Breaking Free | Teen Ink

Breaking Free

May 12, 2011
By SuperAsh BRONZE, Epping, Other
More by this author
SuperAsh BRONZE, Epping, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The police left her at the door of the camp. She carries her bag, her left wrist in a cast, tears in her eyes. She walks towards the registration table, as her memories weigh her down, not knowing whom she can trust. She walks…walks like she has no destination. At the registration table she receives a nametag that spells “ABBE” in big bold letters. All she wants to do is die; she’s got cuts all over her right arm. She feels hopeless. She is fed up will all the ‘sorry’s’ from people who don’t even care about the fact that she just lost both her parents in a brutal one way shoot out.

Abbe’s parents were both murdered. The murderer nearly killed Abbe by pushing her down the stairs, that’s how she broke her wrist. As Abbe walks slowly up to her room, number ‘12’ she once again fights back her tears. Her room seems spacious since there is only one other person present Saara who is Abbe’s room and group leader.
“Hi.” said Saara “which bed do you want, the other girls haven’t arrived yet?” continued Saara, as Abbe looks around the room. She chooses the bed closest to the door, but away from the other beds. She starts to make her bed. As she puts the final touches on her bed, a stuffed dog that her parents gave her when she was younger, she starts to cry. Since Saara is still present in the room, she walks over to Abbe and comforts her, saying nothing. She is afraid of making her more upset, but hoping that she will talk. After a few minutes Abbe calms down, when she stops crying completely Saara asks “Are you alright, do you want to talk about what’s bothering you? I am always here for you, just give me a shout…well…not a shout but you know what I mean.”
At this, Abbe starts to giggle and allows Saara to give her a much needed and deserved hug.

Suddenly there is a knock on the door
“Come in.” calls Saara, as she breaks away from the hug. The door opens to reveal Sandra the fantastic Salvo officer.
“Sandra!” exclaims Saara as she jumps up.
“Abbe, who dropped you off, no one, came in with you. It looked like you walked here?” questioned Sandra
“The police dropped me off,” answered Abbe “I couldn’t get a ride with my p…parents they were out on an important job.”
“What do they do if they can’t take you to camp?” enquired Saara
“They are police officers, mum is Constable Ally Blackburn and dad is Sergeant Tom Blackburn, and I am just their mere child,” replied Abe sadly.
“That’s understandable,” said Saara.

Once Sandra left, the other girls started to arrive. Abbe then left then with her sketchbook and pencils and went for a walk along the river. When she found a decent spot, she sat down and started to sketch. After about 20 minutes she heard someone calling her name, and out of nowhere Saara comes panting over and plops herself next to Abbe.
“What are you doing?” questioned Saara
“Sketching the flowing of the river.” replied Abbe.
“Wow that’s really good, can I have a look at your other art works?” asked Saara.
“Okay,” answered Abbe with a shrug, as she hands over her sketchbook to Saara to look through. While Saara looks though Abbe’s book of sketches, Abbe looks around her surroundings. With the occasional ‘oh’ and ‘ah’ from Saara, this makes Abbe smile. Until Saara asks “Are all these drawings of things you’ve seen, places you’ve been or places you would like to go?”
“Yes, why do you ask, you haven’t come across the picture with the shootout have you?” said Abbe with care
“Why, yes I have. What is the meaning of it?” inquired Saara
“I don’t want to talk about it, not yet anyway. I am not ready to express myself verbally; I think I will for the time being stick to art,” smiled Abbe.
“That’s alright, we have only known each other for a good few moments, but I am always here for you if you ever need to talk” said Saara warmly as she gives Abbe back her sketchbook. “Come on, let’s go meet the other girls!” encouraged Saara
“Okay,” sighed Abbe. So Saara and Abbe set off back to room ‘12’ were 6 other girls were waiting for Saara to return with the 7th girl…Abbe.

As Abbe and Saara walk up the stairs towards their room, there was a pecking sound coming from one of the windows. Abbe goes to investigate with Saara following close behind.
“Rosie!” exclaimed Abbe in surprise, “What are you doing here, aren’t you suppose to be finding your dinner by now. What do you want?”
As Abbe opens the window she puts her hand out, so Rosie can climb onto her arm.
“Who’s this Abbe?” asked Saara
“Oh, right I almost forgot, this is my best friend Rosie, my Rosella. I had to bring her to camp; I couldn’t leave her with the police. Don’t worry she knows how to catch her own food and is very independent.” added Abbe once she saw that Saara was shocked.
“Off you go now Rosie, go and eat. See you tonight at bed time.” said Abbe sternly. Rosie, who is a very obedient bird, flies off to find her dinner.
“That wa…was your bird?” stumbled Saara
“Yes, I think I just said that,” replied Abbe
“Right…yes, sorry. It’s just I have never seen a bird so…so obedient as…”
“Rosie.” said Abbe
“Yes…Rosie. How old is she?” questioned Saara
“She’s only three years old, but she is ready to find a mate and have babies.” smiled Abbe a little dreamily.
“We should go to the room before we have to go down for our dinner.” reminded Saara, as Abbe closes the window once Rosie flew out to catch her dinner.

Once they got back to the room Abbe was overcome with “hi” and “nice to meet you” from the other six girls, the girls are, Sam, Jess, Lilly, Hannah, Claire and Megan. The other girls were all so bubbly and happy it nearly made Abbe cry. When the dinner bell sounded every one headed down stairs. Once Abbe got down the stairs Sandra was waiting for her.
“You have a phone call Abbe.” She said
Abbe nodded and walked over to were the phone was off the hook.
“Hello?” asked Abbe
“Is this Abbe Blackburn, blond hair, green eyes, ‘12’4cm tall, age 14, daughter of Ally and Tom Blackburn?”
“Yes… how may I help you? Who are you?” questioned Abbe
“This is Allen Cawfield, head of Foster Care Australia. I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into foster care. We have helped one thousand children aged 0-17 who have lost their parents or…”
“Look… I don’t want to be put into a foster home or an orphanage I just want to live in my house ALONE! GOOD DAY SIR!” said Abbe rudely as she slammed down the phone. Abbe runs back up stairs towards her room, but before she turns down the corridor she hears a pecking sound by one of the windows, she turns and sees Rosie.

“Hey, Rosie, do you want to come in for a while, I need your company anyway, come on that’s a good bird.” said Abbe quietly as she opens the window so Rosie can fly in and down to Abbe’s room, while Abbe closes the window. When Abbe gets top her room she’s over come with fear and takes out her pocket knife and tries to kill herself again, but Rosie flies out of the room and down the stairs to were Saara is eating. When Rosie enters the dining room a few people squeal, which makes Saara look up just in time to see Rosie fly towards her, squawking and flapping around her head frantically.
“What is it Rosie, is Abbe in trouble?” asked Saara a little scared
Rosie flies off and Saara has no choice but to follow Rosie. Rosie leads Saara back up to room ‘12’ were Abbe is laying on the floor unconscious with the pocket knife in her hand, with blood dripping of it.
“OH. MY. GOD. What have you done to you self Abbe? Rosie can you take a message to Nurse Mim?” asked Saara as she tries to find some paper and a pen. Once she finds some paper and a pen she begins to scribble some words down, only stopping to read it briefly before giving it to Rosie.
“Give this to the first person you see please.” encouraged Saara as she gives the folded up piece of paper to Rosie.

Once Rosie flies off only then does she turn to the unconscious Abbe who is still on the floor.
“I wish you had come to talk to me Abbe before you tried this. Please wake up Abbe, come on Abbe.” wailed Saara
A few minutes later Nurse Mim comes running through the door with her first aid kit.
“OH. GOOD LORD, who…how…what happened?” stumbled Mim, who was shocked to see Abbe lying on the ground with a blanket covering up most of her. Abbe’s face has gone deathly white and she is hardly breathing do to the lost of blood. Nurse Mim kneels down beside Abbe and begins to clean the wounds as best as she can. While the nurse is working on Abbe, Rosie flies in with Sandra following shortly after. As Rosie flies in Saara looks up and stretches out her hand and allows Rosie to climb up onto her shoulder.

When Sandra comes in she nearly faints at the smell of blood.
“What happened, will Abbe be alright?” questioned Sandra weakly, but no one answers. Sandra walks quietly over to were Saara is sitting with her eyes closed praying her heart out, and Sandra joins her. Finally when Nurse Mim finishes she said “All we can do now is let her rest and pray, Saara which one is Abbe’s bed?”
Only then does Saara open her eyes
“That one over by the door is Abbe’s bed, but I think it would be best if I was a little closer to her so I can keep an eye on her. Don’t you think?” replies Saara
“Yes I think that will be wise. There is a spare bed next to yours, can we put Abbe on your bed for now Saara, at least until we change over the beds?” agrees Mim
“Yes, that will be fine. The other girls will be back soon so we have to be quick.” replied Saara sternly
So they remade Abbe’s bed so that she is closer to Saara, while Abbe is sleeping peacefully in Saara’s bed with Rosie keeping an eye on Abbe. Once Abbe’s new bed is made they transfer her to her new bed, with the help of Jimmy another one of Abbe’s group leader. They moved Abbe just in time, because the other girls started to come back from dinner. When the last girl comes through the girl Saara sits everyone down and explains what happened while dinner was taking place. Everyone was nearly in tears by the end of the story.

“I think we should pray for Abbe now.” suggested Jess
“Yes.” agreed everyone almost at the same time.
So everyone bowed their heads and closed their eyes and began to pray.
After everyone finished praying they all filed out of the room to head over to the hall for their night activities.

While the activities are running Saara dabs Abbes head with a damp cloth, while feeding Rosie fruit and talking to her. Just before the girls return Saara falls asleep by Abbe’s side with Rosie by the door keeping an eye on Abbe and Saara. When all the girls arrive, Sandra walks in and said “Can you lot please get your PJ’s on and meet me in the lounge room at the end of the corridor. I need to talk to you. Try not to wake Saara up.” warned Sandra

Everyone gets their PJ’S on and as a group they head down to the lounge room were Sandra is waiting for them.
“Good you’re all here. Now listen carefully. All of you know Abbe has tried to commit suicide and is now on the barrier between life and death. If any of you are present when Abbe wakes up, then I want you immediately to tell Saara, Nurse Mim or myself. When you are in the room try and keep the noise level down as much as possible. Does that make sense?”
“Yes!” chimed all of room ‘12’ girls
“Good, now off you go. Get a good night sleep. You have a BIG day tomorrow.” Said Sandra happily

So the girls headed back to their room and went to bed with Saara still by Abbe’s side and Rosie, who has made herself comfortable in Saara’s blankets. Saara wakes the next morning with a stiff neck. She looks around her room to see that Abbe is still asleep along with the other girls. Saara looks at her watch to see that it is only 2:13 in the morning.

She stands up to stretch her stiff limbs, only then does she realize that Rosie is asleep on her bed. So Saara scoops up Rosie and carefully places her on Abbe’s bed trying not to wake either of them. Since Saara couldn’t be bothered to change she goes back to bed in the clothes she is wearing, she falls asleep almost instantly.

The next time Saara wakes up it’s because she hears someone walking around the room. When she looks at were Abbe should be sleeping she find the bed empty. At this site Saara jumps out of bed, she runs out of the room and down the hall to where she thinks Abbe might be. When she sees that Abbe is out on the balcony she walks carefully over, trying not to startle her.
“Hi Abbe, how are you feeling?” asks Saara carefully
“I’m a bit sore but other than that I am fine. I don’t even remember what happened after I got a phone call last night during dinner, can you tell me?” asks Abbe a little worried
“As far as I can tell, you tried to kill yourself, does that jog you memory?” questioned Saara
“Yes, I am sorry I caused such a fright, I wasn’t thinking straight. I couldn’t take life anymore. You see two days ago I witnessed my parent’s brutal death. They were shot, I nearly died myself, they didn’t shoot me like they did to my parents, they pushed me down the stairs, that’s how I broke my wrist. I was just so frustrated on why they were killed. You see the police wouldn’t tell me. Yesterday I did tell the truth a little. My parents are police officers; maybe that’s why they were killed. Maybe that got someone upset or something which led to death. I don’t know. I don’t really want to talk about it now maybe later. The reason that I am out here is because I wanted to watch the sunrise. I do that every morning with or without my parents. It’s that only thing that I do with them. I spend most of the time at other people’s houses. Watching the sunrise is something I would like to keep up, at least in memory of them. That is if I am allowed.” explained Abbe
“Yeah. That should be fine. I’m sorry about your parents, it’s so sad that people die like that. Well, by the end of camp I would like you to have talked to me and tell me all about how your feeling. If I may ask, what was the call all about last night?” asked Saara
“The phone call was from a guy from Foster Care Australia, just to tell me that I have been accepted into their association. I didn’t talk to him. I hung up after he said were he was from. I didn’t want to hear of it. You can understand that can’t you?”
“Yes I can. Oh I wished you had talked to me before you had killed yourself. I was worried sick. You had all of us worried. Where is Rosie by the way?” asked Saara
“She has gone to get herself some breakfast, speaking of food, I’m starving, when is breakfast?” questioned Abbe
“Breakfast is at 8:00, so that’s… let’s see its 6:30 now so there’s an hour and a half until breakfast. Look at the sun isn’t it beautiful?”
“Yes, but I have see better sunrises than this, up on the mountains that’s where the breathe taking ones are.” replied Abbe
“Is that Rosie over there with what looks like a fruit of some sort in her claws?” asked Saara
“Yes, I think it’s a passion fruit, what Rosie’s carrying.”
When Rosie arrives to were Saara and Abbe are sitting, Rosie gives Abbe the passion fruit to eat.
“Thanks Rosie. You do know what I like and dislike, don’t you. Yes you do. Passion fruit is my favorite fruit.” added Abbe as she peals the fruit. They sit and watch the sunrise until Abbe starts shivering.
“Come on lets go inside where it’s warmer, you’ll catch a cold out here.” prompted Saara

So Saara and Abbe go back inside and head back to room ‘12’ were the other girls are only just starting to wake up. At 8:00 Abbe, Saara and the other girls heard down to breakfast. Abbe was relieved to see that there was not phone call waiting for her. Saara takes Abbe by the hand and leads her to a seat near the front of the dining room, Saara sits next to her. While breakfast is on Rosie keeps watch outside.
For breakfast Abbe has two bowls of cereal, two pieces of toast with jam and a glass of orange juice. After breakfast Abbe goes outside to were Rosie is perched.
“Come on Rosie time to come inside.” coaxed Abbe
“Tweet!” replies Rosie, as she flaps to Abbe and land on the shoulder.
Abbe then takes Rosie inside and up the stairs to the bathroom; there Abbe gives Rosie her daily groom. While Abbe is doing that a police car pulls up outside the door of camp. A man and woman step out of the car in their blue uniform and sparkling silver badges of importance. They walk briskly towards the door were Sandra is waiting for them.
“Good morning ma'am, I am Officer Chris Blockwich and this is my partner Officer Kate Duncan. We have come as you know to speak to Abbe.”
“Yes… yes come in, I’ll just go get her.” replied Sandra
Sandra leads the two police officers into the building and into an office type room.
“Please make yourself comfortable while I go and fetch Abbe, were ever she is.” said Sandra before she left the room. Abbe was still grooming Rosie in the bathroom when Sandra enters room ‘12’
“Where’s Abbe?” asked Sandra
“I think she’s in the bathroom with Rosie.” answered Sam
“Okay, Saara do you think you can find Abbe and take her to the office downstairs. There are some people here to talk to her.” instructed Sandra
“Okay, Jess can you pass me that small hand towel on Abbe’s bed so Abbe can dry Rosie.” asked Saara

When Jess gives Saara the hand towel that Abbe left on her bed, Saara leaves the room and head to the bathroom were Abbe is just finishing up. Saara notices that in the sink is what looks like a bundle of wet multicoloured tissues.
“Hey, Abbe, you forgot Rosie’s towel.” said Saara when she realises that the bundle in the sink is actually Rosie dripping wet.
“Thanks Saara.” replied Abbe
“Abbe, there are some people downstairs waiting to talk to you, are you almost finished. You can bring Rosie with you and dry her off downstairs.” said Saara
“Okay, are you coming too? I have a feeling I know who the visitors are. If I am right then they are some police officers.”
“Yes I am coming with you, Sandra wants me too. Come on best not to keep them waiting much longer.” replied Saara
So Abbe, Saara and the drenched Rosie who is wrapped in a towel walk down stairs to where the police officers are waiting. Once Abbe saw who they are she said “I am warning you now, that if I can’t take it anymore I am walking out.”
“Okay, just promise me this that you won’t go and kill yourself. If you fell like doing it scream your head off.:”
“Yes I promise.” replied Abbe

As Abbe and Saara walk into the office officer Kate Duncan and Chris Blockwich stood up and introduced themselves to both Abbe and Saara.
“Abbe we have come to talk to you about the arrangements that happen after you finish camp. After all you can’t live by yourself because you’re under age.” said Kate
“I am telling you now that I am NOT going to a foster home or an orphanage under any circumstance. GOT THAT.” replied Abbe
“I understand that your still overcoming your great lost, but you must understand that is it against the law for a person your age to live alone.”
“I don’t care about the law. I know all about the law for goodness sake, parents were police officers. They were a higher position than both of you. Yet the law doesn’t stop anyone from doing harm whether it’s against the law or not. Why isn’t anyone telling me how or what caused my parents death. Don’t you think I have a right know? So for the last time I AM NOT GOING TO A FOSTER HOME. GOT THAT.” Yelled Abbe as she picks up Rosie and walk out of the room, and head outside to the river so Abbe can calm down and finish drying off Rosie. Saara however stayed behind with the police officers to talk to them about alternatives on where Abbe could go. Down by the river Abbe is carefully drying Rosie
‘Sorry you had to stay wet for so long.” apologized Abbe as she lets Rosie fly off.

With Rosie gone and Saara back inside, Abbe picks up some pebbles and skips them along the river. When she gets bored of that she takes off her socks and shoes and dangles her feet in the river and sits back and relax, listening to the movement of the river and surrounding wildlife. She does this until Saara comes looking for her, this is about twenty minutes. When Saara finally finds Abbe she joins her by the river and takes off her shoe’s and sock’s and also dangles her feet in the water and listens to her surroundings. After another 20 minutes Saara says “Come on Abbe we need to talk. Let’s walk and talk before I fall asleep.” Saara doesn’t realise that Abbe has already fallen asleep, seeing Abbe asleep makes Saara feel drowsy and within minutes Saara too is asleep in the late morning sun. It was around noon when Abbe woke again. She looked at Saara who was still asleep. Abbe then stands up and brushes off the leaves that have fallen while she was sleeping. As she gets up she accidentally knocks Saara who is now awake too. When Saara opens her eyes and looks at Abbe and smiles, and stands up as well.
“We need to walk and talk now before we dose off again like last time.” said Saara
“Okay fine, were do you want to go. Along the river is a nice walk, shall we head off?” asks Abbe

Abbe and Saara set off alone the river. At first they walk in silence not sure who was going to talk or what they were going to talk about.
“You know how to pick nice places to walk, don’t you?”
“Hmmm, have you ever been to Falls Creek at Lake Mountain?”
“No, I don’t think I have. Maybe one day you’ll take Me.” answered Saara
“Yeah, I know the way off by heart. I use to go there all the time with my parents before… well you know.” said Abbe
“Yeah, about that Abbe, after you left I was discussing with the police about other alternatives. Do you think you would feel more comfortable staying with some of your friends? At least you will be with people you know. Do you have any school friends that you wouldn’t mind living with for a while?” asks Saara
“No I don’t have any friends at school. They all know that my parents are police officers and they don’t want to be my friends because of that, and also because I am a nerd.
“Oh okay, umm. You go to church right?” questioned Saara
“Yeah I do. But I don’t think anyone would want me to live with them. They have their own families. So why would they want me to intrude in on their family?” asked Abbe
“Abbe do they even know that you just lost both your parents?” asked Saara
“No I haven’t been for a few weeks.” replied Abbe
“How come you hadn’t gone for a few weeks? Is it because of your parent’s job?” asked Saara
“Yes, they have been very busy up until their death. I live about fifteen minutes away from church and they don’t let me walk there because they use to be over protective, they always were. Now that they are gone I am going to miss not having them to tell me off, and worrying about me when I am home late from school. If they are home.” says Abbe
As Abbe tries not to cry again, Saara thinks of another solution to the whole faster care problem.
“How about this, I stay at my house and every few days a police comes and checks on me and takes me shopping for food, that’s way the police can still keep an eye on me and I don’t have to abandon my home.”
“I don’t think that’s a possibility, unless you know were a police officer lives.”
“I know that one of my Dad’s best mate lives a street away, if that’s helps, he is also a police officer.”
“Maybe, I’ll have to ask them. They are coming back again tomorrow. They said not to tell you because they are afraid that you’ll freak out.” explained Saara
“I wouldn’t freak out I just would simply say I am not going, because they are ruining my life, which is what I am saying. They are ruining my life and I want them to stop and leave me alone.” said Abbe

Since Saara doesn’t know what to say to that they walk the rest of the way in silence. When they got back to camp there were people waiting for them at the doors of camp. Once Abbe saw who one of them was she ran up to him and kicked him in the groin. He fell to the ground with a groan. Abbe then ran past the police and disappeared up the stairs. Saara however walked up to the man and helped him to his feet.
“Sorry about that, Abbe’s been having a bad week.”
“Saara, this is the man who killed Abbe’s parents, she might have preconised him.”
“Oh, okay, that explains it, do you want me to go up and talk to her? Why did you bring him here?”
“We thought that Abbe might have wanted to talk to him and besides he wanted to talk to her before he goes to jail for manslaughter.”
“Okay I’ll go and talk to her before she does some damage to herself.”
Saara then left to find Abbe in her room with Rosie on the floor Abbe turns around as the door opens
“Please don’t yell at me for kicking that…that…murderer. Jordan should have known that I would try and hurt him. Do you even know what that mad did or did he forget to tell you?
“Yes I don’t know what he did to you. He killed your parents, but Abbe do you know why he is here? He is here to see you…to talk to you and say what went through him mind when he broke the law. Please come down stairs and at least hear him out. I will be there with you every step of the way unless you don’t want me there.”
After what seemed like an eternity of silence but really it was only a few minutes Abbe replied
“Okay fine I will go down stairs and hear him out.”
“Do you want me to be there with you or do you want me to wait outside the door?”
“Ummm…I will be fine I want to try this by myself, I feel like I am a burden on you because you are always chasing after me when I run away.”
“Abbe! You are not a burden you are a friend in need of a friend, it’s Christian like to help other people in need.”
“I feel like that I need to do this one by myself, if that’s okay”
“That’s fine Abbe, that’s all you have to say, but I will let you know this, if you need me I will only be around the corner all you have to do is shout of my name and I will come running to you.”
“Thanks Saara, it’s good to know that I have a friend through this tough time, should we go down stairs now.”
“Yeah, we shouldn’t let them wait much longer.”
So Abbe and Saara left the room and headed down stairs to where Jordan and the police officers are.
“Abbe… I am so sorry for what I did to you and your family…”
“MY FAMILY…MY FAMILY. I DON’T EVEN HAVE A FAMILY BECAUSE OF YOU.”
“I am sorry Abbe. I wasn’t thinking. I was only doing it for drugs…for cocaine…for… marijuana… for…tobacco for any type of drugs that I could get my hands on. The only way that I could get drugs was by doing the job, because I didn’t have the money. I am out of a job and I don’t have money coming in through the government.”
“Right, okay so you killed my parents who just happened to the only family I had left and when you killed them I am became an orphan. I am not sure that I can forgive you straight away or ever. Tell me this…I know that selling drugs is illegal let alone consume them. Tell me who are you getting the drugs from.”
“I can’t tell you. When I started to take drugs I was forced into signing a contract saying that under no circumstances am I to tell who I am getting the drugs from.”
“But it doesn’t matter if you brake the contact now because you are going to jail for the rest of your pathetic life.”
“Okay fine, I was getting the drugs from a guy called Matthew Grendlement.”
“Do you have that now officers? I have done you guys a huge favour now can you please leave me be so I can get on with my life.”
With that Abbe left the room and went in search to find Saara. When Abbe left the room the police officers seized Jordan and dragged him to the police car, when Jordan saw Abbe he called out “Do you forgive me Abbe, at least tell me that. Do you forgive me?”
“Yes Jordan I am forgiving you because you were under the influence of drugs and they make your mind go crazy, I know that because my parents use to tell me all kinds of stories about people using drugs and what happens to their bodies. Jordan do you understand why you are going to jail. You are going to jail now because one you murdered two people and two you are taking illegal drugs.” said Abbe soberly
“Yes Abbe I know why I am going to jail, but Abbe can you please come and visit me in jail or at least write to me. You are just like your parents. They would be proud of you; once again I am sorry for what I have done to you. You are a very kind and forgiving young lady. It takes great skills to forgive so quickly and to someone who have done wrong, and I am grateful for your kindness. I best be going I have twenty years in jail that I must pull through.” says Jordan gloomily
“Yes, just one more thing…you know that you don’t have to go through all this alone, there is a fantastic person called Jesus Christ he can and will help you through your twenty years in jail. All you have to do is pray and read the bible.”
“But I don’t have a bible, is there such a person as Jesus Christ?”
“Yes and I will buy you a bible and give it to you in jail, I am sure they will let you go to church at some stage, I am such there are Christian criminals in jail that you can get to know and go to jail with. All you have to do is ask around. Now go on get out of here I have something to attend to. Thank you officers for bringing Jordan to visit Me.” says Abbe

Jordan then gets into the police car and so do the police officers and they drive off leaving a cloud of dust around Abbe. Abbe doesn’t move until the dust settles again in its rightful place. Rosie flies own from her tree and settles to where she thinks is her rightful place…on Abbe’s shoulder. Coming up from behind is Saara.
“How did it go?” questions Saara
This startles Abbe, which causes her to turn around so fast that Rosie just falls of Abbe’s shoulder with a light high pitch squawk.
“Oh, sorry Abbe I didn’t mean to scare you or Rosie.” apologizes Saara
“It’s okay; I wasn’t paying much attention anyways. Things went well. I found out that when he killed my parents he was under the influence of drugs, illegal drugs of that which is against the law, may I say. The only way that he can get drugs was to do dirty jobs for a man called Matthew someone, oh and I forgave him too. He was forever grateful that I forgave him, and he wants me to visit him in jail or at least write to him. I guess I do owe him for telling me all the information that I wanted to know. Sorry I am rambling on. Come on say something!” rambles Abbe
“What do you want me to say, there isn’t much to say. Do you want to do some activities? Like the high ropes course, flying fox, giant swing or go Yabbying” suggests Saara
“What is Yabbying?” asks Abbe
“It’s where you go and try to catch Yabbies? replies Saara
“Do we get to eat what we catch, because I like eating Yabbies, they taste like chicken.” wonders Abbe
“I think we can arrange something, so what do you want to do?” asks Saara
“I think I will try Yabbying, because I love eating the Yabbies afterwards…like I said they taste like chicken!” states Abbe
“Okay, you might want to get into some older clothes before the group goes, while you go and change I will let the person in charge of the activity know that you are coming.” Says Saara

So Abbe goes and gets changed into some older clothes that are more suitable for Yabbying and getting wet just in case she falls into the river. Once she does that she heads back down stairs to where Saara said her group would be meeting, and sure enough there was Saara talking to a much older man in the uniform of a camp staff.
“Here she is…Abbe this is Josh he will be taking you Yabbying, he guaranties that you will catch at least five Yabbies. So are you ready to get down and muddy.” jokes Saara
“Yep, aren’t you coming too?” questions Abbe
“No I am staying back and watching the High Ropes people, but you can tell me all about it when you come back. Just promise me one thing…that you try and NOT fall into the river.” replies Saara
“I will try not to, but you never know what might happen. But I will try and stay safe. Is there anyone else coming Josh?” says Abbe
“Yes there should be four more kids coming, Ahhh go, here they are… Kim, Damian, Kit and Anthony this is Abbe. She will be joining. Now let’s gets get going before time runs out.” encourages Josh

So the five kids set out in search of some Yabbies to catch. When they get to their destination Josh goes through all the equipment that they will be using to catch Yabbies. There is a net, some bait, some gloves, some tongs and a bucket full of water. They each get allocated a different spot along the river so they can catch their own Yabbies.
“Hey, Abbe have you ever eaten a Yabby before?” asks Damian
“Yes I have, it tastes like chicken. They are really good steamed, but I have never tried it fried. Have you ever eaten one?” questions Abbe
“No I never thought people eat them, I thought they were just something that we catch and then let them go again.” admits Damian
“No people do eat them, mainly the Aboriginals do but my family eat them to. You should try it some time.” encourages Abbe

After that every one works in silence only with the occasional telling off or praising from Josh as he goes around to either checking on how people are going or helping them out as they get tangled up in their net. After about two hours Josh called everyone in to explain how they clean up. At this time Abbe has caught about a dozen Yabbies. It then takes Abbe 10 minutes to clean up. After which it is time to head back to camp and get ready for dinner. When Abbe and the other kids get back to camp they all head off to the kitchen together to see if the cook can cook the Yabbies.

Kim gets hers fried along with Kit’s and Damian’s while Anthony gets his grilled and Abbe gets her steamed. While this is taking place Abbe goes up stairs to her room and gets changed out of her damp clothes and puts on some dry and comfortable clothes for dinner. Just when she was going to head down stairs Saara enters the room
“How was Yabbying? Did you fall in the river? How many did you catch?” questions Saara
“Hold on a woman can only answer one question at a time. Yabbying was fun, I didn’t fall in the river, no one did of that and I caught a dozen Yabbies which are being steamed up right now for my dinner.” Replies Abbe

At this the dinner bell rings and we all head down stairs for dinner. The Yabbies were ready for the people who did Yabbying to eat. Abbe went to collect her Yabbies and headed towards the table Saara is sitting at. After they said grace Abbe started to eat while everyone else had to wait until they were told they could go up to the serving station and collect their food. Everyone who went Yabbying tried there Yabbies but didn’t like them so they gave there Yabbies to Abbe who loved Yabbies no matter how they are cooked. By the end of dinner Abbe had about twenty Yabbies cook three different ways, fried, grilled and steamed. After dinner Abbe was one of the first ones to leave because she had to feed Rosie before night fall. When Abbe got to her room Abbe had an uninvited visitor…the head of Abbe’s mum
“AHHHHHHHHHH” screamed Abbe
“What is it Abbe, oh my God.” said Saara
“How…how did she get there, no one came in during dinner did they?” asks Abbe
“I don’t know Abbe, but I do know this we need to get that head out of here before any of the other girls come back from dinner” replies Saara
“AHHHHHHHHH” screamed voices from behind
“I think it’s a little too late for that Saara.” said Abbe, her voice a little shaky

Saara had already left the room to go and get Sandra or Mim depending on who’s available and remove the dead head. Abbe however walked over to the door and closed it. Then went over to the head and touched it, only then did she realise that it was a fake, made out of wax with a bit of ketchup as the blood dripping off the neck of the head.
“HAHAHA, very funny whoever you are. Who ever put this wax head still here please come out so I can see who you are and tell the police maybe.” says Abbe to herself
No one answered to Abbe’s call all she heard was silence and the occasional chirping sound of a bird or the passing by of a car. A few minutes later Saara comes back with both Sandra and Mim.
“It's okay it’s only a wax head with ketchup as blood, someone put it there to scare me probably. If they did do it to scare me then the succeeded in it, I was scared as. It’s an exact replicate of my mum’s head to by the way.” says Abbe
“Abbe how do you know it’s a wax head though?” asks Sandra
“I touched it. It didn’t feel like a normal person’s head, it’s skin it too hard to be a normal person’s skin. Do you want to feel?” replies Abbe
“No thanks I’ll be alright, but at least we know it’s a false alarm, and we don’t have to get the police involved again.”
“I wouldn’t allow you to get the police involved again anyways; I have had enough with them. All they care about it there jobs and not the people they are suppose to look after. They came into my life to ruin it, even though my parents were police officers but that’s not the same.” sniffled Abbe.

When Saara realised that Abbe was starting to cry again, she signalled to Sandra and Mim to leave and close the door behind them. Then Saara walked calmly over to Abbe and draped her arm over and sunk to the floor with Abbe in her arms as Saara rocked Abbe back and forth to try and sooth her. Finally Abbe starts to calm down a bit.
“You know that was funny when you realised that it was a wax head not a real one.” giggles Saara
“Yeah, I know I was laughing my head off when you went to find Sandra and Mim.” replies Abbe

For a few minutes Abbe and Saara sat in silence and thought about nothing in particular…well…Abbe thought about who she could possible live with if they would adopt her and Saara was thinking about who could have possible have put the wax head there while everyone was eating dinner, no one left the dining room during dinner not that she saw but she could always ask around of course. After about five minutes of silence there was a knock at the door, then the door open ajar and in popped the head of a Samantha who is a girl in Abbe’s night walk that she signed up for.
“Abbe we will be leaving for our night walk in ten minutes, make sure you rug up for it does get chilly were we are going and bring a torch if you have one. Oh and sturdy walking shoes, we will be meeting outside in the parking lot, just look for a lot of flashlights going all over the place and that would most likely be then night walkers group which is our group. Did you get that?” asks Samantha
“Rug up, sturdy walking shoes, ten minutes and meet outside in the parking lot yep see you soon.” relays Abbe
“Okay cool see Yeah soon.” replies Samantha
“Shoot I almost forgot I still haven’t fed Rosie yet tonight. Now where is she?” realizes Abbe
“Tweet, tweet” came a voice from above the bunk beds.
Abbe looks up and sees Rosie perching on one of the bunk beds by the door.
“Are you ready for your dinner now; I think I still have one or two Yabbies for you. Now where did I put then? Ahhh, there they are.” says Abbe
“Tweet, tweet.” said Rosie as she gobbled the Yabbies up in whole.
“You greedy bird, I thought I taught you some manners missy?” said Abbe, though Rosie didn’t reply but just continued eating her tasty dinner. Abbe then gets her sketch book and begins sketching the wax head when Saara walks in.
“What are you drawing now Abbe? Let’s have a look?” says Saara
“It’s nothing much yet…I am making a drawing of the wax head.” replies Abbe
“Why would you do that Abbe?” enquires Saara
“Because if you hold the wax head you would realise how light it is and shake it around there is something in it and I am going to find out what it is.” replied Abbe
“Oh ok, will you crack open the head while on camp or wait until you get home”
“I’ll do it when I get home the drawing will take me a while. That reminds me I have a hike to get to.” says Abbe
“Yes ok, do rug up please.” Says Saara
“Yes ok, see you later.” replies Abbe

Abbe the grabs her coat and runs down stairs and out the front door to were the night hike group is meeting. Once they go every one they set off on their hour hike. While Abbe was on the hike she came across four possums, three koalas and six different types of birds (including Rosie). While Abbe and Rosie are out on the night walk Saara sits down with her mum, Trish, her sister, Georgia and her brother, Nathan.
“How would you like to have an adopted sister?” asks Trish
“Are we talking about Abbe?” questions Georgina
“Yes, we all know by now that Abbe is an orphan, with all the police coming and going.” replied Trish
“Isn’t she the one that almost died in a coma?” asked Nathan
“Yes that is also her.” answered Saara
“So what do you think about having Abbe as a sister, because she has no were to go after camp so I was thinking that we adopt her.” asked Trish
“Does she know that you are asking us this?” asks Nathan
“No I don’t even know how she will respond when I ask her if she would like to live with us. That’s why I am asking you first. So, what do you think? Do you think you guys would want Abbe to come and live with us?” asks Saara
“Ummm, Yeah I am fine with it, I recon it will be good for Abbe to live with other kids and it will be fun to have an adopted sister. Come on Nathan it will be fun.”
“Ok, yeah she can live with us your right Georgina it will be fun.” says Nathan
“So it’s settled Abbe is going to be our newest member of our family along with Rosie of course.” says Trish
After that Trish, Georgina, Nathan and Saara leave the room to head down to supper, because the night walk group and all the other groups have finished. Saara goes on a hunt to find Abbe, but finds her asleep in her room with a half full cup of hot chocolate on the floor.
“Ahhh.” sighs Saara happily to see Abbe sleeping peacefully for one.

Over a time frame of thirty minutes everyone is either asleep or falling asleep. No one was talking; they were all too tired or excited to be going home. Although Abbe doesn’t have a home to go to…not yet anyways. At about three o’clock in the morning Abbe wakes up from bad dream. After about twenty minutes Abbe gives up on going back to sleep, so she gets up and walks out into the hall and down to the common room where there is a door that leads out onto the balcony. Abbe goes over to the door and steps out onto the balcony for some fresh air before sitting in a chair outside…she falls asleep outside in that chair. When Saara wakes up later in the morning she finds that Abbe isn’t in bed, but by this time Saara knows were Abbe might be. Saara steps out onto the balcony a few minutes later to find Abbe asleep in the chair with Rosie resting on her arms.
“Abbe…Abbe...wake up Abbe, it’s time to get up. We are going home today.” says Saara
Abbe slowly wakes up only to find Rosie asleep in her arms.
“What the hell, oh Yeah, I forgot I was out here. Man its cold!” giggles Abbe
“Come on lets go inside.” suggests Saara
Abbe carefully gets out of the chair without waking up Rosie. Once inside the room Abbe puts Rosie down on her bed and walks over to Saara’s bed and sits down.
“Why did you go outside last night?” questioned Saara
“I couldn’t sleep, so I went outside for some fresh air and I must have fallen asleep where I was sitting.” answered Abbe
“Abbe? How would you like it if you were to live with someone you actually know already?” questions Saara
“I don’t know... I haven’t really thoughts about it much. Why?” replies Abbe
“I was wondering if you would like to live with Georgina, Nathan, mum and me.” Asks Saara
“No…I couldn’t intrude in on your family, it’s not right.” states Abbe
“But…” continues Saara
“No Saara I can’t and that’s that.” argued Abbe
Saara didn’t ask again, because people were waking up and starting to pack up. Saara gives Abbe a big hug and Abbe climbs off Saara’s bed and carefully starts to pack up trying not to wake up Rosie. When the breakfast bell goes Abbe only just started to feed Rosie her breakfast.
“Come on Abbe, its breakfast time.” says Saara
“I will be down when I finish feeding Rosie.” replies Abbe
So Saara goes down stairs while Abbe stays behind. When Saara gets to the bottom f the stairs they are a pair of police talking to Sandra. Saara walks over to them and says,
“What’s happening, if you’re looking for Abbe then she is still up stairs feeding Rosie.” says Saara
“Ok, is Abbe coming down for breakfast?” asks Sandra
“Yes I think so. If this is about where she is going to live, then she can come and stay with my family, we don’t have a problem with that. She won’t be living with just me there is also my sister, Georgina, brother, Nathan and my mum, Trish.” says Saara
“We already have a place where Abbe is to stay. She will be leaving school, church, and moving to Frankston to live with the Mellven family. She will be attending a Christian school, so she can continue to fallow her faith. Also, she will be working on the family farm.” said one of the officers.
“But…what about her friends, I think Abbe needs to be with her friends more now than ever.” replies Saara
“We will talk to Abbe about it. She also needs to plan two funerals for her parent’s too.” says the other police officer
A few minutes later Abbe comes down the stairs holding Rosie tenderly.
“What happened Abbe, is everything alright?” asks Saara
“No, Rosie has hurt her wing need the first aid kit.” replied Abbe
“Yes, come with me.” said Saara
Abbe followed Saara to the first aid room, were Abbe bandages up Rosie’s wing.
“Abbe the police are here to take you to your new home. You will be living in Frankston, on a farm near a beach I am guessing. You will be attending a Christian Collage. You will also be leaving all your friends behind and an environment that you know and trust. Abbe, we may never see each other again, do you want that?” asks Saara
“No I know what they are going to try and do. They want me as far away as possible from the place where the memory of my parents death is, so they want me to be no were near my home…or…you.” says Abbe sadly
“Abbe you don’t have to go to Frankston you know that. You can just tell them that you don’t want to move that far. You know that you can always move in with my family.”
“I know. I have been thinking about that. I think I will accept your offer unless you have changed your mind. It’s ok if you have you know.”
“No I haven’t, that’s great Abbe I am so pleased that you will be living with Me.” smiles Saara
“Now all we have to do is to tell the police when they ask you to come with them to Frankston. Although…that shouldn’t be too hard.” Continues Saara
“No actually it isn’t, I know the police’s weak spots. Does your brother, sister and mum know about this and did they have a say in the decision?” questions Abbe
“Yes they did, while you were on your night walk I held a meeting with my family and we talked about it and we all agreed that you could come and live with us. They recon it will be fun have an adopted sister. Will Rosie be alright?” asks Saara
“Yeah she’ll be fine. I think she just sprained her wing. No flying do you hear Rosie?” says Abbe sternly
“Tweet” replies Rosie sadly
“We should be heading back to the dining room before all the food is taken.” Saara suggests
“Yep lets go.” replies Abbe
“Saara…thanks for convincing me into moving in with your family. I do think its was meant to happen”
“No worries God told that you were to live with us.”
Once Saara and Abbe with Rosie perched on her shoulder arrived at the dining room doors Abbe realised that the police officers were sitting next to Sandra and Nurse Mim.
“Come on, let’s go in and eat!” suggests Saara

Abbe, Saara and of course Rosie entered the dining room. When they reached their seat Abbe puts Rosie down and continues fallowing Saara us to the serving station to retrieve their breakfast and went back to sit down and begin eating. After everyone finished eating they cleared the table and went up to their rooms to finish packing. About ten minutes after Abbe entered her room to finish packing Rosie’s belongings the police came and knocked on the door of room ‘12’ once they realised who it was at the door everyone stopped what they were doing to see what they wanted.
“Abbe, we would like to talk to you.” Asked a police named Alice Stafford
“No, I know what you guys want. You are going to try and convince me to move to Frankston and leave all my friends behind. I don’t think so; I have made up my own mind. I am moving in with the Hawthorns. I am not open for negotiation because if you can see I am a little bit busy now so if you don’t mind I would like to get back to packing. Bye.” replied Abbe forcefully

With that the police left and Abbe was able to continue her packing. What Abbe doesn’t know is that the police are having interviews with Saara’s family members.
“Saara, what if…what if you don’t want me anymore? Will you put me up for adoption again?” asks Abbe
“No, Abbe I would never let you go through this again. Abbe I want you to know that you can talk to me about anything, that includes your first crush or if you feel like killing yourself again. You can talk to me.” replies Saara with a warm smile and hug.
At the end of the hour they were given after breakfast the bell went for them to meet in the main hall to await further instructions of what was happening next. Once Abbe told Rosie to stay in the room and not to try and fly with her wing she left to join the others in the main hall. In the hall Abbe sat at the back by the door just in case she has to leave for some reason. When Georgia realised that Abbe was sitting alone she goes and joins her.
“I am happy that we are able to get to know each other more. You most likely will have the bedroom in between Saara’s and mine. I wonder what we’re going to do about getting you stuff from one house to another. Ummm….. We can worry about that another time. Ohhh I am so excited about this I have never had a younger sister.” says Georgia
“I had a younger brother once but he died when I was 7. He was 14.” says Abbe showing no emotion
“What happened to him, how did he die? You know you don’t have to answer any of those questions.”
“He was in fire, he came out alive but he was so badly burned that he died on the way to hospital. Since his death my parents pushed me further away but I loved them with all my heart. Things were never the same and now with them gone, I feel more alone in the world than ever even after Tom died.” says Abbe showing no emotion
“Oh Abbe, I am so sorry. I…I didn’t know” says Georgia with sympathy
“It's ok no one knew, I have been keeping it a secret for a long time.” replies Abbe
“Abbe, do you know how to cook?” questions Georgia
“Yes, I would cook almost every day because my parents would be working almost every day; I also know how to clean too. I was the only one in my family that could and would clean. Oh and don’t worry I won’t have any friends over, never have and never will.” says Abbe
“What you never have any of your friends over from school, why?” replies Georgia
“It’s because I never had any friends because everyone at school knew my parents were police officers. Maybe it was a good idea to move to Frankston and change schools. No I am not moving in with people that I don’t know at all. Oh sorry I was talking to myself a bit there.” says Abbe sadly
“It's ok we all do that sometimes. It’s sad that people treat you differently because of what your parents did for living.” replies Georgia
“You get use to it after a while.” says Abbe
“Yeah but not one should treat you differently at all. Oh there starting now.” says Georgia
“Alright every one, I trust that you have a great few days here at camp, and I thank you all for coming. Now this is what is going to happen for the next two hours… you are going to split up into your bible groups that you were in the other day and you are going to fill out a sheet of paper that will go for 15 minutes. Then we will gather out by the picnic tables for further information. Ok, off you go.” says Sandra

With that everyone left the hall and gathered in there bible groups. On Abbes group, which Saara was a little late on getting to, were sitting by the pool gate under some shade that was provided by the palm trees in the garden by the fence that surrounds the pool trapping people in once they enter the pool through the gate. Once Saara did join her group and began to read Corinthians 12 only then did Abbe start paying attention and focused instead of getting caught up in her dream world and looking like she has been abducted by aliens (even though they don’t exist). After Saara finished reading she begins asking questions about the last few days and what they have learned and will take away in their knowledge. Every one said something like ‘Gods always with us’, or ‘he is capable of the impossible’ but when it came to Abbe she said two things. She said ‘that the power of prayer is powerful’ and ‘even though we may think that we should just give up even though we have lost almost everything and that there is no meaning to life to you, but you must go on for something good is to come your way if you just keep faith.’ They broke up with Abbes words ringing in their minds and went over to the picnic tables were Sandra was waiting for everyone to finish and join her. Saara’s group was the first to finish. As soon as Abbe was able to get away from everyone she walks down to a bridge down by a river. Once she is down there she stares into the river. After a while her mind goes through all the things that have happened over the past four days including today. After about ten minutes she left the bridge and went for a walk along the river away from the camp and everyone there. After a while she realises that she has strayed from the river and further into the surrounding trees, loosing were the river is, so she stays still and inspect her surroundings. When she finished that she remembers Rosie is out stretching her wings so she should be around here some were. Abbe debates with her mind whether or not to call for Rosie or try and find her way back by herself. Finally she decides so try and find her own way back by herself, for Rosie has taught her some skills about surviving out in the wood is you get lost. First she tries and finds some sort of animal track, but with no luck she sits down and rests.

While she is sitting down her mind races then after a while she realises that she couldn’t have gone too far from the river, so then she tries and retraces her step but that too doesn’t work either, so ones again she sits. Only this time she listens for water sounds, and in the distance she hears a splashing sound. She stands up and fallows the sound and makes is successfully back to the river, but she still has one more problem which was back to the camp. “Drat I never looked to see which way the watch was flowing.” says Abbe, “let’s see I think I was walking with the current so now I should walk against the current to get back to camp.” Abbe sets off walking against the currents to where she thinks camp is, after a five minute walk she comes to the bridge and further up she sees that no one has seen that she has gone missing. So she stays by the bridge for a while to continue thinking. Only then does she realise that she has her drawing bag with her. She takes her pad out and her pencil and starts drawing; she doesn’t know was she’s drawing but only what’s her hand taking her. After about three minutes she realises that’s she’s drawing what she saw when her parents were being killed. Abbe knows she should stop but her thinks otherwise and continues to draw. After a further twenty minutes of drawing she finally gives way to the grief, but she still tries to hide it no matter, even though there is no one about, for everyone over by the hall with Sandra and all the leaders. As Abbe watched the rest of the camp she realises that someone says something to Saara, by the look of Saara’s face it wasn’t anything good. Abbe then knew that that she has to get back to camp unnoticed, so she packs up and calls on Rosie, and within seconds Rosie comes soaring over to her and says “tweet” or in Abbes word ‘you call and I answer’
“Rosie I need to get back to camp unnoticed is that possible. If so can you please lead me? Oh and do remember that I can’t fly this time, remember last time when you forgot that I am not like you, so therefore I don’t have wings.” says Abbe
“Tweet” was the reply

So once Abbe finished packing up and takes one more look to were Saara is, then sets out with Rosie in the leading the way. After about a ten minute climb Abbe finds herself behind the hall. Bidding Rosie thanks she finished her journey by herself. Within minutes she is behind Saara, so she finds place where she can see and listens for the remainder of the time. Once everyone finished the activity it was time to say their goodbyes. During that time Saara comes over to where Abbe is and asks “where have you been?” questions Saara
“I have been here the whole time” Abbe replies
“No you weren’t. I couldn’t see you when I looked around!” says Saara
“You didn’t look behind you silly.” replies Abbe
“Oh didn’t I, oh my mistake sorry. Anyways let’s go say our goodbyes and get our luggage in the car shall we.” suggests Saara
“Are you sure you have enough room for me on the way home?” asks Abbe
“Yes we brought two cars because we couldn’t fit all the luggage all in one car so we brought both.” replies Saara
“Oh ok. Which car am I going in?” asks Abbe
“You will be travelling with me and Georgia. Nathan and his friend that he brought along well be travelling with mum.” says Saara
“Ok, I’ll sit in the back and let Georgia sit in the front.” states Abbe
“If you want, but we’ll talk about it later. First let’s get the luggage into the car, and then we can say our goodbyes, how does that sound?” questions Saara
“Yeah that’s fine, not like I have any goodbyes to make.” says Abbe
“Then you can just walk around with Rosie if you want, but I suggest you at least say goodbye to Sandra and Mim.” replies Saara
“Yeah I was planning on doing that at least.” says Abbe
“Can you go get yours and Rosie’s luggage please?” asks Saara
“Yup, be back soon” says Abbe as she walks off

Abbe leaves Saara to collect her luggage and bring it back to Saara so she can load it into her car, while Abbe goes back to retrieve Rosie’s and Saara’s luggage as well. After all their luggage is packed into Saara’s car along with Georgia’s luggage as well. Once that is done Saara goes off to say goodbye to new and old friends, while Abbe goes off to find Sandra and Mim to say her final goodbyes.
“Bye Mim, bye Sandra.” says Abbe
“Bye Abbe, good luck in the future and best of luck with living with the Hawthorns. I’m sure you’ll do just fine, they are a nice bunch, as you’ve probably already know with Saara.” says Sandra
“Yes I know, I am sure that it was a wise move to accept their offer to join their family, instead of moving to Frankston. I better go and find Rosie before we leave. See you around?” asks Abbe
“Yes we will probably be seeing each other very soon. Have fun and don’t go and do anything stupid, okay?” says Mim
“Ha ha, I won’t, I have found the meaning of life and I am holding on to it dearly, isn’t that was your suppose to do…hold onto life?” replies Abbe
“Yes, trust it with God.” say Sandra
“I am doing that now; I wasn’t before, that for sure. Thanks for saving me Nurse Mim, when I almost died.” says Abbe gratefully
“It's ok now I know that you have given your life to God, I can now relax. Off you go, go find that wonderful bird of yours. Did you train her yourself?” asks Mim
“Yes it took a few years but I did succeed and I am still teaching her some things. But she is willing to learn and we love each other, I am glad that my parents gave her to me on my 10th birthday.” says Abbe then leaves

Abbe smiles and waves goodbye and goes off to find Rosie. Abbe walks towards the oval and whistles a turn and Rosie flies from the hills behind the outdoor toilets, which no one uses anymore so they stand there like a decoration.
As Rosie lands on her shoulder Abbe says “hope you had a good look around because we are leaving today, and what’s better we don’t have to move in with complete strangers, that’s the best thing. They all like you so don’t worry about that and Saara knows that I would never part with you. So we will be able to keep each other company, but you’ll have to get use to having other people around you all the time, because there is Saara, Trish, Nathan and Georgia that will probably in time will be handling you, feeding you and helping me look after you. But that won’t be for a while yet.” says Abbe
After that Abbe goes for a walk towards that low ropes course when out of nowhere she hears her name being called
“Abbe…Abbe, it’s time to go, bring Rosie and meet me at the car I have to go and find Georgia.” calls Saara
“Okay, come on Rosie race you to the car.” suggests Abbe

With that Rosie takes off and races with Abbe to the car. As usual Rosie wins, but Abbe never complains but laughs and says “you win again Rosie. A guess your wings will always be faster than my legs. A well, I like racing with you all the same. It’s good exercise for me as well for you.” Says Abbe all puffed out from the run
A few minutes later Saara returns with Georgia and every one climbs into the car, with Georgia and Saara in the front and Abbe and Rosie in the back. Rosie is put in her cage for the journey. As its going to be a long one, because they have to go to the Macleod’s local police station so they can arrange how to get some of Abbe’s things to the Hawthorn’s residence. Once that is sorted out the three girls and a rosella continue their journey home, for Abbe, her new home. Once they got there they noticed that Trish and Nathan are already home, since they left after us it’s surprising. They leave the luggage in the car for the moment until they sort out were Abbe is sleeping.
“Can I take Rosie out of her cage, so she can go for a fly around and get use to her new surroundings?” asks Abbe
“Yes as long as she won’t get lost.” replies Saara
“She won’t, she has been in this area a few times. My dad was posted somewhere around here a few times and I would go and visit him on weekends.” says Abbe
“Ok, once you set her free come and find me because we will settle you into your room and show you around the house and get the laundry started. Once we have done that we will go over to your parent’s house and retrieve some of your other belongings so you can start filling your room.” says Saara

Abbe takes Rosie outside and lets her fly around then Abbe returns inside and goes in search for Saara. Once Abbe finds Saara, Saara shows her to her room. Once that is done everyone goes outside to retrieve their luggage from Saara’s car were the take it back inside and form three different piles of clothes that need to be washed.
One pile was for all the dark coloured clothes, another was for light coloured clothes and the last one was for clothes that are mainly white. Once Abbe finished that she takes her dark pile to the laundry room where she put the pile of clothes in the washing machine with all the other clothes, and headed back to her room to retrieve the other piles to put them in the correct laundry basket. Once she was done with that she again went in search of Saara to see what she was to do next. When she found Saara she was washing one of the family dogs.
“Hey Saara, do you need any help? I can dry her when you’re done.” suggests Abbe
“Ok have you finished unpacking because when we have finished done here we can go to your parents home to retrieve some of your other belongings, like I said we would do. If you’re up to it that is.” asks Saara
“Yeah, ok.” replies Abbe

Saara hands over one the dog who goes by the name of Spot who she had just finished washing and gets started on the second dog who is named Fluffy. Once Abbe finishes drying Spot she lets him run around the Yard while he waits for Fluffy to finish his bath. Once Saara finishes with Fluffy she hands him over to Abbe to dry him. Once Abbe finishes drying him she lets him go and play with Spot and fallows Saara into the house where she collects her keys and walks out to the car with Georgia at their heels.
“Were are you going?” asks Georgia
“Were going to Abbe’s old house to get her some things to decorate her room.” replies Saara
“Can I come; I want to see her house.” asks Georgia
“Its fine with me but did you ask mum?” enquires Saara
“Yes she said if it’s ok with you guys, so could I come with you? says Georgia
“If it’s ok with Abbe, after all it is her home.” says Saara
“It's ok with me, come on lets go.” says Abbe and gets in the car with Saara and Georgia.

When they get close to Abbe’s parents home she directs them into the right driveway. When Saara stopped the car Abbe gets out and walks to the front door and opens it. When Saara and Georgia caught up with her only then does she walk into the entrance way and down to her old room with Saara and Georgia walking at a distance behind her so they can get a better look at their surroundings before arriving at Abbe’s old room. Once they did arrive at her room they found that Abbe collects a lot of stuffed animals and figurines.
“So Abbe, what are you going to take with you today, you sure like your animals, especially your birds and horses.” says Georgia
“I don’t know what I am going to take with me; I know I can’t take all my stuffed animals or figurines with me. What can I take? I know I should take some more clothes and things like that.” says Abbe
“You can take whatever you like remember you are to decorate your room so you will be happy there to sleep. We don’t want you to be unhappy even more that you’re already are. We want you to be happy in your new surrounding, we know that it isn’t the same, but nothing will be the same as you probably already guessed.” says Saara
“I am just grateful that I get to live with you and not being shipped to Frankston. I will only take a few stuffed animals, not all of them.” says Abbe

While Abbe goes around her room to pick out the things that she is taking with her to her new home, Saara and Georgia leaves Abbe to her own thoughts and goes and explore the house some more. When Abbe finishes she looks at her pile and realises that she might have too much things. The items in her pile include: clothes, stuffed animals, things her parents gave to her over the years. So Abbe sorts through her stuffed animal but finds that she can’t bare to part with any of her stuffed animals, she tries to do the same with her clothes but yet she will need her clothes. She wasn’t even going to try it with the things her parents gave her over the years, at this time Georgia and Saara walked through the door and looks at Abbe
“Have you finished already, what have you decided to take with you?” asks Saara as Abbe points to the pile she has formed
“Is this all, you know you can take more if you want.” continues Saara when she saw how small the pile was
“No it’s alright these are the important things that I want to take.” Says Abbe
“You sure, okay then let’s start packing these into a suitcase so it will be easier to transport them back home.” says Saara
So everyone works as a team to pack the rest of Abbe’s belongings into a suitcase, only then does Abbe realise that there was something in her parents’ room that she wanted to take with her.
“I’ll be right back I forgot something” says Abbe as she rushes out of her room and across the hall to her parents room and walks over to her mum’s jewellery-box and takes out her mum’s engagement ring and puts it on a chain and puts it around her neck, she also takes out her dad’s family ring which has been passed down for centuries to every boy on their eighteenth birthday but since there is no boys left in Abbe’s family, she takes it and puts it with her mum’s engagement ring. When she thinks she is done she realises that there is a safe in the closet and goes back into the jewellery-box and tries to find the key to the safe. When she does find it she goes into the closet to the safe, by then Saara and Georgia had finished packing Abbe’s bag and goes to put in the car.
“Abbe shouldn’t be too much longer why don’t you stay here while I go and see what Abbe is up to?” says Saara to Georgia
“Ok, can I at least have the music on?” asks Georgia
“Yes…here.” says Saara as she tosses the keys to Georgia then walks back inside the house and to Abbe’s parent’s room.
“You almost done Abbe, we should go soon or mum will be wonder where we are.” says Saara
“Yes I am about finished just one more thing, which I have just realised that I need to do.” says Abbe
“Ok do you need any help?” asks Saara
“No, just give me a couple of minutes, ok?” replies Abbe
“Yep, is it ok that I have a glass of water?” says Saara
“Yes, glasses are in the cupboard, and there is water in the fridge, help yourself.” says Abbe

With that Saara left Abbe to her thoughts. Once Abbe could here Saara in the kitchen she went back to what she was doing, which is looking through her parent’s safe which she only just remembered about. While she looks through she finds her parent will. She takes the will and locks up the safe and puts it back in the closet were she found it. Once she does that she gathers up all the things she has from her parent’s room and walks out to where Saara has made herself comfortable in the lounge room.
“All done?” asks Saara
“Yes, where is Georgia?” says Abbe
“She is in the car already; she has been out there for some time now.” replies Saara
“You should have let me know I would have stopped what I was going so we could have gone.” says Abbe
“Oh well it’s a little too late for that now isn’t it.” replies Saara
“Yeah, true, well let’s go so Georgia doesn’t have to wait any longer.” says Abbe
“Ok.” replies Saara

With that Abbe and Saara gathered all their belongings and locked up the house, then drove away in Saara’s car. When there arrived back at Georgia’s and Saara’s house, Abbe takes her time to walk into the house. Just before she enters the house she calls for Rosie to return back home. Then walks to her new room and opens the window to allow Rosie into the room when she arrives. While she waits for Rosie she starts unpacking all the things she brought from here house. About five minutes later Rosie flies into the room just as Trish knocks on the bedroom door.
“Come in!” calls Abbe
“Hey Abbe how are you settling in, and how’s Rosie?” asks Trish
“We’re not bad, Rosie just got back, from her afternoon flight. I’m almost done here.” replies Abbe
“Ok, dinner will be in five.” says Trish
“Ok.” says Abbe just as Trish closes the door. “Let’s feed you now, before I have to go to eat dinner, Rosie.”
So just before Abbe has to go and eat her dinner she feeds Rosie, and continues to unpack until Nathan knocks on the door.

“Come in.” calls Abbe
“It’s time for dinner Abbe.” says Nathan as he opens the door just enough to stick his head around the door.
“Ok I’m coming,” says Abbe as she puts a top in the wardrobe and fallows Nathan to the dining room, were Georgia and Saara are already seated. Trish comes in a few minutes later and tells Abbe to sit next to Saara while she dishes out the evening meal. Which consists of Fish and Chips that makes your mouth water at the smell of it. Once everyone was served Trish leads the family into grace. This is about the only thing that the Hawthorn family and the Blackburn family have in common. They both say grace whenever they eat as a family, which for families aren’t very often. The Hawthorn’s always say grace even if they are eating by themselves. After they say grace everyone but Abbe starts eating, but shortly after Abbe fallows.
“Abbe? Does your family say grace before there meal?” enquires Georgia
“Yes we do say grace whenever we eat as a family, but that isn’t very often.” replies Abbe
“Ok so this isn’t entirely new to you. That’s good. After dinner we always clear the table and we have a roster on who washes up. Tonight it’s Nathan who is on dishes. Now eat up or your food will get cold.” instructs Trish

Once everyone was finished eating everyone works as a team to clear the table and Nathan gets started on the dishes
“Do you need any help Nathan?” asks Abbe
“No, I have it all under control.” says Nathan
“Abbe? Can you come into the family room for a minute?” calls Trish
“Coming.” calls Abbe back to Trish
Once Abbe finds the family room she sees that only Trish is there, holding a pad of paper and a pen in her hand.
“Come sit down next to me.” says Trish as Abbe enters the room.
“I need to know what you are allergic to and what you will and won’t eat, because I usually do shopping either tonight or tomorrow night.” says Trish
“Ok, I am allergic to bees and Ceclor. I don’t eat tomatoes but will eat tomato-based sauces; I don’t eat spinach, peas and cooked carrots. I also don’t eat quiche and celery. I think that’s about it. Oh, I can also cook if you need me to, I also know how to do the laundry and house work. So I will help around the house.” offers Abbe
“Ok, we only eat as a family on Sundays, any other days we eat whenever we feel like it. You will slowly catch on how this family works. Georgia works Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Saara works Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays every other week. Nathan works Mondays and Fridays and I work every day at Macleod Salvation Army. Georgia works at Kmart, Nathan works at KFC and Saara works as a beauty therapist in Northcote.” relays Trish
“I don’t work yet.” says Abbe
“That’s ok, when you want to apply for a job just let me know.” says Trish
“Ok but I don’t think that will be for a while yet. I’ll just do the house work instead, if that’s ok with you?” offers Abbe
“Yes that’s fine. I think we’re done here, how's the unpacking going.” questions Trish
“I’m almost done.” replies Abbe
“Ok off you go then.” says Trish

So with that Abbe walks out of the lounge room and to her room to finish unpacking. When she gets to her room she sees that someone had been in there while Trish and Abbe were talking. She could see that her bed had been made and the stuffed animals were placed on top of it. She could see that her dresser had all the necessary things on it and all the pictures that she took from her other house was all up on the wall.
“Rosie who did this? Was it Saara, Georgia or Nathan?” asks Abbe to Rosie
“Tweet, tweet.” answers Rosie
“What’s that suppose to mean. Never mind I’ve got work to do.” says Abbe turning away and continuing unpacking
While humming to herself she finishes unpacking an hour later Saara comes in and finds Abbe sitting on her bed reading.
“Do you want to come grocery shopping with me and Trish?” offers Saara
“Ok. I’ll be there in a minute.” replies Abbe
“Ok by the way your room looks really nice. Do you like where I put your posters?” asks Saara
“Yes thanks heaps I would have been up all night just putting them up.” informs Abbe
“No worries it was fun, ready to go?” says Saara
“Yep, be good Rosie and don’t make a mess, I won’t be the one cleaning up you know.” says Abbe sternly

Abbe fallows Saara and Trish out to the car, and gets in the back seat. With Trish driving and Saara sitting next to the driver. When they arrive at the grocery store Abbe gets a trolley without being asked and fallows Saara and Trish down the endless aisles of canned goods and other accessories that might be in a grocery store. About 2 hours later the walk out of the store and start loading the car with all their goods, then they drive home. Only stopping at McDonalds to get some ice cream to take home with them. At McDonalds they get four sundaes because Abbe doesn’t want anything and continue the drive home. Once they arrive Nathan comes out to help them unpack the car and carry the groceries inside. Once that was done he takes his sundae and goes to his room.
“Abbe do you think on your way to your room you could take Georgia’s sundae to her?” asks Saara
“Yes sure, I’ll do that now if you don’t need any help.” replies Abbe
“No we’re fine here.” says Saara

So Abbe takes Georgia’s sundae and walks over to Georgia’s room and knocks on the door and waits
“Come in.” says a voice from behind the door
Abbe turns the door knob and walks in
“Here is your sundae we picked up on the way home.” presents Abbe
“Thanks Abbe, please sit down, make yourself comfortable.” says Georgia
“You sure I don’t want to disturb you in what you’re doing.” replies Abbe with concern
“No its fine really sit, sit.” insists Georgia
“Ok.” says Abbe
Georgia finishes writing something then turns around to face Abbe
“So Abbe how are you settling in, are you all unpacked now.” enquires Georgia
“Yeah, I’m all settled in, but tonight will be a real challenge because I’m in unfamiliar territory.” replies Abbe
“If you wake up halfway through the night, and need someone to hold you I am always here. At any time anywhere.” offers Georgia
“Thanks but I wouldn’t want to wake you or anyone up.” says Abbe
“It’s ok Abbe; we all know you’re going through a rough time. Hey do you still have that wax head that was hung up in you cabin over camp?” says Georgia
“Yes I do I think it’s in my closet. I still have to finish sketching it before I break it open to see what inside. I should finish it tonight though. So I will break it open tomorrow.” replies Abbe
“Ok let’s make it a family thing; we will break it open as a family. I’ll have to talk to mum about it though but I think she will agree with me to do it as a family.”
“Ok well I should get back to my room now.” says Abbe
“Abbe you know there isn’t any rules that say we can’t go into each other’s room when you have been invited.” informs Georgia
“I know but I want to get that sketch done. See you later then.” says Abbe getting up and heading out the door
“Ok sleep well. I am here if you need anything you know that.” says Georgia

With that Abbe gets up and leaves the room and heads back to her own room to finish off her sketching of the wax head. The sketch took her about 3 hours to complete, by the time she completed it, it was about 11:00ish. She had drawn every detail even the smallest of them all. The eyes look like the eyes of the wax head and every other detail every wrinkle every pimple every worth is included in the sketch, you could see that it is the split image of the wax head. After she had packed up she got ready for bed and went to say good night to whoever was still up. But she soon discovers that only Saara was up.
“I thought you were in bed?” says Saara startle at the appearance of Abbe
“No I was marly finishing up my sketch of the wax head of my mum. I am going to bed now. That why I have emerged from my new room.” says Abbe
“Ok, do you mean the wax head that was hung in out room during camp?” asks Saara
“Yes that one. I wanted a splitting image of it before I break it open. Which I have to Georgia and I will break it open tomorrow if she still wants to that is. Do you care do join us tomorrow?” asks Abbe
“I have to work but I get off as 4:00 so I will be home by 4:30ish. So can it wait till I get home? Georgia is also working tomorrow so it will only be you and Nathan at home all day. What are you going to do?” enquires Saara
“I don’t know, where are the cleaning equipment?”asks Abbe
“In the laundry room under the sink. I think Nathan might be going over to a friend’s house for a bit but I am not entirely sure. We’ll have to check with Nathan before I go to work.” says Saara
“What time do you leave?” wonders Abbe
“I will be leaving at about 9:30ish because my first client is at 10:15. I may be coming home for lunch because I only have six clients today, but normally I would have anywhere from twelve to twenty clients in a day depending on what I have to do. Whether it’s a massage or waxing. Waxing is my specialty. But we should go to bed it’s getting late.” says Saara
“Yeah your right, is it ok for me to go to my other house and maybe grab a few more things?” enquires Abbe
“You’ll have to talk to mum about that, but come on let’s get you back to bed.” says Saara

With that Saara gets up and takes Abbe’s hand and they both begin walking back to Abbe’s new room were Saara puts Abbe back to bed. Saara didn’t leave until Abbe was fast asleep. By the time Saara was in bed and falling asleep it was 12:13am and Saara was asleep almost instantly and didn’t wake up until her alarm went off. It was 8:00 when that happened, and Abbe was already up and making breakfast before everyone had to go to work, Georgia goes over to Kmart at the same time Saara leaves which is at 9:30 Trish leaves shortly after for she has less to travel to get to work. By the time everyone but Nathan is at the dining table Abbe just finishes cooking breakfast and puts it on the table.

For breakfast Abbe had cooked up homemade pancakes with golden syrup and fruit.
“This looks splendid Abbe, I didn’t know you could cook like this, does it taste as good as it looks? Where is Nathan?” wonders Georgia
“He is still in bed. I think.” says Saara who had just walked in
“Georgia can you please go and wake his up he is missing out on this magnificent breakfast that Abbe cooked up for us to enjoy. I think we should have a family breakfast.” asks Trish all dressed up in her Salvation Army uniform,
“Oh ok, then I will take mine and go into the lounge room while you eat.” says Abbe getting her plate and starts to walk out before Trish stops her
“Abbe, what do you mean, your part of this family to you know. Now sit down you have done quite enough.” instructs Trish
With that Abbe sits down with Saara and Trish while they wait for Georgia and Nathan. A few minutes later they both walk in, Nathan only in his Pyjamas.
“This better be good, because I was having the most fabulous dream…” starts Nathan
“Nathan you know better than to come to the dining room in just pants go to your room and put on a top before you eat, and make it snappy please the foods getting cold.” says Trish sternly

While the family has to wait another couple of minutes for Nathan to arrive back to the dining room, Abbe goes out into the kitchen because she forgot the best thing that goes with pancakes…CREAM.
“Abbe comes on Nathan’s back.” calls Georgia
“Ok, I just forgot something.” replies Abbe
As Abbe walks in everyone exclaims in surprise when they see that Abbe was bring in a huge bowl of home made cream
“Abbe all these things are all homemade aren’t they?” questions Saara
“Yes, I would always have to cook for my parent because they were always out. That would mean I would have to get up early and cook them breakfast.” Says Abbe
“Abbe you don’t have to do that all the time here you know, but this is…great, come on let’s eat, before it gets too cold.” encourages Trish
Saara this time says grace and they all begin to eat in silence with great smiles on their faces, and looking as though they are in heaven. The only one who doesn’t have to same look is Abbe because there is one thing that has been on her mind lately. One thing that she can’t yet tell anyone, not even the police, or else then they would go berserk trying to protect her at all cost.
“Are you ok Abbe you seem to be in your own fantasy land, is there anything that you want to tell us.” asks Trish with concern
“No I’m fine, I was just thinking about how wonderful it is of you to take me in. if it weren’t for you then I would probably be in Frankston working on a farm, by now.” replies Abbe
“We are glad that God has placed you in out path of life. God work in mysterious ways and puts a number of obstacles in our path to overcome, but he never puts anything in our way that we can’t overcome.” says Trish
“Mum please saves your sermons for Sundays while we are trying to enjoy out delicious breakfast made by the fabulous Abbe Blackburn the newest addition to our family. Abbe? requests Saara”
“Yeah” says Abbe through a mouth full of pancakes with cream
“When are you to have your cast taken off you wrist, how long have you had it on?” asks Saara
“I have had it on for almost two weeks now so I have another five more.” replies Abbe
“Ok, do you already have an appointment to take off the cast, or do we still have to make one.” asks Saara
“No I have one already. It’s in my diary I can’t remember at the top of my head.” replies Abbe
“Ok just let us know and we will try to get you there, do you have a bike or some sort of transport that you could use to get to places that are a short distance away?” asks Trish
“Yes I have a bike and a pair of rollerblades that I could get from my other house. I could get them today, if it ok with you. I won’t take me long to get there, by foot.” replies Abbe
“Ok, yeah you can go a fetch then sometime today if you feel up to it, it’ll give you something to do other than continue fixing your room to the way you like it.” says Trish
“Lets quickly clear the table then Georgia and I have to go.” says Saara
“Yes, thank for the marvellous pancakes, and don’t work to hard today” says Georgia with a big smile
With that everyone pitches in to clear the table while Abbe starts washing the dished. When the table is cleared Saara, Georgia and Trish both get ready for work.
“Bye Abbe, I’ll see you for lunch if you are around.” says Saara just as she walks out the door with Georgia trailing at her heel.
“Abbe I should show you how to use the phone before I go since Nathan will be out most of the day. Oh and I need to give you a key to the house if you are to go over to the other house at some point during the day. Georgia will be home at about 2:30ish depending on how she is getting home from work.” Once Trish shows Abbe how to use the phone and knows where all the emergency numbers are kept and has a house key she as well sets off for work.
“I’ll be home around 10ish” continues Trish
“Do you have dinner at work, on your way home or when you get home?” asks Abbe
“When I get home normally, why do you plan on leaving something out from me to eat when I get home?” asks Trish
“Yeah probably, I that’s ok with you.” says Abbe
“Abbe, you don’t have to spend your whole time here in the kitchen trying to please us with your magnificent cooking, but if you really want to you can leaving something out for me on the dining room table.” says Trish
“Ok, you should go before you’re later to work.” points out Abbe
“Yes I suppose I should, are you sure you’ll be ok.” worries Trish
“Yes Nathan is still here if I have any questions, and will be home for lunch and I am to go over to the other house to get a few more things for my room like you said.” says Abbe
“Ok, I’ll see you later then. Bye Nathan.” calls Trish
“Bye Mum.” shouts Nathan from his room.

So Trish walks out the door leaving Abbe to finish cleaning up from breakfast. While she does that Nathan comes in,
“Abbe I’ll be leaving to go to a mate’s house at about 10:30 just to let you know, but I’ll be home before 6.” says Nathan
“Ok, I’m going to head over to the other house before that so I can be home to make some lunch for Saara. What would you like for dinner, have a look in the freezer or do you want to make something up when you’re hungry.” suggests Abbe
“I’ll make something when I’m hungry because I don’t know what time I’ll be home by, if that ok?” replies Nathan
“Yeah that’s fine.” says Abbe

With that Nathan goes to practice his Guitar before he goes over to his mate’s house. Once Abbe finishes the dishes she goes into her room to fix it up. When she had done that Rosie wakes up so Abbe feeds her then gets ready for the long walk to the other house. But the time she is ready to head off its 10:05
“Nathan, I’m heading off now, see you later on then.” calls Abbe
“Do you have the house key, that mum gave you?” replies Nathan
“Yes.” Says Abbe pulling out a brass key attached to a key chain with several other keys. Abbe walks to the door when she hears a sharp cheeping noise coming from behind her. She looks back and sees Rosie perching on the top of the TV set.
“Yes you can come Rosie. But stay in my sight at all times please you don’t know the area very well and I don’t want to loose you.” As Abbe opens the front door Rosie shoots out before Abbe can even place a foot outside. Once Abbe is outside and on her way to the other house Rosie flies back and lands on her shoulder.
“When I meant that you had to stay in my sight I didn’t mean that you couldn’t fly you know?” giggles Abbe.

When they are half way there they are stopped by a couple of people
“What are you doing in this area you don’t live around here?” asks the first man
“I am on my way to a friend’s house she lives in the next suburb.” says Abbe
“Oh, did you know that two people were murdered in that suburb, they were police officers too well know in these parts.” says the second man
“Yes they will be greatly missed by a number of people that’s for sure.” says Abbe
“Not by us, we hated them. You don’t know anyone by the name of Abbe Blackburn do you. She use to live in that suburb before the police moved her because she is an orphan.” says the second man
“Yes I know of her, why do you want her?” asks Abbe
“That’s none of your business. You should be on your way shouldn’t you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you not to talk to strangers?” says the first man
“Yes, bye.” says Abbe as she continues on her way

With that Abbe walk away. For the rest of the journey she thinks about those men, and the strange conversation that they had on the streets. She didn’t snap out of this deep thinking stage until she gets her the house, when she reaches the door she pulls out her key chain and selects a colourful key decorated in little puppies and places it in the key hole provided in the front door. Once the door is unlocked she opens the door and walks into familiar territory. She walks to the kitchen and opens a cupboard and takes out a selection of cook books and places them in a backpack that she brought with her. Then walks into her old room and takes down the rest of her figurines that she left behind from her last visit and begins wrapping them up in the bubble wrap that she brought that she had used to transport her other figurines. Then places them in a line on her old bed. Then goes around taking out selected items out other places around her room. Amongst the items that she took is a selection of photos that she hasn’t sketched and don’t plan of sketching either, they are her memories and are better off staying in its concealed photo album that id rarely open. Once she has all the things she has come back for she arranges them in her backpack then walks out to the garage and gets her rollerblades and ties the laces together and drapes them over one of the handle bars of her bike. Once that is done she takes her bike and a trolley that can be attached to her bike out of the garage and sets it up on the driveway then goes and locks up making sure that she didn’t forget anything. Rosie for the whole time was sitting in her favourite tree in the front garden. Before Abbe sets on her journey home she picks some flowers to take home to put on the kitchen table hoping that they have a vase for them. Abbe puts the flowers in one of her rollerblades that is amongst all her figurines that are in boxes in her trolley; she puts her bike helmet on and sets off for the journey home hoping that she isn’t stopped again by those creepy men.
She gets back home at 12:15. Setting her bike on the front lawn hoping that it’s ok for it to be there, taking no chances she locks up the bike to one of the post that supports that rail that leads up to the front door. She quickly opens the door and closes it and ran to her room to put her boxes on her bed and walks briskly to the kitchen to start lunch for her and Saara for she was due home at anytime from now. She decides to make open faces sandwiches since she doesn’t have enough time to prepare for something better. While she sandwiches are cooking in the oven she takes goes back to her room and takes the flowers out of her rollerblades and walks back to the kitchen in search for a vase. Once she does find on she fills it half way with water and neatly arranges the flowers and sets the vase down on the table just as Saara opens the door.
“Hello is anyone home?” calls Saara from the front door
“Yes I’m in the kitchen, hope you like open faced sandwiches, because that’s what’s for lunch.” replies Abbe
“Were is everyone?” questions Saara
“Nathan is at a friend’s and everyone else at work.” replies Abbe
“Have you been to the other house yet?” asks Saara
“Yes, I brought a few more things over. I even brought my mum’s old cooking books.” says Abbe
“Did you bring over your bike?” asks Saara
“Yes and my rollerblades too.” Answers Abbe while taking lunch out of the oven
“Ok, were did you get these lovely Roses and Lavenders from?” questions Saara after smelling them
“I picked them at the other house they were my mum’s specials.” says Abbe
“Abbe since school doesn’t start for another 2 week; we need to figure out what you are going to do. You just can’t stay around her and cook and clean it’s just not right.” says Saara
“I don’t mind doing just that you know.” says Abbe
“Yeah I figured you’ll say that. Listen we need a singer at church, I was thinking if you’re up to it, because I have heard you sing while we were at camp. I think you’ll make a great singer. What do you think?” asks Saara
“Saara I suck at singing besides I have never sung in front of anyone, I’m not cut out to be a singer, never have, and never will. Let’s eat shall we? What time do you have to be back at work?” replies Abbe
“I have to be back in an hour so I’ll be leaving in half an hour, so it’ll give me enough time to do the dishes.” says Saara
“You don’t need to do that, I’m quite capable of doing them myself.” says Abbe
“Abbe you did the breakfast dished, didn’t you?” asks Saara
“Yes, Saara I was wonder are we allowed to listen to music in our rooms?” asks Abbe
“Yes of course, oh I forgot to say you were allowed when we were over at the other house didn’t I. Well we can go over tomorrow if you want.” replies Saara
“Its ok I never really listen to music much anyways.” says Abbe
“What church music do you know, and can sing.” questions Saara
“I know a limited amount because I don’t usually go to church because I could never get there, and even if I do go I usually go out to Sunday school after the first couple of songs are done.” says Abbe
“Well you’ll be going to church every week while you’re here, and there won’t be going out to Sunday school, because you’re too old for Sunday school, so I suggest that you get use to it.” replies Saara
“I’ll have to get use to a lot of things around here, like not having to cook every meal. I’ll have to find something else to take up my time since I don’t usually watch TV either.” says Abbe
“Abbe I’m not working this week end, do you want to hang out together, we could go clothes shopping, or go see a movie, if you want” questions Saara
“I don’t mind, be the weekend is still a long way off yet, its only Wednesday, beside anything can happen before the weekend I could for all we know be dead.” says Abbe knowing that it’s quite possible
“I won’t have you talking like that Abbe, or even think it either. How are you in the way of coloured pencils do you need any more because I know how much you like you drawing.” asks Saara
“I’m fine for the moment. I think I might do some drawings later on after you go back to work. Since I haven’t much to do.” replies Abbe
“Ok, I should probably be getting ready to go back shortly. Let’s get the dishes done.” says Saara
“Ok, by the way what would you like for dinner, Nathan said that he will get something when he gets home and Trish will be home late. So it would be Georgia, you and me. Do you want me to cook you anything?” asks Abbe
“No, I think we will just cook up something easy, when we want to eat if that’s alright.” replies Saara
“Yeah sure no problem. I have to cook something up for Trish for when she gets home, but that’s not until later tonight.” says Abbe
“Abbe, go into the other room and watch TV. I have it all under control. I don’t think it’s fair how you are offering yourself to hard labour more than anyone else around here.” says Saara
“So, I need something to pass the time around here. Since I don’t have a job or anything. Besides I don’t mind, it’s the least I can do to make up for all you’ve done for Me.” replies Abbe
“Abbe, it’s not right you have already been pulling your own weight, plus you’re doing more. Abbe I want you to take it easy. Do you have a CD player at the other house?” asks Saara
“Yes, I was going to bring it back here today but I didn’t have enough room.” says Abbe
“Ok after I finish work today we can go and pick it up so you can listen to music, and feel free to watch some TV. You do live here to you know. All the appliances are here for you to use as well.” says Saara
“I know I just never really watch TV, much, I am usually in the kitchen cooking or do some sort of cleaning.” says Abbe
“You don’t have to do all that, you need time to relax. Have you ever had a massage before?” asks Saara
“No.” states Abbe
“Do you have a place where you can go and relax and just have some peace and quiet?” asks Saara
“No. I already have the house to myself often as it is.” says Abbe
“Yeah but you are always doing something when you have to house to yourself. Maybe I should give you a nice massage, they usually help you relax.” says Saara
“No its ok, I’m sure I can find some time to set aside for myself.” says Abbe
“Ok. But one day soon I will be giving you a massage.” promises Saara
“Shouldn’t you be getting back to work?” enquires Abbe
“Yeah your right, you good at making sure I leave for work on time. Do you do that with your parents?” agrees Saara
“Yes because they are always fussing over each other, so I would have to shoo them out of the house, before they were late.” says Saara “Did your parent fuss over you much?” continues Saara
“No they were always too busy to do that, to them I am just another burden on the shoulders that they have to look after. That’s why I am so independent; they were never here for me when I needed them most. They were never there for me at all. I had to learn to take care of myself as well as them. I did everything around the house, cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, everything. I never had time to do stuff for me, all that as well as school and homework. Sometimes I would think I am their slave, not their daughter but I still loved them whether they loved me or not.” says Abbe
“Abbe that’s so sad. Well you are most defiantly loved here, by mum, Georgia, Nathan and me, and that will never change.” says Saara
“You should be going for sure now or else you will defiantly be late, now go Saara.” says Abbe sternly
“Yes…Yes I’m going. See you later. Remember I am coming home to pick you up then we are going to get your CD player from the other house. Oh and don’t forget to take it easy from now on, I know that will be hard after all that you did for your parents. But at least try. You can watch some TV.” says Saara
“Ok, I’ll try. Bye.” says Abbe as Saara walks out of the door

Once Saara left Abbe goes to finish the dishes and heads back to her room to feed Rosie. Once Rosie is satisfied Abbe goes back into the kitchen and feeds Spots and Fluffy. Once she has finished that she goes into the lounge room to where the TV set is. She grabs the remote and starts too fiddly with it to try and turn on the TV. After about twenty minutes she gives up and walks into the kitchen and begins to make some cookie batter. Once she makes the basic cookie batter she goes through the cupboards and finds some chocolate chips and throughs them in the batter. She then gets out two cookie trays and starts putting on tablespoon helpings on to the tray, which she greased beforehand. Then puts them in the oven, which she had turned on before she had started to make the cookie batter. While the cookies are baking she cleans up and begins reading a novel call ‘Who am I’. Twenty minutes later she goes and checks on the cookies, which she realises that they are done. She takes them out and places them on a wire tray to allow them to cool. As she takes off the last cookie she hears the front door open then a few minutes later she sees Georgia walking into the kitchen were Abbe is.
“What smells so good, oh wonderful cook!” says Georgia as she walks into the kitchen
“I just made some chocolate chip cookies, I couldn’t work the TV and I had nothing else to do.” says Abbe
“Oh, I can show you later if you want?” offers Georgia
“Ok, that would be great, what do you want for dinner?” asks Abbe
“I don’t know. Whatever you feel like.” replies Georgia
“Ok I’ll cook something up later, when Saara comes home.” says Abbe
“Ok, I’m going to have a shower. Can I have one of your cookies, they smell so good?” asks Georgia
“Yeah they might still be a little warm, since they just came out of the oven.” says Abbe
“Thanks Abbe, but try not to over work yourself.” warns Georgia
So Georgia left taking one of Abbe’s cookies with her. Shortly after Georgia left the phone rang so Abbe had to answer it. Unsure on what to say she ends up saying
“Hello, Hawthorn residence, Abbe speaking, how may I help you?” asks Abbe into the phone
“Hi Abbe this is Officer Timothy speaking I was calling to ask how you are doing, have you settled in with the Hawthorns. Are they treating you well? Are you still cooking a lot like you use to for your parents?” bombards Timothy
“Oh hi Timothy, the Hawthorns are all very nice people and yes they are treating me will. And I also still do a lot of cooking that no one will be able to get me out of doing. You should know that since you were always at my house, ever since I born wasn’t it?” says Abbe
“Yes close enough. Is Trish around because I need to speak with her?” asks Timothy
“No she isn’t, but I can give you her work number, since she isn’t expected to be home until late.” says Abbe
“Yes thanks that would be most helpful.” says Timothy
“Ok let me find it first…Ah here it is. Her work number is 9462-3506. Is there anything else I can help you with?” asks Abbe
“No that’ll be all for now. We might be seeing each other very soon.” says Timothy
“Why?” questions Abbe
“We need to talk about what you are going to do regarding to school this year? Whether you return to your old school or you go to the same school as Nathan goes to, which I think is a private Christian school, in Doreen.” says Timothy
“You mean Plenty Valley Christian School?” asks Abbe
“Yes that’s the one.” says Timothy
“Ok well I don’t mind going to that school, I’m flexible you know.” says Abbe
“Yes well we’ll have to wait and see. I have to go now so I can give Trish a call. It was nice talking to you again, and I’m sorry about your parents.” says Timothy
“Thanks talk to you later. Bye.” says Abbe
With that Abbe hangs up the phone. She then walks to her room and closes the door.

Without realising she takes out one of her many novels and lies on her bed and begins to read. She is shill reading when Saara comes home.
“Abbe…Abbe. Where are you?” calls Saara
“I’m in my room Saara.” calls Abbe back to Saara
“Abbe! Have you been in here all afternoon?” asks Saara
“Yes but I didn’t mean to be. I just lost track of the time that’s all.” says Abbe
“Its ok, I am glad for once you are not in the kitchen. What book are you reading? asks Saara
“My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult, it’s a good book, it’s about a girl who was born so she can be her elder sisters donor because her elder sister has leukemia, I am almost finished.” says Abbe
“When did you start reading it because you weren’t reading it at anytime during camp?” says Saara
“I started it today, but I still have about 10 more pages left.” replies Abbe
“Wow that’s a lot of reading in one day. Do you still want to go over to the other house and get you CD player?” asks Saara
“Yeah if it’s ok with you.” says Abbe
“No problem, just give me a few minutes to change then we will go.” says Saara

Ten minutes later Abbe and Saara get into Saara’s car and drive off to Abbe’s old house to retrieve she CD player and her CD’s so she can listen to music when she is in her room and for some reason not in the kitchen.
“Saara the police called today looking for Trish.” says Abbe once they were on the road
“Why what did they want now?” asks Saara looking concerned
“They want to discuss what’s happening with my schooling. Whether I am to still attend the one I went to last year or to the school Nathan goes to.” says Abbe
“What do you want to do; do you want to stay at your normal school to change to Nathan’s school?” asks Saara
“To be honest I really don’t care much. Changing schools would mean I don’t have to face a whole heap of questions about my parent’s death that I really don’t want to answer, but then again I would have to get use to a new environment and new teachers and make new friends. At my old school I never really had any friends anyhow so it really wouldn’t matter much. I am just happy that I have a place to live and have some fantastic friends that care about my heaps. I am glad that I didn’t die in that coma.” says Abbe
“I am glad too; life hasn’t been that same since you came to live with us, it’s changed for the better I think. I am glad that God has brought you into our life. Abbe since you are going to be living with us from now on I think it’s time to discuss what’s going to happen with you on Sunday, since you are now living with us and mums a Salvation Army officer everyone in the family takes part in the meeting. You wouldn’t have to do anything this Sunday except stand out the front and introduce you to the corrugation and welcome you into our family everyone had to do that at every church that we have been transferred to, it’s a tradition in our family. During the meeting Nathan and I usually sing, Georgia does the bible reading and mum of course preached. Do you have anything that you like to do?” asks Saara
“No not really I don’t usually go to church, so I don’t what it’s like anyways.” says Abbe
“Ok well we will see how you go this week and have a talk about it next week,” says Saara as they pulls into Abbe’s old house’s driveway. Once Saara kills the ignition they both get out of the car and wonder over to the front door. Abbe unlocks the door and turns off the alarm. When that is done Saara and Abbe both walk into the house and down the corridor and into Abbe’s former room. While Saara takes a seat on Abbe’s old bed Abbe opens up her wardrobe and takes out her CD player and places it down on her bed.
“What type of CD’s do you have?” asks Saara
“I don’t have any Christian ones if that’s what you’re thinking; I mainly have Kelly Clarkson, Brittney Spears, Sean Kingston, Greenday and Pink.” says Abbe
“Ok then we have to get you some Christian ones too. Have you ever heard of Planetshakers or Hillsong?” says Saara
“No, why, should I have heard of them.” asks Abbe
“Not if you don’t go to church much, but we will soon change that. I will lend you some of my CD’s and the lyrics to so you can sing along. Do you have everything now?” says Saara
“Yes, Saara what’s going to happen with this house once I am officially living with you, because I haven’t been adopted yet you know?” asks Abbe
“I know that, you will be officially adopted on Sunday afternoon, but I don’t know what’s happening with this house after that.” says Saara
“Ok, well I am done here do you want to head off and go back home?” asks Abbe
“Yeah but I have one stop to make before we go home and that is to a Christian book store down in Blackburn North.” says Saara
“Ok, well then we should head off then.” suggests Abbe
With that Saara and Abbe leave the house and begin to drive the forty-minute car ride to Blackburn North.

When they arrive there Abbe gets out of the car and stares at the entrance to the Christian Book store, which Abbe discovers is called Koorong. When she walks through the door she is amazed at what she sees. When Saara catches up with her she says
“Come on lets go to the music section. I want to get you some CD’s to listen to. I also need to get a CD for the worship band.” says Saara leading her to the music section
“Ok.” says Abbe
So Abbe follows Saara to the music section and begins to look at some of the CD’s. While Saara takes out a whole bunch of CD’s and gives them to Abbe to have a look at.
“All these are the more recent ones from Planetshakers and Hillsong. At home I have older ones that you can borrow if you like.” says Saara
“Ok.” says Abbe feeling a little uncomfortable with all the little like staring up as her cast
“Oh that reminds me I have this book at home that I would like you to read.” says Saara
“Ok but after I finish the one that I am reading, which wouldn’t actually be that long maybe tonight if I get around to reading again.” says Abbe
“I’m sure you will have a fare amount of time.” assures Saara
“Yeah after I make dinner for us and Trish.” says Abbe
“ABBE, you have to stop doing more than you are supposed to do all the time, seriously. I know you like cooking and all but we are not use to having someone cooking for use all the time.” says Saara
“Ok I shall try and not cook all the time but it will take me a while to get use to that. What do you guys usually eat if you don’t cook?” says Abbe
“Well we have some quick and easy microwave dinner meals that you just stick in the microwave and they will be ready in about ten minutes.” says Saara
“Oh yeah I know those, I think I have only had those once when we had no food in the house at all, but that was ages ago before I was treated like a slave.” says Abbe
“Abbe, when were you started to be treated like a slave?” asks Saara
“The day of my 10th birthday, so about 5 years ago.” says Abbe thinking back
“Oh, so for quite a while. Abbe, I am going to talk to mum and arrange something out so that you can at least cook for us some times during the week but not every day like what you have been doing since you have moved in. what do you say about that?” says Saara
“I think I could live with that. You do know that I love to work in a kitchen.” says Abbe
“Yeah, but anyways lets pay for these and head on home before it gets too late.” says Saara
“Yeah I am anxious it finish reading my novel and to start listening to some of these CD’s.” says Abbe
“We can listen to one of them on the way home if you like, but let’s go.” says Saara after paying for the CD’s

So Saara and Abbe pay for the five CD’s and get into the car and drive off. In the car they begin listen to Rain Down by Planetshakers. On the drive home Abbe looks at the lyrics and begins singing them quietly, thinking that Saara can’t hear, but in actual fact Saara can hear Abbe but she just enjoys listening to Abbe sing for she is a fabulous singer, in Saara’s opinion. When they arrive back at the house, Saara ejects the CD from the CD’s player in her car and place it back in its case while Abbe gathers up the other CD’s and her CD player and gets out of the car and walks up the foot path to her new house and unlocks the door only to find that is was already unlocked. So she walks in and straight down to her room to set up her CD player. After that she walks into the kitchen only to see that Nathan is home sitting at the computer screen play games.
“I didn’t know you were home Nathan!” says Abbe
“Yeah I just got home about half an hour ago. Where were you?” asks Nathan
“I was with Saara; we went to Koorong to get some CD’s for Me.” says Abbe
“But you don’t have a CD player.” says Nathan
“Yes I do we went to my old house to get it since I couldn’t get it when I went over yesterday, so we went there today after Saara got home from work. Nathan you haven’t seen any strange men walking around here lately since I moved in have you.” says Abbe
“No why do you ask that?” wonders Nathan
“Oh just wondering.” says Abbe a little too sudden for Nathans liking
“You sure, you seemed kind of anxious when you asked that question. Is there something we should know?” asks Saara coming up behind Abbe
“No it’s nothing really, there is no need to get worried about it, ok?” says Abbe
“Ok fine, I will let this go just this once.” says Saara walking off
“I am going to be cooking dinner soon do you want anything particular?” asks Abbe turning to Nathan
“No surprise me, but don’t go stressing out or go into too much details or get to complicated, ok?” says Nathan
Yes, Saara already told me not to.” said Abbe
“And you are NOT doing the dishes got that, Saara and I will.” states Nathan
“Where is Georgia?” asks Abbe
“Not sure she might be in her room, if not then I don’t know where she is.” says Nathan
“Ok thanks, dinner will be ready in 30, ok?” asks Abbe
“Yep.” says Nathan as he retreats back into his room

With that Abbe leaves the room and enters the kitchen and begins to cook spaghetti Bolognese. When that is under the way she walks out of the kitchen and down to her room to fetch her book so she can read while cooking since its is going to take a while. As she walks past Georgia’s room she knocks on the door.
“Come in.” came a voice coming from behind the door
So Abbe opens the door and sticks her head in only to see Georgia reading and listening to music
“Dinner will be in 15 just to let you know.” says Abbe as she pops her head around the door
“Ok, what’s for tea?” ask Georgia
“Spaghetti Bolognese” replies Abbe
“Yum” says Georgia turning back to what she was doing before Abbe interrupted her

So Abbe closes the door and hurries back to the kitchen to finish cooking. When dinner is finished she dishes out the food and calls everyone to retrieve his or her food. They decide to eat in the living room while watching a movie. After Abbe finishes eating which isn’t much she goes into the kitchen and despite what Nathan said she starts cleaning up the dishes. When Saara and Nathan hear water and the clashing of dishes clanging together they get up and walk into the kitchen and Nathan says sternly “Abbe put the dishes down and step away from the sink.”
“But you guys are watching a movie and I didn’t want to disturb you.” says Abbe taken aback
“Abbe I told you we will do the dishes this time, and no more arguments.” says Saara sternly
“Fine, I will be in my room, if you need any help. Oh the rest of the spaghetti is for Trish.” says Abbe as she stalks out of the kitchen
“Ok then we will just put it on a plate and put it in the microwave for her.” calls Georgia

With that Abbe walks out of the kitchen and heads to her room were Rosie is waiting outside her window to come in to be fed then to go out for her night fly.
“Hey Rosie, come on let’s get you fed.” says Abbe
As Rosie flies in and settles herself down on her cage, Abbe takes out her dinner and prepares Rosie’s dinner that consists of fruit and vegetable. Once Rosie is fed Abbe puts on a CD, called Reflector by Planetshakers. Once that is playing she gets changed into her PJ’s and settles down on her bed and begins to finish her novel. By this time it’s about 7:00pm she has finish her novel and has started another one. By 8:00 she’s half was through her other novel and by this time her CD has finished playing. She puts her novel on her bed and gets up to change the CD, just as she is about to put on “All of the Above” by Hillsong there is a knock in the door.”
“Come in.” calls Abbe as she settles down on her bed again
Georgia sticks her head around the door and says,
“Hey, Abbe…Do you want to come and watch a movie with us?” asks Georgia
“No, I think I will just read and listen to music tonight, but thanks for the offer. Maybe another time.” says Abbe
“Ok, but if you change your mind just come out and join us. Ok” says Georgia
“Ok.” replies Abbe as she picks up her novel again

When Georgia leaves Abbe presses play on the CD player and as it begins to play, she looks up the lyrics in the display folder that Saara lent her to practice if she is going to start singing in the church’s youth worship band. As Abbe sings Saara walks past her room and begins listening to her through the door. After the song finishes Saara moves along careful not to make too much noise so that Abbe isn’t startled by sudden noise. Abbe on the other hand starts to sing the next song on the CD. As Saara walks back past Abbe’s room to rejoin the others who are watching a movie she stops again to hear Abbe sing, once Abbe finishes the song Saara knocks on the door without hesitation, this startles Abbe but she soon recovers and says
“Come in.” calls Abbe
“Abbe I don’t mean to startle you or anything but I would just like to say that you have a fantastic voice and that I would be honored if you join the worship band at church, what do you say?” asks Saara
“I don’t know, how did you even know I was singing…you can hear me in the lounge room can you, I knew I shouldn’t have sung to loudly.” says Abbe a little shocked by the fact the someone could hear her
“No we can’ hear you in the lounge room I just happened to have walked past the bedroom door and I heard you sing then, that’s how I know.” reassures Saara
“Oh, well in that case then I will think about it, I don’t want to make any sudden decisions yet not until I have settled in and that, If that’s ok with you?” asks Abbe
“Yes that’s it perfectly fine with me, but I would really like you to join us we could really use a voice like your among the singers.” says Saara
“Ok well I will think about it and get back to you later on. Right now I think I will hit the hay. I am really tired.” says Abbe with a big yawn
“Ok then I will see you tomorrow morning, I think I might either have the day off or I only have to go in for half a day, but either way do you want to do something together, I think I would have to take Georgia and Nathan to work if they have to work, but other than that I don’t have anything on.” says Saara
“Ok only if you want to I don’t mind it’s up to you.” says Abbe
“Abbe, are you always like this?” asks Saara
“Yes, my parents were never around so I never really did anything ever in my life. I guess you could say that I have never really been anywhere other than places that my parents had to go to for a court case or to assist in a crime or something like that and even then I would spend most of the time in the hotel room reading or cooking. Did you know that when ever my parents got called out somewhere and I had to go I would most of the time end up being the group’s chef? It was fun most of the time until it came to when the police officer began to ask for more than I could give that’s when things would get out of hand.” says Abbe
“But you parents would step in and defend you right?” asks Saara
“No, they were the kind of parents that would pretend that I wasn’t there child that I was some random kid they picked up off the street and turned her into a slave for the officers own amusement. “ says Abbe
“Abbe that’s horrible.” says Saara
“I got use to it though. Well anyways I will see you in the morning because I don’t know how much longer I can keep from falling asleep on my feet.” says Abbe
“Ok, come here.” says Saara
So Saara gives Abbe a hug and a kiss on the forehead before retreating from Abbe’s room. Once Saara has gone Abbe closes the door and turns off the CD player then climbs into bed and falls asleep almost instantly. When Saara rejoins the others the first thing she says is
“Abbe is one amazing singer; we really should get her to join the worship band, we could really use her in the band. She just captures everyone’s attention.” says Saara as she sits down next to Georgia
“Have you actually heard Abbe sing yet?” asks Georgia
“Yes I have three times today actually. Once in the car on the way home from Koorong and twice just then.” confirms Saara
“Does she even know that you heard her singing?” questioned Nathan
“Yes, I told her that I think she should join the worship band.” says Saara
“What did she say to that?” enquired Georgia
“I’ll think about it, but I think if we keep asking her then she will eventually give in. I think you should someday soon hear her sing.” says Saara
“Maybe one day but right now I want to get back to the movie if you don’t mind.” declares Nathan
“Ok… fine but I am telling you she is a great singer and should join the worship band.” says Saara

With that Saara sits down and continues watching the movie. When the movie finishes it is almost 11:30 and Georgia and Saara say goodnight to Nathan and Trish and go to bed. Trish stays up a little bit longer so her body can digest some of her dinner that Abbe had made earlier, Nathan however stays up and watched another move and doesn’t go to bed until almost 2:00 in the morning. The next morning Saara gets up to Georgia banging on the door tell her to get up and take her to work for her an overtime shift that she picked up.
“Yeah…yeah I’m up…I’M UP GEORGIA YOU CAN STOP THAT RECKET NOW, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO WAKE UP THE ENTIRE HOUSE. KNOCK IT OFF OR YOU CAN WALK.” yells Saara over top of the banging that Georgia is causing. After that Georgia walks off and lets Saara get up and dressed so she can take her to work. When Saara enters the dining room all she sees is Trish and Georgia.
“Is Abbe still asleep?” questions Saara
“No, I don’t know where she is. We thought you might, but I am guessing you don’t?” replies Georgia
“No. So she was up and gone before any of you were up.” enquires Saara
“Yep that’s right. She would have left quite early then because I was up at 5:00 this morning, and noticed that her door was open and she wasn’t in there.” says Trish
“Ok then after I drop this noisy one off at work I will go to the other house to see if she is there if not I will look until I can’t look anymore.” replies Saara
“Ok but don’t get too carried away if she isn’t back by tonight then we will call the police. I know you think that the police have already gotten involved a lot already but it’s our only other option. Ok” says Trish
“Yep, Saara do you think you can pi…” starts Georgia
“Pick you up after you finished work? What time do you finish?” finishes Saara
“Yeah, I finish at 3:00 and I have to be there in twenty minutes so we should be going.” says Georgia
“Yep, I’ll call you later mum and let you know what’s happening.” says Saara
“Ok, I’ll let Nathan know what’s happening; he might know where she is.” says Trish
“That is most unlikely he was up until at least 2:30, he wouldn’t know where she is.” says Georgia
“Maybe not but he should at least know what’s going on don’t you think?” says Trish
“Yeah whatever Saara we have to go NOW or I will be late.” says Georgia almost yelling
“Yes…yes I am coming. Let’s go, bye mum.” calls Saara as Georgia practically drags Saara out of the house car keys in hand

Georgia finally letting go of Saara’s hand and give her the car key; both getting into the car. A few minutes later they drive off. Mean while Abbe is at the other house, she got up at 3:20 in the morning and found that she couldn’t sleep so she decided that she would go over to the other house and sleep there with Rosie. When Abbe got to the house she fumbled with the lock trying to get it unlocked after a while she did get it unlocked when she did she opened the door and stepped into the foyer on last time. Suddenly she realizes how tired she is and makes her way down to her parent’s old room and gets into bed. She is still asleep when Saara opens the front door and ventures into the foyer only to see Rosie perched on the grandstand at the end of the foyer.
“Where is Abbe? Is she here? If she is, take me to her?” asks Saara
At that Rosie takes off and Saara fallows as quickly as she can. Rosie leads Saara to Abbe’s parent old room where Abbe is fast asleep in the bed.
“She looks like a little princess when she is asleep. I wonder how heavy she is.” asks Saara to no one in particular
Saara wonders over to where Abbe is asleep and picks her up only realizing that Abbe is really light. With Abbe in her arms she walks back out to were her car is parked in the drive way and goes to lock the door.
“Rosie come on its time to go.” says Saara to Rosie
Rosie flies out and lands on Abbe’s shoulder. With the house securely locked Saara climbs into the car and begins the short drive home. When they arrive back Saara carries Abbe inside and lays her down in Abbe’s bed. Rosie follows Abbe and Saara everywhere they go.

With Abbe sleeping peacefully in her bed with Rosie at her side, Saara makes a phone call to Trish.
“Hello Captain Trish speaking, how can I help you?” says the voice at the other end of the phone
“Sounds very professional mum.” says Saara
“Oh hi Saara, is everything ok? Did you find Abbe? I have been worried sick about her all morning, all I have done is pray and pray all morning people around here are starting to get a little agitated about it all…” asks Trish
“Mum…Mum everything is ok, Abbe is asleep in bed. I found her at the other house. I knew something like this would happen sometime soon, but she is fine. She must have sneaked out after Nathan finally went to bed and before you got up.” says Saara
“That’s such a relief. When she wakes up can you get her to call me I want to have a talk with her.” says Trish
“Mum don’t be too hard on her, this is all new to her.” says Saara
“I know I just want to let her know that I was worried sick about her and I don’t know what I would do without her.” replies Trish
“I don’t think anyone would know what to do without her…God brought her into our lives for a reason and I think it’s about time we sign those adoption papers before something happens to her.” says Saara
“Yeah you’re right; I’ll get them mailed over today so we will have them in a few days. Before we get them I think while Abbe is out some were we should talk about it before we sign the papers.” says Trish
“But what would Abbe do?” asks Saara
“I got a call yesterday from an officer regarding Abbe’s parents will. They would like Abbe to go over to the police station in the next couple of days to talk to Abbe about the will. That could be our chance to talk about adopting her.” says Trish
“Yeah maybe, but how would Abbe get to the station?” asks Saara
“The station is only about ten minute walk for our house I think Abbe can manage to get there on her own don’t you think. She’s old enough.” says Trish firmly
“Ok…Ok I’ll have a talk to her about the will and see if I can talk her into going alone to the station tomorrow. Is that good enough?” asks Saara
“Yes that’s fine. Would you talk to Nathan and Georgia about the meeting please I have a ton of work to get through so I don’t think I will be home till late again.” says Trish
“Mum you’re going to tire yourself out if you keep doing this to yourself, Abbe wants a mother that’s not stressed; she wants a mother that she can go to in time of need for she has never had a person like that. Her parents were always cruel to her; they would turn her into a slave almost when they went away. Her parents were never around she would always have to forget about her feelings. We have to teacher her as a family that it’s not ok to bottle up feelings and that they should be shared with the people you love and trust the most.” says Saara
“Saara I am not going to try and replace Abbe’s mother.” says Trish
“I know but if you knew what Abbe told me yesterday then you would be heartbroken about how they treated her.” says Saara
“How do they treat her then?” asks Trish
“I am going to let you ask her yourself.” says Saara
“She seems to tell you everything.” points out Trish
“I don’t think she trusts you enough yet, just give her some time. She not use to being in a loving, caring AND trusting family.” says Saara
“Ok…well I should get back to work. Get Abbe to call me when she wakes up.” says Trish
“Yes mum, but she might be a little scared about you wanting her to call you.” agrees Saara
“I know but just get her to, talk to you later alright?” say Trish
“Yeah. Bye.” says Saara
Once Saara hangs up she goes into the kitchen and makes herself some noodles and sits herself in front of the TV and begins to watch ‘Underworld’. Just as the movie is finishing Abbe walks into the living room where Saara is watching ‘Underworld’.
“Hey Saara what time is it?” asks Abbe a little sleepily
“It’s about 3:15ish the last I checked.” says Saara
“Oh crap I have been asleep for that long, why didn’t you wake me?” asks Abbe
“Because I know you would be tired after that long journey to the other house that you endured last night.” says Saara
“How…how did you know about that?” asks Abbe
“How do you think you got back last night? When we realized that you were missing, I went out to look for you and that first place a checked was the other house. When I saw Rosie I immediately knew that you were there.” says Saara
“But house did you get me back from there to here without waking me up?” says Abbe amazed by that
“You were in a deep sleep and you were light…to light. Have you been eating properly lately? Come with me lets go and weigh you.” says Saara practically dragging her to the bath room
“Saara there is no need, I am perfectly healthy…” says Abbe struggling to get free of Saara’s grip
“That’s for me to deicide; come with me there is a scale in the bathroom.” says Saara with a firm hold of Abbe’s wrist

Without saying anymore Saara leads her to the bathroom, when they are in the bathroom standing in front of the scale, Abbe being her obedient self steps onto the scale and watch the number go up and down and come to a stop at.
“Abbe, we have to get you to a doctor and soon, you are seriously underweight.” says Saara shocked by the number that the scale stopped at
“No I’m not I am fine Saara, I don’t need to go to the doctors. I have had enough of them already I am not going again and that’s final” says Abbe firmly
“Ok fine. But Abbe I want you to start eating more often ok. Come let’s get something to eat now and no you’re not cooking, I will cook something for you. Now sit down and watch some TV for a while. No actually I want you to call mum. I called her earlier to let her know that you were home and she wants you to call her when you get up. Ok so do that now. You know where her number is right?” says Saara as she makes up her mind
“Yes” says Abbe meekly
“Ok then lunch will be ready in 10 minutes.” says Saara
“Why does Trish want me to call her?” asks Abbe
“I don’t know, she just does, what don’t you phone and find out?” replies Saara
“Ok, fine.” says Abbe

At this time they have left the bathroom and have walked into the living room. From their Abbe walks into the kitchen to were that cordless phone is. Abbe takes the phone and begins to dial Trish’s work number. As that phone connects Abbe steals a glance at Saara who is cooking what looks like eggs.
“Hello Trish speaking.” says the voice on the other end of the phone
“Hi Trish it’s…” starts Abbe
“Abbe, thank God you’re ok, I was so worried about you.” cuts off Trish
“Trish why did you want me to call you?” asks Abbe
“I wanted to hear your voice…I wanted to hear for myself that you were alright.” says Trish
“I am fine, I’m sorry I scared you like that.” says Abbe
“It’s alright but we need to talk about your chores and what you are going to be doing at church on Sunday. Ok?” asks Trish
“Oh ok, but church isn’t for a couple of days yet.” replies Abbe
“I know, but I have heard that you have a magnificent voice.” says Trish
“Who told you that? I have only sung when no one is a within ear shot.” asks Abbe startled
“Saara has heard you before on your way home from Koorong and when you were in your room singing.” replies Trish
“Oh, but I don’t know what songs you sing at church and even if I did I wouldn’t know the lyrics or how to sing them. I don’t go to church very often, and when I do they always sing hymns.” says Abbe
“What church did you use to go to?” asks Trish
“Plenty Valley Baptist Church.” replies Abbe
“Ok. Yeah we are a lot different to a Baptist church.” says Trish
“So what type of song do you sing at church?” asks Abbe
“If you go into the living room there should be a bookcase were there are a bunch of CD’s towards the top shelf. Do you see them?” asks Trish “Yep, there should be one that’s an I worship CD pack.” continues Trish
“Yep I got it.” says Abbe
“Listen to the second CD songs ‘The Love of God’ and ‘She Must and Shall Go Free’ and the first CD to songs ‘The Potters Hand’ and ‘Jesus you’re Beautiful” directs Trish
“Ok” says Abbe while looking at the song list
“Out of those songs I would like you to choose two, to sing on Sunday.” says Trish
“Would I have to sing?” asks Abbe
“Not if you don’t want you, but eventually you will have to do something in the Sunday service, but just listen to those songs and I’ll talk to you later alright?” replies Trish
“Ok.” says Abbe hanging up the phone
With the phone back where it belongs she gets up and takes the CDs back to her room and puts on the second CD and begins listening to ‘Love of God’ as the music begins to play she realizes that there is a book with all the lyrics. She flips to the lyrics of ‘Love of God’ and begins to sing along. Once the song is over she flips through the other songs to ‘She Must and Shall go Free’. Half way through the song there is a knock on the door.
“Come in Saara.” calls Abbe
“How did you know it was Me.” asks Saara as she pokes her head around the door
“You are the only other person home silly.” replies Abbe
“Right, what…no I’m not Nathan’s home too, but he is still in his room.” says Saara
“Oh, well I still knew it was you.” replies Abbe
“I know, how was your talk with mum?” asks Saara
“It’s was fine she’s giving me a choice in choosing two slow songs for Sunday.” says Abbe
“Which songs are you choosing from?” asks Saara
“She has given me a choice from ‘Love of God’, ‘She must and Shall go Free’, ‘Jesus you’re Beautiful’ and ‘The Potters Hand’.” replies Abba
“Those are nice songs; it’ll be hard for you to choose. Have you listened to all of them?” asks Saara
“No I have only listened to two of them.” replies Abbe
“Oh well you can listen to the other two later right now it’s time for lunch. It’s time to get some food into you. I am not going to have you starve on my watch. Come on now.” says Saara taking Abbes hand
“OK…ok I’m coming. Saara?” asks Abbe
“Mmmm…” replies Saara
“Do you think I would make a good singer at church?” wonders Abbe
“Yes, I really do. Are you thinking about joining us?” asks Saara
“It’s a thought but I’m not sure yet. I’ll see how I go on Sunday ok?” says Abbe
“Ok, eat up food almost cold.” replies Saara
Abbe finishes her lunch in silence careful not to give Saara the impression that she was hungry when really she was.
“Are you still hungry Abbe?” asks Saara
“No, I’ll do the dishes ok?” replies Abbe
“Ok, I can see you’ve made up your mind. After you have finished the dishes do you want to go to the movies or something?” says Saara
“I don’t mind, it’s up to you. Is Nathan still here?” asks Abbe as she gathers up the dishes
“Yes I think so. I’ll go check. He should be leaving soon anyhow because he has football training soon.” says Saara
“Ok. I’ll be in the kitchen.” says Abbe
Abbe clears the table while Saara goes and sees if Nathan is awake. Once Abbe finishes clearing the table she goes into the kitchen she starts washing the dishes. Just as she was finishing putting the dishes away Nathan and Saara walk in.
“Abbe I am going to take Nathan to football training will you be ok on your own or do you want to come with us?” asks Saara
“No I’ll be fine, see yeah soon.” replies Abbe

With that Saara and Nathan walk out of the front door leaving Abbe with the house to herself, Rosie hasn’t been home for a few days. Abbe walks back into the living room and begins watching a movie called ‘Mean Girls’. When Abbe is only half way through the movie Saara returns with a small tube of ice cream and chips.
“What are they for?” asks Abbe
“For us of course who else? What are you watching? So you finally are starting to realize that you have access to everything here.” says Saara
“I’m watching ‘Mean Girls’ the only reason I wouldn’t watch any TV earlier was because I didn’t know how to use the TV that’s all.” points out Abbe
“Oh, why didn’t you say anything I could have taught you.” says Saara
“Georgia taught me yesterday. So now I know how to use the TV I probably will be watching it a bit more often.” says Abbe
“That’s good. Do you mind if I join you?” asks Saara
“No at all. Not. At. All.” says Abbe quietly
“Ok do you want some chips now or some ice cream?” asks Saara
“I don’t mind.” replies Abbe
“Abbe choose or do I have to tip ice cream on you.” laughs Saara
“Fine I’ll have some chips but I am still full from breakfast or should I say lunch.” says Abbe
“Oh well I’ll make sure you eat all the chips that I give you.” says Saara with a smile
“Do you need a hand?” asks Abbe
“For heaven’s sake Abbe you have to stop offering to help us so much.” says Saara
“So I guess you don’t need my help then?” sighs Abbe
“No I don’t.” says Saara

While Saara is in the kitchen Abbe goes to the toilet but she still beats Saara back to the lounge room. When Saara returns to the lounge room she find Abbe sitting on the couch just where she left her. Saara walks over and sits down next to Abbe and they finish watching the movie while eating chicken flavored chips. Towards the end of the movie Abbe gets so tired that she falls asleep on Saara’s shoulder. When the movie is finished Saara picks up Abbe and carries her back to her room and lays her on her bed. When Abbe is in bed, Saara goes back the lounge room and finds the phone and dials the local doctor and makes an appointment for Abbe to visit the doctor as soon as possible. For Saara fear that there might be something really wrong with Abbe. When the appointment is made she calls her mum.
“Hello Captain Trish speaking… how may I help you.” says Trish on the other end of the phone
“Hey mum.” says Saara
“Saara is that you or is it Georgia, I get confused you to sound so much a like these days on the phone.” says Trish
“Its Saara, mum.” replies Saara
“Saara hi, what can an old person do for you?” says Trish
“Mum I’m worried about Abbe, she’s been spending most of her time sleeping that when she’s awake, I just made an appointment at the doctors for her but I don’t know what to do.” says Saara with a hint of fear in her voice
“Saara why didn’t you tell me sooner” asks Trish
”Because I didn’t want to worry you.” was the reply
“Well I am already worried about her so I guess that doesn’t matter. When did you start noticing that she was spending most of her time sleeping?” asks Trish
“A couple days ago but at first I thought it was because she was still getting use to live in a strange house. But now I don’t think that’s the reason, I think something happened when she was in the coma at camp. I think it affected her brain somehow. But I don’t know.” says Saara
“Saara I think you’re right, something did happen to her when she was n that extremely long coma. Have you come across any other symptoms?” asks Trish
“Yes, she has been lately been swaying more often like she is dizzy or something. Another thing she keeps volumes to a minimum as if she is trying to avoid a high amount of noise. It’s as if she is having constant headaches of something.” says Saara
“Well if that’s the case then she might have some brain pressure or a vast amount of fluid in the brain or around the brain, if that’s the case then we need to get her to the hospital as soon as possible.” says Trish
“But we don’t know for sure if that’s the problem.” says Saara
“The why don’t you find out from Abbe when she wakes up.” says Trish
“Ok, I’ll ask her when she wakes up.” agrees Saara
“If she isn’t awake in half an hour then I want you to wake her up yourself, because if she sleeps much longer than that then she won’t be able to sleep tonight. I hope she’s alright. She would tell you if she wasn’t feeling well right?” asks Trish
“I don’t think she would do that I think she thinks that she is a burden so she tries to not ask for much.” replies Saara
“I thing she needs to know that there is a place in this house and in our hearts for her what do you think?” asks Trish
“Yeah, I think we should take her out somewhere because she hasn’t been out much since we came home from camp.” says Saara
“Yeah we can take her out on Sunday after church. How’s that?” asks Trish
“That’s perfect, where should we take her out to?” wonder Saara
“How about we decide that later…once we find out whether Abbe is alright or not. Ok?” says Saara
“Good plan, I’ll talk to you later Saara. Call me once you find out about Abbe whether you have to go to the hospital or not.” says Trish
“Ok mum…bye.” says Saara
Once Saara got off the phone she goes and checks on Abbe only to find that she is on the floor.
“Abbe…Abbe can you hear me…if you can squeeze my hands.” says Saara desperately
With no response she gets up and runs for the house phone and calls 000 while trying to find Abbe’s pulse when she finally finds it she has finished on the phone. When that’s done, Saara calls Trish so she knows what’s happening.
“Hello Trish speaking how may I help…?” starts Trish
“Hey mum, I haven’t got long but Abbe is unconscious and the ambulance is on its way so if you want you can meet us at the hospital now or after work.” says Saara
“I’ll meet you there when I can…ok.” Is Georgia home or Nathan?” replies Trish
“No, I’ll call them when I get to the hospital the ambulance is here I got to go now ok talk to you soon.” says Saara just before she disconnects the phone
When Saara hangs up the phone…there is a knock at the door.
“Hello?” asks Saara as she opens the door to see that the paramedics have arrived
“Ma’am I believe that there was a call put in an emergency call?” says the female paramedic
“Yes right this way, she was having a nap and when I went in she was of the floor unconscious, lately she has been acting like she was dizzy or something, and the way she has been acting around noise I think she might also be having content headaches as well, my mum thinks she might have either a vast amount of fluid or pressure in her brain, but we aren’t sure. About a week ago she was in a coma so I am not sure if that’s what caused this or not.” says Saara a little hurriedly
“Ok thank you very much. I would have to ask you to come to the hospital with us once we are done here, if that’s alright.” says the same paramedic
“Yes that’s fine I knew that would happened. I’ll just get my bag.” says Saara as she rushed out of the room
“Ok, we will be ready in 5 minutes.” calls the paramedic
Once Saara has gathered all her stuff and with a few minutes to spare she gets some of Abbe’s belongings.
“Ma’am we are ready to go.” says the male paramedic

Saara then makes her way towards the ambulance where one of the paramedics told her to sit in the front. Once they arrive at the hospital Abbe under goes emergency surgery on her head to release as much as the fluid as possible without doing too much harm to her brain. While Abbe is in surgery Saara makes a couple of phone calls one to Nathan letting him know what’s happening and another to Georgia letting her know that she will either has to walk home or walk to the hospital.
“I’ll walk to the hospital so I can keep you company, is mum going to be there soon?” says Georgia
“I don’t know you know how her work load can be. She said she will try.” replies Trish
“Ok how long has Abbe been in surgery?” asks Georgia
“An hour or more, I have lost track now.” says Saara
“Oh well I am on my way now so I should be there shortly.” promises Georgia
When Saara gets off the phone the doctor that was performing surgery on Abbe come up to her.
“Miss Hawthorn?” says the doctor
“Yes?” replies Saara
“I am please to announce that we have successfully drained the excess fluid that was found in Abbe’s brain, if all goes well she can go home later on tonight if she is conscious, she is still unconscious right now but you can go in.” says the doctor
“Thank you very much, doctor.” says Saara clasping her hands over his out stretched hand

When the doctor leaves Saara at the door leading into Abbe’s room, Saara walks in and sits in the seat provided next to Abbe’s hospital bed. About 20 minutes later when Abbe still hasn’t waken up the doctor come in with a worried look on his face
“What, what’s wrong. Is there something wrong?” asks Saara when she sees the look on the doctor’s face
“Abbe hasn’t waken up yet, and that’s not normal, for someone to be releases form anesthetic it shouldn’t take this long for her so come around. You said that she was in a coma not so long ago and you think that’s what might have caused the vast amount of fluid, how long was she in the coma for?” asks the doctor
“I think it was about 2 days but it was a serious coma one that not many people wake up from so I am told.” replies Saara
“Yes ok, I think that still has an effect on her body, that’s why she hasn’t woken up yet. I’ll give her another 30 minutes before I take action.” confirms the doctor
Just as the doctor were leaving Georgia and Nathan both arrive with rollerblades hanging around their shoulders.
“Nathan, Georgia! What are you doing here?” calls Saara
“Come to keep you company of course.” replies Georgia
“Abbe hasn’t woken up yet which is unusual; she got out of surgery 30 minutes ago. The doctor’s going to give her 20 minutes longer and hope that she wakes up.” says Saara
“Abbe…Abbe…Abbe…your quite the girl who can’t stay out of trouble with health.” says Nathan
“Do you think Abbe has gone into a coma again?” asks Georgia
“I don’t know. I hope not. I could barely get by when Abbe was last in the coma.” says Saara
“I don’t think Abbe will be going to Easter Camp next year. I think she feels bad for causing all that trouble while she was there.” says Georgia
“Yeah you’re right about that Georgia.” agrees Abbe
“Abbe you’re awake. Thank God for that. I thought you were in another coma again. You’re doing a fine job at scaring the crap out of us that’s for sure.” replies Saara completely relived that Abbes awake
“What happened?” asks Abbe
“You were unconscious on the floor in your room. Do you care to tell us why you didn’t tell us that you weren’t feeling will that you were having headaches and feeling dizzy all the time?” demands Saara
“I didn’t want to be any trouble… I’m sorry.” stammers Abbe
“It’s alright but remember we care about you. We want you to be able to trust us and come to us if you have any worries or if you aren’t feeling well.” says Georgia
“Ok.” says Abbe
“Welcome back Abbe. It’s nice to know that you are awake. How do you feel?” asks the doctor
“I’m alright, but my head hurts a bit.” says Abbe
“Well that’s normal; we had to drill a hole through your skull so we could drain the fluid. If you want we can give you some painkillers for it.” offers the doctor
“No it’s alright.” says Abbe
“Ok well then we will see how you go for the next 30 minutes and if all is well then you can be discharged, right before dinner. How does that sound?” asks the doctor
“That sounds good.” replies Abbe
When the doctor leaves Saara gets up
“I should call mum and ask her to pick us up. I came in the Ambulance therefore we have no way of getting home.” says Saara
“Ok, Nathan and I can keep Abbe company.” replies Georgia
“Yeah that is if I don’t fall asleep.” says Abbe
“Abbe it’s ok to sleep; the stuff they gave you would probably make you drowsy.” says Saara
A few minutes later Saara is on the phone to Trish and Abbe has fallen asleep and Nathan and Georgia are talking amongst each other.
By the time the doctor has come back Abbe has awaken and Trish is only just arriving in her Salvation Army uniform.
“Well Abbe it looks like you’re all set to go home.” says the doctor
“Ok.” replies Abbe
“Come on Abbe lets get you home.” says Trish as Saara supports all the way out to the car. Trish and Saara sits in the front while Georgia and Abbe sits on either side of the window in the back seat. Nathan sits in the middle between Georgia and Abbe.

Once they arrived home Abbe attempts to get out of the car on her own only to find that her legs gave way and she ended up sitting on the curb right by the back door of the car.
“Abbe, you just got out of hospital you can’t expect to be doing this on your own so soon.” says Trish through the car window
“But…but…I…I don’t want to be a bother.” says Abbe under labored breath
“Abbe you not going to be a bother, your one of the family and families look after each other.” says Nathan
“I can do this, at least let me walk to the door by myself. If I can’t achieve this then…then, I don’t know.” says Abbe
“Abbe you can do this.” encourages Saara.

As Abbe struggles to stand she leans on the car for support. Once she is standing, she takes one step the stop to regain her balance. She takes another couple the stops again, and all the while Saara never leaves Abbe’s side, encouraging her all the way. When Abbe finally gets to the door she almost falls asleep on her feet.
“Come on Abbe lets get you to bed, you’ve worn yourself out but I am proud of you, you have a lot of determination when you set your mind to It.” says Saara

Once Saara puts Abbe to bed, she walks into the dining room were the others are.
“Did Abbe make it to the door on her own?” asks Georgia
“Yes and now she is sleeping because she has worn herself out right to the bone.” replies Saara
“That’s good, so I guess she isn’t joining us for diner then.” says Georgia
“I guess not. So what is for diner?” asks Nathan
“What ever you want.” replies Trish
“Ok then I will have some noodle, does anyone else what noodles?” asks Nathan

While Saara cooks the noodle for everyone who wants noodle, the others who aren’t asleep sit in the lounge room and start to talk about Abbe and what we should do to make her feel more welcome in being part of the family.
“How about a family outing like going ‘bowling’ or something?” suggests Georgia
“That’s a good idea Georgia. What other ideas we could do at a family outing? We have ‘bowling’, and I put in ‘going out for dinner’.” says Trish
“How about going ‘Mini Golf’ or a ‘movie night’ or even going ‘Rollerblading’ suggests Nathan
“Ok, so...so far we have...‘Bowling’, ‘Movie night’, ‘Mini Golf’, ‘Going out for dinner’, and ‘Rollerblading’, any other suggestions?” says Trish
“Before we go any further should we wait for Saara and see if she has any suggestions?” asks Nathan
“No I don’t have anything to add.” calls Saara
“Well... there’s your answer Nathan.” says Georgia
“How are we going to decide what to do?” asks Saara
“I was thinking of doing a 1-5, 1 meaning the best thing to do and 5 being the worst. How does that sound?” answers Trish
“Yep ok I’ll bring out paper in a few minutes; the noodles are just about done.

Once Saara brings out the paper, pencils and dinner for some people, they set to work in numbering 1-5. After that’s done Trish collects them up and tallies them. While she is doing that Georgia turns on the TV and puts on ‘Friends’. Trish waits until friends is finished before she tell them the result because she knows that they ‘LOVE’ friends. Once ‘Friends’ is over Trish turns off the TV so she knows that she has everyone’s attention.
“The result of our surprise family outing is ‘bowling’ with 3 out of 4 voting for it as number 1. So on Sunday we all will be going bowling as a surprise for Abbe to make her feel more like the family”
“Cool. I can’t wait, but we must keep it a secret from Abbe.” says Georgia
“Yeah of course.” agrees Nathan, Saara and Trish
At about that time Abbe walks into the room.
“Hi Abbe, did you have a good sleep?” asks Trish
“Yeah, what time is it?” asks Abbe
“It’s about 7:45. Are you hungry? Do you want me to fix something to eat?” asks Saara
“No I’m fine. I’ll get something later...maybe.” says Abbe
“Abbe, I really think you should eat. You haven’t had much to eat yet today have you?” says Trish
“No, but Trish I am not hungry. What are you watching?” asks Abbe
“‘Friends’ do you watch them?” replies Nathan
“I hardly watch TV. If I do watch TV then it’s usually the news or what ever interests me. Sometimes I would only have to TV on for company.” says Abbe
“Oh, ok then sit down and watch it with us.” encourages Saara
“Ok.” says Abbe

So Abbe sits down next to Saara and watch ‘Friends’ with everyone, until her eyes got so heavy the she was about to fall asleep. Thankfully Saara noticed and said
“Abbe it’s getting late I think its time for you to go to bed.” suggest Saara
“MMMM…ok. I’ll see you guys in the morning.” says Abbe
“Goodnight Abbe. Sleep well.” says Trish
Just as Saara was about to leave Abbe’s room when Abbe speaks up
“Saara?” asks Abbe
“Yes Abbe?” replies Saara
“Why are you doing all this for me?” asks Abbe
“Because when Nathan was about 2 years old we lost out father to lung cancer, so we know what its like to loose a parent, but loosing two would be much harder.” says Saara
“Yeah but still why are you doing all this for me?” asks Abbe
“Because we care about you.” was Saara’s reply
“But…but…” starts Abbe
“Go to sleep Abbe. This is your home and stop thinking about why we are doing this for you, you are one of us now.” says Saara calmly
“Thank- You Saara for all you’ve done for Me.” says Abbe just as she was falling asleep.
“Your welcome Abbe.” says Saara.
Only Abbe doesn’t hear her because she is in a reckless sleep, filled with nightmares and horror clips from her past. When Saara walks into the lounge room, only Trish is there everyone else has gone to bed too.
“You know what Abbe asked before she fell asleep?” asks Saara as she plunks onto the sofa next to Trish
“No.” says Trish
“She asked why we are doing all this for her.” replies Saara
“What you say to her?” asks Trish
“I told her about dad.” replies Saara
“Oh, so you didn’t mention Annabelle then.” says Trish
“No I didn’t think it was the right time.” replies Saara
“No it’s not. I want to be the one to tell her about Annabelle.” says Trish
“I thought so.” says Saara
“While I was at work today I took it upon me to find out a bit about Abbe’s back ground, and her family.” says Trish
“Mmmm.” mumbles Saara
“Guess what I found out.” asks Trish
“If it’s the fact that Abbe has a younger brother who died 3 years ago, then I already know about that.” says Saara
“No its not that, did you know that Abbe had an older sister?” asks Trish
“No, what do you mean ‘had’” asks Saara
“When Abbe was 6 years old, her brother was 2, her sister Louisa killed herself. Louisa was 13.” says Trish
“Oh, why didn’t Abbe say anything about this earlier?” wonders Saara
“I think it’s because of the memory?” says Trish
“‘Memory?’” questions Saara
“Yeah, it was said to say that Abbe was there when Louisa killed herself. Abbe never talked to her parents about it. But I think her parents blame her for Louisa’s death.” says Trish
“That’s horrible.” says Saara
“Yes, very. When Michael died; that’s her brother; her parents hated her even more.” says Trish
“Did they blame her again?” asks Saara
“That’s what I think anyways. Those newspapers only revile so much. Only Abbe can fill in the missing pieces.” says Trish
“I don’t want to pressure her too much; she’s already going through hell right now.” says Saara
“Yes I know. But have a look at the clipping from the newspaper.” says Trish

‘Suicide strikes again’

‘The death of a beloved daughter and sister has turned the Blackburn family upside down. Louisa was 13 when she hung herself in the family orchard down behind there family home in Whittlesea. Abbe Blackburn was the one to find her sister hanging from the apple tree at 6:30pm.
“I was sent to find her for dinner was ready when I saw her hanging from the rope. I screamed.” Said Abbe, age 6
“When I heard Abbe screaming I rushed out to her only to find Louisa hanging from a tree. We had high hopes for her. She was going to go to boarding school at the end of the month to learn how to be a police officer. Like me.” Said Constable Ally Blackburn…’

“That’s horrible, no wonder Abbe wouldn’t talk about it, but what did they mean by ‘suicide strikes again?’” asks Saara
“If you look at the statistic from that year, then you would realize. Just in Whittlesea there were 25 suicide attempts with in that year and 15 deaths caused by suicide all aged between 10-15.” says Trish
“That’s a big number for such a small town.” says Saara
“Yes it is, but since then the number has gone down a bit.” replies Trish
“Do you know the reason why Louisa committed suicide?” asks Saara
“I no I don’t know. Abbe probably knows though.” says Trish
“I don’t want to bring it up yet.” says Saara
“Saara how about this, you take the clipping and stick it in Abbe’s arts portfolio?” asks Trish
“Ok, I’ll do that now.” says Saara

Only when Saara walked off did Trish get up and go to bed. When Saara finished putting the newspaper clipping in Abbe’s art portfolio Saara too went to bed like everyone else, but laid awake for a long time thinking about all Trish told her. It was almost 1:00am before Saara actually fell asleep. It’s lucky that she doesn’t have to be in until 3:00pm because she has only one client in for a waxing. When Abbe wakes up the 1st thing she sees is her sketchbook which Trish likes to call her art portfolio. When Abbe gets out of bed she walks over to where her sketchbook is and picks it up. She doesn’t see the newspaper clipping until she walks on it. When she does step on it she bends down and picks it up. As soon as her eyes lay on it she automatically begins to cry. When she finally gathers herself up she crumbles the paper up and throws it in the bin in the kitchen. Only then does she realize that on one else is up apart from Trish who has already left for work. When Abbe finishes eating breakfast she sits in the lounge room only having to get up again when the doorbell rings. When Abbe opens the door she finds Saara’s boyfriends Jimmy who she met a few times in between her illness
“Hey Abbe, What’s up.” says Jimmy
“Nothing much. You? replies Abbe
“Yeah nothing much, is Saara up yet?” asks Jimmy
“No. Not yet.” says Abbe
“Ok can I wait for her in the lounge room then.” says Jimmy
“Yeah that’s fine. I’ll go get her now.” replies Abbe
When Abbe gets to Saara’s room she knocks on the door just in case
Saara is up and getting dressed. When she ears no replay she quietly opens the door and walk up to Saara’s bed.
“Saara…” calls Abbe softly
“Mmmm” mumbles Saara half asleep
“Jimmy is waiting for you in the lounge room.” says Abbe
“Whaaaaat.” says Saara slowly waking up
“Your boyfriend is here.” says Abbe
“Oh…. Crap. I forgot about that.” replies Saara suddenly awake.
“I can tell.” says Abbe with a smile
“Tell him I’ll be out in 20minutes.” says Saara as she starts to undress
“Ok. What do you want for breakfast?” asks Abbe
“I’ll just have fruit.” replies Saara
“Ok.” says Abbe as she shuts the door

With that Abbe walks out of the room closing the door behind her. When she arrives back in the lounge room Jimmy has made himself at home by turning on the TV and eating anything that he feels like.
“Hey Abbe how have you’ve been settling in around here.” asks Jimmy
“Yeah good. I’ve been going back to the other house every now and then but that’s about It.” replies Abbe
“That’s good; I think you should get out a bit more though. Are you going to Macleod Salvo’s tomorrow for the morning service.” asks Jimmy
“Yeah I think so. Isn’t there an evening service this week too?” asks Abbe
“Yeah I believe your right. I completely forgot about that. How long is Saara going to be?” says Jimmy
“She said about 20minutes.” says Abbe
“Figures she always takes that long.” says Jimmy with a wide smile
“She does? I never realized that.” says Abbe
“You’ll get use to it.” says Jimmy
“Yeah. Well I have to go and make Saara some breakfast do you want anything?” asks Abbe
“No I’m good.” says Jimmy
“Ok.” says Abbe

With that Abbe goes and begins to cook breakfast for herself and Saara. When Saara finally is ready she enters the kitchen only to find that there is some muesli bars on a plate waiting for her.
“Abbe?” calls Saara
“Yes?” answers Abbe
“Can you please come here for a minutes?” asks Saara
A few seconds later Abbe walks into the Kitchen with a plate in her hand.
“Abbe what are these?” asks Saara pointing to the muesli bars
“They are muesli bars, they have oats, sultanas, dried apricots, apple and honey.” replies Abbe
“Hmmm.” says Saara
“Have one Babe.” Calls Jimmy from the lounge room “they’re good.”
“Abbe did you bake them because I was going to just have fruit.” asks Saara
“No… not really…I got bored. You know how I am like when I’m bored.” says Abbe
“Yeah, ok fine.” says Saara

Saara takes one of the muesli bars and walks into the lounge room. While Abbe cleans her dishes and goes into her room and gets dressed. By the time Abbe finishes in her room and gets back out to the lounge room, Georgia is now up and sitting next to Saara and Jimmy.
“Abbe come join us.” says Georgia.
“Actually I have to talk to you first Abbe.” says Saara
“Ok.” says Abbe
When Saara gets up and knows Abbe is following her into the kitchen only then does she talk
“Abbe I want you to come with me to work today then we can go out and get you some clothes and things to decorate your room. How does that sound?” asks Abbe
“Would I be aloud at your work?” asks Abbe
“Yes I am only there for an hour so yeah that’s fine. Do you want to?” asks Saara
“Yeah Ok. What time do you have to be at work for?” says Abbe
“3:00 or we can go now or soon and then we can go to my work after. What ever you want I’m flexible.” says Saara
“What time does the mall close?” asks Abbe
“I believe at 9:30 because today is Thursday.” says Saara
“Ok well we can do it after work then we will have more time that is if you want to do it then.” says Abbe
“Yeah your right, we’ll do it after work.” says Saara
After that was settled they walk back into the living room where Jimmy is.
“Hey Hun, I thought we would go for a drive before you have to go to work.” says Jimmy
“Really yeah only Abbe would have to come.” replies Saara
“No its ok you can always come back and pick me up before you go to work or after. I don’t want to intrude on yours and Jimmy’s drive.” says Abbe
“Abbe can Jimmy and I have a quick talk alone?” asks Abbe
“Yeah I’ve got to clean up my room anyhow.” replies Abbe
Abbe leaves Jimmy and Saara talking in the lounge room and head back to her room humming a song by Planetshakers.
“Abbe would make a wonderful singer don’t you think?” says Saara
“Yeah, does she know that you want her to sing in the Macleod youth band on Sundays.” says Jimmy
“Yeah but she wont make a decision until Sunday which is understandable.” says Saara
“Yeah, anyways what did you want to talk to me about?” asks Jimmy
“We are having a family day out on Sunday after church so Abbe can feel more part of the family. Do you want to come, oh and Abbe doesn’t know about this.” says Saara
“What are you going to do? Through her a family party or something?” asks Jimmy
“We are going bowling. Do you want to come?” asks Saara
“Yeah, now about that drive is Abbe going to come or is it going to be just us?” asks Jimmy
“We should really ask Abbe.” says Saara
“Ok, lead the way!” says Jimmy
With that Saara leads Jimmy down to Abbe’s room. When they arrive they don’t knock on the door they just listen, because Abbe is singing ‘How Great Is Our God’ by Chris Tomlin, which Abbe is borrowing from Trish.
“She’s a great singer.” whispers Saara to Jimmy but he doesn’t hear because he is so moved by Abbe’s singing. At this time Nathan walks out of his room and listens to Abbe as well. When he realizes that she can sing he gets out his phone and begins to record her.
“What are you doing?” asks Saara
“Recording her voice, so I can show the other people in the band so we can possibly get Abbe to join.”
“That’s a good idea but we have to stay quiet so Abbe doesn’t hear us.” says Saara
“Good point.” says Jimmy
When the song ends Abbe stops singing and makes her way to the door. By the time Saara, Nathan and Jimmy realize that she’s about to open that door it’s too late.
“What are you all doing outside me room?” asks Abbe when she opens the door and sees everyone there.
“Ummm, we were just walking past when we herd you singing and we couldn’t resist listening.” says Jimmy
“Was I that loud? I thought the music would drown me out.” says Abbe
“Abbe, can you please join our worship band? You are a fantastic singer and we need someone like you to sing…please will you join us?” asks Nathan
“I…I don’t know, I don’t even know what songs you do or even if I can sing them or even if I can sing in a band because I have never done that before.” says Abbe
“It usually takes practice and we can teach you…Nathan plays guitar and can teach you how to sing along with him, and we have practices so people can learn the songs. Please can you sing with us?” says Saara
“I’ll think about it…I just want to settle in first and get use to going to church every Sunday.” answers Abbe
“Fair enough, if you want you can only practice with us until your ready to sing during the youth meetings. If you’re more comfortable with that, but think about it won’t you?” asks Nathan
“Yeah I will.” replies Abbe
“Ok now that we have settled that… Abbe can Jimmy and I talk to you for a minute?” asks Saara
“Yeah sure what’s up?” asks Abbe as she lets them both into her room and closes the door behind them
“You know how Jimmy and I are going for a drive before I go to work?” asks Saara
“Yeah.” says Abbe
“We were wondering if you would like to some with us instead of waiting until I get back before I go to work since you are coming with me to work. It’ll make it a lot easier if you can with us besides we want you to come so don’t feel like you’ll be a burden because you won’t. So what do you say will you join us?” asks Saara
“Ummm, I guess if you really want me to.” says Abbe
“Yes we do Abbe didn’t I just said that.” says Saara
“Yeah. Ok I’ll come with you. When and were are we going?” asks Abbe
“Well we would have to leave shortly and I think Jimmy was planning on taking us to Healesville, is that right?” asks Saara turning to Jimmy
“Yes, and we will have to leave in about 5 minutes because I have reservations at a restaurant for lunch.” says Jimmy
“Ok, I will be ready for then I just have to finish cleaning up my room. Do I need to bring anything with me to your work Saara?” asks Abbe
“No…oh, a book to read while you wait if you want but you don’t but you don’t have to, I will only be about 20 minutes.” says Saara
“Ok, I’ll bring one then. See you in 5 minutes.” says Abbe

For the next 5 minutes Abbe cleans her room in 4 minutes then finds a book to read while she is waiting for Saara, she also brings her hand bag and twenty dollars just in case. When 5 minutes is up she walks out to the living room were Jimmy is waiting.
“Wow Abbe that’s exactly 5 minutes but I am afraid we most likely will have to wait for Saara for at least another 5 minutes.” says Jimmy
So Abbe sits down next to Jimmy and reads for exactly 4.5 minutes for Saara.
“Sorry guys.” says Saara as she comes into the room
“It’s ok it’s a good thing I said we had to leave in 5 minutes instead of 10 because then we wouldn’t be leaving for another 5 minutes.” says Jimmy
“You know me too well.” says Saara
“I know, lets go or else we will be late.” says Jimmy

So they all pile into Jimmy’s car with Saara in the front with Jimmy driving and Abbe in the back, staring out the window. After about an hour Abbe dozes off to sleep, when Saara checks on her because she isn’t answering any of the questions Saara nor Jimmy is asking.
“Abbe’s asleep; she must have been up early again this morning. If this happens again then I will take away Abbe’s alarm clock and make her sleep in.” swears Saara
“What time does she get up?” asks Jimmy
“At about 5-6 o’clock” replies Saara
“Everyday?” asks Jimmy
“Everyday.” replies Saara
“How does she do that?” asks Jimmy
“I don’t know but it can’t be good for her.” says Saara
“Yeah. With school starting next week what’s happening with her?” asks Jimmy
“I don’t know I think she will be going with Nathan.” replies Saara
“What? Go Plenty Valley Christian College?” asks Jimmy
“No, he goes to the same school as Abbe now.” says Saara
“Oh ok that’s not too bad then. Do you think Abbe will go to school the first day back?” asks Jimmy
“I really don’t know. But let’s not worry about that now.” says Saara
“Yes your right. Can you wake Abbe up now because we are about 5 minutes away?” says Jimmy
“Ok, Abbe…Abbe.” calls Saara
“Mmmm…what.” mumbles Abbe
“Wake up sleepy head we are almost there.” says Saara
“Almost were?” asks Abbe
“At the restaurant in Healesville. Were Jimmy is taking us” says Saara
“Oh…did I fall asleep?” asks Abbe
“Yes you did. You’ve got to stop getting up so early and wearing yourself down like this. It’s not good for your body.” says Sara
“We are here.” says Jimmy
Once everyone is out of the car they walk with Saara in the middle with Jimmy on her right and Abbe on her left, but eventually Abbe starts to fall behind a bit to give Jimmy and Saara some space, but Saara realizes what Abbe is doing.
“Come on Abbe, hurry up.” calls Saara
With that Abbe quickens her pace to catch up to them. When they arrive at the restaurant, they get shown to there seat by the window. Saara and Jimmy sitting opposite to each other and Abbe sitting facing the window with her back to the other people in the restaurant.
“What are you going to have Abbe?” asks Jimmy
“I don’t know. I was thinking about one of the Lasagne, what about you.” asks Abbe
“I was looking at the stake and chips. What about you Hun?” asks Jimmy
“The prawn skewers on rice looks appealing.” says Saara
“May I take you order?” says the waitress
“Yes can I please get the Stake and chips?” answers Jimmy
“Yep, and you ladies?” asks the waitress
“I’ll have a serving of the prawn skewers on rice, if I may?” replies Saara
“Ok, and you young lady?” asks the waitress
“I’ll have a small helping of the lasagne please.” says Abbe
“Ok. Would you like anything to drink?” asks the waitress
“I’ll just have water please.” answers Abbe
“I’ll have a small glass of Coke.” says Jimmy
“And I’ll have a strawberry milkshake with extra flavouring and 3 straws please.” says Saara
“Ok…coming right up.” says the waitress
When the waiter walks away Saara turns to Abbe and says.
“Why did you have to choose the cheapest meal on the menu?” asks Saara
“I didn’t mean to…it’s just I haven’t had lasagne in a long time. I use to make it every week when my parents were still alive.” says Abbe
“Oh and why did you just get water?” asks Jimmy
“Because I felt like water.” says Abbe
“Fair enough. Well here’s our drink.” says Saara

Ten minutes later our food arrives and we all dig in and eat. After a few minutes Abbe asks to be allowed to leave the table to go to the loo.
“Yeah sure.” says Jimmy, “hurry back quick or I might finish you lunch for you.”
When Abbe finds the bathroom, she walks up the sink and washes her face with cold water to wake her up a bit. Then she looks in her handbag for some pain killers for she is developing a massive headache.
Which she has been getting a lot lately since she came home from the hospital, the doctor said that it’ll subside within a couple of days and if it doesn’t the she’ll have to go back in and have another operation. At about that time Saara comes in to see what I am doing.
“Abbe what’s that tablet you just took?” asks Saara
“Umm what tablet?” asks Abbe
“Abbe…was it a pain killer?” asks Saara
“…Yeah.” says Abbe
“You’re getting headaches again?” asks Saara
“Mmmm.” replies Abbe
“How long has this been going on for?” asks Saara
“Saara I’m fine you don’t have to worry.” assures Abbe
“But I do worry we’re family.” says Saara
“I know but you don’t need to. I’m fine. Did you leave Jimmy all by himself?” asks Abbe
“Yeah.” says Saara
“Then we should get back to him then.” says Abbe

Saara fallows Abbe out of the bathroom and back to the table and they finish eating in silence until the dessert menu comes and they all order a sundae. Abbe and Saara get Strawberry and Jimmy gets Caramel…but they all get a flake put on top. When the their desserts come they all dig in…after a couple of minutes both Saara and Abbe reaches over at the same time and steals some of Jimmy’s ice cream.
“Hey!” exclaims Jimmy, “You got your own get lost!”
“Come on Jimmy its called sharing!” says Saara
“No that’s called stealing and you know It.” says Jimmy
By then their sundaes we finished and Jimmy went up to pay while Saara and Abbe headed back to the car to wait for him. When Jimmy arrives at the car they all hop in and start the long drive to Saara’s work.
“Are we going to Saara’s work now?” asks Abbe
“Yes.” replies Jimmy
“Umm just our of curiosity…how are we getting home from there?” asks Abbe
“Umm, good point… Jimmy it looks like you are going to have to stop at home then because we need my car.” says Saara
“Ok. Yeah your right.” says Jimmy

By the time they arrived back at the house Abbe is almost asleep yet again but jolts awake as soon as the car stops. Realizing that they are back home Abbe gets out of the car and waits to see what’s going to happen. Seeing that Saara isn’t leaving anytime soon Abbe walks up to the house and produce a key to open the front door and walks in and down the hallway to her room. Keeping in mind that Saara is outside with Jimmy and the front door is slightly open.
When entering her room she quickly scans the area to make sure there hasn’t been anything moved or missing. When curtain that nothing has changed the advances within the room and plonks herself on her bed and stares at a picture that has been stuck to the ceiling when she first moved in, it’s a picture of her whole family a year before her sister killed herself. Abbe was only 5 years old, her younger brother Michael was 1 and her older sister Louisa was 12.
“I wish you were her Louisa…you’d know what to do? How to cope with all this.” mumbles Abbe under her breath
“What was that Abbe? Who’s Louisa?” asks Saara
“Umm she was my eldest sister.” says Abbe
“What happened to her?” asks Saara
“I don’t really want to talk about that right now. Besides aren’t we going to be late for work if we don’t leave now?” asks Abbe
“Yeah you’re right that’s why I came to get you.” says Saara
“Ok then lets go then.” says Abbe
It takes them 15 minutes to get to Saara’s work but they weren’t late, in fact they were right on time. Prier to arriving at Saara’s work, Saara tried to find out a bit more about Abbe’s family.
“So Abbe you had a younger brother and an older sister whom you never mentioned before…why is that?” asks Saara
“Because she died a horribly death when I was 6; she was 13.” says Abbe bluntly
“How did she die?” asks Saara
After a long silence she said
“…She killed herself at my old house out back in amongst the orchard before dinner.” says Abbe quietly
“Were you the one to find her?” asks Saara
“In a way yes.” replies Abbe
“What does that mean?” asks Saara
“I was there when she killed herself. She told me it was for the best. She told me that one day we will be united again later on in life. She also told me to look after Michael, which I failed at doing because he is dead but of coarse you know that.” says Abbe
“Ab how did he die?” asks Saara
“He was hit by a car when he was 6. My parents like Louisa’s death; they blamed it on me because when Louisa died Michael became the favoured child. You would think when he died I became the favoured child but no I wasn’t good enough.” says Abbe
“Abbe its ok.” says Saara
“Did you know that Tom Blackburn isn’t my real father? Tom was Louisa and Michael’s dad but not mine. I never knew my dad. All I know is that my dad’s name is Richard and he died 2 weeks after I was born.” says Abbe
“Oh, man I always find out new things about you…I will probably never find out about your whole life as far as I know.” says Saara
“I know I am full of surprise.” replies Abbe
“Yes. Here we are.” agrees Saara
“Where?” asks Abbe
“My work. It’s across the street.” replies Saara
“Oh, the one with the pink banner?” asks Abbe
“Yep, come on lets go.” says Saara

When the car is parked and secured Abbe and Saara walk into the beauty salon.
“Who’s this Saara?” asks the lady at the front desk
“Hi Natalie, this is my sister Abbe.” says Saara
“I thought Georgia was your only sister and Nathan your brother?” asks Natalie
“Not anymore we have a new addition to the family.” says Saara happily
“Ok well your only client for the day will be in shortly so you better get set up. Abbe can sit in the back room until you’re done, if you show her the way.” says Natalie
“Ok thanks Nat. This was Abbe.”
Saara guides Abbe to the back of the salon were a small kitchen and lounge room is for all the staff.

“You can stay in here. You brought your novel right?” asks Saara
“Yeah.” replies Abbe
“Did you bring anything to listen to?” asks Saara
“I don’t have an IPod or anything like that remember.” says Abbe
“Oh well you can use mine then. I have some Christian songs on there that you are learning, but I also have other songs on there too. You can flick through them. I’ve got to get going and set up before my client comes.” says Saara
“Ok.” says Abbe
When Saara leaves Abbe turns on the IPod and begins looking through the music and settles with a Planetshakers album called ‘Free’ and opens her book and begins to read.

Before she knows it Saara finishes and returns to get Abbe so they can go and get some supplies so they can decorate Abbe’s room.
“Come on Abbe its time to go.” says Saara
“What already?” asks Abbe
“Yep. I want to stop at JB Hi-Fi before we hit other shops.” says Saara
“Ok.” says Abbe

When they arrive at JB Hi-Fi, Saara gets out of the car but gets Abbe to stay. After about 10 minutes Saara returns with a bag, but doesn’t tell Abbe what she got because it’s a present. Just before they start driving again Saara reaches into the bag and produces a CD by Snow Patrol. They didn’t get very far in the CD before they arrived at a home decorator mall. When the car is parked and Saara leading the way they walk into the mall and go into a picture place.
“Now Abbe I was thinking in getting you come pictures for you to hang up in your room. What do you think about that?” asks Saara
“I don’t know, which wall would I put them on?” says Abbe
“How about the wall by the mirror. We could have one on either side depending on size.” says Saara
“Maybe, but what type of pictures though.” asks Abbe
“What type do you like?” asks Saara
“I don’t know. I have never done anything like this before.” says Abbe
“Well have a look around, and let me know.” says Saara
“Ok.” replies Abbe
After twenty minutes in the shop Saara comes up to Abbe.
“Did you find anything?” asks Saara
“Not really only this one picture of a baby angel being hugged by a mother angel.” says Abbe
“Lets see it…it’s beautiful…it’ll look good on the back of the door in your room, if you want we can get It.” says Saara
“I don’t mind. I am already grateful for what you have done already for Me.” says Abbe
“Nonsense you deserve to have a place that you can call your own. Now what colour do you want your room to be based on?” asks Saara
“I don’t know. What colours are there?” asks Abbe
“Well you can have any colour except, pink, purple, green and orange.” says Saara
“Ok then I will have light blue, if that’s alright.” asks Abbe
“Yeah that’s fine. What shade of light blue would you like?” asks Saara
“How about a blue close to white…baby blue?” asks Abbe
“Yeah that’s a nice shade. Do you want to paint the room in that colour?” asks Saara
“No that’ll cost too much we can just get things with that colour theme.” says Abbe
“Ok. Let’s get shopping. What do you want in your room?” asks Saara
“Ummm… how about a couple of shelves and a little bit of paint to paint them or see if we can get them already in the right colour.” says Abbe
“That’s a good idea. Lets go.” says Saara

After almost two and a half hours the pair of them walk out of the shopping centre two loaded trolleys. One trolley full of pictures and bedding and all things to so with that, and the other trolley is full of shelves posters to put up on the ceiling that have bible messages on them so Abbe can learn verses by heart just by looking at them everyday. When the get to the car Saara and Abbe spend ten minutes just trying to put everything into the boot of the car. When everything is in the car they begin the twenty-minute drive home listening to snow patrol. When they get home Georgia comes out to give them a hand in bringing all the stuff in and put them carefully onto Abbes bed. After a ten minute break they begin to decorate Abbes room. It took the whole afternoon to finish the room. By the time they finished it was five o’clock and Abbe went to start cooking something quick and simple while the others start watching a movie. It takes Abbe half an hour to cook dinner. By five thirty they all were sitting in front of the TV watching ‘Mr Deeds’ as soon as Abbe finishes and everyone else is done too. She collects all the dishes and goes into the kitchen to clean up when Georgia fallows her in and pushes Abbe back into the lounge room in front of the TV
“Stay here I’m doing the dishes tonight, relax Abbe, your not doing anything tonight, but watch TV.” says Georgia
With that Georgia leaves the room and to start the dishes, a short time later Abbe gets up and leaves too
“I’m going to my room to draw.” says Abbe
With that Abbe leaves the room and goes to her room and begins to draw her newly decorated room. It takes her a total four hours by then it’s late at night and she goes straight to bed. In the morning she wakes at three o’clock in the morning from a nightmare screaming.

Since she was screaming so loudly Saara comes running into the room and immediately comforts Abbe
“Shhh, its ok no one is going to hurt you. Shhh.” says Saara calmly while holding Abbe close to her
After a good five minutes Abbe finally calms down and gently goes back to sleep. When Saara is sure that Abbe is asleep, she too goes back to bed

The next morning after Abbe wakes from a dreamless sleep she decides to go for a jog. What she doesn’t realise is that Saara is up waiting for her to awake. When Abbe is dressed for her jog, she walks out of the room and heads towards the front door only to be stopped by Saara as soon as she puts her hand on the door knob.
“Abbe where are you going?” questions Saara
“For a job to clear my mind.” replies Abbe
“Abbe I think we should talk about your dream. This is the fourth time in a row that you have waking up screaming in the middle of the night.” persists Saara
“Saara, I don’t really want to talk about it. I’m not ready yet.” said Abbe
“How long are you planning to go for a jog?” inquires Saara
“I don’t know just around a block a couple of times.” replies Abbe
“Okay, but don’t be too long. I’m making breakfast today whether you like it or not. It’s time for you to have a break. Off you go now.” encourages Saara

With that Abbe leaves the house and begins to jog in the early morning light. What Abbe doesn’t realize is that the man who sent assassins to kill her parents was also jogging around the same area. In fact he is just around the corner pretty much waiting for Abbe to come around the corner.

When Abbe does turn the corner she immediately sees the man she knows as Nathanial Jones. Before Nathanial can grab a hold of her, she kicks him in the ‘nuts’ so that he falls to the ground then she runs off past him and away from her new home, keeping Saara and her family out of danger but putting herself into more danger that she can possibly imagine. For she is running straight into a trap , some of Nathanial’s men are waiting for her so they can finish the job…to blow out her candle…to give her, her last breathe…to end her life…to kill her. When Abbe realizes what she has done its too late. Nathanial’s men seizes Abbe and begins to stab her while muffling her screams and practically suffocating her. Eventually when Abbe grows unconscious they lay her down on the sidewalk for the dead.

Nathanial who has been watching within the shadows of a nearby tree comes over just as Abbe is about to go unconscious. He cups Abbe’s chin in the palm of his hand and says
“You should have been died a long time ago. You have over stayed your welcome on this planet. Its time for you to leave.” He then turns to his men and says with a nod “finish her off. Make it painful.”
The he walks of whistling like nothing has gone amiss, while Abbe blacks-out and is left for the dead.

The whole time Abbe has been with her new family the police have been watching and waiting for Nathanial to make his move. So while Abbe was getting beaten up, they were just watching, for the more Abbe gets hurt the more charges against her attackers, the longer they are in jail, the safer Abbe will be.

When Nathanial walks off one of the officers follow him back to his hideout. The when Nathanial’s men leave walks off shortly after Abbe’s blackout a team of officers follow them, leaving four officers two men and two women to attend to Abbe’s wounds and to call an ambulance. All the officers could do to assist Abbe is to try and stop her bleed and hopefully save Abbe’s live for she has lost a lot of blood already.

By the time the ambulance came, it was very unlikely that Abbe would survive this ordeal, for she has lost too much blood and is likely to have either a punctured organ or internal bleeding.

Abbe spends a total twelve hours on the operating table. While the doctors try and repair Abbe’s kidney and liver, while trying to give Abbe some blood. Once the operation is finished they move Abbe into the intensive care unit so they can monitor Abbe’s progress.

Three hours later, Abbe still hasn’t woken up and the doctors start to worry, by then Saara, Georgia, Nathan and Trish are all waiting at the hospital for news on Abbe. The doctors fear that Abbe has entered a deep coma, one that hardly anyone else ever comes out of, and because of that they run a brain scan only to have their worst fear come true. Abbe has entered another coma but a very deep one this time.

While Abbe was in the operating room, Nathanial manages to sneak out of the police’s grip again, but his men weren’t so lucky. They have been arrested for attempted murder. After Abbe was admitted to the hospital the police head over to the Hawthorn’s house to break the terribly news to them.

“Abbe you know you don’t have to knock…oh hi if you’re looking for Abbe she isn’t home at the moment but she shouldn’t be too much longer.” says Saara
“Actually we wanted to talk to you…May we come in?” enquired the female officer June
“Yes of course, has something happened to Abbe?” asks Saara while sitting down in front of the officers
“I’m afraid so…” begins the other officer Tim

As Tim and June take it in turns explaining what’s happened, Saara becomes more and more paled. By the end Saara is in near tears with Georgia and Nathanial at her side and Rosie on Saara’s shoulder
“Can we go and see her?” questions Nathanial
“I don’t see why not. Go and get dressed and meet me back here in ten minutes.” replies Saara “thanks for telling us what’s happened. If you find out anything else you’ll be sure to tell us right?”
“Yes of course. We best be off.” says June

Ten minutes later Georgia, Nathanial, Saara and Rosie all pile into Saara’s car and drive to the hospital where Abbe is still being operated on. From there Georgia calls Trish who arrived ten minutes after that.

When Abbe is first brought out of the theatre Saara is the last person to go in to see Abbe, for she begins to talk to the doctor who operated on Abbe.
“She has lost a lot of blood and had two punctured organs, which I manage to fix, but she may have complications later on, but we won't know for sure until she wakes up and her organs begin to heal.” says the doctor
“Do you know when she will wake up?” asks Saara
“No, she’s’ gone into a coma unfortunately, it will take time.” says the doctor
“Do you think she will wake up from this coma, for she has been in one just recently?” asks Saara
“We don’t know, it depends entirely on her I'm afraid, but I believe she will recover. Do you know how we can contact her parents?” asks the doctor
“She’s an orphan, I am her adoptive sister. Everyone else is in with Abbe; mum had to go back to work so she left me in charge. So if you need to know about anything you ask me alright.” says Saara
“Yes ok, I have to go but I’ll be back in later to check on Abbe.” says the doctor
“Thank you doctor.” says Saara

As the doctor walks off, Saara turns and looks through the viewing window into Abbe’s room and watches. After a while Georgia comes out to keep Saara company and let Nathan and Rosie have some time together with Abbe. After another ten minutes Nathan comes out but Rosie refuses to leave Abbe’s shoulder, but that doesn’t bother Saara, as she walks in and takes her place at Abbe’s bedside.
“Why do you keep doing this to yourself Abbe, one of theses days you might not even wake up, but please don’t let this be the end. You have your whole life ahead of you, you’re a great singer, and you were planning on singing at church. We had planned a family outing to show that your part of our family. says Saara
“Do you really mean that?” croaks Abbe
“Yes Abbe, I really do. You are part of our family and we love you. We always will, from the bottom of our hearts.” Says Saara with tears in her eyes

Three Years Later

“Abbe, your up next, knock them dead.” encourages Saara.
“Saara, I’m really nervous. What if they all hate me?”
“They won't hate you. You have a wonderful voice, so full of meaning. They will love you. Now you better get on up there so you can start as soon as mum’s finished done talking.”
As Abbe goes up, she looks behind her and sees the spirits of her family drifting at the back of the congregation. As Abbe takes the cordless microphone the band begins to play Abbe’s solo song’ Amazing Grace’.

As Abbe sings her song her mind drifts from memory to memory as she remembers her siblings and parents, as her true family listen to her for the first and last time knowing that Abbe is in the right place and that for once in her life she is happy. Abbe knowing that she too knows that she is in the right place and in the right family she puts all the past horrors behind her for good and only remembers the good times she has had with her family while they are all still alive.

THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Aug. 24 2011 at 2:35 pm
Willflower.-.-. BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is us. This is who we are. We demand attention.

I love this!!!!