The Untitled Regan Thorp Project | Teen Ink

The Untitled Regan Thorp Project

September 18, 2015
By R.K.Thorp, Northville, Michigan
More by this author
R.K.Thorp, Northville, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

Fire is one of Marilyn's fettishes

Breath in and out, the simplest human function
I thought this to myself as I lit another smoke. Breathing was so simple, so why not put something between your lips as you do it? I pulled down the trigger and watched the fire dance before my eyes. It was beautiful. I couldn't stare at it too long because my friend would start complaining. There is nothing more beautiful than fire. I held my 2 fingers out and watch the flames lick tobacco and paper as I breathed in a sharp breath. I held it in for a minute as the smoke engulfed the inside of my mouth. Then I let out a long lingering breath and smoke came pouring out of me. I smiled — I had a strange liking for cigarettes. My father may have had cancer but I still like to smoke. I'm probably a hypocrite...whatever. I passed the lighter over to Valerie as she impatiently waited, joint in hand.
"B****, would you just pass the f***ing lighter," she said irritatedly.
"No because i don't want to feed you when you get the f***ing munchies.
She snatched the lighter out of my fist and proceeded to quickly light up her dope. F***ing pot head. Most of time I was with Valerie, she was baked like a f***ing cake. On the rare occasion she was sober, she would always be about to light up. I like her better high though. We’re too similar for me to like her that much. I like vulnerable people who I can suck the energy and life out of. That's why she's so appealing to me when she's high. I liked when she broke down her walls, when she was vulnerable. Although I think I like everyone like that. When they’re under my spell.
The butt of my cig lit up our surroundings and the smell of smoke and weed filled the air and my lungs. God, it reeked of cancer. But I kept puffing, breathing in and out and in and out. The moon shown down on us troubled teens as we smoked on the curb of Valerie's house. This was the rare occasion that I came over. She always came over to my house considering how s***ty her parents are. But since her parents are always drunk they never notice or care when we smoke. Valerie continued to smoke her joint as she smiled and said to me, "Marilyn, pot is the love of my life."
"No it's your vice."
"Well at least I won't get f***ing cancer. You know considering what happened to your dad and all I'd say your pretty hypocritical."
I pulled the ciggy out of my mouth, looking at it I said, "Yeah I guess I am..."
My voice trailed off as I put out the butt on the side of the road. The trees looked black and haunting in the sky tonight. But the moon — the moon was as beautiful as anything I'd ever seen. It was completely full tonight. This was Valerie's favorite time to get high. She loved to lie down on the side of the road and watch the full moon dance in her eyes. She loved Luna just as I loved my fire.
"God, would you put that thing out? I don't want your parents to smell that s***," I said as I watched her take an incredible mouthful and blow out.
"Calm the f*** down, you know better than anyone that they don't care. Plus, I’m pretty sure Rod is passed out right now and Kitty is out partying with the neighbors."
She took another breathful and smiled as she did. She laughed and laughed and laughed. I love it when Valerie laughed, she was so pretty when she smiled. I'd give anything to see her smile, even if it means buying her pot to make her happy.
"Ah, Marilyn, life is so very s***ty."
"Wow really? Come on, dude, I got you high. Just try to enjoy it instead of focusing on the cuts, the bruises, and the world."
She looked down at her swollen legs and shredded arms. I'd met a lot of depressed people in my day who cut up their bodies and hid the scars. But Valerie was different: she wore them with pride. It was basically like her saying to the world: “Yeah, motherf*ers, look at me, I have bruises from my parents and cuts from myself. There's nothing you can do to hurt me”. She's the toughest girl I'd ever met. And even with her scars and bruises she was still beautiful. She got up and proceeded to dance in the moonlight. Okay, so I exaggerated when I said she was always baked. The girl was a dancer too, that’s how we met. In a dance studio. She works a few jobs but they never last, but she usually gets some kind of money. Plus, our dance teacher is an amazing woman and secretly doesn't let her pay for classes. Of course she has to pay for the competitions, but she always makes enough. Valerie was happiest when she smoked, and when she danced. I mean, it's understandable because her home life is so f***ing awful. I've met some bad parents in my life, but hers just don't care. My mom may be a selfish asshole but at the very least she lets Valerie stay with us and eat with us. She's so skinny: her parents never feed her.
"Marilyn what is the meaning of life?"
I rolled my eyes; Valerie was now lying on the ground watching the moon dance before her eyes. She got so philosophical when she was high — only time I could talk real with her. As ridiculous as she is when she gets philosophical, she had a right to be bitter about her life.
"Well, love is the meaning of life."
"That's bullshit."
"It's only bullshit if you weren't loved as a child."
"Or if your dad died of cancer."
"And if you smoke weed to be happy."
"And if you smoke to be hypocritical."
I laughed at that statement. True, I partly smoked for irony. No one would ever guess a girl whose father had cancer would smoke. I find myself to be similar to Alaska from Looking for Alaska by John Green. "Y'all smoke to enjoy it, I smoke to die." I find that quote to be true for me. I had never tried to kill myself, but I think smoking is my own personal way of slowly killing my hating self.
"God, I want food. Get me some damn food, Marilyn."
"Get it yourself you skinny whore."
"Nevermind I'm tired."
And with that she walked over to me, laid her head down in my lap, and fell asleep. I smiled down at her pretty face. The moon shined on her bruised right eye -- her dad had punched her earlier. I softly brushed it with my thumb. Even in sleep she looked tougher than ever, but I could see right through the toughness. I saw the sad girl who longed to be loved. I knew that was her dream, being loved and accepted. I wished more than anything she could have it, but I knew it was quite impossible. I gritted my teeth in anger and frustration at how miserable and stupid this God damn world is. I looked over at my pack lying on the soft green ground. I slowly picked a smoke out of the carton and put it between my lips. I reached over Valerie's body and grabbed the lighter. I snapped my finger down and again watched the beautiful glow of the fire dance in front of me. I swished my finger around the fire and it nipped slightly at it. As painful as fire can be, I want to die in flames. That is how I will die. But for now I will work on slowly starving my lungs. I pulled the flame to my cig and watched it light up in a beautiful orange glow. And then I did what every human does best.
I breathed in, and out.

The author's comments:
This book is told by three people

I woke up the next day to see Marilyn in what I like to call her "power pose". She was leaning against a window, smoke in hand, arm on hip, and her brow furrowed as she thought about something important. I knew she was never to be disturbed during these times -- it would just lead to her breaking thought and then discussing it with me. And considering I'm not smart, I wouldn't like to have to hear a bunch of boring shit. She took one last drag and put out her cigarette. She picked up her pack and opened it. She frowned and was about to go pick up another smoke when she stopped. She looked dead at the pack, her eyes bulging. I had never seen her like this, so hesitant to pick up a cigarette. Then she slowly closed it, and slid it into her pocket. I stared at her in confusion. Never had I seen Marilyn give up a smoke. Something must have been really wrong.
"Are you okay, Mare?" Marilyn looked over at me and she smiled saying,"I just think I shouldn't smoke during the day. I don't think Applewood would like me smoking at school...or at all."
I rolled my eyes. Applewood was the prestigious all girls Catholic school Marilyn had gotten into. You can go there if your parents are rich and you donate a ton of money, but there's no way she could pay that. Marilyn is the smartest girl I'd ever met and that damn school thought so, too: offered her an academic scholarship as soon as they heard of her. I just wish we could go to high school with together, Lord knows I’m going to need it. I need her to keep me sane, even though I'll never admit it. She already knows though.
"Yeah -- Applewood -- your fancy ass rich person school," I said smirking.
"Shut the f up, lazy ass."
She stood there smiling, arms crossed over her red tank top. I'm not gay or anything but I wish I looked as hot as Marilyn. She hates her body but honestly it's perfect. She has bones showing in all the right places, her boobs always look amazing even when she's not trying, and her hair is golden blond. She once had beautiful curls, but she wears it so short it's hard to tell. She wishes she had an ass but I think her legs totally make up for it. They are amazing and perfect for dancing. Me? I'm a skinny mess, my arms and legs are all cut up and bruised, my hair is stringy and brown. Only thing I have going for me is I look tough, and Marilyn says I have the prettiest green eyes she's ever seen. I wish I had blue ones like hers, they're the kind of blue that doesn't make a big deal of itself. I don't like to be noticed, but everyone notices the girl with the creepy green eyes and the messed up, skinny as f body. She walks over to me and sits on my plain bed. I still have the black sheets pulled over my body. I really don't feel like showing my scars to the world and the sunlight right now. Marilyn sighs and pulls out her pack again and looks straight at my dresser. Everything in my room is very plain, its either black or white, and I don't have any decoration. She walks over to the dresser and sets down her Malboro Blacks, her favorite kind, and after sighing again walks back to my bed and lays down. She rubs her eyes and grits her teeth. You can always tell when Marilyn's mad, she grits teeth and tightens her jaw. I think everyone knows to stay away from Marilyn when she's mad, because she's very scary. Instead of having a screaming match with you she'll go into super smart mode. And hoe your ass. Now i don't know about you but I for one try to avoid making Marilyn mad. I would not like to get hoed.
"I need to quit don't I?"
"It's your choice Marilyn, but I gotta say you could spend your money on so much more pot for me if you did." this made her smile.
"See but maybe you should get off weed and I'll quit smoking."
"You sure know how to dream don't you." we both laughed at this.
"Come on fat ass," I said to her,"Your mom's gonna be here soon to take us too Ross Park."Ross Park was the humongous mall that was located in Levendow, Ohio. It was about 20 minutes away from Marilyn and mine's hometown of Applewood. It's got hot boys and expensive clothes. Luckily, I'd saved up enough money to buy myself a few outfits because I'm going to public school.
"I don't want to see her, she's going to give me hell about whatever i wear." said Marilyn as she frowned.
"Fine, let's get baked then." I said with a smirk. The only time I can get Marilyn to do drugs with me is when she has to see her mother. Her mom may not be as awful as mine, but she still has a lot of resentment toward her and has a right to it. I mean after her husband died the woman didn't even care. She started dating almost immediately after his death. And now the bitch was getting married in like two weeks. It crushed Marilyn's poor soul, more than it already was. I walk over to my closet pull out my stash. Marilyn looks in her pocket at her trusty lighter as i get the stuff ready.
"What's up with you lately? Having second thoughts about your fancy school?" I say as i continue to roll.
"No...I'm just worried is all. You know how i feel about change." She says with a sigh.
"Well don't you worry," I say handing her the joint, "Cuz right now you can light up and forget about all your problems."
She takes it from my hand and studies it and smells it. Her face lights up as she flicks her lighter on. She pulls the flames toward her joint and then takes a large inhale. Marilyn may know how to make people think. But I know how to make people forget.

The author's comments:
This is the third and last character narrator for this book.

I stare at the large glass doors in front of me and sigh. Today's the day, the first day of high school at Applewood High. Only plus side to this damned school is it's all girls, and I'm gay. I know everyone has their stupid f*ing stereotypes but I will tell you this right now; I am not a boy, I am not some creep who wants to f every girl I see, and I am not a vegan. Sorry those are just the normal bullshit stuff I hear. I walk up to the big doors and pull them open. The lobby is very large and strangely empty. I check the clock on the plain wall and it reads 7:30. Class doesn't start till 8:20 and sign in is at 8:00. I sigh and begin to walk. There are two double door entrances into the nearest halls. And the lobby also leads to the gym and auditorium on the left and the right walls. I walk to the left entrance to the main halls and push open the doors. As soon as I enter i see the opening to the hall for the locker room. And to my right some more double doors to a storage room. The halls ahead are buzzing with activity and kids talking. To my right farther ahead is the Applewood cafe which is famous for their food. I go through the double doors at the far end of the hall and walk by the North alcove which consists of cubicles for kids to study during off hours. It's standard, 4 by 4 small cubicles. There are two sets in this alcove. I looked at my schedule and saw I had to get my student ID and lanyard from the reception. I then checked my map and was immediately confused. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked around. No one was in the North hall right now except for one girl sitting on the ground. She was cute; she wore the same white polo with the word Applewood written in the corner, and a black plaid skirt with black high top chucks on her feet. She had a grey beanie on her head with a pixie cut hairstyle. Her hair was a gorgeous blonde and her eyes seemed very blue and pretty. She looked to be very into the book she was reading which i saw was called "Abhorsen". I wasn't much into reading but damn would I be if this girl wanted me to. I quickly looked at the name on her lanyard which said; Marilyn Mink. I then walked up to her and sat right down in front of her.
"Hello." I said to her. She didn't' seem to notice or care. She turned a page and then said to me.
“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.”
Well, this girl was sure a freak. But I like freaks so I went along with it.
"That was beautiful, who quoted it?" she Then snapped the book shut and gave me a disgusted look. I was very taken aback by this.
"Do you really not know who this is by? I'll ask you this then. Who's the f*ing author of Huckleberry Finn?"
She did not look very pleased with me. I didn't know the answer to that question so I decided to flirt, this usually did the trick.
"I don't know but I'd be ever so pleased if you could tell me." I touched her arm ever so gently and watched her face grow soft. Of course it worked it always worked...
"Get away from me fa**ot."
...until it didn't.
"What the f did you just call me? A fa**ot. God you're just like the bitches in my middle school!"
I yelled this at her as she packed up her things and we both stood up. She then smiled at me.
"Please. I am not anything like those twigs from your little 'middle school'," she air quoted as she said this, "I just don't like the fact that I've asked about 10 people here already about a simple quote and none of them know who it's f*ing by. I thought this was supposed to be a prestigious school?! Here I am feeling lucky as f that I'm even here to begin with and now I see that anyone with money can just get in." she stared at me and then I realized what was going on. I looked at her uniform and saw how old it was and there was safety pins holding things in place.
"Look," I said to her, "I realize that everyone here is snobby and awful, but I can promise you that I'm not. Now please don't call me a fa**ot again it's rude." she uncrossed her arms and her jaw finally locked back to its normal state.
"Yeah I'm sorry for calling you a f**ot, I just wanted to throw you off. Really I'm pansexual."
I blinked and looked at her again. That made sense to me, the girl screamed gay.
"Ahhhh mi compadre." I laughed, she didn't. She sighed and started to walk away when I stopped her.
"Hey woah, I need some help. I got to find this reception area." she turned directly on her heel and stared me dead in my brown eyes and said, "I don't want to be friends with some huge ass flirt. I'm here to learn. Yeah sure I may f a b if I get bored but other than that stay the hell away from me." she then smirked and said.
"But I can always help a lonely bottom find her way come on." I made a face at this. The bitch had just called me a bottom?! In lesbian terms a bottom is the one receiving. To normal people you wouldn't think this would be offensive, but considering I'm a well known top this was flat out disrespectful.
"You bitch." I said with a snarl. But she just grabbed my hand and walked me down the hall. I pulled away quickly and proceeded to ignore her looks of gloating at me. God this girl would be my match I just know it.
"So anyways what's your name ." she said to me with the God damned sexiest smile/smirk I'd ever seen.
"Jackie, Jackie Berenstein."
"Interesting name. God a lighter Jackie?" I stopped dead in my tracks and gave her another look. She laughed and said, "Damn ice queen I just need a smoke, I was trying to last through the day but I have realized that it will be impossible. And sadly I forgot my damned lighter." she smiled at me again and I nearly melted. Truthfully I didn't smoke, I did way worse.
"Let's just say, my vices include someday you don't need a match for." we now walked past the media center and past another alcove, the one right by reception. This alcove did not have anything in it and there were huge glass windows showing a small outside sit-down area. She looked at me with a hardened look.
"Guess were both going to die." she was so serious it scared me.
"I've escaped death many times, but cocaine will always be the love of my life." We passed my the last alcove which was now on the right leading to the North Hall classes. North hall or N hall consisted of math and science classes, I for sure will not like that. The alcove right by it had cubicles in it like the first alcove does. The walls were a putrid green color, I hated the color green. We finally turned a corner and were at the reception area. Reception consisted of 2 small benches for visitors waiting and a very long counter. I turned to Marilyn and said, "Thank you for your kind services."
"No problem ice queen, what's your class list?" she asked. I walked up to reception and asked for my lanyard and class list. The lady at the desk was very short, old, and wrinkled. With a toothy smile she asked my name and then gave me my things. I walked back over to Marilyn who was very carefully studying the sculptures in a glass case in the reception area.
"I think if I could be anything I'd want to be artistic. Dancers, actresses, and singers can only create so much. Artists can make something lasting." she said, not looking at me.
"Are you a performer?" i asked, I was hoping she would be. I'm a singer. Some people say I'm Ariana Grande; I dyed my hair(which is originally black) to a bright red and I sing just like her too.
"Why yes I am. It is my passion in life." she said with a smile. She gestured at my schedule and I looked down at it and said, "First hour Speech, second hour design, third hour World History, fourth hour Algebra, fifth hour glee, sixth hour Spanish, seventh hour english 9." she smirked now and said, "Well my dear ice queen we have fourth hour together." I smiled now, i was done pretending to be mad at that cute face. She grabbed one of my hands brought it too her lips and kissed it saying, "I look forward to more interesting conversations with you." and with that she walked away. God damn...I think this girl might kill me.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.