War for the Universe | Teen Ink

War for the Universe

July 21, 2011
By Bgeekgirl24 GOLD, bellefontaine, Ohio
More by this author
Bgeekgirl24 GOLD, Bellefontaine, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
Eat healthy. Excersize daily. Die anyway.


Author's note: Please comment. It leaves off because this is the very beginning of a novel that I am writing and I plan to get it published. I would really appreciate to hear what you like or dislike about it, and what I will need to edit before getting it published. So please comment!

You will never really understand what war is like until you experience it. But you can get a better grasp on the subject if you listen to someone’s story of how they experienced it. You can learn that war is not what it seems. It is not worse nor is it better than what you hear on the news all the time. It’s a completely different story altogether. Who does the news put the spotlight on? Well those of whom they think are the most important. The ones that they think deserve to be shown on TV. But what about those who keep the whole thing going? The ones who supply all of the weapons and control the communication? Or all of those big tanks and transportation that all of our soldiers are using? Nah, I’m not talking about the old war in Iraq or World War II, I’m talking about the War for the Universe.

“Come on Sam!” I whispered from under the old oak in someone’s backyard. “They’re coming!”

He took a good look around before dashing across the grass, slippery from the morning dew. I grabbed his hand as we made a run for the woods, using the cover of the bushes to hide. We made it to the tree line and ducked behind a pile of old, rotting wood. I peeked above the wood quickly to see if we were being followed. After a second look around I had confirmed that the coast was clear, but I was still wary.

“Why are they after us?” he panted.

“Not sure. But we are going to be okay,” I assured him.

“Well we have to get out of here fast or they will be eating us for breakfast!” He looked scared, but I laughed at him anyway.

“Listen, Momma’s boy, I didn’t save your life so that you could just chicken out on me. Besides, if we run they will just track us down by our scent. We have to kill them.”

“What?!? You can’t just waltz right back in there and shoot them all! They will just call for more reinforcements anyway.” He looked at me in disbelief.

“Hmm, smart thought. But communication isn’t like it used to be. It’s not like 60 years ago when they had a satellite up in space. They have communication towers. And there is one about a mile from here. We climb up there, displace the signal and……..”

“Ok, have fun dying while you do that. I will just take my chances at the military base which is that way,” he interrupted. He took a thin finger and pointed in a southerly direction. “That is where we need to go.”

“What, and lead them to one of the only human bases in the country? I don’t think so.” It wasn’t worth the risk just for our little, insignificant lives.

He looked at me stupidly for a moment. Then he sighed and said “Okay, but let’s make it fast.”

I told him to follow me as we began our one mile trek to the communications tower. We had to move quickly or they would catch up to us and kill us with no remorse.

These horrifying creatures wanted nothing more than to gain control of everything. Years ago, humans had ruled the Milky Way galaxy, not knowing that there was any other life in the universe. Many had their theories but they were all unable to show any proof. Now, this proof is here, and it is trying to kill us. You see, it all started in the year of December 21, 2012. That was supposedly the year that the world was supposed to end when some smart ego maniac predicted it. Well I guess he wasn’t so crazy after all because that was the day that all electronics and communications crashed. The planet began to panic and eventually, life as we knew it was over. Our own kind was killing one another for food, water and weapons. The armies were unable to control all of their civilians because they were outnumbered. But the worst part came when these creatures began falling from the sky. They killed anything that got in their way. They destroyed buildings, all of our satellites, and eventually our moon. And this affected our gravity. It altered our atmosphere. It stopped the ocean tides almost completely. And one of the scariest things to think about is that earth’s population went from over 6 billion, to under 300,000 people.

Well I guess you’re wondering who the heck I am. My name is Sierra like, you know, the Sierra Nevada’s. Well there is a reason I’ve survived so long. A couple of “friends” and I have formed a sort of gang so that we could help each other. The reason me and this kid Sam are in this situation is because we were out looking for food. Well little did we know that some of these disgusting creatures were around and they started to shoot at us as they tried to catch us. And then you have the beginning of this whole mess. This is a messed up world and now, the people who are left have to be either very tough, or very smart. Well I hate to brag but…. I’m both.

As we approached the tower, I heard a twig snap. At the last possible second, I grabbed Sam and pulled him to a nearby tree that we could hide behind. A split second after that, two of the creatures came out of the woods across from us. I heard them speak, but not in English. They used a language where they clicked their tongues, or whatever they had. What they said was inaudible, so I was unsure if they noticed us or not. I looked around and saw no one else. That was good, but these things had a way of sneaking up on you.

“I have to get up to the top of the tower,” I whispered in Sam’s ear.

He nodded. “I may be a kid but I can be useful. I’ll buy you some time. But I need a weapon just in case.” He whispered back.

I was unsure if I should give this 16 year old kid a gun, but I had no choice. I pulled out a 9mm pistol and put it in his hand. “Use it wisely. I don’t have a lot of ammo.”

I began to make my way around the edge of the woods until I get to a side that I could see everything. The tower, those ugly creatures, and Sam. I gave Sam the nod to let him know it’s time. I was surprised that they fell for what he did. He simply took a rock and through it into to woods behind them. They instantly went into action. They reach behind their head and ripped a huge gun from their back. They run into the woods in search of what made the noise.

“Go Si!” Sam yelled. Any other time I would have told him to shut up but now there was no point. The creatures were already coming back. Oh and there may be a slight hunch about how I’m still alive. And my “clan” of friends (I really dislike calling us a gang, it’s just a cover up). We aren’t exactly human either. Really, we don’t even know what to call ourselves. Let’s just say that we have “enhanced” natural powers. We can run faster, jump higher, see farther, hear better, and we are a lot stronger.

I jump as high as I possibly can and I make it halfway up the tower. I have to climb the rest of the way. But then I have a better idea. I jump back down to the bottom and I back up so that I can get a running start. I run fast straight at the tower’s base as I slam into it with all of my power. It barely moves. I was thinking that I would climb back up but there would be no time.

The creatures (I really need to give those things a name) were back and they were ticked off for being fooled. They point their weapons right at me and Sam. They’re fast, but sadly for them, I’m faster. I reach around as fast as lightning and grab the AR off my back. I kneel down and aim at the larger one, who was aiming at me. I would have helped Sam but he really needs a wakeup call. And he needs to learn to grow up.

“Ahhhh!!!!” I heard Sam scream. I looked over at him and it looked as if he was shot. But it just barely grazed his arm.

I instantly felt pain in my left leg. It hurt. Not the kind of hurt you get from a sore arm or knee. But a hurt that shot straight through you. A hurt than made you cry out in pain. A hurt that would last a long time.


“You stupid kid!” I screamed at him. I reached over and grabbed my AR. I aimed at the one that shot me. I squeezed the trigger and it seemed almost as if everything was in slow motion. I watch the bullet as it traveled through the air. It spun in perfect circles, traveling to its intended target. I heard the shriek of the thing as the bullet passed straight through its slimy little heart. The other one, hearing this, ran off into the wood.

I lay there, spitting and sputtering blood everywhere. Sam comes over to me with a sorrowful face.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to scream and get you shot or anything….” He had his hand up against his barely bleeding arm.

“You are stupid and childish!” I screamed at him. I looked down at my leg. Blood was pouring out of it from where I was shot. I was getting drowsy from the loss, and I needed to stop the bleeding.

“Here,” he ripped off the bottom of his jeans and tossed it to me.

I took the denim and pressed it on my leg. It took about 20 minutes for the bleeding to stop. He already had his arm wrapped. When he saw that it had stopped he ripped of a clean, bloodless piece off of his now shorts length jeans. I took it and cried out in pain when I tied it to my leg tight. I then tried to stand up, which was not a good idea. I instantly collapsed. I braced for the impact with the ground but it never came. Somehow, Sam had caught me. But the thing was, a few seconds ago he stood in front me about ten feet. Now he was directly behind me.

“How did you do that?” I asked him.

“How did I do what?” He answered back. He gave me a look that said, “I hope you’re stupid enough to fall for my lies.”

“Listen, kid, I’m not going to play these games. And don’t tell me you don’t know what I’m talking about. You were like 10 feet over there,” I pointed in front of me, “And now you’re right here.” I gave him a stern look.

“Ok, you got me,” he sighed as if he was just defeated in some kind of competition. “I-i-i…….,” he stuttered.

“You what?”

“I work out,” he gave me the most irritable look and hung his head down.

That is what set me off. He was putting on his smart remarks mode. I had a rush of energy burst out of me. I jumped up and grabbed my AR. I shoved myself into him and pushed him against a tree. I shoved the barrel of the gun right in his face.

“I think it’s about time someone teaches you a lesson,” I growled at him and bared my teeth. “We don’t have time for someone like you to screw around. You almost got me killed. Unless you start growing up fast, I WILL kill you!”

I expected him to shudder with fear. I expected him to apologize for being the annoying brat that he is. I expected him to at least agree with me. But of all things I did not expect him to laugh. He downright laughed in my face. I was shocked when he did this. My finger slid to the trigger.

“Oh Sierra.” He laughed. “Troubled, naïve Sierra. You won’t shoot me. You need me. You don’t know it yet but you will.” He smirked but then his face turned serious. “You didn’t think I was human did you? I didn’t need your help when you ‘saved’ me. I don’t need your help. I have never needed your help. And I will never, in the future, need your help.” He had pushed the barrel of my gun so that it was out of his face and pointed into the air.

I was very confused but I now had the feeling that he was a threat to me and my clan. I had to protect myself. I was not going to take my chances.

“I am also not what you think I am. You think you are tough, whatever you are, but I can do more than you know.” That is when I remembered why we were here in the first place. “You know what we should have done in the first place?” I took the gun out of his hand. Without looking I pointed the gun at the top of the tower and squeezed the trigger. I heard the bullet make contact with the satellite that the creatures built. No more signal now.

“Why the heck didn’t you just do that before?” He asked angrily.

“Well if I did then I wouldn’t have found out that you aren’t what you seem.” I said to him.

“Yeah but you would have found out eventually. Besides, if you had done that you wouldn’t have got shot.” He looked angry for some odd reason. I just decided to let it go.

“I’ll heal soon enough,” I said as I turned around. “Oh, and you had better watch your back. I never trust someone I don’t know.” I started off into the woods. I was in the mood to kill something.

As we approached the house, I listened intently to our surroundings. I heard nothing.

“Ok, aside from the fact that we don’t trust each other, we need to work together. I will sneak up on the other side and go through the front door; you go through the back door there.”

“Why the heck do we have to kill them? They didn’t follow us to the tower.” He argued.

“Listen, Sam.” I told him.

“Listen to what?”

“Exactly. You don’t hear anything. They did follow us to the tower. As a matter of fact, they are watching us right now.” I said, a little worried that they would try to shoot us.

“Well then what’s the point of going into the house?” He just kept giving me those stupid facial expressions, and asking the dumbest questions like he has no idea what was going on.

“Because if we don’t, then they will know that we’ve seen them. Just do what I say and we will get this over with and head back to the clan.”

“Whatever,” he mumbled as he started towards the door.

I was sick and tired of all the crap that was going on. My leg hurt badly and I needed medical attention. I literally ran and jumped over the house. Now that they were unable to see me, I ran straight through the locked door. I saw Sam already in the house.

“You know, you should probably give me that gun back. You don’t want two of us bleeding out.” I really didn’t feel comfortable giving it to him, but I really had no choice. They were already on the move.

“Like I said before, I don’t have a lot of ammo so use it wisely.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. How many of those things are out there?” He was so full of himself. And extremely cocky.

“You know, something tells me you already know that.” I knew he did.

“6 counting their leader,” he said with a grin.

“Alright, here they come. Oh wow they are so stupid. Coming through the same door, all at one time? Sounds like something you would do.” Who had the grin now?

“Ha-ha you’re hilarious. You crack the cheesiest jokes I have ever heard.” He shook his head in shame.

“Oh yeah, and you think you have something better?” Now I could see the creatures. The disgusting things. They could either crawl like a four legged creature or they could walk like a human.

“Yes, actually, I do.” He grunted as one of the creatures apparently came too close to him and he shoved the gun in its mouth and pulled the trigger. “Woohoo! Nothin’ like blowin’ these thing’s little brains out!” He had a huge grin on his face and he actually seemed like he was having fun killing these things.

“Well then let’s hear it!” I said to him. I had just flung one into a set of kitchen knives that were lying on the counter.

“Well one day, a panda walks into a coffee shop and orders a sandwich,” he ran out of ammo, so he dropped the gun and used his fighting skills to crush a couple of skulls. “Then the waiter brings his sandwich to him,” he got flung up against a wall as he said this so he said, “Get off me you stupid slime ball!” That made me laugh. “The panda eats his sandwich and then he pulls out a gun and shoots the waiter dead.” He stumbles into me and I shove him away. “The panda gets up to leave when the coffee shop manager yells, ‘Hey Panda! You didn’t pay for your sandwich, you shot my waiter, and now you just leave?’” We had killed all but one, the leader. “Then the panda yells, ‘Hey! I’M A PANDA. Look it up!’ Then the waiter grabs out his little handy dandy pocket sized dictionary. He found the word panda and read it aloud……” He cries out in pain when the creature literally slaps him across the face. I grab my knife and slice it right across its neck. It falls to the ground.

“I think you can finish your joke now.” I grinned.

He rolls his eyes but then says, “PANDA: A black and white marsupial originating from Asia, eats shoots and leaves.”

I laugh and somehow, I don’t know why, but at that moment I didn’t hate him anymore. “Wow and the time it took you to tell that story, we killed 6 of those things!” I smile and he smiles. I sigh and he sighs.

“Well, that was interesting,” He said almost in a whisper. He steps closer to me. I feel his breath on my forehead. Oh and did I mention that this kid was over 6 foot?

“Well we should be heading back,” I said in a disturbed tone. I couldn’t even think about being with him. He was 10 years younger than me. It would be breaking the law. But then again, where are the people to yell at us. To send me to jail for being with a minor? That’s right. They’re dead.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Jul. 25 2011 at 9:30 am
Bgeekgirl24 GOLD, Bellefontaine, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
Eat healthy. Excersize daily. Die anyway.

Thanks you guys. I should have mentioned that I have not edited this book at all. It is completly original and I have changed nothing. I just wanted to see how people would like it the way it is.

Kailey4 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 24 2011 at 9:56 pm
Kailey4 BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 articles 3 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Né io pitorre" - Michelangelo

In the second chapter it felt sort of rushed...you could have used a lot more description. Just slow down a bit, and use the amazing describing skills I know you have. It feels like you spent a lot more time in the beginning than everything else. You also sort of added some things in last minute--it kind of threw me off. Other than that it was great!!

Kailey4 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 24 2011 at 9:53 pm
Kailey4 BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 articles 3 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Né io pitorre" - Michelangelo

I like how you described in the beginning--good dialogue!! Also I thought it was cool how you snuck in the time with the "60 years ago..." It makes me want to read more--I like these kinds of stories;)_