Chocolate Covered Marshmallow | Teen Ink

Chocolate Covered Marshmallow

By Catch SILVER, Willow Springs, Missouri
Catch SILVER, Willow Springs, Missouri

Never ever give up! Don't listen to what people say they will just try to shove you in the dirt. Listen to your heart.

This lays out the background of the charasters and the story.

I was 14 and in Softball. He was 14 and in football and track. We sat next to each other in our Physics class. I always wondered how he never knew I liked him?!
The class is always energetic when I enter the physics room (somehow I am always the last one in the class room) When I walk in Dakota always looks up from what he Is doing and says, “Hi” to me. When I sit down in my chair he scoots over next to me (originally we sit a seat apart). Ever since last year in eighth grade I have got in a habit of drawing a cross on his arm, so when he scoots over I get out my pen and on his shoulder I outline a cross and color it in with a brown sharpie. Dakota is usually always tired, like me, because we practice our sport every day we don’t have a game. I have a game 3 times a week and he has 2 games a week. We never fall behind in school even though we don’t have much time to do it.

Today when I got to Physics the class was Quiet I look at Dakota and he doesn’t look at me.
Mr. Lumar reads us the daily schedule and then he starts teaching. I get out a sheet of paper and fold it till it fits in my hand. I open it then write, Dakota.
Hey what is wrong? M

Hey M. Nothing is wrong why? DG

Koda, something is wrong and you are going to tell me! M

My girlfriend (Katie) broke up with me last night and we lost our game to Thayer. DG

Koda don't get your head down Kate wasn't ment for you if she broke up with you. M

Thanks M. You turned my morning around!DG

Glad to help! M

Dakota looked happier after we passed notes. I have no clue what happened next but everyone was talking and smiling. The class was back to normal!

After school I got my stuff and walked to the students’ parking lot to wait for Jacob, my cousin, to take me to softball practice.
When Jacob got to his truck the parking lot was busting full of people and cars. We got in Jake’s truck and we start to head towards the exit. We got out of the parking lot and out of the congesting of cars and on Main Street. We get to the softball field and I unloaded my stuff from Jake’s truck. Jake helped me carry my equipment to the field (Jake is very gentlemen like, he will help a lady, even if he doesn’t know her). Jake left and Coach and all the Softball girls got to the field.
We all got ready for practice and Suzie, our Varsity shortstop and J.V. pitcher said, “Hey M I saw you and Dakota passing notes today and when you were done the class was back to normal. What was said?”
Suzie, I’m glad you nnoticed Dakota wasn’t acting himself today and I told him his ex-girlfriend, Katie, wasn’t meant for him because she broke up with him and that the football team shouldn’t hold their heads too high and he told me I turned his day around.”
“That’s good M but I think you like Dakota and you’re afraid to admit it.”
“I do not!”
“Whatever M.”
I was done talking to Suzie even if she wasn’t done talking to me.
I got my glove and headed out to the field Christian, the J.V. 2nd baseman, came up to me and asked me if I wanted to play catch with her. I said yes. We were the first ones on the field; so we were goofing off. When everyone got on the field we started our throwing exercises. After about 15 to 20 minutes of that we stretched. After we stretched we split up and the varsity stayed on the softball field and the J.V. went to the baseball field. I am on J.V. so I went to the baseball field.

We got done with separate practice and we joined together to run (we always run before practice is over to see who is the fastest). Yesterday’s top runners ran first; we kept going down by the fastest runners till there was no one left. Coach Smith, our head coach, started naming off names from the fastest to slowest and if we moved places any.
“The running spots you have now are not what I judge you by; it just tells you if you need to work harder to be first. Today’s fastest runner is Haven you moved up two places, Marissa you got second, Briana you were third, M.J. fourth, Savanna fifth, Hailey sixth, Suzie seventh, Theresa eighth, Lacy ninth and tenth is Katie. The rest of you need to work hard and not quit and make it in the top 10.
Our starting bench warmers for tomorrow’s game are Courtney, Sadie, Ashley, Machala and of course our manager Alexxis. The rest of will be starters. Practice is finally over!

I got home, took a shower and got dressed for Wednesday church, my brother and sister had already left when I was finished getting ready. I grabbed my bible and hopped in dads buzz bom (the green Chevy) and headed to church. Church is about 50 seconds to a minute away from the house so I get to drive a lot. I got to church and parked the car. I got out of the car and I recognized that all of the younger kids are playing outside. I walk in to the church and the church Grandma comes up to me and hugs me. She asks me how my day had gone and I told her about practice and that I will be playing in our next game. She let me go and I put my bible in our class room I walked back to the sanctuary and notice none of the teens were there. I asked Grandma, “Where are all of the teens at?” Grandma said, “Molly had to pick up Justin from football practice and then she will be here. She called me about 10 minutes ago and said she was just then picking Justin up. They should be her any minute.” About that time Molly and Justin and three other guys walked in. Justin introduced them as Phill, Adam, and Dakota (WAIT stop my life for a minute did he say Dakota? Dakota as in Dakota Grindstaff as in Dakota the guy I sit next to in Physics who I like, Dakota? Oh My Gosh!). I get calmed down and we start class. Justin pulls out the chairs and of course Molly sits next to Justin. The Only chairs left for Phill, Adam, and Dakota are in between Molly and Me. Phill sits next to Molly and Adam sits next to Phill. Dakota sighs and comes to sit in between Adam and Me. Why we are waiting for our teacher to get in class we start to talk. Molly, Justin, Phill, and Adam were talking about football. Dakota turned to me and said, “Hey pretty lady.”
“Hey Koda.”
“I didn’t know you went to church here.”
“Yea I do. I’ve been going here since I was four.” Dakota grabbed a piece of paper and wrote on it. He handed the paper to me and I read it.

93-Hey you seam nervous . What is wrong?

17-No you are not.

93-Hey homecomming if Friday. Are you going?

17-Yea why?

93-Hey, do you want to go with me?

17-Sure.

93-Thank you.

17-Your welcome Koda.

About that time I noticed everyone looking at me and Dakota. I am so glad Morgan walked in at that time. Too bad she asked what was wrong. Molly was the first one to say something, “Morgan, M and Dakota were passing note and blushing.”

“Oh I see do you want to talk about it?” I shook my head but Dakota started to talk, “Mrs. Teacher person I asked Marissa to the homecomming dance and she agreed to go with me.”

“Dakota, my name is Morgan and that is very nice of you.”

Thank you Morga.”

We went on with class and Dakota acted all tense after class we went to sit in my Dad’s car and talk. “Hey why were you all tense in class?” He chuckeled and said, “Morgan wants to know your life dosen’t she?”

“Yea, she is like my mother through the church.”

“I hope you don’t mind me telling her.”

“No I don’t mind.”

I went home that night thinking about what Dakota said.

I got up the next morning feeling all happy. I got ready and I reconised that I didn’t have physics oday so I don’t have Dakota sitting by me, but he is in most of my classes.

I got to school and got my equipment out of my mom’s car when Dakota came up behind me and grabbed my softball equipment and he shut the back door on my mom’s car. I just then recconised it was Friday, footballgame day. Dakota was wearing his blue and gold football jersey with gold and blue basketball shorts, he looked amazing. I felt so bad that I let him carry my stuff.

“Hey, you do know I can carry my own things, you don’t have to carry it.” He smiled and stoped at the school, pu my stuff down and looked at me. He walked to the door and tried to open the doors, they were still locked. He came back and said, “I guess we are the first ones here and I know I don’t have to carry your stuff, I just want to. If you don’t want me to carry your stuff I won’t.”

“No, I was just saying…”

“Just saying what?”

“Hey Jake it is none of your buisness. Koda this is my cousin Jacob, Jake this is my date to the homecomming dance.”

“Hello Dakota nice to see you again. Why don’t you make cubs out of those grizleys.”

“I hope we do, we haven’t won one game in ten years and the season is almost up.”

Hey don’t hang your head.” About that time someone opened the door, thank god I don’t have to listen to guy talk.

The bell rang and we all screambled to our seats, Madison, my bffl (best friends for life); passed me a note,

Hey chicka, I saw you and Dakota this morningwhat is going on? Maddy

Nuthing much why? M

You looked like you wanted to kiss him. Mady

I know sonething is up and if you don't tell me i will come over there and slapp you silly. Mady

Koda asked me to the HC dance. M

Aww that is cute. Mady

Mrs. Woodworth came by my desk and laid down a test and picked up the notes and walked to the front of the class and said, “If you don’t want me to read your notes I sugest you don’t write them.” She started walking to her desk and Koda through me his planner,

Hey what was that about? DG

Mady was passing notes about this morning when you took my stuff. M

Mrs Woodworth had your guy's notes? DG

Yea. M

K, don't get caught again she might read them. DG

K, I will txt you tonight after the game. M

K, will be waiting. DG

The first two blocks went by fast and before I knew it, it was lunch time. I went thriugh the lunch line and I didn’t see Koda so I sat down with the Softball team. Everyone was through the lunch line and I didn’t see Dakota so I sat down with the line and I never saw Dakota, then he came behind me and stole my milk and sat down. Suzie saw us talking and decided to but in. “Told you M, but no you don’t listen to Suzie, no one does.”

“What is she talking about, M?”

“The other day at practice I told her she liked you but she wouldn’t listen to me.”

“I knew she liked me but I had a girlfriend, so I didn’t ask her out.”

“Whatever. Hey you guys better watch out that Destiny Smith girl is looking over here.”

“She is just looking at Tylar Haviar, no worries.”

“Ok whatever.”

When we got released to go to third block Koda took my hand and kead me to class, (I have Russian class and Datota had spanish so we don’t have the same classes this block.) I am in Russian one so we are just learning Russian, each morning we have to tell Marc (our Russian teacher) Hello and Good afternoon. We also have to use as much Russsian as possible. When I got to class Marc was not there so everyone started talking. Marc hates it when we talk and “munch” (eat) in his class, but most of us do anyway.

Russian went by fast. I walked to my locker and got my backpack and gym bag ready to go to gym when Jacob came up behind me and took my backpack and gym bag ready and took my bag backpack from me and he said, “I’m in my dad’s truck today, K.” Dakota came down the hallway and got his gym bag and came and stood by Jacob and me. Dakota acted like he was about ready to leave so I asked him, “Hey are you ready to go to the gym?”

“Yea sure lets go.”

“Hey Jake can I have my bag back?”

“Sure.”

“I will see you later.”

Dakota walked with me down to the gym and he went to sit with his guy friends and I went to sit with my girl friends. Our coach came in and told us today was a free day. We got dressed and went to the floor. I was walking and talking to my friends Anna and Megan when someone through a basketball and it nearly hit Anna. Koda came over and asked me if I wanted to play one on one with him. I said, “Sure, only if I get ball first.”

“Ok.” We were playing hard the score was 2 to 4 (We base our poinst on how many backets we make), I had the ball and Koda fouled me so I got to shoot 2 freethroughs. I was lined up to make my last shot when Koda’s friends (George, Jason and Bill) came over and asked us if they could play. Of course we said yes, then Tylar and Deatiny came over so we had to pick teams. Dakota and Tylar were team captains. Tylar choose Destiny, George and my friend Megan. Dakota chose Jason, Bill and me. The game wemt by really quick but when Coach McEntire told us to get dressed the game was tied 6 to 6. I was in line to make a shot. I shot right as Destiny ran into me. The ball rolled arround the rim. Time seemed slow. Koda jumped up and tipped the ball in the hoop and we won. Destiny got up and stomped off. Koda came over to me and helped me up. I was so happy, “Hey nice tip.”

“No, You made an amazing shot eventhough Destiny fouled you.”

“Yea, Thanks.” Jacob came up behind me and said, “Nice game.”

“Thanks Jake. Let me get my stuff then we can go. See you Koda.”

“Bye Marissa. See you tomorrow morning.”

“No you will see me tonight at your game.”

“Ok.”

I was sitting in Jakes truck listining to his crappy radio when Jake parked the truck in the parking lot at the field. “I don’t like him.”

“What do you mean?”

“He is not for you, but this is not my life im dissussing so don’t listen to me.”

“Fine I wont.” Jake go tout of the truck and pulled my eguipment out of the back and set it by the gate then left.

I went on with practice thinking about what Jake had said to me. I realized, Jake could be right but he could be hating on Koda because of the fight they got into. I decided not to listen to Jake and still date Koda.

At the end of practice Briana came up to me and said, “You don’t seam your self today. What is wrong?”

“I’m just shocked about what my cousin said, but it is nothing.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yea.”

I left practice and went to Dakota’s game when I got to the football field the Saigeview Griselys were winning (The score was 7 to 0). I spotted Koda on the side line waiting to be played. The clock buzzed saying half of the game is over. The Titans went to their locker room and as Dakota walked by he said, “Thank you for coming.”
I went to sitdown on the first row behind the cheerleaders.
Half time went by fast and before I knew it the announcer was welcoming back the Grizleys and the Titans. Coach Martin (The football coach) put the starters in firse. The starters moved the ball five yards each down. We got four downs and the Grisleys got the ball. The Grisleys moved the football four yards.Coach Martin called time and he put Koda in along with Justin, Phill and Bill. The rest of the game went by really quick. The ending score was 14 to 7 in the Titans favor. I went out to the field to congradulate Koda on the victory when I reconised the team Dr. was out there looking at Dakotas arm the Dr. wraped Koda’s arm and told him to have someone drive him to the hospitol and have his arm x-rayed. I went to stand by Koda and coach Martin started talking. After the pep talk Koda went into the locker room got dressed and came out and said, “Hey do you have a car or one you can borrow?”
“I have my pickup.”
“Will you take me to the hospitol?”
“Yea, sure.”

We go to the hospitol and Koda and I walked into the emergency room. Koda asked me to call his dad when we got out of my truck. The Dr. came and took Koda to the back and I steped out to call his dad. When I got done talking to Koda’s dad I calle my dad. Dad was kinda mad but he understood. Dad told me, “Do what you have to do then get home.” ( my dad hates boys).

Koda came out of the emergency room in a weelchair (he looked very tired). The nurse who was pushing Koda told me, “He may feel sore and tired for a while but he should be okay. He needs to come back in three weaks, okay?”

“Yea.”

The nurse got Koda in my truck and then I got in my truck.

I was driving koda home when he woke up and acted like nuthing happened. “How are you felling?”

“I feel fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yea, you know I should be the one driving you.” I chuckeled and said, “Your hurt so don’t even think about it.”

“I know. Hey sorry I guess I just skrewed up the homecomming dance.”

“No, we can still go. It is only a black light dance so we don’t have to go.”

“No, if you want to go we will go.”

The next day at school Koda was allways surronded by kids asking him questions. I felt left out but I knew it was all for a good reasn. Jason came up to me and said, “You ok?”

“Yea why?” he turm=ned arround and leaned on the ledge. “

“You seam annoyed, like you don’t want to be here. Koda likes you all of these girls are nothing to him, don’t worry.”

“Okay I won’t and I wasn’t.”

The day wen’t by terribly slow for a Friday. After school Koda walked me to Jacob’s truck, then left to get dressed for the game tonight (Grovewood Giants Vs. the Titans. Eventhough he isn’t playing he still has to wear the jersey. Tonight is homecomming so there is a dance tonight). Jacob took me to the field and dropped me off just like yesterday.

Today was and easy day we just ran a mile and left for the football game.

When I got to the field people were still arriving. I went and sat down in my usual spot benind the cheerleaders. The announcer was welcoming us to the game then he ammounced our homecomming quart (we do our homecomming before the game so the girls and dresses won’t get sweaty). The homecomming nomines were beautiful somehow all of their dresses looked the same style but different colors. The announcer said, “Our new homecomming queen is…Destiny Smith.” Yay.(Destiny smith is a preppy…who gets everything she wants). Tylar Haviar (the masscot and Destiny’s boy friend) ran out and kissed Destiny after the crown was placed on her head. The croud cheered and clapped. The homecomming cermonie was over. The Queen and her “Princesses” (Kelly Carten, Sally Sampson, and Ronda Sikes) went to sit down on the chairs for them.

After that the announcer welcomed the Giants and the Titans to the field. After they announced the players they started the game.

By half time the Giants were up by 7 points. The Titans went to their locker room and Koda was the first one up the stairs. I pulled him aside and told him, “Hey, have you ever seen that movie, Remember The Titans? They never gave up and you guys shouldn’t either,”

“Thank you.”

The Titans made an amazing come back but got defeated by the Giants 21 to 14.

I was in the bathroom getting ready for the dance when Koda came to pick me up (Dakota agreed to take my truck instead of his mom’s car). I went down stairs and told mom ii was leaving and walked out the door.

Koda came up to me and walked me to the passenger side of the truck and helped me in before he went to get in. I could tell there was something wrong, but I never broke the sclience and neither did he. If felt kinda akward. I reached over and turned on the radio. The song was, My little girl by Tim MicGraw. The song ended as we pulled in the parking lot. Koda shut the truck off and got out. I have no idea where he got the rose but he had a rose in his hand it was beautiful. It was yellow with orange edges, he put he rose in my hair and we walked to the school. Koda paid admission for bouth of us and we went in. the gym was amazing it had blue and gold light everywhere. There was two disco balls and on the floor was some sort of blue and gold fiberoptic lights. On the stage there was tables with gold cloths on them. The chairs had blue cloths draped over them and tied dowm. The D.J. had the stero rocking to a song that
I didn’t know. Destiny Smith stole Koda from me whyl I was talking to Megan.

Megan noticed first and said, “Do you know Destiny Smith is taking Dakota somewhere?”

“No but he wont let any thing happen, I hope.” Jacob walks up behing me and said, “I told you so.”

“You told me what?”

“Overthere by the bathrooms.” Jake whispered. I looked and almost fell to the ground. Koda and Destiny were kissing.Megan walked arround Jake and stood by me. “What is wrong?”

“Koda is kissing Destiny Smith.”
“What!?” I started to cry so I ran to the bathroom. Megan walked in and sat on the floor beside me. “He is looking for you.”

“What does he want, to tell me sorry? Does he want to tell me we are through, how about she kissed me first, or I didn’t mean for it to happen?”

“He told me to tell you that he is sorry that your relationship with him ended this way.”

“I just wan’t to go home. Megan, find Jake please and tell him, if he is busy I will find another way home.”

“Okay.” She left and Hailey (the Varsity catcher and J.V.center fielder) walked in. “Are you okay M?”

“No my boy friend kissed Destiny Smith and broke up with me.”

“Ouch that must hurt. You know I hate sports guys they think they need the best of the best. How about…” Meagan walked in and yelled, “How about you leave!”

“Meagan don’t talk to Haliey that way.”

“You know Haliey?”

“Yea she plays Softball with me.”

“I see. Jacob is waiting out side the bathroom door.”

I got up to leave and Haliey stoped me and huged me and then she left.

I walked out of the bathroom door and found Jake. We walked to my truck in scilence. I got in the truck and he started the truck up. Jake turned the radio on and I recconised the song it was, Home by Blake Shelton and Maranda Lambert. I reached up and turned the radio off. The last thing I remember was Jake whispering, “Your strong you can pull out of this.” Then a truck swerved into our lane and hit hit us. When I woke up I was in an ambulance on my way to the hospitol. The EMT asked me all sorts of questions. We finnaly arrived at the hospitol. They took me out of the ambulance and rolled me into the hospitol.

I woke up in a strange room. I looked arround the room and saw roses everywhere. A nurse walks into the room and asks me how I was feeling. I told her I was fine. The nurse walked out of the room when I asked her, “Where is my cousin? Where is Jake?”

“Jake is in ICU he was hurt really bad.”

“Is my mom here?”

“No she left she said she would be back in a whyle, but there is a boy named Tylar Haviar in the waiting room.”

“Can you send him in?”

“Yes.” The nurse left and in about ten minutes Tylar came in.”

“Hey M. How are you?”

“I feel fine why?”

“Just wanting to know. Hey sorry about the dance. I’m afraid to tell you Destiny is hooked but Koda is starting to realise that she is a jerk to everyone.”

“Why did you date her Tylar?”

“I was the only person she was nice to because I treat her like a queen. I was in love with her and she knew that I would do anything to make her happy.”

“I see.”

Tylar left and I thought to my self, no wonder Tylar is masscot, he is cute and he knows what to say in any situation. Tylar could grow up to be a psychiatrist.

I got discharged from the hospitol the next morning and Jake got out of ICU. I relised I spent a whole week in the hospitol.

I went back to school that next Monday and everyone automaticaly pinned me as the new class laugh. There were pictures all over lockers of me crying at the dance someone down the halway started taking pictures off lockers but I didn’t wait to see who it was. I ran to the bathroom and saw Mafison she was just getting ready to walk out of the bathroom. I shoved her back in and asked her if she would wait till after the bell rang to go to history. Madison said, “Yea if Mrs.Woodworth gets on to us it is your fault.”

The bell rang and we walked out of the bathroom and to the classroom. The principle stoped us and took us to his office (great). Mr. Mac said, “Why are you girls out of class without permission?”

“Well Mr. Mac the kids were laughing at me and there were posters all over lockers of me crying at the homecomming dance and I have been gine for a week recovering from a car crash.”

“Well Marissa, I understand and because of this we will have an assembly about bullying. Now go onto class.”

The principle gave us a note so Mrs.Woodworth wouldn’t get mad.

When we got in class Mrs. Woodworth was reading the student adition of the newspaper to the class. We gave her our note and sat down. Everyone turned arround in their seats and started laughing at me. Mrs. Woodworth called the class to order and sent me to the principles office. The principle didn’t talk to me he just walked me to class and told the class it isn’t nice to bully and he left.

The assembly did no help probably because we have an assembly for everything. One time we had an assembly for the Canadian box day. I don’t care if Canada has a box day.

The day went by realy slow. Before the day was over Mr. Mac called me to his office. Mr. Mac told me I was going to have to lay low. I listened to his advise.

The next three days went by really fast and before I knew it, it was Friday. All the football players has their amazing blue and gold jurseys, basket ball shorts and some had blue and gold shoes and socks. Most of the girls had blue and gold finger nail polish on. I had my fingernail polish in my bag but I haven’t put any on. I went to the bathroom to put on my fingernail polish my fingernails. I got done polishing my nails when Kelly came in yelling, “Marissa, Marissa! OMG , Mrs. Calahan needs to talk to you.”

“Why?” Mrs Calahan is the chearleading coach and when I tried out I missed the team by one point.

“I don’t know why she just needs you now!” I thought it was strange that Mrs. Calahan wanted me. I walked to Mrs.C’s room and I saw my softball Coach and the Cheerleading coach in the classroom. I Walked in the room and coach Smith gave me a big hug and said, “Congradulations!”

“What do you mean coach?”

“You are varsity catcher. Hailey said you deserve the spot. Hailey got hurt and said you totally deserve it.” I didn’t know what to say. I was almost in tears when Mrs. C spoke, “Don’t cry yet M. All the cheerleaders will be here in a minute to explain.” About that time the whole squad came in. They were carring paint suplies, a sheet of paper, some hairspray, nail polish, hair brushes, makeup (there hands were full it looked like they were bring a whole bathroom with them). Kelley helped the cheerleaders put their things down then she pulled a card uot of her purse and gave it to me. I opened the card and read,

You deserve the spot.
Love the Squad

“What do you mean?” The cheerleaders looked nervus. Kelly finally spoke up and said, “We started out with 13 cheerleaders. We lost three to sports, two to home reasons and, three to squad arguments. Now we have four full time cheerleaders Caitlyn, Ronda, Destiny, and myself.”

“What happened to the other one?”

“Oh and one to recent injuries. Us cheerleaders recounted your score and you scored one point higher than Destiny. The judges must have missed it.”

“Where is Destiny?”

“Dakota broke up with her. Anyways please join the squad and we had a tean vote yesterday to see who the new captians is and you were on the balet.”

“I have been waiting along time to be a cheerleader. Yes I will join the squad!”

“Great! Here is your uniform and your jerseyfor today, we wear the jerseys durrind the school day only.” I about had a hart atack when I saw the number.

“This is Dakota’s number.”

“Yea sorry, it was the only other number we could get.”

“It’s fine i’m just going to have to get over it.”

The cheerleading meeting was over for now but we get out of our last class.

Last block came by really fast I changed into my uniform and put Koda’s jursey over it. Then headed to Mrs. C’s room. I meet Ronda dressed like me in her cheer uniform and Phill’s jursey we walked to Mrs. C’s room together in scilence. When we got to the door Destiny opened the door and told us to come in. We walked in and sat down. Mrs. C stood up and said, “Your new cheer capitan is…” All the cheerleaders started to beat their fingers on the table to imate a drum roll. “…Marissa!” Everyone turned twards me and cheered (even Destiny). Destiny stood up and said, “Why don’t we go to the commons area, which is out side the classroom door, and teach M our cheers. Destiny taught me the cheers and I had then learned in ten minutes. I was a natural. I even taught them how to be free and cheer.

After we was done cheering we went back to Mrs. C’s room to finish the run through poster. The poster was sparkley blue and sparkley gold lettring on it. It had “Titans” and the football coaches names on it. We finished the poster with 30 minutes of class left so we put it outside and laid rocks on the corners and went back to Mrs. C’s room.

We started talking about a districs poster and state poster (If we make it that far). The final bell rang and Mr. C brought in pizza. We got our poster inside and went through the cheers again.

After we went through the cheers we decided to design a coppy of the district poster whyl we eat pizza. I was just finnishing my mini poster when Mrs.C told us it was time to go to the football field. We put our mini posters on Mrs. C’s desk and then headed to the football field. Phill, Dakota, Justin, Adam and Jason were waiting for their jurseys. I took Koda’s jursey off and as I handed it to him I said, “good luck.” Dakota looked up at me and said, “Yea right you probably want us to loose.”

“Koda, if you don’t want to talk to me fime but I want you to know that I forgive you.” Dakota just turned and walked away.

Destiny came up behind me and yanked my arm and said, “Don’t glare at him. If you were too busy glaring at him, he looked hurt and he looked he wanted to say something.”

“Why are you being all nice to me all of a sudden?”

“I have finally reconised, because of you, that stealling others boyfriends is not fun or right. I like Tylar and I will do anything to make him like me again. I’m not sure Tylar will ever forgive me.”

We got to the bathroom and Destiny pulled my hair back in a pony tail then she curled my pony tail and straitened my bangs. Destiny handed me some blue and gold eye shadow. I put the eye shadow whyl Destiny done her hair like mine. Then she took the eye shadow from me and put it on. Destiny was just finishing up when Mrs.C said, “You girls have five minutes before they let people in the gates. As the Cheerleaders got done with there hair and makeup the went out side. Destiny and I were the last ones done. We walked to where the other cheerleaders were sitting and Caitlyn said, “M you were born to be a Titans cheerleader you look amazing in that outfit.”

“Thank you Caitlyn!” Mrs. C told us that people were being let in the gates. The announcer announced that there is thirty minutes before they announced the players. People started packing in the field and filling up the seats Mrs. C told us to get the run through poster and get set up. Destiny grabs the poster and unfolds it and tells the squad (since I don’t know what to do) to set up in two piramids. Destiny looks at me and says, “ronda and M will be the poster holders at the top. Kelly S and Caitlyn will hold Ronda and…” Deatiny looked for more cheerleaders but fond none. Destiny got out her cell and called Kelly C. “Kelly we need you. You are always at the games. You don’t have to rejoin but please!” Kelly C.said no. Destiny said, “We are down one cheerleader.” Tylar (in the masscot) came over. A brilliant idea poped in my head. “Hey Tylar do you mind doing a favor for us?”
“I will do anything for my cheerleaders!’
“Hey Destiny I found someone! Tylar can help!”
“He probably dosen’t want to.”
“Destiny, I do want to help and I don’t like you talking about me like I am not here.”
“Ok, Tylar you can help…” Destiny paused like she was debating on wether she should team up with Tylar. “…me hold M.” We got in our piramid possitions and Mrs. C handed me and Ronda the corners of the poster.

They announced the football players and the game began. We received the kick off.

When the half tine buzzer went off we were down by 27 points the score was 0 to 27. I felt really bad this is the only game that we haven’t been up in the first half.

This chapter on Dakota is talking.

We had a rough first half. Were walking back to the locker room when Destiny came up to me and handed me a note. I got to the locker room and thought about throwing the note in the trash but I decided against it. I opened the note and read

She still Likes, Believes, Trusts, and Wants YOU!Take her back-Destiny Smith

I was stuned. I thought Mdidm’t want anything to do with me but she waas wearing my jursey and she did tell me good luck. Maby she does care. I looked up and saw everyone was hainging their heads. I stood up on the bnch beat my fist on the locker and said, “’We havewon two games this season, we can win this one. You know a hot, wise girl once told me, have you ever seen the movie remember the Titans? Well they never gave up and neither should we. Whose with me?” Cheers erupted in the locker room. People were bainging on the lockers and shouting. Coach Martin got us settled down enough to tell us it was time to get back on the field. We went out on the field hanging our heads. The bulldogs didn’t know what was coming. We let the bulldogs get cocky and then we came back hard. By the end of the third quarter the score was 49 to 35 in our favor.

There was one minute left in the fourth quarter and the score was tied 49 to 49 we had the ball. Phill snaped the ball to our QB. I ran out ten yards and turned and saw Bill (our QB) was surrounded. I ran back to him took the ball and sprinted to the in zone. Phill, Adam, and Jason blocked the people trying to blindside me. I had 10 yards to go when a bulldog player “fell” in front of me. I prayed and jumped. I jumped just out of his reach and ran in for a touchdown as the buzzer went off. The croud erupted in cheers. I went to shake hands with the bulldogs then my team circled arround me and lifted me in the air. Everyone was chanting, “Koda, Koda, Koda, Koda.” Coach Martin told the team to put me down and settle down so he could talk, “I wan’t you to know I had a pleasure coaching you we hve had a not so great season. I’m gonna let you in on a scret we are hosting districs and we get a bye!” The whole foolball team jumped up and down and started cheering. The cheerleaders came over and cheered for us. I saw M standing by Destiny when we was getting congradulated by our supporters, fans and parrents.

Once I got out of the croud I went to Destiny and said, “Where is M?”

“She went to tell Mrs. C she was leaving then she will go to the gym to get out of her uniform then she was going to walk home.”

“Isn’t her house out in the boonies?”

“Yea.”

I went crazy thinking M was going to walk home I had to give her a ride. I ran to the locker room and I found Coach Martin in the locker room.

“Hey Koda, why are you in here? You should be out there…”

“I know. I haved messed my life up and I’m going to fix it tonight.”

“What do you mean you messed up your life? Dakota your like is football not girls.”

“Your wrong Coach. I played tonight for her. I dumped her for someone I don’t like. I want her back we belong together.”

“Dakota you are skrewing with your future career. If you make one mistake on my team your off!”

“Whatever.”

I left the locker room and got in my truck and drove to the gym. M wasn’t there.

I drove arround town looking for M and I didn’t find her. I went to the gass station to get gass in my truck and decided to let it go. I slowley drove to my house. When I got home I noticed something was on the front porch. I parked my truck and went arround to the front of the house. I noticed it wasn’t something it was someone.

“Can I help you?”

“I don’t know.” She spoke no more than a whisper.

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“I was supposted to walk home.”She stood up and I could tell she had been crying then I recconised it was M. She looked awful. Her hair was sticking out in all directions and her blue and gold make up was running down her face with tears.

“Don’t go. I need to talk to you. Come here and sit on this bench.”

“K.” She walked over and sat down. I handed her my letterman jacket and I sat on the porch railing.

“Look M, I screwed up and I know that. If you think im a jerk after this then I respect your decision…” I felt really bad for M I am a whorable conversation person. “M, Your’e the sweetest in the candy shop, Your one of the few i’d pick I’v been looking at you for a while now I’d taste before I bring you sweetness home. Your’e the chocolate covered marshmallow every one craves Your’e filling is rare, the love boys desire At first I wanted a nibble soon I…” My phone rang. I took it out of my pocket and hit ignore.

“Youre not going to answer that?”

“No, please let me finish…I realized I wanted a bite I got a sample of perfection I came back for more your filling kept giving your my sweet chocolate covered marshmallow.” By the end of the poem I was standing against the railing with my back facing M. I heard M. stand up and walk towards me. I turend arround to face her and noticed she was holding out my letterman jacket. I took it form her and closed my eyes. I couldn’t believe what was happining. I… love M,she is like my other half. But I will keep my promis. “I respect..”

“Sorry Koda, I…”

“It’s ok I understand.”

“Koda…?” I looked up at her. M put her arms arround my neck and put her head on my chest. “I am sorry.”

“What are you sorry for? You didn’t do anything. I am the one who cheeted on you.”

“I know.”

“M, I am sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Please take me back.”

“Only if you do a favor for me.”

“What is that favor?”

“Can you drive me home in your truck.”

“K why don’t you get cleaned up first.”

“Are you sure your parrents won’t mind?”

“There not home yet!”

I was driving M home in my truck. We had gotten to the end of my road when I pulled the truck over.

“What are we doing?”

“Please come over here and sit by me, please.” As M was scooting over she said, “Are you country koda?”

“What?”

“Are you country?”

I don’t knowwhat that means M!” M reached over and turned on my radio. The song that was playing was “Solo Cups by Toby Keith.”

“What kind of sond is this Koda?”

“I don’t know. You can change the station if you want.” I started driving again. M started scrolling through the radio stations and stoped on my favorite radio station (99.3). “Do you like this station Koda?”

“This is my favorite radio station M.” M poked me and said, “You are country.” I pulled the truck over and got out my i-pod and hooked it up to my radio and pressed play. The song that came on was 8 seccond ride by Jake Owens.

I got M to her house and she lifted her head off of my shoulder and kissed me. M started laughing histericaly. “What’s so funny M?”

“When I kissed you, Felt Good on my Lips by Tim McGraw came on.”

“Oh.”

“Hey do you want to drive me to the hospotiol tomorrow?”

“Sure but why?”

“I’m visiting my cousin Jake. We were in a bad car wreck on homecomming night.”

“Yea I heard about that. What time do you want me here tomorrow?”

“How about noon.”

“Sure. Hey I will have the truck, K? Oh and M, take my jacket you might need it!”

“Ok bye.”

I drove home very slowley hoping my mom and dad were not waiting for me. When I got home the poarch lights were on (great). I parked the truck and went inside.

“How dare you stay out late Dakota. You should know better, why were you out late?”

“I was taking Jason home. He needed a ride.”

“Dakota you better not ever be late again!”

I went to my rooma and slammed the door shut. I pulled out my cell and txted M

93-Hey you owe me big time!

17-What 4?

93-got home and my parrents yelled at me, I tod them I drove Jason home.

17-Sorry

93-dont worry bout it

17-what did ya want?

93-dont think im stupid but txt me a pic of you.

17-only if ya send me ur best pic.

93-K

17-K see ya 2morrow

I couldn’t go to sleep for a while but I finaly drifted to sleep.

I got up the next morning at 10:00am. I went downstairs ate breakfast and grabed my wallet and headed out.

I went to pick up M. I got to her house an hour early but surprislingly she was ready. When we got to the hospitol I let M talk me in Jakes room (Jake and I don’t get along we got in a fight once). Luckley when we went in, jake was sleeping. M said, “I want to stay here until he wakes up.” I left M my i-pod and I went to get us lunch. I came back and M was talking to Jake. I walked in gave m her food then I sat down on the couch. I looked up anda saw Jake was scowling at me. I quickly looked down and started eating. I reconised M had my i-pod on low volume and the song was Saving Amy by Brantley Gilbert I reached overa and and picked up my i-pod. I saw it was dying and I got my charger out of my pocket and pluged it in.

Jacob looked over at me and said, “M will you please leave so I can talk to Dakota?”

“Sure. Koda txt me when you are done.”

“Ok, I will.”

M left and Jacob started talking to me. “She told me what you done.”

“I told her sorry and I know I was stupid. I thought I would be better off with Destiny but I’m better off with M.”

“Don’t you dare ever let it happen again.”

“I don’t want to fight you Jake and it wont! What is your problem?”

“I don’t like football players.”

“Too bad I will quit if she doesn’t like me playing but I won’t quit because you don’t want me to be a football player.”

“I never said I don’t want you to be a football player, I just don’t trust you.”

“Jacob what will it take for you to trust me?”

“I’m getting released tomorrow and I can go back to my normal activities Friday what do you say we get to know eachother?”

“sure if I have time.”

“Marissa has my cell number you can get it from her.”

“K.” I picked up my phone and texted M.

I left M and Jake to talk a while. I went walking trying to soak in everything Jake said. It kind of sounded like he wanted to be my friend but maby he just wanted to trust me.

I didn’t get to see M the rest of the weekend and school went by realy fast that week at school. On Friday M stoped me in the halway between class and said, “what’s wrong, you have been zoned out these last few days.”

“I’m sorry M. I just can’t figure Jake out. One seccond he hates me and the next he wants to be my friend.”

“Oh I understand. No one can figure Jake out.”

“I think…I’m going to take him up on his offer and get to know him.”

“That is good.”

“M do you have his number so I can call him?”

“Yes.” M gave me Jakes number and she settled down.

I waited till Saturday to call Jake. It took half the day for him to call me back. Jake invited M and Me over for a backetball game. I went to pick up M and then we headed over to Jakes house.

I beat Jake 21 to 10 in one on one (we were going to 21).

The next few days I was spending time with M and playing backetball with Jake.

After a game Jake came up to me and said, “I trust you. You are the most amazing person M will ever find. And no matter how many times you beat me I will always fing it fun to play basketball with you.”

“Thank you Jake.”

That weekend was the State championchip football game our run through poster said, “Remember The Titans!” The poster was amazing.

We ended up winning state. We got a banner and a plaque. When we went to the sports banquet I was elected the MVP.
Most people will call me crazy when I say, “Mone of that matters the only thing that matters is I got M and an amazing friend, Jacob.

M ended up quitting chearleading and softball and took up horse back ridding and showing as a hobbie. I quit football my Jurnior year when my ACL bursted making a touchdown. I later found enjoyment in Bulldogging, cattle roping and horse back riding.

Two years after high school I asked M to marry me and we got married that next spring. We now have two beautiful childreen Jacob and Destiny Grindstaff. Our family is facing life as it comes, but right now we are going to live as one small happy family.

This book has 1 comment.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I think you have a really great storyline, but there are lots of grammar errors, puncuation errors, and run on sentences. Those need to be fixed! You've got a great story, otherwise. I couldn't put it down