Carmelo Nuñez | Teen Ink

Carmelo Nuñez

February 6, 2019
By Anonymous

Each tree looked like a brown blur. While I could keep up with the cars driving on the neighboring street, I couldn’t quite keep up with the trees. With the train still moving, I looked out the window determined to isolate a tree and see it in its true form rather than see it distorted because of the train’s movement. I hear Mother’s voice in the back of my head saying, “Carmelo, you know watching los árboles is going to give you a headache, you have to stop.” I instantly stopped. She was right and as if on cue I started to feel an ache around my left temple. Mother is always right; that’s why I’m on a train in the first place. She’s always right and I’m going to go see her.

I sit back in my seat and close my eyes trying to relieve myself of the newfound pressure in my head. I can’t sleep because the station I get off on is only a few stops away. Six to be exact. I open my eyes and see a person in front of me. Specifically a girl. Specifically with curly brown hair. She reminded me of my sister. My sister had curly hair too. Though the girl made me nervous. My sister never made me nervous. The girl was smiling at me but didn’t say anything. I cleared my throat. Still nothing. “Are you lost?” I asked. Her smile faltered, but nevertheless she kept eye contact with me.

“I’m Adrienne.” the curly haired girl said. I hesitated.

“Carmelo.” Did I say that right? Should I have said my name with the accent? Can she pronounce my name correctly? Should I correct her if she doesn’t?

“Carmelo,” she said. My lips split open in awe. She rolled her r’s so elegantly. I liked the way she said my name. Raspy yet smooth. “I like your name Carmelo. It’s way better than mine.” I looked down at my hands. They were weird even though mother says that they’re not. I guess I should listen to her, she’s always right.

“Why are you talking to me?” I asked. It was a genuine question. We are complete strangers but we were are sitting across from one another.

“I was bored and you seemed like you could use a friend.”

I looked up from my hands, “Is that a joke?” She let out a small chuckle.

“No.” Her chuckle was the kind you have to listen hard for. The kind that Mother has. But she’s not like my Mother. She doesn’t look at me like I’m a little boy. Or like I’m a glass vase. She looks at me like I am a human being. The way she looks at me she makes me nervous.

I looked back out the window. How many trees has the train passed since I got on? I couldn’t remember, I lost count. That never happens. Adrienne made me lose count. She made me really nervous. “I was named after my dad,” I said looking at her hair. Now that I’ve had a second look, it wasn’t like my sister’s at all. Her hair was bigger, it bounced and moved on its own. Like it had its own mind. I was in awe. “Carmelo Nuñez IV. That makes me the fifth Carmelo in my family, but I just go by Carmelo. My mother says it’s easier that way and she’s always right.” I stopped talking. I have never said that out loud. Well, only once and some old lady started hitting me with her purse when I was sitting next to her on a different train ride. I decided to never say those words out loud again. I examined Adrienne’s face. I didn’t know what she was thinking, she didn’t say anything. Did she find what I said weird? Should I keep talking? “My dad left my mom, sister and I when I was twelve. Almost 11 years ago. I don’t know why. Sometimes I wish I could talk to him, ask him why he left. Life was probably hard for him with work and all.”

Adrienne shifted in her seat looking down at the grubby, salt covered floor and  cleared her throat, “Do you hate him?” I looked into her eyes; they were a dark brown. Above them were her bushy, furrowed eyebrows. When the eyebrows are pulled together, it can indicate confusion or an attempt to perceive better. An inverted horseshoe-shaped fold between the brow is known as ‘Darwin’s grief muscle’ and often indicates sadness. I wanted to ask her if she was okay but Mother says it’s never polite to butt into people’s business. Mother also says to always answer someone’s question - always be polite.

“No. Mother says that ‘hate’ is a strong word. She says I shouldn’t hate anyone.” Adrienne nodded her head. The nod means almost universally - “yes, I agree” or “I understand”, it simply means yes. I didn’t know if she agreed or understood what I was saying. But it was okay because she was still looking at me. Still looking at me as a person. We sat in silence for a few minutes until I overheard the intercom saying, “Arriving at Shadow Hill Station.” Two more stops. Have we only been talking for that long? It seemed much longer.

I looked around the train. There were a few people scattered around the car. Adrienne and I were the only pair sitting together. I found that comforting. Just two people who were enjoying each other’s company. Or at least I was enjoying her company. Even though she made me nervous. Did I make her nervous? Probably not. Was she enjoying my company? Maybe. Why would she still be sitting with me? Maybe she’s just too lazy to get up. “You’re beautiful, Adrienne.” She looked at me with wide eyes.

“Thank you,” she said quietly. I didn’t know what she meant by that or how she felt after I said so but I’m glad I said it. I heard the intercom once more, “Arriving at Wilcox Station.” That’s one more stop. I just met Adrienne but I didn’t want to leave her. But I couldn’t stay on the train and miss my stop. I sighed, “I have to go.” She nodded her head, maybe she didn’t want to be friends anymore. I always ruin everything. Adrienne was so cool and I ruined any chance I had with her. I felt tears well up in my eyes so I quickly got up and walked towards the door so my back was facing her. She probably hates me.

I walked off the train and turned around to look through the sliding doors. I saw Adrienne sitting in the same spot where I left her. She gave me a toothless smile and a small wave before the train started to take off. Maybe she didn’t hate me after all. I stood there, still. Adrienne made me nervous. She was beautiful. She had hair like my sister, a laugh like my mother but most of all she didn’t think of me as fragile. As the train completely passed, what I saw made me laugh. There were four bare trees in front of me, they looked beautiful. A fading brown with snow on the branches. They were beautiful in their own way, just like Adrienne. I left. Walking towards Mother’s house was hard. It was cold. I should’ve put on a thicker jacket. Mother told me that before I left home but I didn’t listen. I should’ve listened. I walked up the creaky door steps which led up to her porch and knocked on her door three times. After about ten seconds, I was greeted with my smiling Mother and a warmth that I couldn't wait to be engulfed in.

“Mother,” I said, trying to contain my excitement. “I met a girl on the train and her name was Adrienne.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.