Who's to Know if Your Soul Will Fade at All | Teen Ink

Who's to Know if Your Soul Will Fade at All

March 6, 2011
By midnightpoet, odenville, Alabama
More by this author
midnightpoet, Odenville, Alabama
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

The author's comments:
I'm really sorry about how short this chapter is and I promise they will get longer soon.

Pale skin, light blond hair, and blue-green eyes were all she could see as she looked in the mirror, and with shaking hands she unscrews the top of a bottle of pills. Prescription sleep-aids for a sixteen-year-old Kari-rose, prescribed because of her endless insomnia that she would swear to the end of her life she didn't know the cause of. How quickly that end had arrived. Her eyes were dead, listless, empty. Just minutes before, she had done her make-up and put on the dress she had planned to wear to prom.

"Might as well leave a decent-looking corpse," she had reasoned.

Kari poured out the contents of the bottle of pills, then checked her phone once more before she ended it all.

'Answer the phone...', 'text me back!', 'I love you! Please don't... I need you', were the last three texts she'd gotten, out of the twenty unread messages. Michael, her boyfriend and fiance, was pleading with her not to end her life, as was his twin brother, Montgomery. Fat tears rolled down her cheeks, onto her phone, and her sobs shook her entire body as she heard two distinct voices in her mind, both familiar and male. One quiet and calm, but persistently saying, "Kitten. Flush. The. Pills. Now.", causing her to shake her head violently and pop three pills into her mouth in an effort of rebellion. The other seemed to be crying with her, pleading and begging with her, "Angel don't, please don't. You promised that you would never do this if I never left your side! If I was always your friend, you'd never do this, you promised me! You made an oath...."

The guilt caused her to take a handful of the pills and swallow them with a giant swig of root beer. She snatched up her phone, wanting to say her goodbyes while she was still coherent. Just as she started to slip in and out of consciousness she texted Michael her address and directions as quickly as she could, asking him to save her. She told Montgomery not to shed a single tear for her, and clicked send as her vision went completely black and her head thudded against the floor.

She could hear the sirens but they sounded so distant, as if they were merely a memory. She tried to focus on them, to open her eyes, to wake up from this awful nightmare. Reality hadn't set in that this night hadn't been just a dream, that she really had overdosed on sleep-aids, and she really just might die.
"Kari? Kitten, please wake up.." a voice muffled by sobs pleaded. Kari knew she needed to open her eyes. She felt like everything would be all better If only she'd open her eyes, that everything depended on this small action. She struggled and managed to open them for a moment and looked up into the dark cocoa brown eyes of her love, Micheal.
"You came..." she managed to whisper in a hoarse voice, her lips barely moving. Her eyes stung and she felt tears begin to roll down her face and into her hair.
Micheal quickly kissed her, putting all his love into it as tears flooded his eyes, "Oh thank God, you're okay! I didn't think I'd be there in time...."
She tried to kiss him back but her lips had stopped cooperating once more. She blinked back more tears as she looked into his eyes again before slipping back into unconsciousness. She vaguely recognized the sirens silencing and the ambulance halting after a long while.
. . . . . . . .

The next thing she knew, she was being wheeled down a hall on a gurney. The pain in her stomach was excruciating and she felt like she was going to hurl, which in hindsight was a good thing. Kari gagged, choking on her tongue. Rolling onto her side she vomited, barely missing the person wheeling her down the hallway.
He merely patted her back and said softly, "Don't worry, sweetheart. Someone will clean it up, and any other messes you might make."
She rolled back over and saw Micheal and Montgomery walking alongside her, opposite of the side she'd leaned over to puke. She managed a weak smile and then she was wheeled into a room and placed in the bed. Nurses came in quickly and hooked up IV's. Kari didn't know what was going be put into her bloodstream but at that point she didn't care. She started shaking as they approached with the needles and then began to convulse. It was a side-effect of both the overdose and the fear of needles. She got a wild and panicked look in her eyes as she glanced at Micheal, pleading with her eyes to save her.
He shook his head and pinned her down, "I know you're afraid, I know... But the nurses are only helping you. I know you're scared of needles but this is going to help you get better." That only made Kari jerk and struggle more, fearing the needles more than the fear of losing her life.
Montgomery calmly walked over, "Pin her legs. I've got her arms." His arms felt as if they were steel, his hands steel around her forearms. His eyes locked with hers and she felt hypnotized by the cold look in his eyes, unable to move aside form the convulsions she couldn't control. "I can't believe you actually did this..." his voice unnaturally cold.
"Don't be so hard on her. She needs love and care right now, not you telling her how awful she is and saying how bad what she did is, because she has had every right to feel the way she has. It's not like you've done anything about your problem with making her feel awful and despised every time you get around her." Micheal said as he tried to hold her body down better.
Finally, the IV's were in and the convulsions had subsided for the moment. Kari had begun to cry again, wanting to speak but unable to get her mind and her mouth to cooperate enough to say anything. Micheal let go of her legs and sat next to her on the bed to wipe away her tears. "Please don't cry, Kitten... You'll be okay, I promise." He stroked her hair until she fell asleep, unable to keep her eyes open anymore.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


LorraineN.H. said...
on May. 16 2011 at 7:26 am
LorraineN.H., Circleville, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
The happiness of life is made up of minute fractions - the little, soon forgotten charities of a kiss or a smile, a kind look or heartfelt compliment.
Author: Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I really like this, let me know when you write more!

midnightpoet said...
on Mar. 13 2011 at 10:27 am
midnightpoet, Odenville, Alabama
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I sure will. The tense problems were because I kept having to switch between writing with my ipod and with my computer, and I'd get mixed up. But I have a better routine now and it shouldn't be a problem.

on Mar. 11 2011 at 3:31 pm
rainbowwaffles BRONZE, Stony Brook, New York
2 articles 0 photos 89 comments

I really like this so far. Your writing style is unique, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Just make sure to keep the same tense the whole way through. Besides that, good job!

Maybe you could check out my realistic fiction novel, The Formation, and let me know what you think? Thanks :)