...unfamiliar. To her Robin seemed like someone who needed a hero, but was strong enough to stand on his own. The only reason he needs a hero, even though he is standing, is because he is sinking. Cali shook her tired head, that didn't make sense. It had to be around five again today....Had Robin gotten hurt again? Why would he want to stay with his mother? What was she missing?! Cali stood and stretched hoping to wake a little and clear her jumbled thoughts. Cali stopped, an idea popped into her sleepy head. The only place, for some reason, she could really freely think was Robins "Tree of thought"! Maybe she could go there and think it out. No one to bug her and no one to criticize her.....Or maybe....maybe Robin would get mad. It is his back yard... Wouldn't that be trespassing? Cali wrote a note on the table about riding her bike to the antique shop after she got dress and left in hurry. Quietly as she could Cali got her bike out and rode past the church to where she first met Robin. There in the tree was something that scared and amazed Cali.
Up the tree, the tree where her little "adventure" started there was Robin with girl. She had the longest smoothest brown hair Cali had ever see and her delicate form made her seem...unreal and precious.  They were sleeping, Robin and this girl. She couldn't be more than eight. Did Robin have a little sister? Wait! That is why he didn't want her to tell! If the authorities got involved he could loose his sister! It made perfect sense now!. Cali parked her bike and climbed in the tree. It had been cool last night and all the girl had on was a summer dress with robin's jacket. It was a good way to get sick. The girl turned her head and her eyes fluttered. Yes she was Robin's sister, she had the same big green eyes. The little girl's eyes were open all the way and she smiled when saw Cali.
"Are the angel that took daddy? Are you coming for Robby and me too? I want to see heaven, but I won't go with out Robby." Cali stared, swearing her heart twisted. The voice was just so small and innocent! Then Robin woke up.
The sweet girl turned to "Robby" smiling a toothy smile, here front tooth was missing. "Robby, we get to see daddy!" Robin stiffened and sat up, holding tightly to the girl so she wouldn't fall. "Shush Katie." He looked over still half asleep. Upon seeing Cali light of realization lit up his green eyes which were dull this morning. "She isn't an angel, shes....shes Cali, a friend." The little girl turned back to Cali and Cali smiled at her. Wanting to make a good impression. "You love my brother then! No gir-" The rest was muffled words because Robin quickly put his callused hand over the small mouth. "Katie, she is a FRIEND. Now, Cali this is Katie....My...my little sister" Robin said releasing the small mouth of the child. "Because no girl ever comes, no boys for that fact Ro-" Again gentle as he could Robin covered the jabber jaw. "Very nice to meet you. Robin I have something to give you and your sister. Can you come with me?" Cali said in odd way. Raising his eyebrows Robin agreed and jumped off the tree branch after handing Cali little Katie. "Where are we going?" said Katie curiously "To my house." said Cali worried of Robin's reaction but he stayed quiet. "Why?" Katie said even more excited now. "I have a surprise.” Cali looked at Robin. He seemed uneasy. "Oh really?!?! What is it? Is it a puppy? Or candy?!!?” Robin says I shouldn't take candy from strangers. He also says that I shouldn't talk to them. He talks about this one stranger though. I like the way he talks about him. He calls the stranger Go.d." Cali stopped. Trying to process that last one. He talks about Go.d.....He tells his little sister about God....Robin was believer. If she had told him all of what she felt about religion and he hadn't said anything. Cali became confused and thought swallowed her. "Cali why did we stop?" Katie said looking at Cali with those two big eyes. "N-no reason....no reason...we are almost there c'mon, I promise you'll like it." Cali said trying to fake cheerful she failed. Finally they reached the house and after she out up the bike Cali unlocked the door and let Katie in. Robin would not go in. Cali turned to see him waiting out by the door. PRessing her lips together she left KAtie to find the toy room. "Are you mad?" came his level headed voice "Not mad...just confused. are YOU mad at me?" Cali said worried. "No God is a person's choice, its about what their heart wants. You can't force it on a person,, it won't work." Cali nodded, she knew that much. It wasn't like she had stop believing that there WAS a God, she just stopped believing in her parent's God. Why did Robin still trust in this God even after everything had happened to him? That was still happening to him? "Lets go inside, your sister is waiting." Cali said trying to brighten the mood. Still failing.

"KAtie C'mon you should've asked before ya' played. Silly girl" Cali smiled and sat beside her new friend.
"This used to be my toy room, I liked it very much. i used to play with my brother....." Her voice grew quieter with each new word and she looked sadly at a plastic pony.
"I told you two I have presents didn't I?" Cali stood smiling taking KAtie by the hand. She led her out the door and into the hall. The next door on the left led to a blue room. It was completely empty except for a large closet. Cali led Katie to the closet and opened the doors. She revealed an endless amount of clothes of all sizes. Some seemed like toddler outfits others seemed like Cali had worn then just last year. They were ordered by size, small to large. Pointing Cali said matter of fact-lye
"There should be your size Katie." Smiling Katie grew excited and began looking at every outfit. Her already wide smile growing with every new shirt.
"You don't have to do this." RObin said, seeming even more humble the usual.
"Exactly" Cali said sharply. "I want to do it. Don't think I forgot about you now. We'll wait till your sister was done. Katie had picked at at least ten full outfits. She was beaming brighter than a noon time sun in the middle of an indian summer.
"Follow me!" Said Cali in a happy, superior like way, but not snobbish. The end of the hall had a door and this door led to a room painted black. This one had a bed and small desk pushed to the dark wall. Again opening a closet Cali revealed clothes that were all the same size, Robin's size or close to it. Cali's eyes had grown misty but she talked normally.
"...We've had these for a while now. Take any, take all. My parents won't notice, but they are sleeping...." She trailed off, still smiling brightly she waited for Robin to take something, anything a jacket maybe. Robin just stood awkwardly.
"Robin?" She said in a sad curious way.
"I...Don't need the charity...Thank you for the clothes for Katie.”
"I'm glad she likes them and you'll like these too! Just pick some, I don't care." Cali said annoyed.
"No Cali its fine, I don't want this, I don't need it I'm okay." He replied stubbornly.
"Its not out of pity Robin. I want to do this because we are friends." She said trying to keep her voice quite.
"I'll keep that in mind, but I don't the clothes just keep them." Robin's pride was starting to peek out Cali was becoming more upset than annoyed.
"Stupid stubborn boys! Here! Just take the darn jacket!" Cali threw it into his arms hanger and all. Her voice an angry whisper.
"Fine." He said grumpily slipping the "gift" off the hanger and putting it on. It was tad big but looked good on him all the same. "Happy?"
"Yes" Cali said smiling triumphantly. She turned to Katie who had come into the room to showcase her outfits. She had picked out a long sleeve pink dress with matching leggings and black shoes.
"Katie I'll help you change then we will get something to eat oaky?" Cali said cooing over the little girl like a mother. Cali turned back at Robin smiling brighter than had in a while. Being around these two...It just made her feel glad.
So after dressing energetic Katie Cali led them out the door, doing her best to keep quite. She didn't bother with her bike, they would all be walking. If a person saw this town she lived in, they would think they had been teleported back in time. It was small enough to get by without a car really and every dinner, movie theater or store looked like it came from the 1950s. Cali thought it was nice just to be able to do whatever and not worry. Most people felt constricted, like this was a cage. Maybe it was....Like she knew. What did she know? Apparently nothing, due to the new information about Robin. He was believer, the astounded her. After everything he had been through, is going through...She couldn't do that. She won't do that, it isn't right. why, if there is a merciful God would he let pain and suffering continue. Make it to where people HAVE to die and become sick with things like cancer. It seemed like common sense that God didn't make sense. Or did he? For most people he was hope for a better life. Besides her parents Cali had never known a christian to be especially BAD. Maybe thats what she didn't like, how constricted you were. How people thought the town was a cage, religion was one too. They had finally got to the twenty-four hour dinner. They sat and waited for the menus. Cali smiled at the wiggling Katie and winked at Robin.
"This is my first time here!" Yipped Katie.
"RObin cooks for us, we don't ever eat out." Her voice rang through the empty dinner like the first bird up in the morning to sing its song.
"This place is my favorite, I used to come here all the time with..." Her sentence trailed off and her smile faded a little.
"Anyway the breakfast here is really good. Robin what are you getting?" Cali asked when the tired looking waiter came with two big  menus and one kids menu with crayons. His eyes scanned over the menu for a bit then Cali saw those eyes of his light up. He tried to hide the smile which went as quickly as it had came.
"What?" Katie was reading her menu thoughtfully and paid no attention.
"N-nothing they...they have french toast then?" Cali smiled, it must be his favorite.
"Yes they do! Katie, know what you want?" The little girl looked up smiling brightly.
"I want the pancakes like Robby makes, in the shape of a horsey and a dog and a-" Robin looked at Katie sharply then gently he said "They don't have those here KAtie, why not try something new?" Katie instantly frowned and began to pout.
"I don't want anything new!" Cali smiled and took the girl on her lap.
"How about this, I'll get something really yummy and we can share. If you don't like it we can get something else for you." Katie still looked pouty but mumbled with the faintest smile "Okay". Smiling Cali helped color the menu with her as Robin watched. Now he was jealous, no he was just...dazed. His sister was actually very shy and didn't like new people, but she had taken right to Cali. Another thing, whose jacket was he wearing? Obviously not Bali’s. An older brother maybe. The biggest thing on his mind though was how the waiter kept looking at Cali. He wasn't jealous type, but for whatever reason it just kind of poked at his nerves when the guy eyed Cali. He had no right though, she barley knew him and he barley knew her. Their fast friendship amazed Robin. He had always been more...awkward. A small smile spread on his lips. He was okay with it. She seemed like a good person, he too had instantly trusted her. Maybe thats what God gave her, the gift trust. To bad she didn't realize it...He sighed thinking how much Cali could help him with his own plans...He love to have the chance to do them with her, but she'd never agree. Cali looked up blue eyes smiling as Katie explained why the cowboy was green and not yellow. For once everything was at peace.
It five thirty when Cali finally made it home and she had expected her parents to be asleep, but she was wrong.
"Cali." Said her ex-father, at least he speaking to her. She replied without thinking
"Yes?"
"Where were you?" Cali stopped from taking off her shoe. Of course he had realized she had been out! She was going to be so much trouble it wasn't even funny! Wait...He disowned her, he cant punish her. He didn't even claim her anymore, that means he can't win this argument like he normally did.
"What does it matter?" She said mouthy as possible.
"Because I am your-" He stopped...He couldn't say it. Of course he couldn't, he had forgotten, or at least acted like he had forgotten.
"Because....you'll worry your mother..."He said, in odd way Cali wasn't used to. She ignored his last statement and went into the kitchen where he sat at the table reading the newspaper. His coffee was still steaming from the brown mug she made him so long ago, it seemed like a different life. He looked up, his piercing eyes looking into her tainted soul. Cali tried to be unfazed and look him in the eyes which still held her soul. She couldn't, she didn't know why, but she just couldn't look her father in the eye. It made her feel a little sad. Turning Cali stated "I_I...I'm going to hang out with a friend today....Tell mom for me..." Cali grabbed a jacket and slipped on the shoes she had just taken off. She rushed without waiting for his reply.
 She lied, she would be sitting at a bridge just down the road. Robin said he and KAtie needed to do something, but Cali couldn't remember what. After a tad bit of walking Cali had reached the center of the bridge. Underneath the lazy river lolled in the summer heat which was beginning to invade the morning's cool. Now with all that had happened Cali could think opened minded. robin, still had faith. After all he had been through. Even after his mother beat him he still loved the God who has so seemingly forgotten him. Or had God forgot him? What if God was the only thing keeping him alive? Cali shook her head. IT confusing, after all those years of slowly loosing her faith that she could ever go back. Go back to the chains of having to this or that to make a God happy....She couldn’t do it. Not after what happened to her brother....Cali shook her head, sometimes she confused herself, or life confused her and it made her feel stupid and lost. This was one of those times.
Robin listened to his little sister read the simple words from a ratted book from the public library. He thought of how ashamed he should be that she didn't have a real education and how risky it was for her NOT to be in school because of child services. He also thought about Cali. How hard her life must be without God. If Robin didn't have his father he knew where he would be, he'd be dead so would his sister. Cali needed to put things in to perspective...Somehow....Closing his eyes to think better Robin made a mental list of things that needed to be handled. School for KAtie, God for Cali, and he needed to through the drawers again. He needed to clean whole house again. somehow his mother got a hold of the bottle and he knew there had to stashes around the house.
"Robin! I'm done now! Did I do good?!" Katie asked in her happy, care free way. He opened his eyes and looked at his little sister, she came first, she would always come first. She needed to go to school. that means Robin would have to drop out...
"You did fine my girl. Come here sit on my lap, lets take a break then we will do math..." He lifted his sister up, she was light, in a scary way. Its from not eating enough. Robin needed to get a job, he needed to get out of this slump and worry about what was most important, the church. Katie was situated on his lap and she closed her eyes imitating her big brother. It made him smile, whatever she did made him smile. His little sister deserved the best and he could never give that to her. HE was being selfish be keeping her from the services. IF they took her then she could find a good home, a place with two parents and where she could go to a real school. Robin sighed heavily, it felt like the whole world was resting on his shoulders. He looked to the sky and thought, not to himself but to God
"Please help me and KAtie..." Just then a cool breeze blew and made Robin look down at Katie, she was napping.
    Now there was Cali...Cali was a fast friend, really his first friend. He felt so awkward, like slipping into a pair of shoes that weren't his. Then he dumped his weight onto her shoulders...What did she think of him? What did he think of her? She made him nervous and happy at the same time. He could do nothing but worry about her troubles. He just wanted to take anything that hurt her and put it on his shoulders. Robin shook his hair. He loosing control too quickly... Katie turned to her side curling into a ball on Robin's chest. Where would they sleep tonight? Would their mother be at a bar? Or at home on another drunken rage? It had gotten worse, over time...She just...broke one day, not it was bars every night, two, three, even five beers in hour...They couldn't go home...Where could they sleep? Cali's... she did have an extra room...No he couldn't ask that. His little sister mumbled something in her sleep and Robin pulled a piece of her hair back behind her small ear. She was so small, fragile. Too fragile for a life like this...She didn't deserve any of this...They needed a home, a family. Robin lifted his sister and in a tricky way managed to get out of the tree. With Katie on his back he picked up all the school stuff and began to walk. He needed  movement, he couldn't become depressed.
   She looked at the old yearbook picture, tears streaming down her face from old memories circling in her mind like crocodiles. They preyed upon her mistakes and for this moment, her new life was shattered. If she could have a redo, of these high school years...A redo with her daughter. Macy looked over at the picture that was facing down on the vanity set that was her grandmother's. On it was picture of her, her husband and her daughter. Her daughter hated her and her husband wouldn't speak to her. She sat up straight run her cheeks and her eyes. She got up from the tissue covered bed, she can do what she never did in high school, she can try. Pulling back her tangled mass of black hair Macy threw on a jacket and went out the door in to thick summer air. She didn't like the sun, made her skin itch for whatever reason. Macy walked down the road, looking around her fifty styled town with a smile. She loved it, how quiet it was and peaceful. She thought about how perfect it was...Its weird, how if you scratch the surface of perfect you find all the faults, like white wash over a shattered spectrum of colors, beautifully daunting. Macy shook her head walking to the place where she thought best, the bridge. On the way to the bridge where the little creek ran lazily lapping over the smooth stones there was a quiet little park. Her daughter used to play on the swings when she was little, she'd go over there with her older brother. She'd "fly" on the swings and he'd push her...That was before every sunny day became clouded...Macy looked over, she stopped and stared. Their was an older boy with a little girl, together on the swings. It gave her the most odd feeling of devourer. She looked and the boys plain looks and how homely he was compared to the little girl, who was laughing carefree and happy. Macy walked to the park quietly, trying to be like a shadow, unseen. It wasn't hard for her. The boy was her daughters age. He looked at her and smiled. Macy stopped melting into the big forest green eyes. She managed a smile back then the little girl saw her. It small voice there came the words
"RObby shes been crying!" the brother, what Macy was assuming was the brother, stopped the swing and gave a stern look and whispered a few curt word in the girl's ear, who stuck her tongue out and went off to the slide.
"I'm sorry about that." said the boy as he walked to Macy He was tall and lean, Macy who was the around the same height as her daughter felt rather short when he had finally made it to her.
"ITs fine, children will be children..." Came her cracked voice, she was such an easier crier...The boy tilted his head curiously. He had such a profoundly thoughtful look about him. He looked like wiser twenty-five year old rather than a young fifteen year old.
"Don't be sad" He said slowly his voice mesmerizing, her daughter would fall in love with this boy Macy was sure of it. "There cant be a reason to cry when God loves you." These words echoed in Macy's mind and reverted into her heart. God loves me! She thought over and over. I love him! THe young boy was right she shouldn't be crying. She needed to go talk to her daughter! The boy's leanness was not from exercise he needed food Macy could tell that much.
"Thank you for reminding me of that...You...you should come to my house for dinner on Sunday night. You can meet my daughter. She is your age. Ask your parents first, you can bring your sister. Thank you, you have helped me more than you know. Here..." Macy took a pen from her jacket pocket, she kept one around, always prepared. Writing on his hand Macy felt silly.
"Thats the address, please do come, bring your parents....I am Macy by the way."
Robin looked at the sad women, over trusting and with that black hair...It couldn't be...NAh thought Robin, a coincidence.
"Thank you ma'am, I will ask my mother. I don't know if she'll be able to make it though...Are sure I'm not imposing on you and your family?"
"No no! If you were the I wouldn't have asked. See you on Sunday then!" the woman said and she was off, just as suddenly as she had appeared. Robin smiled, at least he could help someone else with their problems.
Macy hurried to where her daughter had to be. She needed to apologize to her sweet child for not being there when it was obvious that she needed a mother. Finally Macy arrived to the bridge. She was right, her daughter stood hunched over the gray concrete sides. Macy run to her child and embraced her.
     Cali was stiff there was a sniffling blob squeezing her. In its embrace the hot day became sweltering. Pulling back Cali looked into the face of the blob and found it was her mother, teary eyed and red cheeked.
"Mom? Whats wrong?" Cali asked worried, her mother could be rather ditzy.
"Honey, I want to say sorry. For all those timesI wasn't there." Cali was taken aback.
"What do you mean mom?"
"I know its hard right now, questioning God and if he is real..."
"What would know about it?" Cali retorted tired of the subject.
"I went through the same thing." Now Cali was really stunned, then her mother launched into the story of how she turned from her family and became a Wicca. Cali was so shocked she could just listen and stare. Then came the part about meeting dad...Cali, at the end of the story was quite amazed. So her mother didn't blindly follow the bible......
"Th-then...What really made you believe in God?" Cali said curious.
"The fact he'd love me no matter what, he'd never leave my side and he will always listen. Cali remember that." Cali nodded, the two began walking home. Cali deep and thought suddenly remembered what Friday brought.
"The mission trip!" She said breaking the silence
"No worries, you aren't being forced to go...I talked your father into canceling in I even-" Cali was breaking down...She had no right to stop them from going on this trip.
"I want you to go."
"What?" said Macy incredulously.
"I want you to go. I can stay with Uncle Harry, you always talk about how lonely he gets. It could work, plus you dad could get alone time." Macy looked at daughter, when had she grown up? Had it always been that way and she had just missed it somehow?
"I...I suppose I'd be okay with that...We'd have to ask Harry and your father..." Cali smiled. This could go well, very well in fact.
"I did have a dinner date, but I suppose I could move it up....You go on a head honey I'll be home."
"O-okay mom...se ya then." With that Cali tromped off in her own little world not paying  a bit of attention around her.
Macy watched her daughter for a minuet and then went back to the park. Embarrassed she approached the boy again. Just like before he titled his head to the side, curious.
"I'm so sorry, but can you come for the dinner tomorrow?" Robin smiled and nodded. Macy returned his small smile with her big one and went off. Happier than she had been for a while....Kind of. She went into her house to tell her husband  about the good news, and their dinner guest.
~
"Let her call you father, dad, daddy!"
"No." Macy looked grumpily at her husband stubborn as an ass. Cali was sitting in a chair watching the fight take place.
"Why?"
"She lost her faith, she lost her heavenly father so she lost her earthly father too." James said sternly. He looked at his wife who looked angry then, from the corner of his eye, her looked his daughter whose face was completely blank except for one tear rolling down her pale cheek. He turned back to his wife.
"This conversation is over. I have a meeting, I need to go. Get packed. Get ready for the trip have your daughter help you."
"James..."
"I love you honey, be safe, see you when I get home."
The rest of night was quiet, Cali and her mom didn't talk much as they packed, for Macy and Cali both. Soon, worn out from the long day went to bed. She kissed her mother good night and quickly she fell asleep.
Her dreams were much more eventful, they seemed more like memories though, mixed with the present....She saw a blank face with brown hair covering it, it was surround by people in black, The face had a body of a small boy. The boy was holding a baby. Around the boy and the baby people were crying, sobbing. Some were silent and their skin looked of ash. Cali was the same age she was now, but she wore a blood red dress and held a brass cross. She went to the coffin which held the deceased. She the face of a young adult. His black hair fell in waves around his skin. The clothes which he wore did not suit him. They were starch white and black. He needed a green or something. Then all of a sudden the dead man's eyes opened. At once Cali knew who he was. She dropped the cross and backed away. The dreamed ended and the rest of the night her mind stayed blank.

Thursday
Robin put in the quarters and pressed the correct buttons for the wash. He had went home and cleaned the house. The mother had been out at a bar, she hadn't come home. Katie had went home and slept on the couch. Robin worked all night and scrubbed the entire house down. He had found thirty-two empty bottles, fifteen half bottle, and at least twelve full unopened bottles. HE was washing everything now. While cleaning he had found mother's bar stash, enough for groceries for a week and plenty for all the dirty clothes, sheets, and comforters. He looked around. How lucky were people who had their own washer and dryer at home. Oh well. He looked the ceiling smiling. This week they would be able to eat, this week they would have clean clothes. This gave him more time to worry about finding a job. HE went and sat in one of the metal chairs. KAtie was playing in a corner made for the little kids. She was laughing smiling, that was so good for Robin to see. It seemed her smiles were getting even more rare. He sighed....picking up one the free newspapers he found the classifieds and began to read.
~
Cali woke up and stretched, it was the first morning she had slept in, it was nice. The summer sun streamed into the guest bedroom window. The streams of light highlighted the dust particles that were kicked up from A/C starting. She smiled. It was so quiet and calm, a few birds twittered and car passed by. A lazy Thursday, it had a nice ring to it. Cali got up from her bed and went into the kitchen. She found a cereal and poured herself a bowl. Going into the living room Cali plopped down on the couch and flipped on the TV.
~
Macy had been up since four this morning, it was her only shift for the week. She sat waiting for anything to happen, nothing did. Then she went to the cooking section of her work place and found a few magazines. She worked at a twenty-four-seven library. Planning the meal was the funnest part of her slow going shift. It helped to distract her from her family that was falling apart, it helped to keep her mind off the fact her husband had disowned their only child. It kept her thoughts from wandering to the date of next week's Thursday...
~
James followed his everyday schedule, waking up at seven, eating and leaving for his second job. His second job was working at the laundry mat. It was rather dry, but at least he got to people watch. The most interesting people he saw this fine morning was a boy with his sister. The boy seemed Cali's age, but acted twice it. He sighed wished Cali were more like this boy...Then he thought about the upcoming dinner with one of Macy's new friends....It was going to be a long day.
By now it was four-thirty and Macy was at the store shopping for tonight's dinner.  Today had been rather dry at work and watching others at the store, scurry and hustle to quickly escape the clutches of bright red workers trying to sell the plain pink meat or shiny, colorful fruit. She, however, enjoyed the time great. At home it was dark and melancholy, here every spectrum of color invaded your sight and people bombarded you, bumping carts and elbows. There she could talk and socialize with whoever she pleased. Macy smiled. as she took her time shopping, the highlight of her day.
~
It was five when Cali decided getting dress was probably wise. She went into her room and opened her closet door. Her closet wasn't large but it wasn't small either. Cali enjoyed look nice but could live with second hand. Running her fingers along the many fabrics she came to the end of the walk in closet that was narrow and long. This is where most of her nice clothes were placed, hung and pressed. She felt like being dressy, after all mother was having one of her guest over. Cali picked out a bright sundress with ruffles in all the right spots. It was a creamy yellow and it brought out her eyes. She smiled. Tonight might actually be nice with her family. Then she wondered about the guest.
~
James was packing up after a day's work. Hum drum as normal, he smiled. At least tonight he'd get a home cooked meal.
IT would be their first sit down meal after Cali's announcement. Why...Why was it that she abandon her God? The God who was the only true comforter of her mother and the God which saved him from the edge of the bluff so many years ago...The God whom her brother loved so dearly. What had blinded his daughter so she could not see her heavenly father's love. JAmes shook his head and left the laundry mat, ready to get home.
~
He had never really had much of a sit down meal at home, much less as a guest...Robin sighed as he picked out a pair of his best jeans. The were a faded black and well worn. Luckily he had just washed his white button up that used to be his dad's one of the only shirts left. His mother had burnt them all....He was ready, now it was Katie's turn. She had picked out a nice pink sun dress, it was plain, but the color suited her. He hollered for her to get dressed. It was five thirty, almost time to leave. He breathed deeply. Good thing mother hadn't been home, his latest bruises have just healed. It'll help avoid questions. Katie came down, smiling and bubbly. She loved her new clothes. He needed to thank Cali somehow...
"I'm ready Robby!" He took her hand and went out the door, glad one of them was.
~
Macy smiled brightly dinner was next to done, Cali was dressed as was her husband and the table looked grand. Now she had to dress herself and wait for her guest to arrive. Quickly she threw on a red polka dot dress and brushed through her shinning black hair. Just as she finished the door bell rang. So, it was finally time....
Robin was greeted at the door by the woman who had invited him here.
"Evening Ma'am" He said politely as she invited him in. He looked around the familiar house. Of course! How could he have not remembered this before?!That was Cali's mom and he was eating dinner with her family. Suddenly he felt much more nervous. He could feel his palms sweating...Had Cali talk to them about him? Did they even know who he was? Then he saw a man who had to be the father. He was tall and well built. He had Cali's eyes, but his wispy hair seemed to be a pale blonde.
"Good evening sir." The man held out his hand and Robin took it. Trying his best to have a firm grip.
"Are you my wife's dinner guest?" He said, almost curious but in a gruff sort of way.
"I am sir, and my sister." Robin was getting more nervous by the minuet. This was not normal. He never got nervous while meeting new people. He then heard her voice. He was hoping he had on a completely different face than what he was feeling. Into the kitchen she entered from the hall. HE saw her and looked down, gulping for air. The dress suited her well/
"Ro-....M-mom,whose the guest?"
"His name is Robin. Do you know him?"
"An old school friend...." Cali lied as she took a seat. In her head she kept wondering what the hell. Its not that she didn't like Robin. She was simply surprised, shocked even.
"Have a seat Robin. Plenty of room. I'll help your sister." Cali hoped she was staring too much as Robin found a chair next to hers and across from where her father sat. This would be...interesting. Everyone was sitting and mother was serving the food. So Cali thought, the conversation begins.
"So Robin how did you come to meet my wife?" Robin smiled nervously at the preacher's question.
"She was lost and I helped her find her way." Macy smiled at the boy, he was smooth.
"Sounds like her. ha ha, not a bit of direction in her."
"Honey! I'm not that bad....."
"I suppose not....So, do you have a job Robin?" Cali was already annoyed. Why was her father interrogating Robin.
"No sir but I've been looking. Never hurts to have a bit of pocket money."
"No, no it doesn't" James said somewhat amazed. This boy, the one he had seen at the laundry mat...he was really quite mature.
"Okay lets pray-" started mother. Cali froze, everyone did. That is except for Robin. He was adding a spoonful of Patagonia to his plate.
"Sir,Ma'am if its okay may my sister pray?" RObin said, in  a quite, homely way. The husband and wife looked at him then to Cali, waiting. Almost holding their breath. They didn't know he knew and we're ashamed.
"I don't mind" Cali said simply.
"Go on Katie. Pray the prayer you say at home." Katie smiled excitedly and folded her hands, closing her big doe eyes and bowing her small head.
"Dear Lord, my father who I love, Thank you for let me live another day. Dear Lord, my father who I adore, thank you for filling my belly ample a plenty. My Lord, I know some have it hard and others have it worse, I pray for them and thank you for what you have given us. Amen" These words from the lips of a seven year old touched everyone at that table. Even Cali who had forgotten what it was like to pray, to think of others. The all said amen and lifted their heads. Cali felt her cheek it was wet. Quickly she wiped away the small tears and hid a hand under the table.
Robin looked at Cali and smiled he put his hand under the table and grabbed hers. Trying to be comforting. Cali, taking it wrong though, quickly pulled away and began to eat. Mostly they were silent while eating. A few comments on how good tasted here and there, but that was all. Cali chewed slowly prolonging the end of the meal Thats when conversation would start again.
Soon all had finished, even Cali had ate incredibly slow. Abnormal for her, normally she ate as fast as she could, mainly to evade her family, but now everyone had finished stuffing their mouths with food and were ready to stuff them with words. Cali shuddered, she didn't really feel like making small talk with the only person she could talk to on a higher level.
"Cali, why are you being so rude?" Came the scarring voice of her father, whom Cali was really close to despising right now.
"James!"
"What honey? Shes barley said a word to our guest....
"Don't sweat it robin she is just shy...." Commented Macy who then went back to dishes. Robin smiled, it seemed oddly fake to Cali, but then again Robin didn't seem like the guy who'd give a fake smile.
"Its fine sir. Were all a bit shy at times right?"
"True, true....Say Robin, are you religious?"
"Yes sir."
"What religion?" Cali wanted to yell at her father. What did it matter?! What did it matter what God he prayed to! HE'd still be the same person, with the same smile! Right? robin would still be Robin, and she will still be her....Right???? Cali thought back to her mother's story, how greatly he mother had changed. How greatly she had changed for the good.....Cali looked her hands not wanting face anyone.
"I am a christian sir." For some reason those word stung Cali a little. She didn't look up.
"Thats good to hear! Why not come to church sometime?" this is when Robin stood, politely, but with a stiffness for anger. He looked down and wiped of his shirt when he looked up Cali did to. In his eyes there was pure anger, it scared Cali. It scared her a lot, but Robin's voice was so suave and normal she doubted her father picked up on it.
"My sister Katie is falling asleep sir. I think its time to take my leave." It was true little Katie had ate half her plate and was now snoring lightly with her head on the table.
"Thank you Ma'am and sir. The meal was lovely as was your home. Good-bye Cali." He looked her directly in the eyes as he said this, he had been picking up Katie while addressing her parents, but he had looked her straight in her blue eyes when he said good bye. Anger wasn't, but no it was pity. This also hurt Cali. Of all the things Cali had told Robin, never had pity came into his eyes, they had just been open, listening, observing. Cali stood abruptly and looked at her father.
"I-its dark outside. There are hardly any street lights. I'll get the flash light and walk them home." Her father raised his eyebrows and nodded. Cali was sure if Robin had said no to being a christian Robin would have been banned from the house instantly.
"Good bye Robin! Be safe Cali! Come straight home." Macy said, warningly.
"Yes mother!" Cali said quietly. Finally after digging around she found the long metal flash light and led Robin out the door. Why does so much happen at once? First its all peaceful and perfect then a hurricane come through and blows away all her happiness. Cali walked, the flash light beaming in front of her Robin humming behind her. It was tuneless and annoyed her.
"What was that?!" She finally asked after they had walked far enough away from the house.
"I know I did two wrongs." Cali stopped.
"What?"
"I did two things wrong. First I took your hand without your permission and second I didn’t control my anger." Cali shook her head. Why the he.ll was he so damn understanding.
"You forgot one."
"What?" Robin blinked, unsure.
"Why did you look at me like that? You...you looked like you felt sorry for me."
"Oh. That....I do feel sorry for you. That man doesn't even realize his mistake." Cali searched his face. Robin was on her side? She thought christian always had to side with other christians....
"What mistake?" She asked curiously in a quiet tone.
"He is a doctor who only visits the healthy."
"What does that mean?" Cali asked confused.
"In the Bible Jesus is asked many times why he talks to the whores, the selfish, and the sinners. He replied one time "the doctor does not heal the healthy". So whenever a man claims to be a christian yet he does not help those who need it.....It angers me." Cali had not stopped looking in Robin's big honest green eyes. She had heard every word and they, for once, resounded with her. For the first time, the words of God didn't sound completely stupid.
"I-i...I get that......" Robin smiled and shifted Katie on his back. he began humming again and walked ahead of Cali who followed after him lost in thoughts.
Just past half way there Cali had thought of another question, one that made her even more curious than the look.
"Why did you take my hand?" Robin instantly hid his face as Cali caught pace with long strides. Under his mopy brown hair she could see a bright redness, even in the darkness of the night it was evident.
"I-I.....I wanted to....I-i wanted to comfort you I guess...." Cali looked at Robin and broke out laughing hid face turned even more red and she explained breathlessly.
"I'm not laughing at you...per say its just....How sweet you are. It makes me happy. You've never once have made me feel unhappy until now and then in you own way made it completely okay. You always make it okay! Thats what makes me so happy I could laugh. Which I guess I did......" With this Robin looked at Cali and laughed. She began laughing too. Now they had arrived at Robin's door step. Cali smiled as he fumbled for the key. He slipped it out of his pocket then promptly dropped it. Cali picked it up so he wouldn't drop Katie and she began to unlock the door. Figuring it out she opened it. It was one of those in-doors, the kind that swing inwards. Cali was still smiling, but Robin's had faded.
Robin had lost some of his good cheer as he entered his dark home with Cali. Was she home? Was she on a binge? Was she in one of her moods. All over he was tense waiting for a drunken slob of a mother to enter from the kitchen, bottle in her hand. He felt like a fish in a barrel, Cali was with him which he hated.
"Cali, thank you, you can leave now."
"Aw....I wanted to look...."
"Cali...."
"I'll help put her to bed! Please?"
"Really? ...Fine...." Cali gently lifted Katie from Robins back and let him take the lead. When the reached Katie's room the little girl had woken from her nap.
"Hey sweetie."
"Where am I?" Came here voice so soft it was like new fallen snow, clean and sweet.
"Home." Came Robin's deeper voice that contrasted with his little's sisters greatly.
"I want a story." She said pouting. Robin felt a little shocked, she hadn't ever wanted a story before. It was somewhat a strange notion. He didn't have a knack for telling them.
"Okay!" Cali said cheerily. Hopefully she knew what story to tell, he was clueless.
"I want a princess one!" the child said half happy, half whiny.
"Hmmm. Okay here it goes." So Robin sat watched and listened to Cali's sweet little tale of how a princess ran away because her father was being mean. Then a thief saved the princess, who then later fell in love with him. The king let them marry because he admired the thief for his honor. Naturally they lived happily ever after. Robin wished to be the thief, knowing that a happy ending was his, nothing would change that. Who'd be the princess? He blushed, not really wanting to mention the obvious. It would be selfish for him to like her. Simple as that.
"Good night muuuuuu...." Not even finishing her sentence the little child dropped off into sleep. Cali turned smiling at Robin.
"I'm glad you can tell a story."
"Ha ha, it wasn't that good."
"Sure it was! Do you need me to walk you home?" Just then a car door slammed. It made Cali jump and Robin tense. The door creaked opened and they both froze. Cali didn't think, she didn't dare let out a frightened breath. Robin had instinctively grabbed her wrist, holding onto it protectively. She didn't pull away. They listened to they slow footstep that echoed in the too bare hall. Soon they had reached the door and a shadowed figure leaned in the doorway.
"Looks like mother is home." Robin said without emotion, his expression blank. Cali, though, could feel every muscle in him tense up.
"Hello son." came slurred words of Sal. She had always been Sal. Never Sally, never something pretty. She had the name of a pig, a selfish dirty, pig.
"Mother."
"Address me with more respect you worthless piece of crap." Cali tensed, this would not end well.
"Watch your mouth, you'll wake Katie."
"That little slut of a girl?"
"DON'T call her that."
"What are you going to stop me? Fight back? Beat your own mother?" Robin seemed so scared as he shielded Cali. This....This was not right. Robin may get angry, he can be understanding and happy, but he did NOT get scared.
"Just go to sleep mother."
"I will not! This is my house and I will sleep when I want!" The voice of Sal had grown angry and even more slurred, the drunk women acted more childish than Katie.
"Mother, don't wake Katie. Lets go to the living room."
"Don't sass me boy!" With those acid words she slapped Robin with a stinging sound that made Cali whimper. Thats when Sal finally noticed her.
"I see you have a new slut." Sal said mater of fact-lye. Cali didn't know how to respond.
"She mother, is NOT a SLUT. She is CALI and she is my FRIEND. YOU will treat her with nothing ELSE but REPECT."
"Oh really? Who is commanding who?"
"I will draw a line here. You may do whatever you like to me, but just like katie you may not say or do anything to her." His voice was so commanding, so authoritative it even made Sal pause in her drunken anger.
"Fine. My wretched son, go and take your sluts. I want you out by tomorrow. If you aren't out I will send Katie to the foster home."
"No problem! I'll leave tonight." Robin was angry again.
"No you won't! YOu won't ever leave! YOu need me! I'm the only who will ever love you!" During this Sal had began flailing her arms angrily at her son. Cali winced with ever sound of a fist hitting his skin. Katie shifted and made Cali worried, but the child was heavy sleeper. Sal had paused her flailing. To pick up a little vase that was on Katie's night side. Cali decided to intervene, she did know when she decided this, she just did. The vase hit her eye. She held in her cry the wanted to quickly escape her lips. Tears flooded her eyes as blood rushed down from where the vase had cut her. RObin took her shoulders after he had picked up Katie from he little bed. He pushed pass his frantic angry mother. Rushing out the door he gently laid Katie down against the outer wall and turned. To Katie who was dazed. He removed the shirt that was father's and exposed his bare skin to the sticky summer night. Balling up the shirt he pressed it to Cali's wounds, trying to stop the bleeding. He was trembling, still afraid the mother would come out and make a scene.
"Stop." Cali said trying to brush off his hand.
"No." He replied sternly.
"Its a good shirt don't ruin it." She complained softly.
"Cali, my only job tonight when that woman entered the house was to protect you and Katie. I failed and for this I am gravely sorry."
"Robin its okay."
"No Cali it isn't. I am being selfish, I didn't force you to leave like I should have, I wanted you to stay. I haven't put Katie into foster care because I didn't want to loose her too. This is all my fault."
"Thats what she wants you to believe! Robin I wanted stay and Katie doesn't want to go into foster care you know that!" Robin was till holding the shirt to her head as he leaned his forehead against her shoulder.
"Cali......" Cali took the shirt in her own hands, giving Robin a break.
"Robin......" there they sat, waiting for anything. Maybe for the mother to come, maybe for an angel to come and save them. Whatever it was it didn't come. Because Cali had fallen asleep leaning on Robin and he leaning on her. At some point Katie had woke up from a nightmare and came to lay on the other two. There all three slept until dawn......

Friday
He was the first one to wake up in the thick early morning. He winced as he looked around, trying to put back his memory. He looked at his arms, he saw the bruises and it all came back. The mother must have passed out because the rest of the night had been quite. Robin looked to her. Cali had her head on his lap. He felt himself blush a little. She was sound asleep. The blood from her cut was dry, that was good. That means she wasn't seriously hurt. He looked to his other side where Katie was softly snoring, still lost in her childish dreams. He smiled despite his anger and sadness. His little family had made it through, but he had to do better. He couldn't put Cali or Katie in danger again. He was finally going to do it, he was finally going to move out. Somehow, first he needed a plan....Cali shifted and touched one of Robin's many bruises. He twinged, everything hurt. He hurt physically, mother had hit his chest, his arms, maybe his cheek, she had even landed a punch on his thigh. He hurt emotionally, he had failed Cali and himself. Once again he just let himself be pushed around by mother. He let that monster control his life. He let her words become true, even though he didn't want to. He slowly began to believe her lies.....Robin took a deep breath. He had to move on. He needed a plan. This is the day his life was going to start. Where his hopes became reality. Wow, that sounded really corny.....Oh well, it was time to wake up Cali, her parents were probably freaking out right now. He moved his arm nudge her awake. Robin smiled, she seemed so at ease, like the weight of the world, her world had been lifted off her shoulders and she could finally relax and be herself. He hated to wake her.
Cali had the same dream again. She was wearing the same dress, and she saw the same boy. Something new happened though. As she backed up from the horrible coffin that held a person so close to her, instead of the dream ending this time something even scarier happened. She stepped into blackness, darkness tore apart the entire funereal scene and replaced her blood red dress with torn jeans and a stained t-shirt. She could feel her hair, it was ratted and greasy, like she hadn't washed or bathed for days. Cali began walking, not sure if she was actually moving. Soon though she heard footsteps, they were booming echoing footsteps. They made her dream-self crouch down and cover her ears they were so loud. Then they just stopped. Cali had closed her eyes trying to block out the strange dream, it didn't make a difference, there was blackness behind her eyelids too.....Now she opened them, wondering what kind of world she was in. There in front of her stood the strange little boy from the funereal scene. He was wearing different clothes too. He was crying and all Cali wanted to do was hug him, tell him it would be okay. She tried to move, to go towards him, but she couldn't. He was saying something she heard nothing, just his lips moving and then it all faded out.
"Cali...." Robin said, so softly a baby bird wouldn't have heard it.
"Cali..." Came his voice again, this time she fluttered her eyes. She was laying on her back and woke to realizing that she was using Robin's lap as a pillow. Quickly sitting and tensing up Cali was now wide awake.
"I see you bright eyed and bushy tailed." His voice was nonchalant, but his face was the same shade of pink as last night when Cali had asked about him taking her hand.
"I slept here last night?! Outside?!" Her voice was in a yelling whisper, for fear of waking the world with her surprise. She had slept with Robin, well by him....Still, she was dead meat for this! Cali winced remembering why she had slept here. She felt her forehead and found the dry, cracking blood where the vase had cut her.
"Are you okay? Are feeling light headed? Do you need to see a doctor?"
"Whats making me light headed is all your questions. Shush! give me moment." She had said that harsher than she wanted too, but still. she had a slight headache and needed time to process what had happened last night.
"Sorry...." Robin said guiltily.
Cali sighed heavily and the look in her eyes told him that all the weight had been put back onto her shoulders.
"Don't be...Don't be...." Katie turned over hugging Robin closely, it was too early for her to wake up.
"Plan of action?" Cali said business like.
"Hm....Tell you dad I didn't want you to walk home alone so you slept on the couch?"Cali laughed a little and said
"You've never met a teenage girl's father have you? Besides, what about the cut?"
"Hold on a sec!" They were still whispering and the dawn sun was coming up too quickly for the two. Robin carefully gave Katie to Cali and stood, he was going back into the house.
"What are you doing?!"
"Getting a first aid kit and my mom's makeup."
"No. Don't go back in." Cali's whisper had almost went into a normal tone she was getting so worked up, but Robin shushed her and went into the house against her wishes.
Upon entering the house Robin confirmed his suspensions that the mother passed out, she was on couch snoring. He walked by her quietly as possible and quickly found his way to the bathroom. Shifting through the drawers without making a lot of noise proved to be difficult, but Robin managed and soon he was back out with the supplies.
"Great. I get a band aid." Cali said sarcastically when she saw Robin. Very relieved to see he had no new bruises. It scared her though, to see his bare chest with all the black and blue. Then she realized she had slept by Robin while he was shirtless. Cali turned her head to head her red face.
"What? Anyway, here let me see your head." He didn't wait for answer, no time. He still needed a believable story for Cali's parents. He wasn't sure what to do. Robin wasn't used to lying.
Her head looked great! It was like the cut wasn't even there! The vase hadn't cut her very deep at all which was good. Robin still felt ruddy about the whole thing. Cali on the other hand looked like she had just got out of a spa. She was her peachy normal self. He wished he could be as strong as her. The warm summer air surround him and reminded him that the sun would still shine. He smiled at Cali who was stretching to try to wake up and put Katie on his back. Time to go and face the parents. Somehow this was almost as scary as hearing the mother's footsteps.......
Cali was brainstorming what could she possibly tell her father and mother? She was nervous and the silence between her and Robin was bugging her.
"What do we say?"
"Hm...You were afraid of the dark and didn't want to walk home?"
"I don't think that will work..." Cali replied to his idea, trying to be nice.
"Ah...I'm not good at coming up with stories...." Robin said, even toned, back to his old self.
"You're not??"
"Nope, not exactly creative. You on the other hand...That was good story you told Katie last night...."
Cali Blushed and ducked her head. She got flustered around those who complemented her too much. It was annoying....
"Thanks.....We still need a story though..."
"Thats it." Robin said almost excitedly.
"Whats it?" Cali said curious to what her friend had thought up.
Robin closed one eye lazily he must be thinking of how to say it. He was always thinking...
"We'll tell them that you had to stay and tell Katie a story so she would sleep!" Robin smiled a little, glad he had come up with something to help.
"Great! Well I guess you can tell a story!" Cali laughed cheerily, lets hope her parents accepted the story. They had sure took a liking to Robin, that would really help. While they were walking the two had become quiet again, but it was a peaceful, agreeing silence. Cali looked around, summer had just begun and so much had happened. Yet, at times like these it felt as if time stood still and nothing had happened. It felt like everyone was happy, content. If God love them so much...Why couldn't all the times be like this? Just watching the world come alive in the rising sun, walking with those who matter to you. she would miss this, when school started back up. Being able to walk and talk so freely. She smiled, it was too soon to think of such things, besides they were at her house. It was show time.
She walked and looked at the driveway, the car wasn't there. That was weird...Was it parked in the garage? no, Dad never did that.....Quickening her pace Cali went to the red door and knocked three times. No answer. She knocked three more times. Still no answer. She went to the spot they kept the extra key. Unlocking the door Cali looked at Robin nervously. entering the house she began to call for her parents.
"Mom! Dad! I'm home!"
Robin went to lay Katie on their couch. She was still resting peacefully.
"Mom!" Cali said, she seemed to be coming frantic. She was roaming around the house, in search of her missing parents.
"Dad!" Robin went to the kitchen and just happened to notice a white slip on the long table he had dinned at the evening before. He read it himself and then called out for Cali.
"They left!!!!" She said like a pouting child whose cat ran away.
"Hmp. Well...I'll call my mother....Robin, please get shirt. Go to the room I showed you earlier....."
Robin nodded he had forgotten that he wasn't wearing a top...He sighed, it was back to this strange house. It had so many empty rooms. Surely Cali had her own, then the parents'.....It was such a big house. He went into the quiet little room. Whose room had this been? He looked around. It was definitely a boy's....There was a nightstand with pictures on it. Robin went over to investigate. There were three frames. He picked up a metal one that had carefully crafted leaves on it. Inside there was a picture of a young girl, Katie's age and an older boy...They were a spitting image of each other...The younger girl looked like a young Cali. Did....Did she have an older brother? Then this must be his room and his clothes. He must be off at college thought Robin... "These are probably all his old clothes...I suppose if he left them then he doesn't need them right?" Robin said to himself, trying to justify why it was okay to take a total strangers wardrobe. He found a shirt and slipped it on. He looked in the mirror, assessing last night's damage. He had a bruised cheek and other than that, there wasn't any major damage. He needed a hair cut and he needed to start lifting....He sighed. There were a lot of things needed. Then he began to smell bacon, which made breakfast on top of that list.
Cali hummed while started breakfast. Today might end up a lot better than yesterday. Mother had said they went directly to bed when she and Robin left so they didn't hear her come in. Other than that they were about to board their plane and wouldn't be able to talk. Her uncle was supposed to be here at ten to pick her up. It was seven right now. Plenty of time to clean herself up and tidy the house.
"Where am I?" Came soft little voice from the doorway. Cali turned around to see Katie rubbing the sleep from her big doe eyes.
"My house sweetie. I'm making breakfast. Do you like bacon."
"Yes!" Katie responded happily. This week had gone really well. She had gotten big breakfast and she even was told a wonderful story. Katie went and sat at the table, still trying to wake up. On the table was an ice pack and a simple candle for a center piece. The candle seemed normal enough, but ice pack was odd. Katie shrugged there house was odd too. Empty and gray. She loved it here. It was warm and filled a good feeling she never felt at home.
"So, any good dreams last night?" Cali asked, trying to make conversation.
"Uh-huh!" Katie said perking up.
"I dreamt about the thief and the princess they had a great adventure!" Cal had to resist the urge to laugh when Katie said adventure, it was too big of a word to fit in the little girl's mouth.
"I wish I could tell stories like that! Robin teaches me how to read...I want him to teach me how to tell a story!" Cali smiled broadly. So Robin was a teacher too? MAde sense, he'd be a good one.
"Well, Robin is a good teacher I bet."
"Yup!"
"But Katie you need to find the story you want tell. When you find it you write it down and tell the whole world!"
"Ah!" She said amazed and inspired like, she loved Cali so much!
"you really think I could?!?!" She was becoming excited.
"Of course!" Cali replied matter of fact-lye. Just then robin entered wearing a green shirt that matched his eyes. Something about made Cali's heart hurt. Maybe it was because it his old shirt.
"Katie, are you being helpful to Cali?" Robin said, very father like.
"No...." KAtie said, her excitement dieing a little.
"Here Katie, you can help me! Why don't you set the table. You can pass out the silverware. Robin will help too!" Cali said encouragingly.
"Okay!" Katie said happily. She looked at robin as he got the cups and plates. He handed her fork and spoons. Not trusting her with a knife.
Soon breakfast was ready and the three sat down to eat. katie said her little prayer and they ate talking and chatting. KAtie was telling a big story about a purple elephant named George.
"I want to tell stories like Cali! I want to be a story teller!" Robin patted his little sisters head and began to clean up the table.
"Why don't you go watch TV?" He said
"Cali can help!"  Katie nodded excitedly and followed Cali into the living room. Soon the sound of a cartoon was blaring from the room and Cali came back to the kitchen to help clean up. It was ill timed because Robin had already finished stacking the plates and was heading to the living room. They two ran straight into each other and fell to the ground. Robin acting on natural instincts took Cali and made sure he was the one to land on the floor and not her.
Cali opened her eyes when heard and felt a thud. She saw a green shirt. She blinked. It was the green shirt Robin was wearing. Again Cali blinked, trying to clear up her eyes. If She was seeing a green shirt that Robin was wearing and she didn't feel the cool floor where she should have landed then.....
"Are you okay?" Robin asked sitting up.
Then she had landed on Robin! Cali could feel the blush covering her entire face. She was so close, HE was so close. Robin's big honest green eyes told her he didn't realize how close they were.
"I-I-I I am fine!" Cali stood stiffly and said her words with unnecessary loudness. Robin stood up and he was still so close to her. When did he get so tall??!! Cali smiled trying to hide her feelings.
"D-dishes! T-time to do the dishes!" She said with the fake cheeriness of trying to change the subject.
"O-okay do you want help?"
"N-nope! I'm fine! You can go spend time with your sister. With this CAli turned and went to the sink, waiting to hear Robin leave. IT wasn't a long wait and when she heard the footsteps fade she could finally breathe again.
"What was that?" She mumbled under her breath.
"That was the first signs of a crush." Came a rugged voice Cali knew all too well.
"UNCLE!" Cali said excitedly and turned around. He was hiding in the hallway door way and smiled when he saw her.
"YOu're such a creeper! Hiding in the dark! When did you get here?!" Cali was too excited to fake scold him. She loved her Uncle, he was her favorite person!
"Ha ha! Not a nice way to greet your favorite uncle!"
"Oh! You know what I meant! SO...W-when did you get here?" Cali was a bit embarrassed. Her uncle saw that horrifying display. Her heart was still pounding.
"Long enough Cali, long enough." His voice had gone somewhat stern. Cali gulped, she was going to get chewed out so bad!
~
Robin was breathing heavily when he went into the living room. Katie was too drawn into her TV show to notice. He felt his face, it was warm from getting so flustered. Why was he so flustered?? Its not like he did it on purpose...It was a bump, it lasted no longer than a second...It was when he stood up though that worried him. Had she notice? The way he leaned a little?? When they stood up...Robin had wanted to kiss her. Robin wanted to kiss Cali! He could scarcely believe it...Why? All of sudden had these emotions started to build up! He normally didn't get worked up. He was mellow and calm. Even when the mother was on a binge he had never raised his voice or really got angry...He was feeling all these different emotions he thought he locked away. Robin took a deep breathe in and exhaled. So, he thought, I need to organize my thoughts. HE was thinking so hard that he didn't notice Cali talking to Uncle. Plus the TV blaring probably added to that factor.
~
"Cali." IT was a statement but a question. This was her uncle's skill. He always got her to talk and explain things by saying her name like he did. This time though, she really didn't know what to say. How to defend herself or Robin. What was she defending? It was nothing! Or was it? Cali was getting frustrated.
"U-uncle...What did you mean by a crush?" She asked shyly.
"You don't...." He stopped there so the two didn't even realize their own feelings? He almost started to laugh, but his cute little niece already looked embarrassed enough.
"I came to pick up Cals."
"What did I tell you about calling me that?!"
"I don't recall remind me again..."
"I've told you a hundred times over!"
"A hundred times over what?!" All or what they said was said playfully and happily. Cali loved her uncle, she loved him more than father and mother. Almost more than...Cali stopped, but only for a millisecond, she still couldn't think his name.
~
Robin still couldn't get a thought straight in his mind. He needed to write things down. That always seemed to clear things up fr him. He went into the kitchen and stopped at the doorway. There at the kitchen table was a large man laughing with Cali. RObin was frozen, then the two noticed him.
"R-robin! Th-this is my uncle....Uncle Rei This is Robin...M-my good friend."
Wait...Good friend??? Why did he feel slightly insulted by that? He shook his head, that wasn't important. The important thing was how long the uncle had been here and if he had seen the...the bump...And if Robin should run for his life if he had.
"G-good to meet you sir." The uncle had a look in his eyes that told Robin he knew everything. What was there know? How could this man know what Robin didn't even know?! He Robin stopped thinking, he was confusing himself again. He set aside these thoughts and concentrated on the uncle.
"No need to be formal. Why are you here?"
"Uncle, be nice..." Cali said quietly.
"No, Cali its is a very reasonable question." Robin replied sternly. "I was here make sure Cali was safe, I didn't want her to wait alone. You never know these days....." Robin hoped he didn't sound lame.
"Hmm...." Rei thought to himself, this boy seemed...grown up...He nodded his approval and knew that he could trust the boy.
"U-uncle...HEs telling the truth." Cali said meekly.
"I know Cali. Boy you can go home now. She is safe, I am her uncle."
"Y-yes...uh..."
"Call me Rei"
"UH- Yes Rei..."
"Goodbye Robin." Cali said half relieved half sad.
"B-bye Cali." Robin said turning to get Katie and leave.
~
Cali sighed heavily, she was in her room packing her clothes. What the hell was that?? She didn't know about the other two, but she could eat the tension in the air with that conversion. Its not like her and Robin were lovers...That was ridiculous, he would never like her that way. Anyway she had bigger things to worry about. Like her summer job with Uncle Rei, he owned an antique shop that was quiet successful. every summer she spent some time there to make extra money. With her job it would be hard to hang out with Robin or Katie, she didn't want to loose her new friends...Cali continued to pack and think to herself.
~
Rei was sitting and thinking too. His little niece seemed to have gotten over what happened so many years ago.....He began to wander if that boy Robin was the very same boy...Could it be?? If so did the boy realize who Cali was? It obvious Cali didn't recognize the boy...Rei was worried. This could upset everything that had happened until now, Robin was having a positive effect on Cali. Realizing what happened so long ago an who it was could completely ruin it...
"Hmmm...." Rei thought on the subject. It was up to God now.

Saturday
Its was raining out, and there was an odd chill in the air. Cali didn't mind at all. She loved storms! She loved the way the thunder seemed to shake the ground so powerfully, she loved the way the lighting split the sky so mightily. Cali wished she was as strong as a summer storm. Strong enough to tear up the sky in such a scary, beautiful way. Yesterday her uncle had picked her up and drove her to his house. The rest of the day she cleaned his messy house and today she would be continuing the same task. Twelve years ago Uncle Rei lost his wife and little girl while they were away on a vacation. They were a beautiful family, the three of them. Cali smiled as she dusted off a picture of the forgotten family. To her uncle the event was an unspoken sorrow that was under no circumstances to be mentioned. Her uncle was sad about it, but he didn't let that sadness control his life. Instead he became a better man because of it. Well, thats what her father always said. Even though her uncle was over it and had moved on Cali couldn't. Ever since it happened it had bothered her deeply. Her aunt, uncle and cousin were devote followers and were more holy than most preachers yet God took the two most precious things in uncle's life. Cali shook her head, then that happened it only confirmed what she began to believe while she was so young. God  didn't really love anyone, no one at all. 
~
Robin looked around himself, there was a storm brewing. He hated storms. How the thunder seemed like it was going to break the ground, or how the lighting seemed to split the sky in half. It reminded him at how easy it was for things to break and ruin. On days like this he was quiet with thought and sadness. Katie was at the library today with their daycare. Robin hoped it would help her make friends her own age. Today he was going to scout for jobs, he needed one badly. The house payments and the water bills....Everything seemed to be piling up. It had never been this bad, he always had money from his father's inheritance. They just run out. Robin shook his head and stopped in his tracks. Looked into the sky  smiled at God he was still very blessed. He still had Katie and now he had Cali. If continued to have those two things, he could live forever without anything else. Robin looked at his paper, thankfully he had an umbrella which kept him and the paper dry. There were three jobs he was interested in. He had all the applications ready and was dressed in his nicest outfit. A blue polo and dark blue jeans. Cali had given them to him. He found them in a box on his porch this morning along with new clothes for KAtie. He had finally learned to swallow his pride enough to accept these gifts from Cali. She was so kind and had the most quiet personality sometimes...When she was in a quiet mood, her voice sweet tempered and eyes aglow Robin just wanted to wrap her up in a hug. When she was in a loud joyful mood, the biggest smile on her face and laughter ringing all around her, Robin wanted nothing more than to make her laugh and laugh and laugh. She had the best laugh, it was so quiet then it will get louder then she would stop taking deep breaths trying to get hold of herself. Cali was an easy laugher. Robin smiled to himself, good thing, he wasn't a comedian so it would be harder to cheer Cali up if she didn't laugh so easy. He had finally came to the first place and he took a deep breath, it was time. He prayed a quick prayer and went in.
~
Cali had finally finished with the cleaning and decided to start on making lunch, her uncle would be in for his break anytime soon. As she made preparations Cali began to think about certain someone who went by the name Robin. He had really lost everything. His childhood, his father, his mother (emotional wise) all he had was Katie. Not to be mean to Katie, but she must be a heavy burden to bare. Yet just like her uncle he was still a devote believer. This amazed Cali. She was puzzled deeply that these two people who had nothing still believed in the God who had taken everything away....
The door opened and in came her soaking wet uncle. It must have really picked up. Cali had gotten so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't realized how much time had passed. She must have made the soup with out even thinking. Her uncle sighed heavily as he sat in the chair. Cali glanced back as she spooned the meal into the bowl. His forehead was creased with worry and his eyes had lost his normal sparkling glow. She brought the bowls over to the table and smiled at her uncle.
"Oyster Chowder. Your favorite!" She said cheerily, trying to make her uncle a little more cheeky himself.
"Thank you Cali." He voice was so deep, like an ocean. Sometimes calm and serene, others dark and cold. she sat down and began to eat. Her uncle was quiet as he ate his meal. Drowning in thought probably.
"So, how is work?" Cali asked, trying to break the silence.
"Not good. I need an assistant badly. Today I was so swamped..."He sighed heavily and took a bite of his soup. Her uncle owned an antique shop he sold and fixed old things that people loved. People loved her uncle, he was such a good man.
"Thank you Cali, but I must get back to work." He said solemnly as he put his empty bowl in the sink. Cali wished there was something she could do for her uncle. Once she had tried to help by manning the cash register but she had screwed up the prices so badly they ended up short fifty dollars. Safe to say she didn't ever get a chance to do so again. Cali stood and collected the other dishes and prepared to wash them. Thinking about her uncle's dilemma.
~
Robin sat on the wet curb holding umbrella at an angle where the rain would still pelt his skin, he didn't care enough to fix it. He had failed terribly. Not a single person accepted his applications. No one, nada, zip, zero, zilch. It was really depressing, he looked at the sky again. What he hated most about days like these was the rain. It was like all the angels were crying, mourning the earth's pain. He hated that the angels had to cry. A tear or raindrop, robin couldn't tell, slipped down his cheek. He hated that he had to cry. It made him feel so weak.
~
Cali felt rather brilliant her solution couldn't have been better it worked out so perfectly. Her uncle loved the idea too. It just had to work. Plus the thought of being able to spend time with Robin made her feel bubbly inside. The rain was still doing its thing and it was rather gloomy out. Nothing could dampen her spirit though. She was at Robin's house knocking at his door and waiting to tell him the good news. It was great news!
~
Robin had taken his little sister to the library already and had sat home since. His mother was not at home anyone could guess where she was. His house was not lit and there were no sounds, no motion. All you could hear was the pitter patter of the heavy rain that had yet to cease. He had tried to motivate himself, to get out of this slump, but he couldn't. A rumble of thunder made him jump. As a man he could not say he was afraid of storms, he could  just say he hated them. Robin hated them with a living passion. The rumble ended and lighting lit up the sky. Then he heard four knocks at his door. Cautiously he looked out the window. It was Cali! The wings of joy made his heart feel warm again quickly he opened the door.
~
Cali smiled brightly when Robin opened the door but it faded as soon as she saw him. He looked terrible. His normal quiet self was ghostly and pale against the gloom of the day. His playful green eyes seemed tired beyond his years. He smiled though.. It was a weak, frail smile. Cali let her self in and shook off her umbrella.
"Robin?" Cali said worried. He smiled again, but he still seemed tired, it worried Cali to no end.
~
"Cali!" Robin said as cheerily as he could. It did him so much good to see her. Her black hair looked rich against the pale gray of the overcast and her blue eyes were filler with usual worry. HE sighed. Why did she worry for him? Robin went over to her warped his arms around her. It was such a chilly day for summer. Plus he didn't want her to see his tears. The world seemed to be crashing down around him and he had held them in so long.
~
She didn't move and she didn't even think about breathing. Cali did however drop her umbrella on the hardwood floor. Wrapped up Robin's arms she could feel the warmth penetrating the coolness of the rain. She did not pull away nor did she hug back her arms were limp at her sides. She felt so safe in his arms and it felt wonderful just standing here with him. Finally though deciding her great news couldn't wait a minuet longer Cali pulled back a only a little bit though, not wanting to fully loose his warmth. Then she saw his face, it was stained with fresh tears.
"Oh RObin!" She said, probably too pitiably because Robin just shook his head.
~
It felt like he finally had a shelter from the storm when he hugged Cali. Like God had given him a rock to lean on. When she pulled back Robin knew she'd see the tears and that made him feel angry at himself. He didn't deserve someone as strong as Cali if he were going to be a sobbing mess all the time.
"C-cali I..." He stopped it hurt to talk.
"Robin lets go sit on the couch okay?" He nodded, he felt bad to make Cali worry so much. So she sat down and he sat beside her...Now nervous of what she thought about the sudden contact.
"YOu know when I was young..." She started out. Robin listened intently.
"My mother used to always let me lay my head in her lap and she would always pet my head. ITs kind of odd now that I think about it, but it never failed to make me feel better...I'd always tell her what was bothering me when we did that.....R-robin you don't have to do the other thing,but...I want you to know you can always tell me whats bothering you. Okay?" Finally Robin gave up his flopped uselessly on Cali's shoulder as he began to tell his tale of woe. At some point during the long explanation of how he failed Robin's head ended up in Cali's lap and quietly she stroked his head. Listening to his every word. By the time he had finished Robin had ran out of tears and he was tired. He hadn't slept the night before. So Soon after the finishing of his sad tale Robin fell asleep most near his favorite person in the world. his last thought was wishing it could always be like this.

The author's comments:
Last Chap. for a while this isn't edited and gone through yet, though it'd be easier to do it a bit a time.....

Sunday
He woke to the smell of bacon and eggs with maybe a hint of waffle. Robin sat up, he was in his bed. His head felt sluggish and slow as he tried to recall the previous day. Nothing came to him. He got out of the bed and stood slowly. He was still in his clothes from yesterday and hadn't had shower. He walked to the kitchen. There stood Cali humming merrily while she made breakfast. In his house. Cali was in his house making him breakfast. This took a moment to sink with as slow as his brain was going.
~
Yesterday's rain had cleared up nicely and now the morning was bright and clear. It was a hopeful kind of day. Cali had managed to wake Robin enough from his sleep to get him to his bed. Then she had called her uncle explaining that Robin needed her help with cleaning his house. He laughed and gave her the okay. His house wasn't full of piles messy, but dust and grim messy. So Cali had set to work and halfway through the library had called and said that Katie needed to be picked up. Robin was still sleeping so she picked up the little sister and took her home. Not wanting to risk having Katie alone Cali stayed the night. This morning she wanted to tell Robin her great news. So she made a good breakfast to go with the good news.
~
LEaning on the door frame Robin was slowly getting his thoughts in order and he could remember laying his head on Cali's lap and falling asleep. Where was Katie?!?! That thought woke him right up and he rushed to her room, thinking that maybe she walked home by herself. She wasn't there. RObin's heart was beating faster than when Cali had fallen on him. He ran to the front door slipping his shoes halfway on.
"Robin!" He heard Cali's voice cry out. He turned and rushed towards her, grabbing her shoulders with a scared franticness.
"Cali?! Where is she?! Where is Katie?!" Cali let out a deep breath and smiled. Robin didn't know wether to feel relived or frighted.
"She is in the living room watching a dvd." Robin hung his head in relief, so Cali had taken care of everything? Robin blinked a little stunned.
"C'mon silly, breakfast is ready. We all have a big day today!"
She led him into the house and to the table. During all this talk Robin realized something, the rain had stopped and outside everything was awake and alive. He smiled and looked out the window as Cali set the table and called his little sister in for breakfast. Today would be perfect, it had to be. Because it started out perfect. It started with Cali.
~
She stood by Robin who seemed very nervous. At breakfast she had explained the job opening and the offer he uncle had prepared



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Feb. 27 2012 at 5:42 pm
secrets_of_silence GOLD, Gisborne, Other
12 articles 0 photos 439 comments

Favorite Quote:
life had i loved the more
had it but passed away
as quietly as the day
ebbs from the darkening star.


-emanuel litvinoff

yay you put it in as a book