Girl in the Cuckoo Clock | Teen Ink

Girl in the Cuckoo Clock

By Katmcd25 BRONZE, Washington, Connecticut
Katmcd25 BRONZE, Washington, Connecticut

"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why." -Paloma Faith

I walked with my hands entangled in my knit shawl. It was quite chilly this time of year. Autumn was to fall into winter’s grasp any day now. I was on my way to retrieve the produce. I could see the small wooden stand from here. Fresh, plump fruits and vegetables stared at me, waiting to be plucked. I wouldn’t be purchasing those. We could only afford to buy the leftover produce that had begun to rot, but was still good. Mother cuts them up and roasts them. I walked past Giuseppe's Toys, but something in the glass window caught my eye. It was a cuckoo clock. I had only ever seen one before, and it was nothing like this. It was made from beautiful amber wood, and the roof was a rich blue. Golden dowels hung down, each one carrying a set of silver bells that rang with the rocking momentum of the clock. A small hole resided in the middle. The thin hands jerked slightly as they ticked. I looked back at the produce stand. They wouldn’t be closing for another half-hour. I could take a quick peek at the clock. I opened the door and an inviting bell rang. I was greeted by Mr. Cooper, who smiled. I didn’t mean to be rude, but I slightly ignored him as I picked up my skirts and ran to the ethereal clock. 

“You’re just in time. It’ll go off any minute now.” Mr. Cooper noticed my obsession with the toy. I cupped my chin in my hands, waiting for something to happen. Finally, the two hands collided and the small hole opened. A wooden plank shot out, holding not a wooden bird, but a small girl! I jumped back in alarm. Mr. Cooper raised an eyebrow. 

“Is everything okay, Miss Margie?” I nodded frantically. 

“Yes, thank you sir. I was just startled, that’s all.” I got closer to the girl. She was about two inches tall, and had frosty pale skin. Her hair was a rich brown, and it cascaded down her shoulders. She wore a simple pink dress, tied off with a satin green ribbon. She was beautiful. I bent down to whisper to her. 

“Hello.” She stepped back in alarm. 

“Oh, it’s alright! I don’t mean any harm.” She stepped closer to me and touched my finger. She waved and smiled. I hadn’t realized I was blushing until she touched her cheeks and pointed at mine. I chuckled and looked away. She did the same, imitating me. It was adorable. 

“Do you have a name? Mine is Margaret, but everyone calls me Margie.” She pondered on a thought for a bit, then shook her head. 

“That’s okay. Would it be alright if I gave you a name?” She nodded. “Okay. How about Beth?” She shook her head. “Felicity?” She didn’t like that name either. “Oh, I know! Nettie!” The small girl grinned, satisfied with her new name. The door opened again, a rush of cold air inside. Nettie shivered. I pulled off one of my gloves and wrapped it around her small body like a coat. She sat down and bundled herself in the fabric. We looked at each other for awhile. I admired her perfect face. Here eyes were large and frosty blue. Her nose was small and round, and her pink lips formed a perfect heart. She noticed I was staring and giggled. It was a silent laugh, but I could tell she was amused. I looked at the clock. In five seconds, the plank would retreat into the clock for another hour. 

“Can I take you with me?” I asked Nettie, but she shook her head and pointed to her feet. They were nailed to the plank. I looked in my pockets. I would have to buy the whole clock, which I could not afford. 

“I don’t have enough money.” Nettie frowned. 

“Don’t be sad! I’ll save up all of my coins and one day I’ll buy you.” Nettie smiled again, but it seemed pained. She didn’t want to wait. Neither did I, but I didn’t have a choice. I touched her face with my thumb, and left the store, the bell jangling behind me. As I walked to the produce stand, I saw the clock. The plank was gone, along with Nettie. My Nettie. My sweet, beautiful Nettie. I would buy her someday, I knew it. I bought the produce and went home. I worked for weeks after that, saving each penny for my Nettie. Finally, I had enough. I ran to Gieseppe’s and flung open the door. Mr. Cooper frowned. 

“Oh, Miss Margie, I’m afraid you’re too late. A man came last week to purchase the cuckoo clock. I’m sorry.” My shoulders dropped. My Nettie was gone forever. I would never see her again. 

“That’s alright, thank you anyway.” I walked ever so slowly back home, my vision blurry with tears. I wiped my eyes and opened the door. There was a girl inside. She was about 65 inches tall, and had frosty pale skin. Her hair was a rich brown, and it cascaded down her shoulders. She wore a simple pink dress, tied off with a satin green ribbon. She was beautiful.