I Do | Teen Ink

I Do

By strow776, Janeson, Florida
strow776, Janeson, Florida

I looked at my watch for the twelth time in the last hour. The diamond plated watch that my dad gave me right before he died read nine forty-eight. Which means two hours and twelve minutes before I can say, “ I do.” One hundred and thirty-two minutes. I look over to where my phone is flashing and see that my maid of honor is calling. Looking down at my uneaten toast I sigh and answer the phone. 

“Hello,” chirps Kylie- bridesmaid number 1- “Happy wedding day. So I’m  coming over in an hour to get ready and…” she chatters on and on but I daze off. This happens all the time. Kylie talks a lot but that's okay because she makes up for it when she brings over her famous snickerdoodle cookies. Besides she is my best friend in the entire world. And no offense to her but I cannot wait to get this wedding over with, because everything is so stressful. I mean like the perfect dress, choosing the perfect cake, getting the right decorations. It’s just all so stressful. But I mean she does have a point because it will all be worth it in the end when I marry Jason. 

“Layla. Layla. Layla, are you in there I asked you a question.” I then realize Kylie is trying to get my attention.

“Sorry, yea I’m here. I just dazed off for a second. What did you say?”

“I asked you if you’re ready for today. Because you are getting married today, that doesn’t happen everyday. I just want you to be ready.” 

“You know, I have been waiting for this day my entire life and it’s finally here. Honestly I’m a little nervous, but that is to be expected. I think I am ready.”

“Okay that is good. I gotta go.I’ll be there soon, bye.” Kylie said.

“Bye!”

Waking up this morning I realized something. I am never going to be single again. I’m never going to get the adventure of going on first dates or the thrill of a first kiss but that’s okay because I’ve met the girl of my dreams. The girl that makes you laugh when you need it the most and the girl that laughs at your jokes even though they aren’t even remotely funny. I love the girl that cries when she finds a dead bird on the road. I even like the girl that sings terribly on Saturday karaoke night. I love that girl and she loves me too.

As I sat in my kitchen that morning drinking my coffee and reading the morning newspaper my phone rang. It was Landon, my best man. 

“Hello, Landon.” I said 

“Hey man, I’m at your front door. Will you let me in?” 

I walked over to the door, opened it, and saw him punching the doorbell with his thumb.

“It doesn’t work.” I said plainly.

“I can see that. Why don’t you just get it fixed?” 

“Well my landlord doesn’t feel like doing it so…”

“Huh. You know I realized something this morning,” Landon said

“Yea what was that?”

“Well, I am older than you, yet you are still getting married before me.”

“Well there is still someone out there for you. Why don’t you ask Layla’s friend Kylie on a date.” I told him

“I don’t know man she is too far out of my league. She is way too good for me.”

“Landon you don’t give yourself enough credit. Just ask her out. If she says no then it's no but just try it.”

“It’s not that easy, big shot. You’re getting married. You don’t have to be shot down any more.”

“Just ask her.”

“Fine.”

“Thank You.”

An hour and a half later

It’s eleven-thirty and I have to walk down the aisle in half an hour and I am starting to get really nervous. It’s not commitment issues, it’s more like hoping I don’t mess up my vows or trip and fall in front of everyone which- knowing me- is bound to happen. My dad’s best friend- Charlie- comes up and tells me to take deep breaths and everything is going to be alright. He suddenly gets serious. He whispers, “Your mom and dad would be so proud of you.”

“Are you trying to make me cry so I mess up my makeup?” I joke. I try not to cry because I do wish they would be here to see me grow up and get married. Charlie squeezes my arm gently and says, “They are with you in your heart. Don’t forget that.” The music starts and I know it is time for me to walk down the aisle. Charlie links his arm in mine and we start walking.

I look around and it seems as if everyone I have ever known came. Friends, family, relatives that I never knew existed. Everyone was here. But before I could look too much the music started which was Layla’s que. One by one the bridesmaids and there partner came down the aisle until finally it was Layla’s turn. Everyone stood and faced her. I feel bad because I know how much she hates it when everyone is focused on her.

One foot in front of the other, one foot in front of the other, I thought to myself. I wanted to sprint out of there so bad. Just get out of all the watching eyes. Charlie must have figured that out because he tightened the grip on my arm and gave me an encouraging smile. I looked up and saw Jason’s face and focused on him. Once we were there Charlie kissed me on the cheek and whispered, “Go get him. Your mom and dad would approve.”

“Thank You Charlie.” I whispered with light tears rolling down my face. He brushed them off with his thumb carefully in order to not smudge my makeup.

I don’t even have the words to describe how beautiful she looks.  Her copper hair is up in a crown around her head. Her lips are painted a light red and her high cheekbones are powdered just enough so they pop out. Her dress is a creamy white and it fits around her curves in all the right places and it is sleeveless. And she smells like flowers. 

Okay, it is time for the vows. I get to go first. Deep breaths. 

“Layla, from the time I met you I knew that I wouldn’t meet anyone the same. Your laugh is filled with charm, and your smile lights up the room, and most importantly you care about others in a way that I have never seen in anyone else. Layla, I promise to always love, cherish, and respect you through the good times and the bad.” And with that, I slid her ring on.

That was so sweet I am going to cry. Honestly I don’t know how I am going to compete with that. But I’ve got this. My turn.

“Jason from the moment we met I knew we were destined to be together. You showed me and will continue to show how to be a better person. You taught me to live up to my fears and to never give up. Jason I promise to always care, forgive, love , and put my all in for you through the good times and the bad.” And with that I slid his ring on

The minister then said,  “Jason, do you take Layla to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

“I do!”

He said it! He said I do! Well now it is my turn. 

“Layla do you take Jason to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

As she opened her mouth to say I did a huge explosion went off in the kitchen which was next door to where they were. Everyone was just frozen in shock for not even a minute when the fire came bursting onto the stage which blinded everyone. Everyone started screaming and that's when I started feeling lightheaded and then everything turned black and I passed out.

It was out of nowhere just a big explosion and then everyone started screaming because everything caught on fire. 

“Layla! Layla! Tell me where you are!” I started screaming frantically trying to find her but no such luck.

After what felt like an hour I heard sirens and the fire was blown out but it was too late because I saw a paramedic running an unconscious Layla to the ambulance and they sped away sirens and all. I asked the closest paramedic where they were taking her and they told me.

Once I got to the hospital I grabbed the doctor and asked her where she was and he told me where to go and once I got there she looked so beat up I started crying and prayed she would be okay. 

After an hour of sitting there with her she slowly turned her head toward me and said, “I do.” and with that the machines started beeping and she was gone. All the doctors came in and started yelling orders but I barely even looked at them because I knew she was gone. My heart was broken. My girl is gone.